Cover Image: The Smallest Spot of a Dot

The Smallest Spot of a Dot

What a nice book. This book is a good resource for someone looking to discuss appearances and individuality with children. The book discusses DNA using the metaphor of 'dots'. What's nice about the book is that it represents lots of different cultures, identities and genders. It tells us how we are different yet equal and that we should always remember to treat each other with kindness.
I received an electronic ARC from Zonderkidz through NetGalley.
Davis explains how genes work in a way younger readers will understand. She shares about the small dots inside each person and how they make each of us unique. I appreciate that she also shares how much everyone is alike too. Our dots are mostly the same with a few that give us our own traits. The illustrations capture the individuality of each character and how they interact with each other.  A wonderful book for families to share.
OMG, these illustrations are too cute for words!  I love this idea that we are made of the same stuff inside but it all magically makes us different.  What an important message for kiddos who feel different or 'other.' And so so important for the people making them feel like that!
I wasn't expecting this book to be a child-sized introduction to genetics, but was pleasantly surprised to find that it was! The intro may hook fans of Press Here, but the message is less about the dots and more about our simultaneous individuality and shared humanity. Explaining shared DNA and unique genetic identities to children is a tall order, but this book attempts to do so in a way that seems both age-appropriate and not entirely unscientific, which I appreciate! We'll definitely add this to our collection come January.
Despite being from a Christian publisher, THE SMALLEST SPOT OF A DOT is free from religious subtext and has the theme that individuality/diversity is to be valued and respected. The rhyming and pace of this book are well-done for a toddler through kindergarten audience. However, Davis brings the concept of DNA and genetics into the mix in a way that comes off as clunky and odd. This one is a mixed bag for me, as it shows the human race to be.
Thank you NetGalley and Linsey Davis. We read this one for story time last night and let me give you the compliments from the 1st grader first. She loved that the book rhymed, that she had to find the dot, all the friends playing and how different they are and that you mentioned freckles since she has a ton. Now from a Mom perspective, this book is so cute story wise and the illustrations are phenomenal. I love how it shows everyone is different but similar. This is one I will add to her teachers bookshelf once it releases.
Did you know 99.9% of our genetic makeup is the same? It is only 0.1% that makes us unique. Celebrate our differences and similarities while learning about what makes us human. Learn how to accept those who are different but are made up of the same genes as everyone.

Read The Smallest Spot of a Dot to promote discussions on genetics, acceptance, compassion, empathy, making connections, inclusion, similarities and differences.
"The Smallest Spot of a Dot" is an informative and beautifully illustrated picture book about DNA and the way it makes us each unique. There is diverse representations of children within the book, including diverse racial representation and disability representation.
I did not enjoy this book. I love the sentiment of acceptance regardless of difference but I’ve read much better books for the same age group. It was contrived. I felt like the author had struggled with the rhyme and tried too hard as a result. It was repetitive and not in a good way. I was hoping to find a book I could share with my children at school that would help us to discuss the topic of difference and acceptance but this is not it. They would not enjoy this book.
The Smallest Spot of a Dot is a very cute picture book about how all humans are 99.99% genetically similar, and the teeny tiny part of our DNA that encompasses our differences in appearance, personality, and more. It's scientifically accurate so it is both educational and wholesome, with the message about how we are all equal even with how much diversity we have.

Note: I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley. I was not compensated in any other fashion for the review and the opinions reflected below are entirely my own. Special thanks to the publisher and author for providing the copy.
I received an arc of this title for an honest review. This is a book about being different while still being the same. It's a bit wordy for me, but excellent rhyming skills.
What a wonderful wonderful book! I loved the message, the illustrations and the words - it was a plus to find they rhymed too! Just a gorgeous book which I will be buying a physical copy as soon as released.
What is not to love about this book?  This is the perfect diversity book.  Great for all ages and a perfect reminder that truly we are all 99.9% alike.  While still highlighting that the extra .01 percent is truly special and helps make you the amazing person you are meant to be.  No matter who you are or what you are faced with our tiny dots bring us all together and help create a beautiful world.  This is such a perfect book for diversity and one I look forward to adding to my story time arsenal.  Thank you so very much to Zonderkidz for publishing such a beautiful book and for allowing me to read an advance copy.
What makes you different? It’s all about your spots and dots, we’ve all got them!
A lovely look at how we are all born unique and how we should accept and embrace the things that make us different.
Beautiful illustrations add to the joy of this book.
I like this but I also don’t like this. The beginning where it explains the dots and everybody having jeans is confusing. This part could be taken out of the book. When the story of all the kids and how they were like and how they’re different gets going,  that is when the story makes sense and is interesting. The illustrations are top notch and flow really well.
Teaching children about Genes and DNA, how we are different but also 99.9% the same or   ‘Gene-dots and a twisty, twirly ladder of string’ - as they are called in the book. - This story takes you on that journey, explaining everything on the way. showing how we are one of a kind. ‘One-of-a-kind dot’ that makes you, you and me, well me. It is written in a very nice flowing manner, with easy to digest sentences for children and the illustrations are CUTE, VERY CUTE and oh so beautifully done. my absolute favourite is page 26, the illustrations are simply beautiful and calming and the sentence that belongs to it is: ‘Just ONE TINY DOT makes you different from me, But we all still belong to just ONE FAMILY.’  and it things this is how it should be. different but equal.

a big Thank you to Linsey, Michael & Lucy for sharing this MASTERPIECE! I’m totally in love.
I thoroughly enjoyed the rhyming verse structure of this charming book.  Throughout, it celebrates how one tiny gene is all that makes us different to anyone else.  With gorgeous illustrations, this is a book that will be enjoyed over and over again by children of all ages.  I definitely need a copy for my classroom.
I received this ARC in exchange for my honest review.

This book is a great way to talk about diversity and sameness. The illustrations are beautiful and inclusive!
Thank you to NetGalley and Zonderkidz for the opportunity to read an advanced reader's copy of this book for an honest review. (Publish Date: January 31, 2023)

“The Smallest Spot of a Dot” by Linsey Davis was such a joy to read! I found myself smiling the entire time while reading the book to my 8-year-old daughter. She absolutely loved the illustration of the children making hand hearts over their glowing “me-my-mine” dot, and she asked if everyone really has a special dot like that. The book naturally created some meaningful conversations on how everyone is unique and yet equal.

I loved how playful the words and pictures were throughout the book. The beautiful illustrations were so whimsical and alive with motion and color that my daughter didn’t want the story to end!

I would absolutely recommend this book to children, teens, and adults because the message of equality is so simple yet powerful.
The Smallest Spot of a Dot is a book that teaches basics about genetics to children. It's purpose is to show that only 0.1% of our genetic makeup makes us different, and 99.9% is the same. My daughter-in-law is a genetic counsellor, so her children have some basic knowledge of genetics so I wanted to see what they thought about this book. Of course the older one kept talking about DNA and thought dot or spot was not accurate, but the younger two were okay with it. I liked the concept and the idea of acceptance as we are almost all the same. This is something that definitely needs to be reinforced. Some of the things mentioned that make us different are not necessarily caused by genetics, but environment, but that is not a big deal. We enjoyed this book, especially as it showed such diversity in race, gender, and even those with disabilities. The illustrations are fantastic, showing so many different children, but always reiterating that they are more alike. They are having fun, cooperating, sharing and playing together with happiness and joy. The cadence was well done and it was easy to read aloud. A great book to read with young children, to show how we are all more alike than different. I recommend this book to all, but especially schools and classrooms.