Cover Image: How We Grow Through What We Go Through

How We Grow Through What We Go Through

I thoroughly enjoyed Christopher's writing and found many useful insights in this book. I am actually quite keen to reread it as I feel as though some of the content is quite deep and I would get a lot of benefits from rereading it.
I have been reading a lot lately about post traumatic growth and resilience, so this book was very interesting to pick up. I found that it was a great intro to the concepts and ideas and would be perfect for someone newer to the topic at large. I enjoyed how this book was organized and the information was thoughtfully presented while also feeling very accessible. The authors voice is compassionate while also sharing lots of easy to implement ideas. I recommend this one!
This was a book that I needed when I didn't know that I needed it yet, if that makes sense. After losing my parents and having a baby, my nervous system was out of whack and this book along with therapy actually helped.
This book was an interesting - though dry - look at how we react to trauma. Trauma pervades every aspect of our lives, particularly in recent years between climate change, social justice issues, the coronavirus pandemic, and more. But the truth is that post-traumatic growth, rather than post-traumatic stress, is not only possible but probable. Lots of interesting information and how compassion and practices that might help in learning to live and grow with the trauma that affects us all.
A very light read on the topic of resilience. Definitely designed to be a first approach of this topic, rather than going deep into the ideas.
The title and blurb provide a very good description of what you can expect from this book. Clinical psychologist Dr. Christopher Willard offers simple, practical guidance and exercises to help you regulate your nervous system and develop more resilience. He accomplishes this in a friendly, easy to understand style accompanied by references to relevant professional literature.

I was already familiar with most of the concepts discussed, but I love the author’s presentation and how he framed the discussion in terms of “Who do I want to be?” I feel like I gained a better understanding of how we can use mindfulness, compassion, and kindness to experience post-traumatic growth, even while we are experiencing post-traumatic stress.

I think most people could benefit from reading this book. Even if you think you haven’t experienced trauma, we all experience stress and pain and we all can benefit from mindfulness and compassion.

I was provided an unproofed ARC through NetGalley that I volunteered to review.
Though some of the topics covered in this book are common knowledge (especially if you've been struggling with your mental health and have looked at other resources), it was a highly informative read. The strategies presented here were accessible and backed by clearly referenced scientific study. There was a lot of discussion about the biological reasons we experience anxiety, depression, etc. in relation to traumatic events. This book would have been immensely helpful to me when I was first beginning my journey of addressing PTSD. The tone was wonderful, very compassionate and explanative without bordering into the preachy or judgmental.
Thank you, #NetGalley and #SoundsTrue, for allowing me to review #HowWeGrowThroughWhatWeGoThrough by Christopher Willard, PsyD.

We all go through challenges in life, but it is important to take care of yourself. Dr Christopher Willard's book shows how to be resilient and mindful. The exercises are practical and help you to develop self-empowerment and overcome stress. They include breathing exercises, meditation, and acronyms for self-awareness.

This book would be recommended for adults because it contains theories and scientific terms that younger audiences may not understand. Otherwise, it is an excellent book for self-care and being aware of your surroundings.
This is a must-have resource to help one improve mental health, resiliency, and live a more full and happy life. It is full of great strategies, advice, and easy to implement ideas. This is one I'll return to again and again. Many thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for the advanced copy of the book.
This book taught me a lot about trauma and the mind-body connection. It was packed with helpful exercises. I think it will help many people. Thanks for letting me check it out!
My 600th Book Review of 2022💝

Thank you, Sounds True, for the advance review copy.

The guidebook is all about resilience! Resilient mind, resilient body and a resilient heart.

The first section prepares the reader well about the contents and how to be resilient with things to reflect upon.

The following three sections focus on the mind, body and the heart.

The exercises are practical. The book offers some of the best empowering ideas and words. The writing is fairly easy to read and follow for any age group. There's less use of complicated terms and expressions which I really appreciate.

The presentation is neat and easy to the eyes.

The book is really short yet it has some of the best tips on simple exercises, simple ways to reflect upon and how to become resilient for the ones who have experienced trauma.

I do feel the book will be of some help when you most need it.

I appreciate the inclusion of the citations for each chapter/section towards the end of the book.