The Smallest Spot of a Dot

The Little Ways We’re Different, The Big Ways We’re the Same

Pub Date 31 Jan 2023 | Archive Date 07 Feb 2023

Talking about this book? Use #TheSmallestSpotofaDot #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Linsey Davis, bestselling children’s author, Emmy-winning correspondent, and host for ABC News brings us The Smallest Spot of a Dot: The Little Ways We’re Different, The Big Ways We’re the Same—a playful and poignant picture book that celebrates how we are all part of the human race.

”Only .1% of our genes make us uniquely who we are. We are 99.9% identical, alike, the same—equal. This book is 100% about that truth.”

Combining whimsical rhymes and Lucy Fleming’s engaging art, The Smallest Spot of a Dot is:

• An inspiring story of connection and equality
  • Multicultural, multiracial children’s picture book that recognizes our similarities and our uniqueness
  • The perfect read-aloud for kids ages 4–8
  • A unique gift for birthdays and holidays

Linsey Davis is also the author of The World Is AwakeOne Big Heart, Stay This Way Forever, and How High Is Heaven.

What a gorgeous tale of how we are all different yet are all made up of the same basic elements. We may look different but are all human. A beautiful, multicultural representation for children that explains in the most simple form what a gene is. The Smallest Spot of a Dot is definitely a book I will be adding to my classroom.

Thank you NetGalley and Zonderkidz for the eARC in exchange for an honest review.

The Smallest Spot of a Dot is a really sweet books abut genes and how we are so much more alike than different. I liked all the diverse characters, and all the fun dots! It wasn't too science heavy, even if it mentioned DNA. It was like a warm hug!

What an amazing book! This belongs in every classroom and on every child’s bookshelf. This book helps children understand how they are formed, but also shows many different nationalities. I love that it included many differences that they may encounter like glasses or wheelchair bound friends. It was very colorful illustrations, and just the right length to keep attention until the end. Great book!

A beautiful visualization of genetics, DNA, and how we are mostly the same, and yet all unique. The entire book is done in well-paced rhyme, which is always a hit in my household. The entire idea of DNA is broken down and explained very well, so I think kids even as young as 4 years could use this as a start to their understanding of biology.

Genes are represented by dots (it would make more sense for a gene to look like a squiggly line, but the book is working on an awkward scale, so I'll let it pass), and so circles and dots feature prominently throughout the artwork. Even on pages with smaller art pieces depicting humans, the artist fills out the background with vibrant, multi-color dots, making the whole book lively and visually pleasing. The humans depicted show the great diversity possible from out shared genes, once more calling forward the theme of connection through basic ingredients.

I think the one part I have to question is a line about genes determining what food a kid likes. Looking it up, there's a lot of debate on if taste is more determined by genetics or environment and exposure. But it's not an entirely WRONG fact, just one that needs more context. Which is hard to do in a picture book.

Advanced review copy provided by the publisher.

Teaching children about Genes and DNA, how we are different but also 99.9% the same or ‘Gene-dots and a twisty, twirly ladder of string’ - as they are called in the book. - This story takes you on that journey, explaining everything on the way. showing how we are one of a kind. ‘One-of-a-kind dot’ that makes you, you and me, well me. It is written in a very nice flowing manner, with easy to digest sentences for children and the illustrations are CUTE, VERY CUTE and oh so beautifully done. my absolute favourite is page 26, the illustrations are simply beautiful and calming and the sentence that belongs to it is: ‘Just ONE TINY DOT makes you different from me, But we all still belong to just ONE FAMILY.’ and it things this is how it should be. different but equal.

a big Thank you to Linsey, Michael & Lucy for sharing this MASTERPIECE! I’m totally in love.