Cover Image: The Winter Killer

The Winter Killer

I liked this book a lot. I'm an avid thriller reader so I appreciate when a thriller jumps straight into the mystery rather than a slow dragged out start.

This book had you intrigued from page one and the writing style was really easy to digest and burn through. The main characters were easy to like, but not enough to steal the attention away from the storyline which I really liked. I enjoyed the red-herrings throughout too, and the fact that they didn't just suddenly magic a random character out of the woodwork and declare them as the killer.

It was a clever mystery, which i found really difficult to put down. My only complaint is that there was not enough angst. I love it when a thriller/mystery creeps me out. Which I felt was missing for me with this read.

Nevertheless, it was a really enjoyable read, and a great instalment to the series.
I loved the first 2 books in this series, so I was super excited to read what this one has installed for us...it didn't disapoint.

I loved the setting and I loved getting to know the main characters in more detail. The plot had me guessing.
I am a huge fan of this series having buddy read the previous two titles so this was one of my most anticipated reads this year, and it didn't disapoint. I loved the settings and that although we know our main characters they continue to develop. The plot was excellent this time around and kept me guessing. Although it is a thriller I found this book weirdly comforting. A great read and one I will read again.
I am loving Alex Pine's DI James Walker series and think it could be getting better with each book.

I was totally hooked on this investigation that was fairly quick paced, and had so many potential suspects that it was impossible to predict.

In fact while there are regular interesting bits of information to come out over the course of the investigation, making many people a viable suspects, I would never have guessed the final outcome!

I really enjoyed seeing how the police put together this case and discovering the truth about many of the characters.   I was pulled in many directions and was kept on my toes as I was reading, eager to see just what would happen next.

It's another fabulous addition to this series, and I am already looking forward to the next book (assuming there will be one).

Thank you to Avon and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
#The Winter Killer #NetGalley This is the 3rd in the DI James Walker series but it is perfectly capable of being read as a standalone. Slower to get going than the first 2 books and a little repetitive in places, nevertheless it was easy to read and there were plenty of suspects to keep you guessing until the end. I look forward to the next in the series which I hope is set in a season other than winter!!
I found this one slow and frustrating. It seemed to take ages to not only discover the victim but, also the killer. I was very disappointed in this one which is a shame. My thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for giving me the opportunity to read this book in return for an honest review.
This was my favourite in the DI James Walker series so far, the detectives are likeable and professional. There were a good amount of characters and suspects in the picture, good twists and red herrings. I enjoyed the setting, although may have appreciated a little more detail because I was jealous of the wedding!

Ending was a little rushed, wrapped up in one chapter once ‘The Winter Killer’ was found but I enjoyed the journey to get there.
The story was interesting enough for me to listen to it throughout a couple of days.
An easy to read crime thriller.
Looking forward to the next one in the series.
When a bride's sister vanishes during the wedding, DI James Walker is called out to investigate. But when a body is discovered, it's obvious one of the wedding guests is a killer.

This was my first DI James Walker book and even though it is the third in the series, they can be read as stand alones. This was a great introduction to the series. I loved how easy going our detective was, the case was interesting with lots of suspects and even though I did pick who did it, it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the book. If you want to read a light mystery that will keep you guessing, definitely recommend giving this one a go.
The Winter Killer by Alex Pine.

Thank you to Netgalley, HarperCollins UK Audio, Avon and Alex Pine for an ARC in return for an honest review.

"Something old, something new. One guest is a killer. The question is: who?"

A beautiful wedding and a missing Maid-of-Honour. As time goes on the bride gets increasingly concerned and realises something is very wrong.

I love the DI James Walker series. Alex Pine is a very talented author and is instantly able to draw the reader in.
This is another crime thriller which has blown me away. It is dark and utterly gripping.
I don't want to risk a spoiler but you will not regret reading it.
I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait for the next installment.
This is the third book in the DI James Walker series but in my opinion it can easily be read as stand alone. A great murder mystery in which there are lots of twists and turns before we find out who the murderer is. I really enjoyed this book and would highly recommend it.
The Winter Killer by Alex Pine

I received an advance review copy for free thanks to NetGalley and Avon Books and I am leaving this review voluntarily.

Blurb

Christmas has arrived in Cumbria, and wedding bells are ringing.
But an ice-cold killer is waiting in the fells…

As the clock strikes midnight on New Year’s Eve, DI James Walker receives a phone call that puts paid to his Christmas break. During the wedding of the year at a lakeside hotel, the bride’s sister has vanished.

When Rachel left the wedding breakfast before her speech, newly-wed Libby was furious. But as the night went on with no sign of her maid-of-honour, Libby started to realise something was very, very wrong…

Before the wedding night is out, the lake is being searched for a body.

Something old, something new. One guest is a killer. The question is: who?

My Opinion

One of the first books I ever reviewed was The Christmas Killer and it was such an enjoyable book that every year I look forward to the next Alex Pine book being released. I have read all of the books in this series in order but I do believe that each could easily be read as a standalone as whilst there are some familiar characters the cases are not linked.

Pine has written this book in such a way that will leave you guessing who the killer is as there are many suspects. It did take me a while and I think I had only just clicked who the killer was as we got to the big reveal. I was drawn in from the beginning and struggled to put the book down. With a fast pace you will be finishing this book before you know it.

Rating 4/5
A really good murder detective story, 3rd in the series but it can be read as a stand-alone, the character summary helps and the end of the book leads nicely into the next story
This is the third instalment of winter thrillers by Alex Pine  and in my opinion the best of those three. I liked that this one was based outside of Kirkby Abbey as it differentiates it from the other two stories. I liked that Abbott got more of a staring role rather than Walker.
The plot was interesting and kept me wanting to read more. The one thing that annoys me though is how overly simplistic the writing is, sometimes it’s like a teenager could of written it.
Overall it’s a good solid thriller but without the bells & whistles of some other well established authors.
I look forward to these books every year. This one definitely held my interest and kept me guessing to the end.
I'll admit that this isn't my first trip to DI James Walker's Lake District - I read and enjoyed 'The Killer in the Snow', the book prior to this one in the series, so I was pleased that NetGalley granted me access to this one.

As with the previous books, it's winter and Cumbria is icy and treacherous - but the surroundings present minimal danger compared to the humans existing in the bleak landscape who have immense capacity to harm.

This book opens at a New Year's Eve wedding at an exclusive hotel on the banks of Lake Windermere.  DI Walker's DC, Jessica Abbott, is at the event and witnesses some strange behaviour before the maid-of-honour seems to vanish between the ceremony and the speeches.  Rachel, the sister of the bride, is nowhere to be found  and the circumstances are suspicious - meaning that it's time for DI Walker and the scenes of crime team to move in and find her.

I liked that this book takes place over a relatively condensed period of time - it felt like being immersed into a mystery and then being able to follow the police team through the crucial early days of the investigation when evidence is fresh and emotions are running high among the small field of suspects.  In this sense, the book is a thorough and detailed police procedural with the focus very much on the intricacies of the investigation.  This absolutely isn't a fast-paced thriller with piles of twists, but more a well-plotted and methodical approach to crime fiction - with some surprises along the way.

DI Walker is a steady and reliable figure at the helm - his biggest personal problem is that his baby has a bit of a cold.  This niggling worry is a relatable one, and I quite liked that James Walker is an everyman with a realistic family context.  His relationship with his team is also quite gentle and without tension - nothing to distract from the actual policing, really!

This is a well-paced and character-driven police procedural.  It won't keep you on the edge of your seat with tension but it is entertaining and engaging.  You'll definitely want to know whodunit - and enjoy the path that takes you to the satisfying denouement.
Excellent! A gripping thriller that had me reading into the night - it is true what they say, families can be murder!
I really enjoyed this book.  Excellent read with great characters and a really good storyline.  I would recommend this book.
This book is set in England's Lake District and I actually read it while I was visiting the Lake District. That made it a fun read because I could picture the hotel on the lake and the other locales. I had not read the previous books in the series. In The Winter Killer, a lavish wedding is taking place at a lakeside hotel on New Year's Eve, and DC Jessica Abbott is a guest. The bride's sister goes missing after the ceremony and DS James Walker is called in. Soon the sister's body is discovered in the lake, the victim foul play. There are a number of suspects, from the bride herself to a mystery lover to an ex and vindictive boyfriend (and a few others). Even though this is a police procedural it still had a cozy feel to it.
I enjoyed the first two books in this series, so was excited to be approved to read a review copy via netgalley.  Unfortunately, this third book just didn’t hold my interest and I’ve decided to DNF it at 50%.  I can’t put my finger on why this didn’t grab me, but I feel life is too short to slog through books you’re not enjoying.  Sorry, not for me & I do not recommend.