Cover Image: The Three Lives of Alix St. Pierre

The Three Lives of Alix St. Pierre

THE THREE LIVES OF ALIX ST. PIERRE by Natasha Lester is an enthralling work of historical fiction told in three timelines: before, during and after World War II.  It is the story of Alix St. Pierre, who, in 1943, is a talented New York PR consultant who becomes recruited by the US government to be a spy in the British intelligence office, OSS, in Bern, Switzerland.  Her final mission leads to tragedy and the guilt from her role in that mission continues to haunt her. After the war, Alix moves to Paris and becomes the head of publicity for the newly-emerging House of Dior.  She works tirelessly to get the fashion world onboard with Christian Dior’s launch, but soon a person from her wartime past threatens to upend all she has worked for. She risks everything for the chance to bring a war criminal to justice, but will it help her let go of the pain and grief from her past? This intense story held me captive from beginning to end. I loved the main character. Her independence, courage and loyalty were inspiring. The vivid descriptions of the Dior couture and the inner workings of a French design house made me feel like I was right there.  This book has everything: history, intrigue, suspense and even romance. I will not soon forget this meticulously-researched and beautifully-written story and I look forward to whatever comes next from Natasha Lester. Highly recommended! Thank you to the author, publisher and NetGalley for the chance to read and review an early copy.
3:5 ⭐️

I a huge fan of Lester’s writing and the massive amount of research she does for each book. This one was no different except that it lacked the emotional connection I normally enjoy for HF books.

I say this knowing that I’m probably going to be an outlier with it but this book was good, decent, well researched but the connection for me as a reader wasn’t there.

I loved the strength of Alix. I loved the fiesty relationship between Anthony & Alix, all the way from where it started (as two broken people) to the end when it felt like everything had closure and peace.

Lots of espionage. And lots of Dior’s fashion house.

I think, readers that enjoy both will love it. For me, it just didn’t have the emotional charge that her other ones had.

I still recommend it but to certain readers. And I know two cousins who will love it as they love Dior.

Thank you to the publisher for the gifted copy in return for an honest review. Lester is still an auto buy even if this wasn’t a 5 star for me
I LOVE a good WWII book and this book hit all the boxed. Three Lives of Alix St. Pierre by Natasha Lester is a great WWII-era historical fiction that has it all: mystery, suspense, intrigue, history, action, and fashion. It is a great book. This was my first read from Ms. Lester and won't be the last! Intricately woven among different moments within the main character’s life (Alix), we see her come alive, take charge, and take action in several different roles ( spy, actress, recruiter of sorts, and overall powerhouse), and it creates a story that entertains, engages, and surprises. I really liked the balance between the intricate storyline and yet the ease of which it was presented so as to keep things brisk and not bogged down by detail. I was thoroughly impressed.

Thank you to Forever (Grand Central Publishing), and NetGalley for allowing me to read and review this digital ARC
4.5 stars. The Three Lives of Alix St. Pierre was exactly what I’ve come to expect from Natasha Lester who is a fantastic story teller - strong, witty female protagonists, beautiful friendships, riveting romance, a quick moving plot between timelines to unravel an exciting storyline, and a satisfying ending! Always hard to put down with so many chapter ending cliff hangers!

Alix St Pierre is living in Paris while working as a publicist at Dior and trying desperately to recover from her time as a spy in Switzerland during WWII. She is haunted by events that happened in Switzerland resulting in the death of people very close to her. While Alix is launching Dior into one of the most renown designers in the world, she is also being hunted by an enemy from her past. While working to save herself and Dior, she has to learn to trust the people in her life to help her succeed.

Thanks to #netgalley, Natasha Lester, and Forever - Grand Central Publishing for the e-ARC of #TheThreeLivesofAlixStPierre in exchange for an honest review.
I really, really enjoyed this latest historical fiction, WWII romance from Natasha Lester!! She's one of my absolute favorite authors and this new book did not disappoint!! Spanning the years before, during and after WWII, we get to know Alix St. Pierre, a strong woman who balances multiple lives - one as a publicity manager for Dior and another as a secret spy and ally, helping people during the war in Switzerland.

Highly recommended for fans of Kristin Harmel or Kate Quinn. Alix was such a strong protagonist and easily a woman to admire and be in awe of - someone not willing to bend her ideals or dreams just for the love of a man. I loved how she refused to give up what she wanted just to be a society wife and stuck to what she wanted to do - all while being extremely fashionable.

Much thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for early digital copies in exchange for my honest review!!
A unique take on the idea of "the three faces of self"....especially since Alix seems to struggle with which one is truly hers.

Historical fiction is always interesting because balancing the fine line between accurate research and artistic license often proves as elusive as the smoke from Alix's cigarettes. I really enjoyed Alix's grounding in espionage and the struggles to recognize that-despite how much you want to-putting complete trust in other person opens you up for heartache and destruction. The twists, turns, and missteps made her character more believable and really showcased the networks of information that exist in many lives.

I struggled with the way Alix held herself apart from others and the idea that she was able to trick the best of the best into doing exactly what she wanted time and time again. Was she smart? Sure. Was she a mastermind? No. The love stories also never felt fully grounded, and at least one of the "twists" was pretty heavy handed.

Female empowerment stories are always great reads, especially for items like this (fashion world and WWII espionage) that are so foreign to me. Overall, I enjoyed the story, despite the cliche ending and the lack of connection to any of the characters.

I'll tell my students about: language, death, threats, parent death, sex, smoking, drinking

**Thank you to NetGalley and Forever (Grand Central Publishing) for the free ARC prior to publication.  All opinions expressed are my own.**
I really enjoyed this story and this was my first dive into a Natasha Lester book. Alix St. Pierre is a PR maven during WW2 who is an ambitious and independent heroine. Not to give more away but this book was one of the best historical novels I have read this year. You will not be dissapointed if you pick up this book.

** Thank you NetGalley, Forever Publishing and Natasha Lester for this ARC in exchange for an honest review**
Thank you Forever for providing my with an advanced copy to read for an honest review.

This book is written about Alix‘s story during three different time periods as we get to know about the life events that have moulded her to be who she is.  She is  an orphan as both her parents passed when she was young and she was fortunate enough to have a friend named Lillie whose family sort of adopted her and helped her move forward in life. Alix attended private boarding school and socialized with many affluent people even though she was not a part of that social circle. The book starts off with Alix working for Dior in his marketing department after the war. As the story unfolds we begin to understand that during the war she was involved as a spy and we started to learn about her work during the war and about her fiancé Bobby, who died in the war.

I really enjoy reading historical fiction. I found the components of the story around Dior really interesting and it makes me want to pick up some more material and read about Dior’s original design.

I enjoyed the book and it’s the first book that I have read by this author and I will read more books by her in the future. I found this one a little bit long and drawn out at times.  I enjoyed the plot and the writing. It was a good historical fiction book and I would read another book by her again. I would rate this book around 3.75, not quite 4 stars for me.
I adored this book.  It is different than a typical WWII book and it includes the title character reckoning with the aftermath of the war, which I find books often skip or gloss over.  Recommend!
Jumping between two timelines, this book follows Alix St. Pierre through her time during World War II as an OSS spy in Switzerland and her postwar life in Paris. Though the war is over, her past continues to haunt as the weight of nine lives falls on her shoulders. Alix has attempted to move on by becoming the head of PR for the up and coming designer, Christian Dior. while working for Dior, she meets a man who was on the mountain with those nine men and they vow to form a partnership and take down the Nazi who seemingly got away with these murders. Natasha Lester developed a beautifully written historical fiction book that ties in so many real historical figures and dresses. Focusing on not only Alix’s haunting history but current societal issues of gender roles, I love that Lester addressed these issues that occurred not only after the war but still today seamlessly. I enjoyed seeing women’s prominent roles during the war be a focal point and not glossed over. Alix plays the hand she is dealt and does it spectacularly, aiding to the strong character development. Lester does a fantastic job writing this piece and hope everyone reads it. I hope it will be the next Alice Network!!
"There was one brief and shining moment, wasn’t there, when it looked like the world would change. For four years we spied and we worked damn hard and we saved people’s lives and we made a difference and nobody cared too much that we were women. And then it all ended. Went backwards, even.”

What I loved:

✔️Following one character throughout the book
✔️A title that made me stop and ponder
✔️A fiercely independent protagonist who didn’t use her past as a crutch
✔️Set against the glitz of French couture, fashion, designing houses,
✔️Christian Dior and the women behind his genius
✔️vivid, lush descriptions of fabrics and pieces
✔️Meticulously researched using primary sources
✔️A grand romance
✔️WW2, espionage and the resulting tension
✔️Twists
✔️miriad of quotable lines
✔️Examination of gender roles during and after the war; impact on females
✔️learning something new - Piscine Deligny!
✔️bring reminded of visits to Bern and seeing the Kindlifresserbrunnen and of Paris and crossing the Pont Alexandre III

'So you are being useful. It’s just that your usefulness isn’t acknowledged by anyone.'

Another win for a trusted author! I can count on Lester to showcase daring women and France, a country dear to my heart, and pen a fantastic book that allows me to escape into history.

I was gifted this book by Forever, Grand Central Publishing, and NetGalley and was under no obligation to provide a review.
After reading a lot of non-fiction about actual female war spies this just fell way short to the point of not being able to continue reading it. Maybe if I cared more about fashion ... but I don't.
(Want a real thrill? Pick up some Ben Macintyre.)
I really enjoyed the first 1/4 of this novel and felt that I was reading a potential 5-star read. I know next to nothing about couture fashion, but the plot was dynamic and interesting and I felt that Alix’s character was reminiscent of Evelyn Hugo’s moxie and wit, which  is the highest of compliments. After the book jumped timelines to during the war, I really struggled to maintain interest and keep up with that story, as the dialogue seemed repetitive and the intrigue of the plot mystery was waning. I ultimately found my interest and investment in the book to be completely gone by 50%, and ended up putting this one down to hopefully return to another time. I truly love historical fiction and the mystery component in this one of being hunted for by a Nazi informant was super intriguing, so I feel hopeful in saying it would be a 3-star read or higher for most historical fiction lovers.
Thanks to Forever Pub for the copy of this book!

Let me start by saying that when it comes to historical fiction... I am very picky. I used to read a ton of it, but it is no longer my go-to genre, and to stick with a book, I really have to love it. That being said, this was SUCH a compulsive read for me. The dual timeline during and right after WWII was executed perfectly to the point I'd end a section and be like AHH I have to read more.

Next, the subject matter. WWII spy network + Paris after the War + the start of Christian Dior's career + strong females + mystery + romance was just EVERYTHING. Such a good blend to make this book really unique and interesting. Absolutely recommend picking this one up!
I'm not sure what I read. This was slightly confusing I ended up DNFing half way through.  I had a hard time following the story.
Trying to move on from World War II Alix is determined to make a name for up and coming designer Christian Dior in Paris. But her job unexpectedly puts her in contact with people who know her and her OSS past.  Can tracking down the man who has caused her so much grief finally relieve her of her past? This story with a strong female lead and plot with many connecting dots is both captivating and enlightening to the effects of World War II. If you are a historical fiction lover like I am I highly recommend!
I read Natasha’s book The Riviera House last year and adored so I knew I wanted to read this one. And it DID NOT DISAPPOINT. “An unforgettable story of an orphan turned WWII spy turned fashion icon in Paris.” I loved the alternating timelines of before, during and after the war (even when you got to the end of one part and were DYING to know what happened next and it switched to a different time!!) Alix is strong, courageous and not afraid to speak her mind. She’s truly a force to be reckoned with. I enjoyed the aspects of being a female and the discussion on what rights you did [or in this case didn’t have] and the differing economic classes and how that impacted each persons lives. There’s something for everyone in this book; the unique plot about Switzerland in WWII, mystery/whodunit, and  a bit of romance.

Run don’t walk to get a copy of this. Out Jan 10.

Thank you Forever Publishing and NetGalley for the eARC in exchange for an honest review.
i really wanted to love this book. it started out super fun and thrilling and then i just got kinda bored. i am so thankful to netgalley for letting me read this early!!
This is a unique, thoughtfully planned out story perfect for fans of WIII historical fiction. It is told through the lens of Alix St. Pierre and weaves together three timelines: Alix’s life pre war as a Paris fashion correspondent, her life during the war as a spy for the OSS and her life post-war working for Dior. These three shifting timelines not only keep the story moving forward but also bring suspense as gaps are filled and twists are revealed. What I think makes this book stand out from others in this genre was the element of fun and excitement we got through Alix’s job working for Dior. I enjoyed learning about the history of this designer, the Paris culture post war and the descriptions of the lavish Ritz Hotel. While I primarily read the book, which you will want in front of you to see the gorgeous Dior dresses, I listened to some chapters via audio and found the narrator to be excellent and skillful, particularly when depicting the accents from various countries!

Read if you like:
-WWII Historical Fiction
-Fashion/ Christian Dior
-Stories about feminists
-Alternating timelines and settings
-Side romance storylines
-A bit of mystery and suspense

Thank you so much Forever and Hachette Audio for the ARC/ALC. Out Jan 10th!!
The Three Lives of Alix St. Pierre is an interesting and well researched book, set in Paris in the aftermath of WWII, with flashbacks to the war years.  I had really high expectations going in, since I absolutely loved The Riviera House by this author.  This book didn't live up to its predecessor for me.  I loved the parts with Dior and the flashbacks of Alix working as a spy had a lot of tension and build up, but the ultimate conclusion to the story fell a bit flat.  It was a struggle to keep up with what was happening at times due to the writing being abrupt and things and characters not being adequately explained.  My biggest problem though was that I didn't like Alix's character.  She took feminism to an EXTREME and refused to compromise or bend AT ALL in her relationships.

Thank you to NetGalley and Forever for access to this arc.