Cover Image: Six Feet Deep Dish

Six Feet Deep Dish

Six Feet Deep Dish (Deep Dish Mysteries #1) by Mindy Quigley 🧠🧠🧠.5/5 (rounded up to 4 on GR)

My last book of 2023, and it was a cute, comfy mystery novel. I definitely put off reading this book for too long, but as I make an effort to read an ARC a week, I’m slowly making my way through all the ones I have.

Delilah O’Leary has left Chicago and can’t wait to open her new gourmet deep-dish pizzeria in Geneva Bay, Wisconsin―a charming resort town that has a long history as a mobsters’ hideaway, millionaires’ playground and vacation mecca.

However, just before her soft open, her fiancé (who is financing this pizza joint) dumps her and leaves her wondering how she will manage. Add to that - she discovers a dead body and finds her elderly aunt holding the murder weapon.

The handsome local police detective - Calvin Capone, who is also the great-grandson of the legendary gangster, opens an investigation into the opening night murder.
Delilah not only has to save her aunt, but get her pizza place up and running - so she decides to become an amateur detective to solve the mystery!

Sounds cooky, but I promise its cute and has loveable secondary characters.

While already published, I did get this as an ARC from St. Martin’s Paperbacks, NetGalley and the author in exchange for an honest review.

I love cozy mysteries and since pizza is one of my favorites this book was a No brainer. I loved Delilah and the characters that surround her. The descriptions of the town were really well done too. The writing and plot were well written. All in all a good cozy mystery that I look forward to seeing where the series goes next.

I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book provided by NetGalley.

Enjoyed this a great deal. As a former Minnesotan, I was happy to read a cozy mystery set in the Upper Midwest. I'll definitely look for the next in the series.

The title caught my attention and I had to read this book. It started out very slow and I almost stopped reading it but I an glad I kept reading. I loved the Wisconsin setting and the characters are very interesting and have great dialogue. I would recommend but be prepared for a slow start

This was a promising start to a cozy series. I like that this one is centered around pizza, which is my favorite food, especially deep dish. I always enjoy a good food cozy.

Delilah was an interesting character and took a little bit of getting used to, but she grew on me after a while. Butterball was my favorite part about this book. I love when there is an animal companion in a cozy mystery series and can't wait to see more of him in future books!

There were plenty of suspects to choose from in the mystery aspect of this book and the reveal had me shocked! Very well written.

What could be bad about a cozy mystery? The answer is nothing! Add a cat and pizza and what more could you ask for.

I have voluntarily read and reviewed a copy of this title given to me via NetGalley. This book was just amazing. I just lost myself in this story and didn’t want it to end. It was really well written and just drew in you into these characters lives. I look forward to seeing what’s next from this author.

I want to thank Netgalley and the author for gifting me the ebook. I was able to find the audiobook through my local library.
I do like a good cozy mystery. I didn't mind the story that much but I honestly didn't like the main character. She was just so angry all the time and her character was just very overbearing. It was just okay. I am not sure if I would read more if this author makes it into a series.

I really loved this first book in a new to my series and author. I can't wait to read the next one. The characters and location really add to the plot. This book keeps you guessing until the end.

Delilah O’Leary is very excited to be opening her new gourmet pizzeria. However, finding a dead body right at the time she is opening is not the way to start a new business. What’s more is her elderly aunt is the one that was found holding the murder weapon. The victim was her aunt’s caretaker. Will the detective on the case, Calvin Capone, who just happens to be the great grandson of legendary gangster Al Capone, be able to find the murderer and help prevent Delilah’s business from crashing even before it even gets started?

Delilah really needs this fresh start. She has just broken off her engagement to and now they are sharing custody of their hefty cat Butterball. Meanwhile, not only is Delilah concerned about her business, and the murder that has occurred, but also she’s concerned for the health and safety of her aunt. Managing everything is important to Delilah because she wants to move forward in her life.

Since Delilah has so much at stake, she involves herself in the investigation, because for one thing, she knows her aunt has not killed anyone. Meanwhile, she is still navigating her relationship with her ex, as well as the possibility of moving on to another romantic entanglement. This book has a bit of humor, especially when we read of the exploits of her plus sized cat.

What an enjoyable start to a new cozy mystery series by Mindy Quigley. This engaging read concludes with several delectable recipes.

Many thanks to St. Martin’s Paperbacks and to NetGalley for this ARC for review. This is my honest opinion.

This was a great debut of a new series by Mindy Quigley! This story is set in a Wisconsin resort town, known for it's history with the gangsters of old. Our heroine, Delilah O'Leary, is set to open a new gourmet pizza restaurant in the former location of a mobster's money laundering front.

Delilah is engaged to a millionaire who sets her up financially to open the restaurant. They are also in the process of rehabilitating an old mansion that will be amazing when finished. Then, on the verge of opening the restaurant, her fiancée breaks up with her and disappears, and a dead body is found outside the restaurant. Delilah's elderly aunt, who has been declining mentally, is found nearby with the murder weapon.

The lead detective on the case is handsome Detective Calvin Capone, relative of the infamous Al Capone. I love it!! It was just a fun read that kept the reader guessing. I really look forward to more books in this series. I would recommend to anyone who enjoys cozy mysteries!

I was provided an advance reader copy by #NetGalley and the publishers in exhange for my honest review.

I absolutely love cozy mysteries, and if they have to do with food and animals? All the better!
This was a delicious start to a new series that I definitely have an appetite to continue. Looking forward to meeting Delilah, Butterball, and Detective Capone again!
I was given a complimentary copy of this book, but my opinion is entirely my own.

Six Feet Deep Dish follows Delilah as she tries to open a new pizza restaurant in a small Wisconsin town. The soft opening is cut short when someone is murdered and Delilah's elderly aunt appears to be the main suspect. Now Delilah and her friends/employees have to work on finding the real killer.

This book was so fun! I loved the setting, the characters, the endless descriptions of pizza. It was such a good cozy mystery and a great start to a new series.

Where do ideas come from? Sometimes writers get suggestions from a publisher. Quigley was offered 3 three ideas, cozy mystery, pizza, and cats. From this came book 1 of the Deep Dish Mysteries.

Our protagonist, Delilah O'Leary, is on a heady countdown to opening her Pizza place in Geneva Bay WI. Chefs can be perfectionists, so it might be expected that a signage mistake starts a kerfuffle with her fiance. The fight accelerates, and he dumps her, and also dumps Butterball their now her cat.
Already I am all in to the book, cat, plus pizza? and a sleaze that belongs in Geneva Bay not walking next to it.

Delilah forges ahead with the 'soft' opening. People come, but a key waiter does not.. while looking for the waiter she discovers her beloved aunt. Biz is standing over a body, holding a gun.. I was totally hooked, before I read about the super tips for making the best deep dish 'za.

An excellent setting, lively dialogue and a mystery that does not cheat the reader. Quigley is on the right track. Her next in the series comes out this month. Grab them both.

The first in a new cozy series, this has a lot of promise. I love the small town setting with a restaurant at the center. Delilah is a tenacious sleuth and a loving caretaker. The rest of the characters all have the potential to be solid sidekicks. Detective Capone would be a great love interest 😉

The mystery cropped up very quickly in the book, but the solving was a slow burn. In this case, learning more about the characters seemed to take precedence over the mystery. But the author has set it up for the next book to take off. I can’t wait to see what happens with these characters in the next novel.

I've read many foodie cozies but none that involve pizza. I really enjoyed that aspect of this one. Especially the mob twist to the mystery. Can't wait for the next one in the series.

Pizza? Murder? And a cat? What more could I want in a book than that! When Delilah's aunt gets tangled up in a murder during her pizzeria's grand opening, it's up to her to solve the case!

This book is perfect for fans of other food-based mysteries like Ellie Alexander. It delivers a fun cast of characters and delicious pizza distractions that will have you sitting beside a bowl of rising dough before the end. The first in what is to be a new series, it's a great introduction to the town and characters.

Really liked this story. I liked the characters and plot, and feel like this will be a good series. Lots of potential here. I hope there will be more in this series.

Thanks to her wealthy fiance Sam, Delilah O’Leary is opening a gourmet deep-dish pizzeria in Geneva Bay, Wisconsin. But the soft opening goes awry when Sam abruptly dumps her & Delliah finds the dead body of her elderly aunt's caregiver. Police detective Calvin Capone, great grandson of the legendary gangster, investigates. Delilah & her aunt Biz are determined to find the real killer and to save her fledgling business.

This was an enjoyable debut culinary mystery.

I received a digital ARC from Netgalley and St. Martin's Press. All opinions are my own.

When Delilah O’Leary moved back to Geneva Bay, Wisconsin, she planned on opening her own restaurant. But she didn’t plan on the soft opening becoming a crime scene.

Delilah and her sous chef Sonya are prepped with pizza dough, the perfect sauce, and dozens of toppings for their high-end deep dish pizzas. Delilah has dreamt of opening her own restaurant for years, and with the help of her fiancé Sam and his deep pockets, she’s finally able to take the chance. She moved back to help take care of her great-aunt Elizabeth, who has a caregiver to help her, but still Delilah wants to be more involved in Auntie Biz’s life.

During the soft opening of the restaurant, Delilah spends the night talking to her family and friends, making sure everyone is eating well, promoting the restaurant, and trying to keep track of her staff. Sonya has the kitchen running like a Swiss clock, and bartender Daniel is great with a pour, so the bar is under control. Hostess Melody is doing her best, but their server, Carson, is missing in action. Delilah decides to take care of that right away.

Carson had consistently been late and negligent, and Delilah was going to fire him immediately. She heard that he had been heading towards the lake, so that was the direction she went. But she was distracted, first by a loud bang, and the by a quiet voice calling for help. Delilah follows the voice to find it’s Auntie Biz. Her caregiver Jeremy is lying there, covered in blood. And Biz is holding a gun, her gun, Well, one of her guns.

After being questioned by Detective Calvin Capone, great-grandson of another Capone, Delilah is able to get Biz into bed into her apartment. But the restaurant is put on hold until Delilah can make sure that Biz is okay. Meanwhile, Delilah and Sam have had a big fight, and he’s disappeared. Someone breaks into Delilah’s apartment in the night and steals Biz’s medicine. And Biz ends up in the hospital. Despite being told often by Detective Capone not to investigate, Delilah feels like it’s the only way to save her restaurant and keep Auntie Biz safe.

But how much danger is Delilah putting herself in as she keeps sticking her chef’s knife into other people’s business?

Six Feet Deep Dish is the first in Mindy Quigley’s Deep Dish Mystery series. It’s filled with a cast of strong and fun characters, and the mystery is well written. But be prepared for two things with this series. First of all, you will be hungry. Hearing Delilah and Sonya describe these pizza creations they are making will make your mouth water while you read, so I hope you are willing to try out one of the recipes at the end, or that you have a good deep dish pizza place nearby. And second, Delilah and Sam’s chonky orange cat Butterball steals all the scenes she’s in.

I listened to the audio book for this one, narrated by Holly Adams, and I really enjoyed listening to this book. I thought it was read well, with lots of personality, which helps keep all the characters distinct as you listen. Even the recipes at the end are told in character, as Sonya teaches listeners how to make their signature dough and Daniel piping in with a cocktail recipe.

I thought Six Feet Deep Dish was a lot of fun. It has a solid foundation for a good cozy mystery series, and having the detective be a descendant of one of Chicago’s most notorious gangsters adds some interesting spice. I thought Delilah was a little naïve when it comes to crime-solving, but it gives her a chance to grow as a character through the series, so I look forward to seeing where she goes next. This is a strong start, and it offers a lot of potential for Delilah and Son and the rest of the gang to make delicious food and to solve more murders.

Egalleys for Six Feet Deep Dish were provided by St. Martin’s Press through NetGalley, but I bought the audio book myself from Chirp.