Cover Image: How to Raise an Antiracist

How to Raise an Antiracist

How to Raise an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi is both an intensely personal memoir and a throughly researched explanation about the societal harms of racism and the importance of teaching antiracist values and actions to our children. Kendi’s writing is clear and compassionate and designed to leave parents, teachers, and caregivers feeling empowered and hopeful about their ability to engage in antiracist practices and teachings for the next generation.

Thank you to the NetGalley, author, and publisher for providing me a digital copy of this book for review.
This is one of the best books I read this year. This isn't just for people who are raising children, this is a book for everyone that needs to be put on your TBR pile right now. I'll read anything Ibram X. Kendi reads. I may have received this from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review, I would have bought this anyway. Read this, it's eye opening.
I think any book that equips adults to talk to kids about tough topics is a good one. This book certainly does that. It would be good for any parent or caregiver to read - especially if they are the type of people who don't have to agree with every single thing in a book to read it. Certainly, it challenged me and made the think about some new ideas.
This is an important and timely book that is an absolute must-read. At a time when there are increased efforts to ban "controversial titles" that address the legacy of race and racism in America and how that legacy impacts children, this book makes an important argument that kids need to be taught about these issues in ways that they can understand.
Thanks to netgalley for the gifted copy. This is my second book from this author. Well researched and beautifully written, he mixes research with personal stories from his life. Switching back and forth from the individual to the community at large, he shares practical steps to be an antiracist caregiver, the importance of doing so, and consequences from society largely not having done so.
A great overview of antiracism for parents, teachers and anyone who interacts with children. A bit denser than other books of this type that I have read. I appreciated that it was structured by age grouping.
As someone who thoroughly was challenged by Kendi's original novel, How To Be an Antiracist, I was anxious to see how this adapted version would be.  I found this to be extremely helpful for parents and caregivers to help guide conversations with children.
How to raise an Antiracist is a perfect resource for anyone who has children in their lives.  Dr. Kendi gives a lot of personal examples of some of the issues surrounding racism, as well as great ways to combat some of the issues we have to deal with.  There are a lot of questions answered in this much needed resource and very well researched.  Phenomenal and very important read.
1000% excited I was able to read this book. There are so many topics that feel impossible to talk about with our children and How to Raise an Antiracist brilliantly captures the real, meaningful conversations that need to be taking place between parents and their children at any age. Definitely one to keep on hand and come back to as my children grow and have more questions.
Much like his earlier book, How to be an Antiracist, Kendi approaches this book through anecdotes and stories of his own life. This time, however, he does it through the lens of a young father. He broaches the subjects of class, race, colorism, and sexism as he works to describe the things to think about as your child grows and learns. I found this book to be less of a step by step guide and more of a lens through which to see the world and approach life with your little one.
[#partner One World Books & NetGalley]

📚B IS FOR BOOK REVIEW📚

📔Title: How to Raise an Antiracist
🖋Author: Ibram X. Kendi
🗓Pub Date: 06.14.22

🗂Genre:
Nonfiction - Racism, childhood development, parenting

📖Synopsis:
Ibram X. Kendi expands upon his bestselling book How to Be an Antiracist, focusing on how parents, teachers, and communities can raise children to be Antiracist too.

💭Thoughts:
Having already read Kendi’s Stamped from the Beginning and How to Be an Antiracist, I went into this book excited to learn more specific strategies to use with my almost 7-year-old son. While I enjoyed Kendi’s storytelling about his own upbringing as well as raising his daughter thus far, I didn’t get what I was hoping out of this one. If you are familiar with Antiracist theory or have read How to Be an Antiracist already, you will likely find much of this book duplicative. If you haven’t, there are definitely some things to learn here.

🗣Recommended to read instead:
If I had to pick 1 of the 2, I’d say go for How to Be an Antiracist instead
Well done. He easily weaves in the personal with the research and the understanding of the kinds of conversations that one needs to have with their children that can create a more empathetic adult. As well as one that can see the challenges in the policies and not the people. Can go deep into the whys and not simply fall back on the racist tropes. A helpful text for parents and caregivers of all stripes. The question with this book and indeed all of his books, will people take heed?
Part guidebook, part memoir this books gives parents an insight into another parent's journey from their own childhood to that of their child.

Kendi shared insight into what certain experiences feel like - not only from a parent's perspective, but also from that of a child experiencing them and not fully understanding the why.

There are thought provoking questions and suggestions to guide your child through conversations about race and action steps for parents and youth.
A very well-structured book. I really appreciate Kendi's writing and how open he is about how to approach topics. This book is a good place to start before expanding in teaching children about racism.
Kendi is one of those writers that I cling to. The way he presents ideas through lived experience is something I connect to. His voice is powerful and I expected nothing short of a true journey with this book.

It took me only a day to read this book, because I was so enthralled in the ideas and captivated by the writing. In How to Raise an Antiracist, Kendi discusses the four prominent forms of racial socilization, and the power of explaining racism to children rather than making them come to their own conclusion, especially in times where they might have experienced it in some form. One of the ideas that I clung to, and that I've practiced with my own children is having cultural representation in the books and toys we give our children.

There is so much to say and so much to learn within these pages. I highly recommend this book to people of all ethinic backgrounds.
A must read for everyone, even if you've read other Ibram X Kendi, you must read this. If you allow it to, it will make you think and reflect and change.
Great book by an amazing, highly relevant author.  As a mother of a white, elementary-school-aged little girl, my job is to raise her to be kind to everyone, regardless of how they may be different than her.  I highlighted many passages throughout this book and I can't wait to reference them time and time again.  I even used some of his other parenting advice about empathy.
I was surprised that more than half of the digital copy of the book was acknowledgments and references. That doesn't take away from the importance of the content or the way that it was presented.  I highly recommend this book to all parents.

Thank you NetGalley for the ARC for my honest review.
This is such an important book. I'm an Asian-American, and my parents never talked to me about racism. When the subject of racism did come up (when I was a teenager), my mother told me that it didn't exist, and the racism I thought I was experiencing was something else (boys expressing their interest in me via aggression). Needless to say, I do not want to raise my daughter this way. Reading this book has helped me find the language and tools to have discussions with her about racism, antiracism, and how insidious racism is in every aspect of our lives.

Dr. Kendi also shares his experience with racism, both as a child and a parent, which I found very compelling.

Even if you're not a parent, I think it's worth reading this book.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for an ARC.
I liked how Kendi wrote this book through the lens of becoming a father, and also incorporating stories from his childhood/adolescence. Very well-written and concise. As a parent, this book gave me a lot to think about, in how I approach certain topics. I would recommend this book for any parent.

"The tragedies and reckonings around racism that have rocked the country have created a specific crisis for parents and other caregivers: How do we talk to our children about it? How do we raise our children to avoid repeating our racist history and the ongoing errors of the present? While we do the work of dismantling racist behaviors in ourselves and the world around us, how do we raise our children to be antiracists?

After he wrote the National Book Award–winning Stamped from the Beginning, readers asked Ibram Kendi, “How can I be antiracist?” After he wrote the bestsellers How to Be an Antiracist and Antiracist Baby, readers began asking a different question: “How do I raise an antiracist child?” This is a question Dr. Kendi had been asking himself ever since he became a teacher—but the question became more personal and urgent when he found out his partner, Sadiqa, was pregnant. Like many parents, he didn’t know how answer the question—and wasn’t sure he wanted to. He didn’t want to educate his child on antiracism; he wanted to shield her from the toxicity of racism altogether.

But research and experience changed his mind: He realized that antiracism has to be taught and modeled as early as possible—not just to armor them against the racism that is still indoctrinated and normalized in our children’s world, but to remind parents and caregivers to build a more just future for us all.

Following the model of his bestselling How to Be an Antiracist, Kendi combines vital scholarship with a compelling personal narrative of his own journey as a parent to create a work whose advice is grounded in research and relatable real-world experience. The chapters follow the stages of child development and don’t just help parents to raise antiracists, but also to create an antiracist world for them to grow and thrive in."

Thanks to NetGalley and Random House for the free ARC in exchange for my honest review.
This is an excellent read, and fairly short.
Kendi discusses various stages of raising a child: pregnancy and birth, newborns, babies, toddlers, preschool, kindergarten, elementary school, middle school, high school, and leaving the nest. He also touches on the intersections of race and disability, class, etc. at some points.
What makes this book so engaging is that it's very much a personal memoir, with him discussing the birth of his daughter in the first few chapters... and then what he remembers of his own upbringing and school years for the others. (As his daughter was just in kindergarten when he wrote it, he hasn't dealt with her teen years yet!) He also uses his brother's school experiences for some of the topics. Of course, these chapters all have tons of statistics and research woven into them... but since they are intertwined with the personal stories, they don't feel dry or clinical.
While he does a great job of explaining things and giving parents ideas of what to be watching out for with their own kids... there is so much more to explore, for anyone interested! The greatest evidence of this is also right inside this book. I read the ebook version, and Kendi's actual writings end at 43% in. The entire back half of the book is references and links to sources. So, if you're wanting to dig deeper - those resources are all right there!