Cover Image: Vampires And Victims

Vampires And Victims

This was perfectly ok. I do like a vampire novel (and no I don’t mean PNR) but I guess I want something a little different each time. This felt very done in many respects. It was a good version of already well trodden paths, but I guess I was hoping for something innovative. If you like vampire tales though, this could be exactly what you’re looking for, especially if you’re a fan of the world of darkness franchise.
Now where to begin with vampires and victims, well to begin with I did like this book the only downfall of it is I feel that more could of been added to it to make it have more chapters to it.
The vampire plot and the characters were good throughout the book, but to add I felt that at some parts they seemed rushed I just don't know why I get that feeling but in the end it was still enjoyable.
Give this book a go a mean if you are into vampires then this is a book for you to enjoy or add to your vampire collection.
Cause even though it a short book I did like the vampire theme very much.

Tha k you netgallery for allowing me to read this book I did enjoy it very much and can't wait to read more from this author.
I have shared my review on my good reads and Instagram.
Thank you net galley for providing me with a copy of Vampires and Victims in exchange for a honest review.

As excited as I was to read this I was utterly disappointed by the confusing plot lines and repeated lore. The characters were quite blank and felt one dimensional, making this an overall not good read.
Since the signing of ‘The Treaty’ four hundred years ago the Humans of the Cauldron and the Vampires of Storm Hill have lived alongside one another in comparative peace. However, following the rebellion against Lord Harbinger, Cauldronians are disappearing.

Many Elders believe Vampires are kidnapping their kin to feast on them while others are convinced they are being taken to work as slaves in Vampire factories, mills and mines.

The truth is unimaginably worse.

To keep safe, the Carter family move in with Nana Lyons, despite Charlie Carter being terrified of what he witnessed going into her coal cellar as a child. The stakes are raised to new heights when Jed, Charlie’s little brother, goes missing.
Really enjoyable read totally recommend
I reviewed Vampires And Victims by Martin M. McShane. #VampiresAndVictims #NetGalley
Thank you to Netgalley for providing an arc in exchange for an honest review.

This was a really interesting story idea and premise to me, and I was really excited to see where this story would go. Unfortunately there was much that simply fell flat to me. I wished i could’ve connected more with the characters however there was much left to be developed, and I felt little to no connection to most of them. While the premise was promising, there was far too much repetition within the prose that made it clunky and hard to get through. This book needs a really good thorough edit. While not amazing, it certainly had potential and I’d be interested in future work from this author.
Vampires And Victims by Martin M. McShane is an interesting and very intriguing story.
The plot was extremely intense. I couldn’t wait to find out what happened.
I also love the characters. The characters are very well written and developed.
The writing style feeds the reader's curiosity brilliantly.
The worldbuilding was phenomenal too!
Highly recommend this book.

“I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.”

Matador,
Thank You for your generosity and gifting me a copy of this amazing eARC!
Thank you to Netgalley and the Publisher for a copy of the book for an honest review.

I was very drawn to the description of this book. Who doesn't like a story about vampires...

Let me begin with a few pros:
The prologue was a great attention grabber. I was pulled right into the action wanting to know more.
If you like a story that doesn't always follow the main protagonist, has other mythical creatures, and don't mind slow paced, go ahead and give this a try.
I would defiantly like to know more about these characters if there was a little more character development; but it all felt very stagnate.
There is defiantly a lot of mystery and suspense keeping me wanting to know how they were going to resolve this new issue with Human vs Vampires.

Let me jump into some of the cons:
Like I mentioned above there is no character development. Our main star here Charlie remained very insensitive towards others and it felt that he only believed he was allowed in the spotlight.
Fighting a war especially as a child is going to cause dramatic changes; I can't think of another book where this would not be the case.
When I read a book I live in the moment, I want to feel the characters learn from a situation, learn from their mistakes, learn how to communicate better. Which brings me to another issue I had with this story, the drama felt so chaotic. The character would be calm one sentence, screaming the next, then back to calm. Sometimes we would get to see how they are feeling but there was no build up to these different emotions just a lot of "shut up."
I also spent a lot of time trying to pick apart what a sentence meant due to poor phrasing.

Overall I'd give it a 2/5. It's not the worst writing I've laid my eyes on but defiantly not the best. I for sure see areas where there could be improvement. Keep-up with the attention grabbing, work on building more into conversations; give me some smells, what are these characters seeing, how is Nana's face changing when she gets angry. When I read a story I want to be able to view the world with you, paint this beautiful picture.
I was intrigued by the premise of this book, but the execution fell short for me.

This story was not character driven enough for me, and I found Charlie whiny and unsympathetic. I also didn't find Charlie to be very well developed and the premise was a bit redundant, limiting development of the character.

Occasionally there were phrasing issues in the writing that further yanked me out of the story, although I may be more keen to this as an ELA teacher. However, this sort of thing would further make me reluctant to include this in a classroom library, particularly when working with a high population of students where English isn't their first language.
I really enjoyed this, there was so much going on that I just kept whizzing through. It was well written with a comeplling storyline and well developed characters that I loved. Everything that I want in a gothic, dark, horror and fantasy book is in this. I loved it.