Cover Image: Neuroscience

Neuroscience

I have been reading many books on Neuroscience recently and this one is both narrow in its scope and to technical for most general audiences. You can do much better by making a different selection.
A fascinating look at the brain and it’s complexity.  Featuring photographs, diagrams and profiles of key figures, this book provides a wonderful grounding in the study of neuroscience through history.  Amazing and insightful read!
This was an easier read than what I thought it would be. It covered the entire history of neuroscience but had only bits of modern day neuroscience. It was a very interesting read; history can be so bizarre. I enjoyed this book, it was well written, and so fascinating.
I really enjoyed this. It was a bit different from what I expected so I believe the title should be changed since this deals a lot with neuroscience throughout history and how ideas evolved and got to where they are today and not exactly a lot of recent knowledge. That said it is an easy read and there was a lot of things in here I didn't know, specially the older less famous ones.
I would recommend this to anyone interested in the subject that either doesn't know a lot about it or wants a simple introduction to the history side of it.
A really interesting and engaging read that provides lots of insight into the human mind. There was lots of amazing insights into this book and I found it really good to read
This is a very interesting book but the key description should be in the title “ the study of neuroscience through history”. It is a historical look at the discovery and development of learning in the subject with very little reference to current learnings. Subtitled “unlocking the mysteries of the brain and consciousness” I mistakenly expected much more about current research in neurology and consciousness.
A provocative and brief overview of neuroscience with many pearls of wisdom and interesting facts relevant to this fascinating field. Definitely a good book for those who want to better appreciate what we know and don't know yet about the amazing human brain.
There was some cute wording and the book was easy to read. It looks at neuroscience through history so it isn’t a technical book. The book got bogged down a bit at the discussion of the soul. I also think there was information missing. A better book on the subject is “The Tale of the Dueling Neurosurgeons'' by Sam Kean. Thank you to Netgalley and Arcturus Publishing for the advance reader copy.
Neuroscience by Anne Rooney is a nice historical overview of what has led us to our current understanding of neuroscience.

This particular volume in the Fundamentals series is light on where we currently stand in the field but very good in the debates and experiments that have informed our progress. While one comes away with a good idea of what we know in the bigger picture there is very little focused information that really helps a reader understand today's debates a lot better

That said, this historical overview does establish a good foundation for those wanting to learn more and points to various topics for deeper dives. In this way it can serve the lay reader quite well.

If you want to know more science than is here there are certainly plenty of books that offer simple explanations and, I know from taking them, there are some wonderful MOOCs available on the subject. This book combined with other books and/or MOOCs will give an excellent basic understanding.

Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via NetGalley.
This is an interesting book on the history of neuroscience. It's not about the modern practice or study of neuroscience, although these topics are brushed on at the end. If you're looking for a book on the current state of neuroscience, this isn't it. If you're interested in the superstitions and conjectures about the brain, cognition, and consciousness through the ages, then this book is for you.

Thanks, NetGalley, for the ARC I received. This is my honest and voluntary review.