Cover Image: Werewoofs

~

WereWoofs, by Joelle Sellner, Val Wise
★★★★★
160 Pages

Wow! The world is fully of judgy, moody teenagers. Who are, apparently, weres... Except, they're not.
At first, I was a bit worried, because all the kids seemed to be bratty and annoying, but then...weren't we all, at that age? As the story progressed, you really saw how each character had their own journey, that they grew and matured over the time they spent together.

This was a great YA comic with a lot of heart and touching moments. You've got your jock, your geek, your fierce gay kid, and the loner-loser type that fills every school. Here, they push beyond their boundaries to become friends and we even see some romantic sparks.

The artwork was really nice and fitted the story well. Overall, a great read.
The graphics are pretty good. Reminds me of lumberjanes and that’s why I started reading and besides who doesn’t love werewolves trying to blend with humans. It’s cute and I’d totally recommend it to ppl who like fantasy like that.
NOTE: This review will be published sometime in February 2022 on noflyingnotights.com. If you would like a direct link, email me at lisa@rabey.net.

It’s been a few decades since I was a teen but the memory of what it was like is still prescient. The pressure of getting good grades; figuring out who I was; dealing with trauma like losing a parent, these are all universal themes and something we can all relate to in one way or another.

The kids of the midwestern town of Howlette (get it? Howl-lette) have a lot going on. Jae works for his parent’s jewelry store while twins Isabelle and Lorenzo, whose parents are never home, have unrequited crushes on Jae and Jaxon respectively. Alvern lost his parents and recently moved to Howlette from Philadelphia. Mara’s father, the alpha of the local werewolf pack, has gone missing and her mom has been gone from her life for years. There is a lot going on for the kids, plus the pressure of doing well in school, getting ready for college, fitting in, and just overall being kids. I may remember what it was like to go through some of those things but being right in the moment of them is sharper still.

One day, the kids are attacked by a quartet of vicious dogs. Mara, the lone wolf (get it?) comes in to save them. She directs the kids on how to clean up their wounds and the kids are grateful for her kindness. The following day, the wounds have all nearly healed but individually the kids don’t feel so hot. When Jae turns into an Airdale in the nurse’s office, you know things are going to change and quickly.

With a slight horror twist, Werewoofs is also a mystery to find Mara’s dad who has disappeared. Mara’s familial relationships also come into play in a big way when her cousin Zev takes over as alpha and attempts to turn the pack from peace loving and working with humans to wanting to destroy humans and take over Howlette.

There is a lot going on here as the kids work together and individually on their stuff: Lorenzo becomes a dog to befriend his crush Jaxon to the kids working together to help protect Jae’s parents from a robbery done by Mara’s cousin Zev and the rest of the werewolf pack as well as solve the mystery of what happened to Mara’s dad.

Joelle Sellner is a versatile writer having written everything for advertising campaigns for Lexus and Kleenex to movies on The Hallmark Channel and Lifetime. She also has a long resume of animation writing for such projects as Lego Friends, DC Super Hero Girls, and Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes. If that weren’t enough, she’s also written for Blizzard, DC, and Marvel. She’s got the chops and it shows. The script is tightly plotted and the characters are fully realised so you get to experience the pain and joy of all the kids as well as the adults. She leaves no stone unturned and makes sure all the plot points are covered.

Val Wie is an illustrator who has worked on the graphic novel Cheer Up!: Love and Pom Poms as well as anthologies and other works for YA and adults. Wise’s work concentrates on the body, transness, and romance which is evident here. The character come in a wide range of sizes, genders, and sexual identities as well as racial backgrounds. The art feels natural and akin to our daily lives where we come in contact with all sorts of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and in Werewoofs, this is very important. While the kids are fairly self-confident in who they are, there are some struggles such as Lorenzo grappling with his queerness and his single statement to his sister that she doesn’t get what it’s like to be him. (Thankfully, Lorenzo gets his crush.)

This graphic is styled as being volume one and I hope that is true. The kids of Howlette have earned a fan and seeing more stories, solving more mysteries, and learning about themselves and others would make for a great read.

The age range of the book is 12 - 17 but I heartily recommend it for all ages. It will be a great addition to collections that showcase diversity, equity, and inclusion as not only a great starting point to talk to kids about the changes they are about to go through but also to have the representation of those changes.
2 stars.  Thank you Netgalley for the arc.  This graphic novel had potential but it just fell short.  There were too many characters who weren't distinguishable enough and fell flat.  The idea of werewolf dogs was a cute idea but the plot couldn't carry the cuteness.  There was zero atmosphere and the villain was ridiculous.  The art style was great but that's about it.
Werewolves, werewoofs, small town drama…this graphic novel was a lot! It was cute at first then took a dark turn. I’m curious to see how the next one will play out.
Werewoofs is a new graphic novel written and illustrated by Joelle Sellner and Vale Wise. Since I've been craving a good werewolf story (ideally one with a sense of humor), I couldn't resist nabbing this one for a quick read.

High school can be tough – nobody is going to argue that point. But one group of friends in the Midwest is going through more changes than the average teen, for they all have begun turning into weredogs.

No, they don't know why this is happening. But they're hoping to find out. In the meantime, they're going to help their new friend, Mara, find her missing father. Who also happens to be a werewolf, naturally.

Werewoofs is somehow very odd and cute – in almostperfectly equal proportions. There are elements to enjoy from this graphic novel, that much is certain. I personally really enjoyed learning about each of the characters. In fact, I would have loved it if more time had been spent on this element.

I'm going to give bonus points for having cute weredog forms (I love it), a solid sense of humor, fantastic friendships (we could all use a friend group that loyal), and LGBT representation. On that note, I will give props for the art style. Not only was it a ton of fun, but it was the perfect complement to this plot.
Thank you to netgalley for providing an e-galley for review. Werewoofs suffers from younger cover syndrome. This has a lot more going on than the cover suggests. Standing up to your family, death, werewolves and working with people who are different that you.
Mara a lone wolf at her high school is an actual werewolf. Her world is turned upside when her father goes missing and a group of kids mysteriously turn into weredogs. Being an expert on shapeshifting herself, Mara tries to help her classmates cope with their new skills while hiding her true identity. Would appeal to late elementary to middle school graphic novel readers.
A unique twist on the werewolf legend! Werewoofs is a neat cartoon about a group of teens who unexpectedly turn into were-dogs after being bitten by wild dogs. They must learn to navigate these new changes alongside the threat of a new werewolf alpha and his grand plans for domination.
Thanks to the publisher for providing an eARC of Werewoofs in exchange for an honest review.

I think this was a really cute concept but think it needed either a few less characters or to start showing us them bonding earlier on so we can get more invested in them as a group. Still, I think this was a fast, quirky graphic novel.
Werewoofs is a middle-grade graphic novel about a group of kids who all turn into shapeshifters and form a supportive friend group. The characters were diverse enough to be relatable to kids today. I liked the way their interactions with one another were thoughtful and considerate, and when a kid was being rude, they would call each other on it.

There was quite a bit of backstory included and multiple plots were happening at the same time, so it seems like the foundation for a series. This would be a great addition to middle-grade and up graphic novel collections.
This book was, in many ways, not what I was expecting. It overall feels disjointed, chaotic, and like it can't decide what it wants to focus on so it just briefly touches on too many things. I liked the premise of the book, the artwork, and the main character. I'm pretty much always on board with werewolves so it didn't take too much for me to like that part of this book, and I liked the little twist on that idea with the weredogs. The artwork was great! I like the use of the colors and the emotions the characters convey through the illustrations. Mara was one of the best parts of this book, in my opinion. She was opinionated, stuck to her guns, and courageous. I liked her spunk and liked that a vulnerable side of her showed throughout the book as well.

That being said, there was a lot about this book that I didn't like. The pacing was really weird. The dialogue could sometimes be hard to follow because the flow didn't always feel the most natural. Similarly, the timeline from scene to scene was often really vague and it became difficult to track the amount of time that had passed between scenes. On top of that, it sometimes felt like things had been happening in between scenes that we couldn't see but that were still somewhat important to the continuity of the story. the pacing was even weird when it came to the action throughout the book. Things didn't feel very intense in the beginning of the book and then suddenly at the end things are extremely intense. I didn't feel much buildup to this point so it was really disorienting when the change happened.

There are also so many different conflicts that are trying to take center-stage and as a result everything seems to be pushed to the sides. Nothing really got the time that it deserved and it meant that everything felt forced together and was left largely unresolved. The ending was extremely jarring and didn't seem to fit with the tone in the rest of the book. This threw me so off and made me question why the rest of the book was written the way it was. If the rest of the book had been written with a similar tone as the ending I would be much less confused by where it came from.

So really, I just didn't care for this book. Mara and the artwork were the primary redeeming factors in this book. If it hadn't been for the messy plotting and writing this could've been a much better book. I couldn't get into the story and found it too difficult to follow. The pacing was either too slow and boring or escalated from nowhere and threw me off. I can't say that I'd be in a rush to read anything else from this author but I would like to see more of Wise's illustrations.
Thank you to NetGalley and New Paradigm for allowing me to read this graphic novel. It was a cute story about a group of teens who get turned into werewolves. This story was a bit more intense than I expected it to be, but the illustrations were very well done.
In this graphic novel we follow Mara and her family, a pack of werewolves as they try to navigate life in their small town. When Mara's father goes missing, her new friends (who can transform into dogs after getting bitten) help her try to find out what happened to him. Meanwhile, her cousin Zev, has taken over as alpha of the pack and is forcing everyone to rob businesses in town in order to get money. Can Mara and her new friends find her dad and stop Zev before it's to late?

This was a really great graphic novel. I enjoyed all of the characters and the artwork was very nice as well. Overall, I think that this book was a great read. If you like the supernatural then I think this is the book for you!
Although I loved the premise, I couldn't quite get into this story. I found the pacing a bit slow, and it was a little hard to keep track of so many characters.
Werewoofs is a fun and engaging story that deals with friendship, family, acceptance and struggle finding your own place and strengths.
I liked the idea, which was original, and the story open to many other possible ramifications of the narrative that I would love to read.

There are some weaknesses: first of all, the presence of so many main characters makes it difficult to give a good characterization of them, so by the end you have general information for each one but you still miss that connection that is necessary to fall in love with a story.
On the other side, some plot twist that were functional for the story itself seemed nonetheless cringy to the point of absurdity.

In general it's a nice and reading that I would reccomend to a young target! I can't wait to read more of the story in the future.
I received an advanced copy of Werewoofs through Netgalley so I could share my review with you!

When a group of high school students are turned into weredogs in an unexpected attack, they are forced to work together in spite of their many differences.  They find an unlikely ally in Mara, a werewolf from a nearby family, who is searching for her missing father.  Together this group of “Werewoofs” will stand up against a dangerous rival pack and learn important truths about themselves along the way!

You can get your copy of Werewoofs today from New Paradigm Studios!

I love Val Wise’s illustration style so much, I specifically requested Werewoofs so that I could read another story with his art!  I cannot imagine a more perfect pairing than Wise’s illustrations and Joelle Sellner’s werewolf storyline.  I especially enjoyed how the characters connected with each other, and how they drove the plot forward.  Werewoofs feels like the book equivalent of a classic childhood Halloween movie!

My Recommendation-
If you have been looking for a fun graphic novel to help crush your end-of-year reading goal, you should pick up a copy of Werewoofs!  This story would be perfect for people who aren’t quite ready to move on from the Halloween monster aesthetic of last season.
I'm always craving new werewolf stories and I was very excited when I saw this graphic novel in Netgalley's catalogue! The plot was intriguing and the art looked adorable based on the cover.

I was right about the artwork - it was consistent throughout the whole story and it was enjoyable to look at. Unfortunately, the story was trying to do too many things at once.

From Mara being an outcast at school to Mara's father disappearing out of nowhere to having plotlines with other characters, there was A LOT going on in this short graphic novel. It felt messy and it took awhile for all of the storylines to interconnect and make sense. The discovery
behind Mara's father's disappearance was jarring and didn't fit with the mood of the rest of the story.

Overall, I enjoyed reading this but I wish it had been a little more cohesive.
Thank you for the e-arc of this book.

First of all, when I saw a werewolf story with representation and lgbtqia+ characters, I had to read it.

I love the graphic work in the story. it's the second book that I've read with Val Wise's work, and now, I can totally say that I really love this artist.
What about the story? I have to admit, I was waiting for a darker story, but it's still a good book. The characters are pretty good, the story has a pretty good end, it could be a stand-alone. The idea of weredogs is funny, and even if the story has a spooky side, I found it kinda cute.

So not what I was waiting for. But still a good and cute sotry.
I expected this graphic novel to be a bit too childish for my taste because of the title, but it was actually such a fun read!

Mara is forced to live her high school life as a loner out of fear of being outed as a werewolf. But after a group of friends at her school inexplicably get turned into weredogs, she feels obligated to help them adjust to their new powers. Especially because it may all be related to the disappearance of her father.

I adored the diverse cast of characters in this book! We see different shapes, skin colours, and sexualities all represented in these high school characters, which made the book feel that much more real (despite the obvious fantasy themes).

The art style was so fun and gorgeous. It almost felt like watching those animated TV-shows you used to watch as a kid. What a throwback!

The only thing that may have felt a bit “off” to me was the instant friendship between the characters, even though some of them used to laugh at Mara just the week before. Though I liked how supportive they were of her eventually.

For a moment, I forgot this was supposed to be the first volume in a series so I was happily surprised it ended on a kind of “open ending”. I’m very excited to see where the rest of the story goes!

It may not have a revolutionary, mind-blowing plot but it’s definitely a fun read for all ages! It comes out December 1st so you don’t have to wait that long!

Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with a digital e-arc of this graphic novel!