Six Feet Deep Dish

Pub Date 23 Aug 2022 | Archive Date Not set
St. Martin's Press, St. Martin's Paperbacks

Talking about this book? Use #SixFeetDeepDish #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Delilah O’Leary can’t wait to open her new gourmet deep-dish pizzeria in Geneva Bay, Wisconsin—a charming resort town with a long history as a mobsters’ hideaway, millionaires’ playground, and vacation mecca. Engaged to a hunk with a hefty trust fund, Delilah is poised to begin a life that’s just about as delicious as one of her cheesy creations.

Just before opening night, though, Delilah’s plans for pizza perfection hit the skids when her fiancé dumps her and leaves her with a very large memento from their relationship—Butterball, their spoiled, plus-sized tabby cat.

Delilah O’Leary can’t wait to open...

Advance Praise

"Every now and again a cozy comes along in which the author not only checks off all of the boxes but does such an excellent job in the process that the book totally stands out from the crowd. This is the case with Six Feet Deep Dish....Droll and witty, sophisticated and credible, this is a series to watch out for." —First Clue (starred review)

"Your mouth will water from the first page of this delightful new cozy. You’ll also love the characters, and the perfectly plotted murder had me guessing the whole way through. Delilah is my new favorite amateur detective." —Paige Shelton, New York Times bestselling author

"Delilah O'Leary is as appealing as the pizzas she serves at her new restaurant. Fiercely loyal to her friends and employees, the strong willed, hugely competent Delilah is a cozy heroine for our times. I loved everything about her and her refreshing can-do attitude to cooking pizza, running her restaurant, and solving murders, along with the occasional healthy dose of insecurity! Six Feet Deep Dish is a wonderful start to a promising series, and I can't wait to visit Geneva Bay and enjoy more of whatever's being served at Delilah & Son." —Vicki Delany, National bestselling author

"Quigley pens a deliciously twisty mystery layered with salty suspects and packed with local flavor. Six Feet Deep Dish is sure to leave cozy readers drooling for more." —Julie Anne Lindsay, bestselling author

"A delight. A delicious adventure, full of wit and charm....Quigley’s excellent writing will amuse and entertain as readers immerse themselves in her twisty plotting." —Tracee de Hahn, author of the Agnes Lüthi Mysteries

"Delicious....Six Feet Deep Dish will only stoke your appetite for the next in this must-read new foodie cozy series." —Maddie Day, author of the Country Store Mysteries

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Six Feet Deep Dish is the first book in this series. it takes place in Geneva Bay, Wisconsin. Delilah O'Leary (Dee) is the main character. She is getting ready to open a gourmet deep-dish pizzeria along with her fiancé and business partner, Sam VanMeter. They live over the restaurant with Sam's cat, Butterball. Just before their trial opening she and Sam get into a huge fight and he leaves saying it is all over leaving Dee to prepare and deal with their opening. She has her employees Sonya Dokter, friend and sous chef; Daniel, friend and bartender; Melody, hostess and Carson her server. Everyone attending is enjoying themselves. Her aunt, Elizabeth O'Grady and her caretaker, Jeremy come to the opening but she seems not herself. Jeremy is also acting strange. When Dee goes out to get some air she finds Jeremy dead and her aunt unconscious in her wheelchair with the gun in her lap. Dee calls for help and people come out of the restaurant. The police are called. Detective Calvin Capone arrives, He goes to Dee;s apartment to interview her and her aunt about Jeremy's death and takes the gun which Delilah still has in her hands. He is also looking for Sam who seems to have disappeared. This is where the story takes off with all kinds of twists and turns with the supporting characters adding to the story. Dee is concerned she and her aunt will be arrested as suspects and she and her friends decide to find out who killed Jeremy and why. The next day while waiting for her friends a man named Robert Blakemore (Rabbit) is there to apply for the job as dishwasher. which she hires. While cleaning up after the opening Robert finds a purse on a purse hook at a side booth, which belonged to Veronica Tancka who also worked for Dee as a consultant sommelier for the wines for the restaurant. While having lunch with her employees they notice Veronica's BMW parked on the far side of the parking lot. Veronica arrives to pick up her purse and car which has her keys still in her purse. The night before she said that she and Carson were having sex in her car when Jeremy was murdered.

Delilah finds her aunt on the bedroom floor unconscious and calls for an ambulance. While at the hospital she finds out that the pills she has been taking were opiates which apparently had been given to her by Jeremy to keep her drugged. She goes back to the apartment to get the pills and finds that they are not there. Someone has taken them. She calls and notifies the detective that the pills are not there.

The story picks up pace with Delilah and her workers doing their own investigations. She and Detective Capone try to work together but at times come to disagreements. Sam is finally found and Dee and he decide that they are better as friends. He will continue to fund her restaurant. Delilah finally opens and although things are going well the story takes an unexpected turn and there is a lot of suspense until the ending when the murderer is exposed.

The last chapter is when Detective Capone arrives at her restaurant with Butterball who has gotten into a fight with his cat. Brujo Delilah realizes that it is his cat that has been fighting with Butterball. After a few harsh words they realize they must give each other some slack as no one is perfect. It will be interesting to see where their friendship goes in the next book in this series..

Thank you NetGalley and St. Martin's Paperbacks for this ARC.

Six Feet Deep Dish by Mindy Quigley is a great cozy mystery that is the first in a new series: Deep Dish Mysteries. I truly loved this!

This is such a great first book. It really takes off from the very get-go.

The cast of characters, their interactions, their whip-smart dialogue, the one-liners, the cheekiness…it is hilarious and perfect. The balance between this and the murder/mystery, the past guilts, the inner and external struggles that each character is dealing with, is spot on.

This book takes place in the small lakeside vacation town of Geneva Bay, Wisconsin. Delilah O’Leary is the main character, but the additional characters: Aunt Biz, Daniel, Sonya, Melody, Butterball (my own orange cat was plump and named Butterfinger as I have found a kindred spirit ), and Capone….make for a great book. Even the recipes have humor and sass.

I am soooooo looking forward to new books.

5/5 stars

Thank you NG and St. Martin’s Press for this wonderful arc and in return I am submitting my unbiased and voluntary review and opinion.

I am posting this review to my GR and Bookbub accounts immediately and will post it to my Amazon, Instagram, and B&N accounts upon publication on 8/23/22.

Delilah is a good main character, but I really disliked her fiancé Sam. There was a good solid mystery that kept me guessing, and I like the setting of a pizza place. I think this series has great potential and I’m looking forward to reading the next book.
#SixFeetDeepDish #NetGalley
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for selecting me to read an advanced copy of this book.

Delilah is opening a pizza restaurant in a cozy tourist town with financial backing from her millionaire fiance. But all is not well in this relationship and when someone is murdered during her soft opening she fears her restaurant dreams are over. Add a feisty aunt, loyal crew and hot detective and you have the first in a winning mystery series

The first in a new cozy mystery series set in Wisconsin! Delilah is excited to be opening a new deep dish pizza restaurant with her fiancé. However, things to start to go wrong after a fight with her fiancé followed up by a murder. Even worse, her aunt was found holding the murder weapon. Delilah must solve the murder before she is next!

I really liked this debut book of a new series. The characters are great, the plot was good, and it made me excited for future books! Plus I love the animal companion here - a chubby cat named butterball!

I received my copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I love this book and am delighted to find a new cozy mystery series that I truly enjoy. The writing flows. The plot is well-paced. The characters are multi-dimensional. There is no tedious descriptions to increase word count. The characters and social situation have an air of authenticity to them. It's a delicious .new series and this first book has whet my appetite for more.

This fast-paced and well written drama quickly became a page-turner as I could not put this book down until all was said and done. The mystery was executed with deliberate fanfare that included a bountiful and eclectic cast of characters, an intriguing pool of suspects and clues sprinkled throughout that kept me immersed in all aspects. The author knows how to tell a story with visually descriptive narrative and engaging dialogue that put me in the middle of all the action. The comfortable tone made it easy to follow along with what the author intended. I enjoyed the menu-planning meals that were interspersed in the telling of this tale. There were a few red herrings that enhanced my reading pleasure. Overall, I enjoyed this series that is a welcome addition to the cozy genre.

What a delight! I not only found a new-to-me author to follow but the joy of reading this fast-paced, fun cozy mystery. Delilah O'Leary is focused so much on opening her new gourmet pizzeria that the worst of her control freak side has ruined a relationship, then she discovers a dead body outside at the pizzeria's soft opening. It's her elderly Aunt Biz's caretaker, Jeremy. The murder weapon is found in her aunt's possession. Enter Geneva Bay's police detective Capone, great grandson of the legendary Al Capone. Fur is going to fly and it isn't all going to come from Butterball, Deliliah's plus-sized cat.

I found myself immediately sucked into the story. Not only is Delilah's personality one you can't ignore but her pizzeria staff is made up of equally unique characters. All have back stories and needs and depend on Delilah to one extent or the other. Oh, the pressure of being the boss. They have her back, fortunately, and the dialogue, quips, and zingers seem to flow naturally, making them someone we'd like to know. Despite having just seen Sam, her boyfriend exit, she finds herself drawn to Capone. His backstory trickles out as the book continues and you will find yourself liking him, too, I'm sure. Delilah sure did but, well, will that be enough? Maybe. Life is never perfect, alas.

Who killed Jeremy? As it turns out, there are many legitimate suspects. Since Delilah was storming out of the pizzeria determined to fire Carson when she found the body and he was nowhere to be found, he's an obvious suspect. Biz? After all, the gun was hers. Who steals Aunt Biz's medications? Why does she wind up in the hospital? Did Sam's jaunt cleanse his heart chakra and help him reconnect with himself? Why does Veronica call Jeremy a viper? What surprise is found in Biz's shed? And, oh, so much more. The twist at the end was a stunner. Put this one on your "TBR" list and enjoy the recipes at the end, too. They were made extra special by being given in the "voices" of various characters, adding to the fun. Let's just say, I rarely do more than scan recipes. These I read with a grin.

Thanks #NetGalley and #StMartinsPress for inviting me to Geneva Bay, Wisconsin, for Delilah's grand opening. It was fun and I will definitely be back.

It's the night of the soft opening of Delilah O'Leary's pizzeria. Everything is going great until a gunshot is heard and Delilah finds the dead body of her Aunt Biz's personal care assistant with Aunt Biz next to it holding the murder weapon. Delilah isn't satisfied with the pace Detective Calvin Capone and the rest of the local police set for solving the case. Delilah is very new at this but she is determined to identify the murderer. This book has a very interesting storyline. I enjoyed it. I liked most of the characters. Sam... not so much. He was too "zen" for my taste. I am looking forward to the next book in the series.

"Fresh mozzarella, tangy tomato sauce, and murder: the perfect recipe for a delicious first entry in Mindy Quigley's Six Feet Deep Dish, a delectable new series...

Delilah O'Leary can’t wait to open her new gourmet deep-dish pizzeria in Geneva Bay, Wisconsin - a charming resort town with a long history as a mobsters' hideaway, millionaires' playground, and vacation mecca. Engaged to a hunk with a hefty trust fund, Delilah is poised to begin a life that's just about as delicious as one of her cheesy creations.

Just before opening night, though, Delilah's plans for pizza perfection hit the skids when her fiancé dumps her and leaves her with a very large memento from their relationship - Butterball, their spoiled, plus-sized tabby cat.

Delilah's trouble deepens when she discovers a dead body and finds her elderly aunt holding the murder weapon. Handsome local police detective Calvin Capone, great grandson of the legendary gangster, opens an investigation, threatening to sink Delilah's pie-in-the-sky ambitions before they can even get off the ground. To save her aunt and get her pizza place generating some dough, Delilah must deliver the real killer."

Set in Wisconsin and featuring deep-dish pizza and a plus-sized cat? Um, yes, please! This book was written for me!

I really enjoyed this book! I liked the characters (especially Butterball), setting & mystery. The cozy mystery schtick of a pizza place was great and I drooled reading the various food descriptions.

This author was new to me and I'll definitely be reading more of her books.

Very much looking forward to more books in this series!

I received a complimentary copy of this book from St. Martin's Press through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own. Thank you, St. Martin's Press!

Ms. Quigly pens a Chicago set culinary cozy with a few twists and turns.
Sam and Delilah open a deep dish pizzeria in Chicago, so Delilah can keep a closer eye on her ailing Aunt Biz in the former mob front, Rocco’s.
When a murder occurs at their soft opening, Delilah feels the need to nose around, much to the dismay of the investigating detective. She manages to be able to give him some new information and also to endanger herself in the process by deciding who the killer is….wrongly.
It’s a fun read and I recommend it for any cozy fan.
I requested and received a NetGalley ARC to peruse gratis and offer my opinion in the same.

Huge thanks to the publisher and NetGallery for an advance copy of SixFeet Deep Dish in return of an honest review. It was a perfect way to pass the time in this hot, humid weather!

I loved it! Delilah is just about to open her new pizza restaurant when her fiance dumps her. And that's not all, a body is found and Delilah needs to help the investigation along in order to have a successful opening.

Ms Quigley writes an amazing mystery, keeping the pages turning til the last pages only to discover I never expected that to be the killer. Excellent first in the series, I look forward to more!

In Nine Feet Deep Dish, Mindy Quigley lays out the right amount of detail in the first chapter...a good number of characters...enough to keep you guessing,  a great sense of place, both the Chicago themed pizza restaurant and the beautiful lakeside community. Just like a great pizza sauce, this story is a perfect blend of cozy and mystery. You will breeze through the pages and land with a solid ending and find yourself craving the next book in the series.

Six Feet Deep Dish by Mindy Quigley was brilliant! This murder mystery was better than good pizza and I’m someone who would eat pizza for every meal! I’m sad it’s the first in the series because I’ll have a long time to wait for the next one.

What I loved
-A heroine, Delilah, who goes after her dream of owning a restaurant and doesn’t let something like a murder stand in her way
-Body positive best friend and a great supporting cast
-Cozy Midwest lake town setting and great kitchen descriptions
-An adorable chunky cat and an even cuter sounding non-chunky detective

Perfect for fans of Hannah Swenson and culinary cozy mysteries!

A pizza restaurant with an upscale twist in the resort town of Geneva Bay, Wisconsin, a chef whose main concern has been the menu, not murder, a group of quirky and lovable supporting characters, a detective whose family tree includes Al Capone and a chubby, adorable cat named Butterball all make this a cozy mystery you'll love!

Delilah O' Leary, has all the cozy elements I love - she's independent, sassy, soft-hearted and determined to make it in the restaurant world. I liked that Delilah was in her late 30's and was not perfect. Through the book, she learns about herself and how to be an amateur sleuth which made her seem more "real". Of course, Butterball was quite a character! The descriptions of Geneva Bay, with its "millionaires row" of mansions and gorgeous scenery made the book even more enjoyable.

There's a bit of everything - mystery, humor, romance, friendship and a cast of characters you'll love meeting!

I received an ARC from NetGalley and the opinions expressed in this review are my own.

Six Feet Deep Dish is a wonderful start to this debut series. and new to me author. At the soft opening of Delilah O'Leary's new gourmet pizza restaurant. she breaks up with her rich fiancee who financed the restaurant. and then finds her elderly aunt's caregiver's body, and her aunt sitting in her wheelchair holding a gun. To clear her aunt's name. and get her restaurant open so she can pay her crew, Delilah. with a little help from her restaurant crew, investigate to find the killer. The handsome detective on the case is not happy with her interference, especially as she often questions the suspects before him. This was a good mystery. Plenty of red herrings which kept me guessing til the very end. I loved the characters, especially Delilah, her spunky aunt, and the antics of her chubby cat. aptly named Butterball. Thank you to the publisher and netgalley for the advance copy.

📖My Thoughts📖

Do not, I repeat, do not dive into this delectable treat on an empty stomach! This is the very first book in the series and it starts off with a bang! There’s some great characters in the book, including a detective stemming from the family tree of none other than Al Capone, a very smart, sassy independent chef named Delilah, a spitfire aunt named Biz, and let’s not forget the lovable cat named Butterball! This was such a fun book to read. There’s romance, murder and food, lots of food. Within minutes of starting this book, I was sucked in. What a fun and entertaining book to read! I can’t wait to get my hands on the next book in this series! It’s off to a great start! Don’t forget to check the end of the book for some mouth watering recipes!
Thank you Netgalley, Mindy Quigley and St Martin’s Press for the opportunity to read and review this book. Mark your calendar’s! You’ll want to add this to your cozy mystery library! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

This new cozy series set in the resort town of Geneva Bay Wisconsin was a delicious read. Delilah is opening her upscale pizzeria, but the night just goes from bad to worse. First her fiancee dumps her and then she finds a dead body with her aunt Biv holding the murder weapon, Delilah need to get the murder solved to clear her aunt and make sure her new restaurant is effected. The story features a police detective named Calvin Capone who is the great grandson of Al Capone. Delilah is a loyal friend as well as type A personality, so she is quickly deep into the investigation to solve the murder.

I really liked Delilah's friends and the food descriptions were amazing. Yum. This is a great start to the series. I am looking forward to the next one.

Thank you Netgalley and St. Martin's Press, St. Martins Paperbacks for the eArc. This is my honest review.

This is an amazing first book in a new series! The author hits it out of the park right away. There’s a eclectic cast of supporting characters, especially Delilah’s spitfire Auntie Biz. I love that her friends want in on the sleuthing. Delilah herself is a tad hot headed & that gets her into some predicaments but being so tenacious is also good for her business. She feels like a real person, flawed, which makes her very relatable. Some authors writing is so smooth & well paced that you find yourself ripping through their book. Quigley is one of those authors! This is a really creative & fun start to a series, I’m looking forward to more.

Warning it will make you hungry! There’s many delicious sounding recipes.

This was a pure joy to read. Quigley has written a tough but loveable character in Delilah and has created a diverse group of friends and family to support her. Oh and then there’s the ultimate heart and scene stealer, Butterball the cat. Plus Quigley deftly balances the mystery plot to keep you wondering right up until the end. And, I will admit I’ve never had deep dish pizza but if its tastes as good as it’s described no wonder it’s such a sensation. Be warned you will want to try the recipes pronto! This is the first book in the Deep Dish Mystery series and can’t wait to read more in this delicious series.

This cozy (foodie) mystery takes place in Geneva Bay, Wisconsin. The restaurant was formally one frequented by the mod. Delilah (Chef) and her fiancé, Sam are getting ready for a soft opening of their new restaurant which serves up gourmet, Chicago style deep dish pizzas. Delilah and Sam, who is financially supporting Delilah's dream, is having a rough patch in their relationship and decide to part ways. Since the business is in Sam's name and he was responsible for the capital,Delilah is not only trying to figure out a way to keep the restaurant open, pay vendors and employees, etc., but now she has a murder to solve!

During the soft opening, her Aunt Biz is implicated in the murder of her caregiver, Jeremy. There are several suspects all present at the time of the murder and it's up to Detective Capone, a dependent of the mobster Al, and Delilah to gather up the evidence and bring the murderer to justice.

This solid mystery kicks off new cozy series. Please see my review at www.reviewingtheevidence.com.

I really enjoyed reading this first book from Mindy Quigley. Six Feet Deep Dish is a well written cozy mystery, where the reader is pulled in from the first page. I don't feel that a recap of the book is due now, the synopsis does a good job. Delilah, Auntie Biz & the rest of the crew make for a quick read with "real" characters. The killer is revealed at the end, without a give-away before hand (always a good sign). I look forward to reading the next in the series. Thank you to NetGalley, St Martin's Press & Ms Quigley for the pre-read in exchange for an honest review.

I received this as an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Okay, if you're here for the food you found the right place! The imagery was spot on and I'm already researching local pizzerias to try to recreate the vibe from this book!

The murder investigation and the romance aspect were equally measured in this story and I liked it! If you need a cozy mystery that will inspire you to pull up grubhub, you found it.

This was a delicious new cozy mystery.
This is the first slice in a new series and I look forward to the next one.
The characters were interesting and the whodunit was first rate.
I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy of this book.

Savory deep dish pizza, stuffed with gooey cheese, tangy tomato sauce, and steaming with your favorite ingredients (I'm thinking artichokes, mushrooms, sliced tomatoes, basil...) Add an icy cocktail made by a handsome bartender who knows just the right balance to give it a gentle kick. Set it all on a wrought iron table under a striped umbrella overlooking a crystal blue lake where people row past in little wooden boats, shouting and waving to people they know. Yes, it's the ideal mental vacation destination.

Now add a little murder, throw in some fishy local residents, a rascally cat, and a piping hot police detective. Check, check, and check! At this point it's redundant to say I really liked this book. But I'll say it anyway. The setting literally could not have been better. I get hungry just thinking about it! The characters were a lot of fun, each one at the bottom of a slump and climbing their way out together in what is quite possibly the best place to do that kind of climbing.

As far as cozies go, this book followed all the tropes we cozy fans know and love. I thoroughly enjoyed it and am very much looking forward to book two.

Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an ARC.

A cozy mystery wrapped in delicious pizza talk. Several suspects, a few unexpected twists and yummy pizza ideas.

Delilah O’Leary is getting ready to open her new gourmet deep-dish pizzeria in Geneva Bay, Wisconsin when someone murders her Aunts caregiver. Her business closed and with nothing to do she and her employees decide to solve the murder. Good mystery.

Such a fun new cozy! I love the wit and the three dimensional characters.. I can’t wait to get to know the folks of this town in future installments!

This book was sent to me by Netgalley for review. Thanks to the publisher for the electronic copy. This is a cozy mystery with love and romance, friends, a new business...secrets...red herrings abound...the protagonist is a quirky character who seems to sabotage her relationships without trying...her friends help her, but she needs to control every situation...curl up in a comfy chair and enjoy this story. It does move slowly, at times, but comes to a satisfying end.

This was such a fun and easy going mystery to read. Taking place in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin Six Feet Deep Dish tells the story of the opening of a restaurant … and a murder.

Mindy Quingley does a wonderful job of building the main character to the point that you feel like she is a friend by the end of the story. There is truly something for everyone in this book: crime, friendship, small business ownership, food, pets, redefining relationships, and even some financial speak. I love the theme of the restaurant and how the cast of characters are all intertwined. You feel as though you are part of the community as you read.

Most of all, I love when books end with recipes. I think it adds a fun flare to a book that is all about food!

I received this ARC via Netgalley and St. Martin’s Press/St. Martin’s Paperbacks, in return for an honest review. As the first book in a new series, there are things to recommend. The protagonist opens her own Chicago-style pizzeria in the small town that allows her to be close to her only living relative who is rapidly declining in health. That being said, Delilah is totally focused on opening the new restaurant and not much on her aunt or, actually, Delilah’s fiancée who bankrolled the whole enterprise. When the book opens with their major split up and accusations of emotional distance on both sides, neither character actually seems very appealing. On the plus side, Aunt Biz sounds fun; Butterball the cat is a definite plus and Delilah has friends who love her in spite of her tendencies for over-perfection. The series has potential and, hopefully, Delilah will appreciate more those around her (ala ‘no (wo)man is an island).

Six Feet Deep Dish is the debut cozy mystery by Mindy Quigley. This was an enjoyable book with a lot of descriptions but the characters are likable and the mystery was good. Delilah (Del) and her fiance Sam are opening a pizza restaurant. They get in a fight on opening night and break up which causes problems because Sam financed it all. Dell's Auntie Biz's health isn't good and her caretaker Jeremy brings her to the opening. He takes her outside for some fresh air but he ends up dead and Biz doesn't remember anything. Del, her best friend Sonya and her 3 employees work together to clear Biz. The Detective on the case is Calvin Capone, a distant relative to the gangster Al Capone. It was interesting to have more background on him. The cozy mystery is good and just when you think you are at the end of the book, there is a twist to keep it interesting. Overall it was an enjoyable book with great characters. #NetGalley #SixFeetDeepDish #StMartinsPress

I enjoyed Six Feet Deep Dish. The mystery was fun and the characters were enjoyable. This was the first Mindy Quigley book that I have read, and so I cannot speak to her previous books, but this most recent mystery was a good read. .

The characters were nicely developed and the plot moved along easily. Books that end with recipes are always fun, and while this mystery was not difficult to solve, nor was the romantic interest difficult to discover, the actual plot was still fun.. These characters were likable,, and as a cozy mystery, I would certainly recommend it.

I want to thank the author and the publisher for this ARC, in exchange for my honest review. But as I wrote above, this was an easy book to like and review. Thank you also to NetGalley for recommending this novel.

I found this to be a fun introduction to a new series and to an author new to me. I have to admit that I didn't really like Delilah at first, with her type A personality being a turn-off. But her fiance's dogged conflict avoidance wasn't exactly endearing either. Butterball was probably the star of the show, lol. But as the book progressed, I actually started liking Delilah, especially when she started listening to her friends. I also liked that even though she hated sitting still and meditating, unlike her fiance, she did stop to reflect and considered her own mistakes. And the bottom line is that I liked that she had a good heart and truly wanted her restaurant to succeed not just because it was a lifelong dream, but also because it would help her friends. Sonya, her best friend and sous-chef, was exactly who she needed to snap out of her single-mindedness, but I also liked the balance that the rest of the staff brought. And I loved Aunt Biz and know we'll see more from her in future books.

In terms of the mystery, it was complex enough to keep me guessing, although I had wondered about the culprit earlier on (but not the reason). In some ways, it felt like Delilah was stumbling onto the clues, but thinking back, she and her friends thought about ways to proceed and she was able to delegate different aspects of the case. I feel like her type A personality was an asset here, even if she was new to all of this. I do like that she and Capone did talk things out and that they were both able to acknowledge mistakes they had made. I also liked when he suggested she stay out of things that he explained mistakes she had made and she was able to see it, even if she hates being wrong. Altogether, it gives me hope for a possible future relationship.

The book has recipes at the end, mainly for the pizzas, which sounded amazing, but as I'm gluten-free, I will probably not try them. There is also a recipe for one of the cocktails that sounds really yummy and I'm tempted to try the salad since I've always wanted to try using fennel.

I really enjoyed this book and will definitely be keeping an eye out for future books. Fans of cozy mysteries will likely eat this book up, heh heh.

I received an advance review copy from NetGalley for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.

This book is due to be published on August 23.

This is Book 1 of the Deep Dish Mystery series, Delilah O’Leary can’t wait to open her new gourmet deep-dish pizzeria in Geneva Bay, Wisconsin. The town is known for mobsters and it being a vacation hideaway. On the eve of her opening night, her fiancé dumps her and takes their cat. When a body turns up and her Aunt holding the murder weapon, she must find the killer before things really go off the rails.

No better way to get over a reading slump than by reading this fun little mystery. Delilah’s drive to save her restaurant and solve the murder involving her restaurant makes this novel captivating. Once you start reading this book you realize that it is quite hard to put down. There are many twists and turns, and just when you think you’ve solved the mystery something else comes up. Very happy I got to read this and I can’t wait to see what the rest of the series looks like.

Thanks to NetGalley and St Martins Press for the ARC of this book!
#netgalley #smpinfluencers

This was a great story and I believe the first in a new series. Delilah and Sam are getting ready to open a new deep dish pizza restaurant overlooking the lake in Geneva Bay after escaping the rush of city life. Things don’t quite go as planned when Jeremy is murdered on the dock during the soft opening. Jeremy was Delilah's Aunt Biz's caretaker. Things go from bad to worse as Delilah tries to help solve the murder. Will she and those around her survive and will the restaurant ever open?
Loved the characters and one has some quirky characteristics that make them relatable. Some I felt bad for and others I felt sorry for though some if their actions were due to their in poor judgements. Sam and Delilah are complete opposites which attracted them to each other but is that attraction sustainable for the long haul? The plot is well thought out and moves along at a good pace. I didn’t feel it rushed or left out too many details; it also didn’t feel like I was being dragged along through the story. Overall I found this to be a great read and look forward to more from this author. 5 of 5 stars from me!
I received an advance copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.

What a delight Six Feet Deep Dish was to read. It hits all the tried-and-true cozy mystery tropes that I love. It took me a while to warm up to the protagonist Delilah O'Leary, mainly because there is a lot of setting the stage for the mystery aspect of the story, but I felt like her character came alive about a third of the way through and I found her voice and stood out as a compelling lead. I enjoyed the humorous tone, although some of the characterizations were a tad broad, but again this improves drastically as the book progresses, which kept me reading till the end. and hoping for more stories featuring these characters. Oh, and the witty banter between Delilah and Capone was **chef's kiss**

I enjoyed Mindy Quigley's debut here and look forward to additional books in this series. This is a great read for cozy mystery book clubs and will definitely

Delilah O’Leary is excited about opening her new gourmet deep-dish pizzeria but things quickly go off-track. First, she breaks up with her fiancé – who just happens to be financing the pizzeria, and then she finds a dead body - and her elderly aunt is holding the murder weapon! Local police Detective Calvin Capone is on the case but Delilah starts investigating the murder herself – she needs to save her aunt and her restaurant!

“Six Feet Deep Dish” is an interesting start to Mindy Quigley's Deep Dish cozy mystery series. At the beginning of the book I really did not like Delilah – she was controlling, rude to Sam, and just not likable. But once Sam was out of the way and the murder happened and she had to rely more on people, I started to like her more and by the end of the book I was fully invested in her as a character. Pizzerias have been used as the setting for cozy mysteries in the past but Quigley adds a nice touch with not only the pizzeria itself (with a gangster theme) but the pizzas Delilah and crew make (there are recipes in the back of the book). The mystery is well done with just the right amount of suspects – while I did figure out some parts of the mystery I was completely surprised at who the killer was. Finally, I like the way Delilah and Capone interact with each other – it’s nice to see an amateur sleuth work with a detective rather than against the detective.

“Six Feet Deep Dish” got off to a bit of a rocky start but turned out to be a nice cozy mystery.

I requested to read and review this book for free from St. Martin Publishing Company. This book will have you laughing and gasping. Do you really know the people around you? Who can you trust? Asking for help can be super hard sometimes. Delilah is a head strong women who knows what she wants but sometimes has a hard time not being so blunt and hurting feelings. Capone has a family that makes him want to set apart and ho his own path. Sometimes you need friends like Daniel, Melody, Son. Family is important. Sometimes things happen that makes us remember that. This is for any type of reader and can be read anywhere.

This is a great start to a new series.
Overall I enjoyed the food descriptions that make your mouth water. I look forward to the next adventure.
#SixFeetDeepDish #NetGalley

What a fun beach read - light and delicious! A very relatable, likable and self-aware protagonist surrounded by a varied group of friends and family, a murder and a not-very-obvious perpetrator. What could be better for rained-in summer weekend. Well, maybe, just maybe, one day someone will write one of these foodie-based murder mysteries for us vegetarians.

Introducing Delilah O'Leary, a new amateur sleuth and chef in a deep dish pizza restaurant. A perfect casting, incredibly clever dialogue, one-liners, cheekiness, all the characters...it's hilarious. The pizzas in the book sounded delicious, as well as the recipes. Ultimately, Delilah gets dumped by her boyfriend, Sam, who has some serious pocket money. Butterball, the plump cat they share, stole the show.
When the dead body was discovered, it was full of intrigue, suspense, and kept me on the edge of my seat. This novel ended with a different kind of twist when Delilah found the killer. Can't wait to read the next book in this series.

Thank you to St Martin's Press and NetGalley for the ARC. This is an honest review.

I love pizza so it came as no surprise to me that I loved this delicious and fabulous read! What an amazing first start to the series! I'm already anxiously awaiting the next installment!

It's always stressful starting a new business but even more so when your finance takes off the night before the grand opening. Dee's excited about her pizza place in Lake Geneva and she thought Sam was too but now he's gone with no information about where he is or if he's coming back. He did leave Butterball, their aptly named cat. Can it get worse? Yes, it can. Dee finds her aunt holding a gun and her aide Jeremy dead. Det. Calvin Capone (yes, a relative) doesn't think Dee did it but then.....Just when it looks like this is going to be a standard cozy, Sam comes back! There are lots of characters, which I assume will be further fleshed out (or excised) in future outings- remember that this is the first a series. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. It's clever.

Thanks to #NetGalley for an ARC of #SixFeetDeepDish! This is a brand new mystery series & the first entry is pretty solid. It definitely has the tropes of a modern cozy mystery:
*over-achieving, newly single woman
*hottie detective
*sassy female BFF / older relative

But Quigley has taken those stereotype characters & given them some fun and depth. The plot moves quickly and the snappy dialogue had me laughing several times. I'm also a sucker for foodie mysteries so this works for me on a few levels and has great promise for an on-going series.

Six Feet Deep Dish is a fun, well-written, new cozy mystery series by Mindy Quigly. The author centers her story around a new deep-dish pizza place in a fictional Wisconsin resort town. Chicago-style pizza fans (me!) will not be disappointed, especially with the recipes provided at the end. New York-style pizza lovers - maybe the book will convert you to pizza done right.

I'm a destination reader, especially when I'm out on the road or planning a trip; therefore, I particularly love series that highlight regional cultures and cuisines. But a cozy needs more than a location and recipes. It's the characters that bring life and longevity to a series. In this case, the cast is a delightful and diverse mix of people - people I look forward to hearing more from in future volumes. The plot was also engaging and kept me reading.

Readers looking for a fun new cozy mystery series, especially fans of restaurant/food-based stories with recipes, won't be disappointed with Six Feet Deep Dish. The only problem with a new series is waiting for the next book to be released. I'm ready now.

Thanks to NetGalley for an ebook ARC in return for an honest review.

A new series has potential to be great but often book one is a bit of a slow start. I give this 4 out of 5 stars.

Delilah O'Leary is so focused on creating the perfect pizza and pizza restaurant that she often overlooks important people in her life. In this case her fiance Sam Van Meter is the source of her funding and her frustration. How she manages her business and her life is the focus of this cozy mystery. When her grandmother's caregiver is murdered she has new issues that need her attention.

I found it a bit frustrating with the continually "this person is the murderer" only to have it change in the next chapter.

Dee's cat needs a regular brushing to reduce shedding. Her negligence and the repeated discussion of cat hair does not reflect well on her.

Recipes are included.

Just so you know, I received an ARC of this book, but that has no bearing on my review if the same. Interesting beginning to a new series of books. Delilah, Aunt Biz and all the others are an interesting cast of characters and I look forward to reading more books in this series. The pizzas sound amazing and sounds like a great location for a restaurant.

This book was a tasty treat. It was filled with spots of humor as well as a gripping storyline. A plus was food that sounded yummy and places that sounded familiar to me since I live in Southeast Wisconsin. I haven’t come across a good culinary mystery since Diane Mott Davidson and this one hit all the right notes. I truly enjoyed this book. I hope to see more in this series because I really want to see where things go and how things work out for Delilah. Two thumbs up and now I have a serious craving for pizza.

This ARC was provided to me via Kindle, from St. Martin’s Press and #NetGalley. Thank you for the opportunity to preview and review. Opinions expressed are completely my own.

Another cozy mystery series that shows much promise.

A delightful mystery about Delilah O'Leary who, while in the middle of a soft opening for her new restaurant, comes across a murder victim and her own grandmother holding the murder weapon. Delilah has a need to control ever aspect of her life but learns to delegate tasks to not only solve the mystery but also get her restaurant opened.

Delilah is an enjoyable and relatable character as she navigates her relationships with her employees, family and ex-fiance who is also her business partner. As she and the local police detective, Calvin Capone, investigate clues and suspects, she delegates some investigations to her employees who want to help.

The task given to two of her employees who go off searching for clues about the murder suspect was farfetched and seemed a little out of the flow of the story.

Overall, it was a fun and fast read mystery. I look forward to more books by this author which hopefully will continue this series.

Thank you NetGalley and St Martrin's Press for sending this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Delilah and her fiancé Sam are opening a pizzeria in Geneva Bay, Wisconsin. Delilah is the chef and Sam in the money man. After an argument, Delilah is dumped by Sam which means her financial backing is gone. At the soft opening party, Delilah discovers a dead body and her elderly aunt is holding the murder weapon. Delilah is worried that the detective assigned to the case, Calvin Capone (the great grandson of Al Capone) will focus on her aunt and not find the real killer. In true cozy mystery fashion, Delilah decides to investigate along with her staff from the pizzeria. I have to say, I didn’t catch onto the killer too quickly. I enjoyed reading it and look forward to the next in the series.

Description:

This book is the first in the Deep Dish Mystery Series. It was fun from the start and everything I want from a cozy along with bonus recipes at the end!

The plot was very nicely paced, and the writing wasn’t overly descriptive making for a quick, enjoyable read.

I loved all of the characters, with the exception of Delilah’s fiancé, Sam. Luckily, he wasn’t a prominent character in the book. I enjoyed the great interactions and witty, one-liners among the cast of characters.

I’m normally not a fan of a series, but I plan on continuing with this debut author and new-to-me genre.

Was it the fun-loving fluffy kitty, Butterball, that won me over? Maybe . . . ☺️

Thank you NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for the ARC.

#CozyMystery

An entertaining book about a restaurant owner. Just befördert opening night a murder Happens. And she is going to help the police to solve the crime.

As if opening a new restaurant wasn't challenging enough for Delilah try throwing in a murder too. Delilah is a perfectionist. Her perfectionism combined with the stress of opening a restaurant led to an argument with her fiancé/business partner on the day of their soft opening and he left her. Somehow, Delilah pulls it all together and it is going well until someone gets murdered.

This story is a good blend of mystery, humor and a hint of romance. This is book #1 in the Deep Dish Mysteries series. I hope we get to get to see a lot more of all the great cast of unique secondary characters in future books. Thanks to St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for an ARC. The opinions expressed are my own.

Delilah O’Leary (Dee) moved to Genova Bay, Wisconsin from Chicago to open her pizza shop. Her boyfriend Sam had become wealthy before she meant him but they didn’t really have a lot in common. Dee gives him one job to do for the grand opening and he messes it up so they have a huge blowup and he leaves. In the meantime Dee and her right hand cook Sonja are getting the restaurant ready for a soft opening. Dee discovers a dead body with Auntie Biz holding the gun. So Dee sets out to prove her Aunt had nothing to do with the murder. Dee really needs Sam’s financial help but she can’t find him he has totally disappeared. She is determined to keep this restaurant going. I loved this who dun it and I can’t wait for the next book in this series. The recipes at the end of the book are a bonus and I can’t wait to try them.

I received this ARC from Netgalley for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.

This is the first in a new series by Mindy Quigley. I am a huge cozy mystery fan and this book is engaging from right from the start. I can’t remember when I have enjoyed a book so much.

Delilah O’Leary is looking forward to opening a gourmet deep-dish pizzeria in Geneva Bay, Wisconsin, a place she spent some of her childhood summers with her Aunt Elizabeth (Biz). Unfortunately, before the opening of the pizzeria, she gets into a fight with her fiancé and business partner, Sam Van Meter, and he takes off after breaking up with her. If that is not bad enough, her aunt’s caregiver Jeremy is found murdered on the dock of her restaurant, which shuts the place down while police investigate.

Delilah and Aunt Biz are suspects because they were found at the scene and the gun belongs to Aunt Biz. Delilah and her friends Sonya, chef in her restaurant, and Daniel, bartender, along with restaurant hostess Melody, start snooping. The detective on the case is the great grandson of Al Capone, which adds a bit of fun to the story.

Jeremy has led a sordid life and there are plenty of suspects. There is gambling, blackmail, and prescription drug abuse. I thought Ms. Quigly did an excellent job of wrapping up the story and the reasons for the suspects being guilty were believable. When the killer was revealed at the end, you can’t help but feel for them and agree with Delilah’s decision to testify on their behalf.

I admit Delilah was a little tough to like at the beginning with her controlling nature and the way she treated Sam, but she softened up as the story went on. The characters were enjoyable and I liked that Delilah was a little older and just a little overweight, which makes her relatable. Even though she just broke up with Sam, she still feels something when meeting Detective Capone. I liked reading about Geneva Bay and the history of criminal activity in the past. It will be interesting to see how these characters develop in the next book. Butterball, her cat, is a hoot with his weight issues and defending his turf against a Maine Coon cat.

Thank you NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

A new series to watch. Mindy Quigley reminds me of a few of my favorite foodie cozy authors.
Delilah O'Leary wants her new pizza restaurant to be a success. The building and its reputation play a major role in the story. Having it set in a town I am familiar with also helped me enjoy the story.
Delilah has a nice enough boyfriend but we can tell from the start they are not a perfect match.
The soft opening for the business spells disaster but I enjoyed how the staff came together.
Thank you to Netgalley for a copy to enjoy. I look forward to more by this author and in this series.

I really loved this cozy. Delilah was planning her soft opening of her restaurant. There was a big crowd there for the soft opening. prior to Sam, her fiance' left her and Her Aunt Biz's caretaker, Jeremy was the murder victim . Aunt Biz was holding a gun that was hers and Delilah took it from her. You can guess the amateur sleuth is Delilah but I didn't figure out who done it until almost the end. A VERY GOOD COZY and a series that I have put on my list as one to read. Looking forward to the next one.

Thank you to NetGalley for this ARC.

The first in a new series starts off with a bang: literally. The opening of Delilah’s gourmet deep dish pizza restaurant hits a snag when someone is murdered and Delilah’s aunt is found holding the murder weapon.

The characters are interesting, I love a sassy elderly character and all the talk of food made me hungry! I also loved the character of Rabbit; a second chance storyline always gets me. I’m excited to read more from this series!

This was a great first book in this cozy mystery series! It was a fun, fast read, I loved all of the employees who work at the restaurant, and Auntie Biz and Butterball were my favorites other than Delilah herself.

Delilah O'Leary and her fiance Sam are in the process of opening their new pizza place. During their soft opening, the body of her aunt's caregiver is found, along with her aunt standing over his body. With the restaurant shut down for the investigation, Delilah and her crew have to work to figure out who the killer is, and where her wayward fiance has run off to.

The banter between Delilah and her friends had me laughing out loud, and the way she interacts with Capone, the detective investigating the murder is making me think they are going to have an interesting hopefully at some point romantic relationship going forward.

The mystery was great, there were red herrings everywhere, and every time we got a new clue I was sure I knew who the killer was... Until a new piece of evidence came out and I had to rethink everything.

I can't wait to see whats next for this series, and Im definitely going to be trying the deep dish pizza recipe in the back.

This is the first in this authors new cozy series. Hand tossed pizza dough, tangy red sauce, gooey mozzarella, and Murder. What’s not to love about all of that? I will first and foremost say that I was hungry the entire time I read this book. Every chance I had to sit down and read I dug into this a little more and didn’t want it to finish. Just like when eating a pizza 😋

Delilah and her surrounding character friends and family are wonderful and just make the story deeper and makes me want to come back and hear more about the goings on in Geneva Bay. Murder happens and a new love interest, oops I mean detective comes along. Detective Capone (yes that Capone) struts into this story seamlessly and I am here for it.

Of course the number one the absolute best part in my opinion is the orange tabby that steals everyone’s hearts (and food) Butterball. I mean how could you not love a cuddly cat who loves to snack on marinated mozzarella balls???

I can not wait for the next in this series to come along so I can sit down with another slice and read to my Nelly is content. (#2 coming April 2023)

💫Thank you to NetGalley and St Martins Press for this arc in exchange for my honest review.

I received an advance copy via NetGalley.

<i>Six Feet Deep Dish</i> is a strong start for a fun cozy mystery series featuring Delilah O'Leary, a pizza chef opening a brand new restaurant in Geneva Bay, Wisconsin. The gear up to the grand opening is marred by a suspicious death--that of her elderly aunt's caregiver. Suspicion swirls around her aunt--the killing is done by her gun, and she's been weirdly addled of late--to other workers at the restaurant. The mystery has a very modern feel done in a cozy way. Current technology has a role, as do modern modes of crime, but everything is explained in easy-going form to make this approachable to mystery readers of all ages.

I wasn't too sure what to make of the first few chapters. Delilah is very much a type-A personality and when stressed, she is not at her nicest, but I soon came to know and appreciate her, and I loved the ensemble cast from her techie hipster fiancé to the hefty resident feline. Plus, it's a very smart mystery with a savvy cast and delightful twists and turns. Having read a few mysteries recently where the leads are more clumsy than clever, it was a joy to live vicariously through an amateur sleuth who was realistically competent. Oh yes, and there's a slight romantic subplot with great chemistry that is bound to bake into something more in future books.

A Good First book in a cozy mystery series. Not stunning, but good enough to following.
Delilah O’Leary can’t wait to open her new gourmet deep-dish pizzeria in Geneva Bay, Wisconsin. A dead body changes everything.
With a great vacation location, many interesting characters and a cat (of cause), I will definitely follow this one.

Six Feet Deep Dish is the first book in a new cozy mystery series by Mindy Quigley. Food cozies are relaxing and fun for me to read--this one checked all the cozy boxes and had me craving pizza!
Delilah has been a chef in some of the finest restaurants in Chicago. Now, she and her fiance have moved to the resort town of Geneva Bay, WI, to open Delilah's dream upscale pizza restaurant and to help care for her elderly Aunt Biz. Unfortunately, Delilah's fiance leaves her at their soft opening, a murder is committed, and Aunt Biz is found literally holding the gun. Delilah must help find the real murderer to save her aunt and her restaurant. And she will, with a bit of help from her friends!
This was a well-written and clever start to a new series! Delilah and company are witty and entertaining, with some laughs throughout the book. The action takes off immediately, and I found the pacing to be good throughout and the plot compelling. There's a large enough pool of suspects to keep you guessing, a few red herrings and a twist or two. I just loved the setting! A pizza place in what used to be a mob-fronted restaurant is intriguing. As the series continues, I imagine the author will have even more fun with this setting. And I will be along for the ride, as this is a series I plan to follow! Pizza recipes included! Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the opportunity to review this ARC. I enjoyed it!

This is a fun start to a new cozy series. I loved the setting and the cast of characters. It really has a community feel already, even in the first book. I’m excited to see where the next installment goes. The mystery itself was quite good - I didn’t know exactly where the book was going.

Plot: I really enjoyed the plot! The mystery was of course the main part of the book (this is a cozy mystery after all), but I also enjoyed reading the subplots going on (like her relationship with Sam, her friendships, among other things.). I thought the mystery was really well written, and while I did guess the culprit/motive, it did not lessen my enjoyment of the story overall. (I was actually pretty proud of myself for guessing right!)

Characters: The characters were what made this story for me! I thought Delilah was a great lead, and I loved her relationships with the other characters. From her aunt Biz, to her friends, to her fiancé, and to detective Capone, they were all well written characters, and I look forward to more books to get to know them all better! Plus, I can't forget Butterball, her cat, who was just as much a character in this book!

The Cover: I like it!

Overall: This a book that I loved reading, and I highly recommend to any cozy mystery fans out there! I look forward to reading more books about Delilah. And can I get her pizzas in real life, please? The spicy one she made (I can't remember the name of it) sounded so good!

I received an e-ARC from the publisher

This was a fun read! The main character is cute and likable and the other characters are just right - not too many and not superfluous. They round out the story nicely. The mystery part kept me guessing, the story is linear and it all moves at a lively pace. I would read Mindy Quigley again!

Book Review: Six Feet Deep Dish
By Mindy Quigley
Published August 23, 2022
St. Martin’s Press

This is the first book in a new cozy mystery series that is one of the best in the genre that I’ve read in a long time. because I tend to read a lot of books with dark content, I always enjoy a lighter read in between and that’s where cozy mysteries come in for me.

Delilah O’Leary is about to open her dream pizzeria in Geneva Bay Wisconsin with her partner and fiancé, Sam, who is bankrolling their new venture. On the day of their soft opening, however, Delilah and Sam have a big fight and he takes off leaving her to handle the event. Delilah is not one to back down from a challenge so she forges ahead and minus a few hiccups, the evening is a success and the customers love her food. near the end of the night she goes to check on her elderly Aunt Biz Who is attending the event with her caretaker, Jeremy, after seeing him wheel her aunt outside in her wheelchair. When she finally catches up with them she is horrified to find her aunt holding a gun and Jeremy lying dead on the ground! The police are called and an investigation in Sue’s but Delilah feels terrible and wants to make sure the real killer is found and brought to justice. she feels guilty that she was preoccupied with the opening and wasn’t paying more attention to her elderly aunt who taught her so much about cooking. with Sam MI, vendors looking for payment, and the murder, Delilah has a lot on her plate but she will stop at nothing to uncover the truth, find the murderer, and realize her dream of opening her own restaurant.

This was such a fresh story and I enjoyed every single page of it! The premise was interesting and the plot was organic and natural. What I liked was there were no forced situationns meeting all of the requirements of a cozy mystery. The story was perfectly paced and seamless. The characters were fantastic and will add so much to the future installments. Another thing I loved was the quick wit and sass that Delilah has. Her sense of humor had me laughing out loud and endeared her to me. The bottom line for me is this series has so much potential and is at the top of my list to keep up with in the future. this was my first book by Mindy Quigley and I feel like I’ve really been missing out. So if you enjoy cozy mysteries you definitely need to pick this one up. I promise, you won’t be sorry.

Many thanks to Mindy Quigley, St. Martin’s Press, and NetGalley for my digital copy in return for an honest and fair review.
#6feetdee

#netgalley #stmartinspress

Omg! I am a sucker for cozy mysteries and this one was no exception! Delilah is kinda a perfectionist when it comes to cooking, and right now her life is almost perfect! She moved back home and she is opening a gourmet pizzeria with her best friend forever. So things are really looking good for her right now, she is even engaged to a sweet man who is underwriting the new pizzeria! Then, the unimaginable happens. Her fiance dumps her and then goes into ghosting mode. Subsequently, she has a murder happen at her restaurant! Not only that her sweet aunt is found holding the murder weapon and cannot recall anything! So she must find out what happened because she wants to clear her aunt's name!
This cozy mystery gives you everything that a cozy mystery should! A nice setting usually in a hometown, great characters filled with witty and hilarious banter between them, murder, and of course all the different layers that help create the mystery! I definitely enjoyed this one! So this author is actually a first for me, however, it will definitely not be my last! I loved this and the author did such an amazing job! I loved that she included a plus-size MC because that was the cherry on the top for this book! If you love cozy mysteries and love a multilayer mystery then this should be your next read! Hint MOMs' kids are starting school if they haven't already and you might have a little bit more free time to pick up this cozy mystery! You will not be disappointed! Thank you Netgalley and St Martins Press for the extraordinary opportunity to read and review this one!

Mindy Quigley kicks off a new cozy mystery series set in Geneva Bay, Wisconsin with Six Feet Deep Dish. I’ll admit I wasn’t so sure about the protagonist when I read Delilah (Dee) O’Leary’s description of herself as a micromanaging chef. But, after the first chapter, I realized she was a softie at heart. Dee comes from a working class background in Chicago, lost her mother when she was only twelve, and her father just a year ago from cancer. And, of course, she had to make it in the restaurant business. Okay, she’s allowed to be a micromanager.

On the surface, everything looks great for the opening of her pizza restaurant. She’s now engaged to Sam Van Meter, a wealthy tech millionaire. They’re renovating a mansion in Geneva Bay, a place she always loved because her Great Aunt Biz lives there, the woman who inspired her to be a chef. And, Sam’s her business partner, providing the money for the restaurant. But, he’s easy going, and Dee is wound tight. That doesn’t work on the eve of the restaurant opening, and he packs up, leaving her with their shared cat, Butterball.

The soft opening goes great, despite a waiter who is never around, and Auntie Biz who seems a little out of it. By the time it’s almost over, Dee is intoxicated, angry, and in deep denial that she might have a broken engagement. But, she starts to sober up quickly when she finds a dead man outside, and Auntie Biz standing over him with a gun that she claims she owns.

In many ways, Six Feet Deep Dish is a typical cozy. But, Quigley shakes up the formula a little with the cast. Dee is a “queen-szed working-class girl with exaggerated facial features”. Yes, there is a hot cop, Detective Calvin Capone, great-grandson of Chicago’s mobster. But, Dee’s sous chef is gay. She hires a ex-con as her dishwasher. Butterball actually has an important role in the story, but he’s no more than a cat. And, there’s Auntie Biz with a gun in her purse.

You might start Six Feet Deep Dish because it’s the first in a series with a pizza restaurant background. The food will make you hungry, but the mystery itself, and the characters , will be enough to make you ask for seconds. More, please!

Thank you NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for providing me with an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. Six Feet Deep Dish is the first book in a new series. The summary was interesting and hinted towards a good cozy mystery. The storyline was good and solid and I definitely wanted to know who had committed the murder and why. As more was uncovered about the victim, the mystery took on more twists and turn to keep me reading. I was satisfied by the conclusion of the book. However, I had a hard time finding the characters likable. Delilah and Sonya grating on my nerves, and Auntie Biz and Detective Capone were not particularly interesting. I'm hoping that the next installment will be improved as far as characters are concerned.

Delilah O'Leary's new Chicago restaurant has a crime theme, playfully mocking the building's past connection to gangsters...and, as of the night of her soft open, it also has a fresh crime scene just outside. The food sounds fantastic. The plot is complex and interesting. At first, I felt like I'd come into the middle of the series instead of the first book because some of the relationships already have a lot of conflict, but the more I read the more that choice made sense. I found myself disagreeing with Delilah more than once, but I enjoyed reading the book and I'm curious to see where things go in future titles.
Make sure to read the recipes at the end -- they're written by the characters and a lot of fun!

Delilah O’Leary is opening a pizzeria in Geneva Bay, Wisconsin. She’s a hands on over-achiever. First the sign that’s delivered at the last minute is wrong, then a murder at her soft opening. Will her dream ever come true. Fortunately Dalilah has a few good friends and some perseverance and she’s determined to solve the murder and get her restaurant off to a better start. This is the first in a series and I think it’s off to a great start.

Cozy mysteries all have a couple things in common: amateur sleuth, small-town vibe (even when not in a small town), and a theme (cats, bookstores, restaurants, etc.) around which they are built. This one ticks off all the boxes.

Delilah is opening a new pizzeria in the town of Geneva Bay, WI. To do so, she relies solely on her rich fiancé to provide the money not just for her restaurant, the building, and the new house they’re building. But things aren’t so good for her when they break up and she has to figure out how to do things on her own—like save her elderly aunt from being accused of murder. Not easy when the murder weapon is held in her aunt’s hand. And pay her staff and get the restaurant off the ground when she has no money of her own.

I was pretty sure I knew who the perp was from the start, but not the why. That was nicely done. There were a lot of twists and turns in this story, all of which got straightened out in the end.

If I had to give any negative thoughts, it would be that Delilah relied too heavily on her ex to provide all her needs. She should have been a little more aware of her costs and coming up with solutions to her problems (though when it really counted, she did). In the end, this worked out as well with her learning a valuable lesson in finances.

Recommendation: Recommended for any cozy readers. And the recipes at the end are delicious additions as well.

Disclaimer: Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC. I received a final and/or advanced reader copy of this book with the hope that I will leave my unbiased opinion. I was not required to leave a review, positive or otherwise, and my opinions are just that… My Opinions. I am posting this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”

A fun read, good characters and an interesting plot. I was a bit put off by the ending, things were resolved but the last chapter did not encourage me to look for the next book, although I would like a follow up. It will be interesting to see if more is in store for Delilah and Son pizza.

Great start to a new series. A varied cast of characters, spanning all ages. A cat or two. Potential romance. Clever mystery with good clues, yet still not revealing all until the end. Thanks to the publisher for providing a copy via NetGalley. My review is voluntary.

Six Feet Deep Dish by Mindy Quigley is out August 23rd! I LOVED this cozy mystery and I will 100% be reading more into the series!

Delilah is opening her dream pizza shop with her fiancé in a small lakeside town. The wannabe zen fiancé flakes after a confrontation and the entire future of the restaurant is not looking promising. Then, to top it off, someone is found murdered just outside the pizza shop during its grand opening party and Delilah's aunt is holding the smoking gun. I just loved being along the ride for this mystery! I had so much fun looking into all of the suspects and I never guessed who pulled the trigger. Can't wait to read more in this series in the future!

Thank you Netgalley and St. Martin's Press for my e-arc!

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an advanced copy of this book.

I am in love. I might be a bit biased because I'm from Wisconsin and have spent a fair amount of time in and around Lake Geneva myself, but this story made me so happy. It's got lake views, a chonky cat, and food? I'm there.

Delilah is a chef from Chicago who moves to Geneva Bay, Wisconsin to care for her Aunt Biz and to open a deep-dish pizza restaurant with her best friend Sonya and her fiance, Sam. Everything is going reasonably well when Aunt Biz's caretaker is murdered at the soft opening.

When detective Capone swoops in to investigate, Delilah decides he's not moving fast enough and puts on a sleuthing hat of her own (with an assist from her cat, Butterball).

Filled with loveable, funny, and unique characters this cozy mystery put a smile on my face and was a perfect escape. I cannot wait to read the rest of the series!

Pizza, mystery, romance, what more could you ask for? Six Feet Deep Dish is set in a fictional location in a Wisconsin resort area. The author's description will have you visualizing the setting. Delilah is an entrepreneur, opening her own restaurant. The cast of characters is broad and keeps your interest. Toss in a murder, a fiance, a handsome detective, and you can just imagine the plot twists and turns. Ms. Quigley also makes a play on famous Chicago names.
While I did receive an advance copy to review, all opinions are my own. Read this book now - you won't be disappointed!

Six Feet Deep Dish by Mindy Quigley 4 stars

First in a new series, we are introduced to Delilah O’Leary, chef extraordinaire and partner in a new pizzeria in Geneva Bay, Wisconsin. Her life is hectic and she is getting ready to open a new restaurant co-owned with her fiancé Sam. However, a mishap with the sign causes a breakup with Sam and now she is in trouble. But never say die - Delilah decides to do a “soft opening” for friends and vendors. Unfortunately, Jeremy, her Aunt’s caretaker winds up dead, shot with a gun owned by her Aunt. The authorities in the person of Detective Calvin Capone is investigating the crime. After some nosing around, Delilah finds out Jeremy was not the selfless person he portrayed. Can Delilah and company dig deeper into Jeremy’s past in order to keep Aunt Biz out of the slammer?

Delilah O’Leary, chef, micromanager, adoring niece and co-mom to Butterball, a spoiled tabby. The first few chapters I didn’t like her very much, but my sentiments changed throughout the book. The mystery was great, the supporting characters had distinct personalities and I sense a budding relationship with Detective Capone. But the description of the food, especially the pizza was top notch. I look forward to the next book in this series.

Thank you Netgalley and St. Martin’s Press for this ARC.

This is a start to yet another promising, food-related cozy mystery series. (To be clear, I love food-related books. Keep 'em coming, authors and publishers.) As someone who grew up in the Chicago area and frequented Lake Geneva pretty regularly, I appreciated the local references and mannerisms Mindy Quigley includes in the book. Delilah is a strong, pretty likeable character, but every good cozy mystery needs strong side characters--and this certainly delivers in the folks working at Delilah's restaurant (former con Rabbit, recently scandalized Sonya, shy but super smart Melody, and the ever-charming Daniel) as well as Biz, Delilah's eighty-year-old aunt who is blunt, firm, and knows the ins and outs of finance.

Another aspect I liked about this cozy mystery is that there's less emotional angst because there's a fundamental lack of a love triangle. The romantic subplot with Sam is resolved pretty efficiently. (I didn't like the guy or his hobbies, but Delilah also comes off pretty judgmental for someone who loves him and accepted his proposal.) I also can't wait to see what happens with Capone. (Yes, he's related to THAT Capone.)

I really enjoyed the start of this new series! When characters grab my attention as quickly as these key characters did, in my book that's a winner of a cozy mystery. Biz and Delilah were a little out of the ordinary type cozy characters since Biz was definitely not your typical cute, squishy-huggy great aunt and Dee (as Delilah was called) was a real force to be reckoned with but still had her soft side moments. I could definitely tell she and Aunt Biz were super close.

The ladies were both strong yet didn't mind (too much anyway) having people look after them when needed. Although Dee could get on my nerves a little bit being such a control freak, lol. I'm not sure I could work for her, but her team sure seemed happy, so that's the main thing. I mean, I thought I was bad at giving up control over certain things, but that lady's got me beat haha! Some of the stuff she wanted to say to people absolutely cracked me up because it's just what I would've been thinking of saying but not saying, particularly when it came to teen employee Carson!

Wow what a showdown! I honestly had the actual perp in mind but not for the reasons they ended up being the killer. It almost made me feel sad for the perp, but that's all I'm gonna say about it without going and spoiling things. Kind of a case where the person killed was a pretty lowdown scoundrel and some people figured the person deserved it. I enjoyed the ending and hope we find Delilah and Cal becoming better friends in the next book!

I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC of this book provided by St. Martin's Paperbacks via NetGalley, and my opinions are my own.

Delilah O’Leary can’t wait to open her gourmet deep-dish pizzeria in Geneva Bay, Wisconsin, a resort town with a long history as a mobsters’ hideaway, millionaires’ playground, and vacation mecca. Just before opening night, her plans hit the skids when her fiancé dumps her and leaves her with a very large memento from their relationship, Butterball, their spoiled, plus-sized tabby cat. Delilah’s trouble deepens when she discovers a dead body and finds her elderly aunt holding the murder weapon. Local police detective Calvin Capone, great grandson of the legendary gangster, opens an investigation, threatening to sink Delilah’s pizza dreams. Will she find the real killer before her dreams are spoiled.
This was an interesting cozy mystery filled with zany characters and a twisty plot. I’m unsure how I feel about Delilah. She’s very intelligent, yet she seems like a little bully, and stubborn. She doesn’t admit she’s wrong to her own detriment sometimes. The side characters in this story were wacky and very likeable. The tabby cat was a favorite of mine. The plot was very twisty and engrossing, I was glued from the first page to the last. Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for this advanced reader’s copy. This review is my unbiased opinion.

Loved this debut cozy mystery. Delilah has moved to a smaller lake town in Michigan to open her dream elevated pizza restaurant. She gets into a fight with her fiancé (who is bank rolling her whole endeavor) right before the restaurant's soft opening. Not only is Delilah dealing with new business stress and love life stress, but her Aunt Biz 's caretaker is shot dead and she is found with the murder weapon. Delilah decides to do some sleuthing to clear her Aunt's name and be able to open her restaurant before it goes under. The characters in the book are delightful. There is a cat named Butterball! And I enjoyed the mystery. I will definitely pick up the next book in the series.

In short: Delilah is opening her new gourmet deep-dish pizzeria in Geneva Bay, Wisconsin—a charming resort town with a long history as a mobsters’ hideaway, millionaires’ playground, and vacation mecca. Just before opening night her fiancé dumps her & she discovers a dead body with her elderly aunt holding the murder weapon.

What I liked:
🍕The setting! From the town to the restaurant & amazing food descriptions.
🍕Delilah - she is loyal, smart, independent and quite the go getter.
🍕Detective Capone. He brought balance and a lot of family history to the book. I can’t wait to see if something more develops between him & Delilah.
🐈Butterball the cat.
🍕Lots of red herrings and an end I didn’t see coming.

Final thoughts: I loved this book and it’s an excellent start to a new series!

Thank you NetGalley for early access to this title in exchange for an honest review.
Six Feet Deep Dish is the first in a new cozy mystery series, debuting Delilah as our sleuthing protagonist. On the opening night of Delilah’s own deep dish pizza restaurant in Geneva Bay, Wisconsin a dead body is found at her elderly aunt’s feet with Aunt Biz holding the murder weapon. Delilah rushes to discover who the real killer is to not only clear her aunt’s name but also give her new restaurant a fighting chance.
I enjoyed this book. Both the main and secondary characters filled out the setting with a nice variety of personalities. The plot had several solid twists that keep me guessing at whodunit, and while the final reveal was not my favorite moments, I was surprised at the who and why. My favorite part was Butterball, Delilah’s overweight cat who has an even bigger personality. I look forward to continuing with this cozy series and see where the developing relationship go.

Six Feet Deep Dish by Mindy Quigley

A Deep Dish Mystery number 1 in the series. I thought Mindy did a great job introducing us to the characters in this cozy mystery. The main character is Delilah O'Leary who is opening up her first pizza restaurant with the help of her wealth boyfriend Sam. Things are looking good for Delilah at first she buys a place that use to be owned by some shady characters by the lake. Sam orders a sign for the pizza restaurant and that is where things go wrong. The sign for the restaurant is all wrong this gets Delilah in a tailspin and she fights with Sam and they break-up on the night of her soft opening of her restaurant. Delilah faced with this goes forward and does the soft opening during the opening her aunt Biz's caretaker is murdered.

So many suspects but the scary part is Delilah's Aunt Biz is the one who owns the gun that killed the caretaker. Sam disappears after the fight and the police begin to investigate. Lo and behold a relative of Al Capone is the officer that arrives to handle the case to find the murder. Detective Calvin Capone is on the case to figure out who murdered the caretaker.

The race is on so much is going on the police are posted outside Delilah's home and restaurant are her and aunt Biz in danger? Will Capone figure out this murder?

If you like quick read cozy mysteries this one will be for you. I enjoyed it a lot it was engaging fun and the mystery was solved by the end. It wasn't as predictable as you think it would be. The author also added the recipes at the end of the book to make the pizza dough and pizza's as well as some other recipes.

I recommend this book to mystery lovers and lovers of cozies you will not be disappointed. I cannot wait for the next installment of this series. Mindy Quigley hit this one out of the park.

Thank you to Netgalley and St. Martin's Press for a free copy of this book for an honest review. All opinions expressed are my own.

This is the first in a new series. And a new author for me as well. I was entertained and kept guessing on how things would turn out. There are twists and turns, to keep you on the edge of your seat. Overall very good read, I can’t wait to see what comes next for Dee and her crew.

It’s the soft opening for her gourmet pizza restaurant. It should have been one of the best nights of Delilah O’Leary’s life. Unfortunately before the night is over she’ll have more to worry about than perfecting her sauce and a disagreement with her fiancé because when a shot rings out her elderly aunt’s caretaker is found dead and her aunt is discovered holding the gun. With a cloud of murder hanging over the restaurant and the very real possibility of needing to close down before ever really getting a chance to open, she decides that perhaps she should help out on the investigation. After all can she really trust Detective Capone (and yes he’s related to the infamous Al Capone) to solve the crime and clear her aunt?

Even more than the actual mystery, I always feel the cast of characters are what make or break a cozy mystery. I’m more than happy to say that not only does Six Feet Deep Dish feature a fun mystery but also a great cast of characters, including Butterball Delilah’s ever hungry cat. I look forward to seeing where the series goes from here. Thanks so much to St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for the chance to read and review an eARC of Six Feet Deep Dish.

First time reading anything by Mindy Quigley and this was a great story! this is not a cozy mystery, it's a full-length mystery. I expected it to be short, but there was a lot of build up and setting the scene before the mystery starts. Great interactions between characters and I'm hoping that at some point Delilah and Calvin get together - they sound like the perfect couple. I had no idea who the killer was, which was great since I got to solve it along with Delilah. All-in-all great story and can't wait until the next book in the series.

This review is based on an ARC from NetGalley, courtesy of the publisher. All opinions are my own.

Six Feet Deep Dish (out yesterday) is the first book in a new cozy mystery series. Set just a bit north of Chicago in a lakeside resort town in Wisconsin where Delilah, the MC, is about to open a deep dish pizza place until a murder on opening night derails everything.

A great start to a new series - there is an interesting sleuth, a great cast of supporting characters, a fun setting, all the pizza and a cat. The mystery is well plotted, there are suspects galore and red herrings, which kept me guessing throughout the story and there is a hint of romance with Detective Capone (of course he is related 😉), the grandson of legendary gangster.
Some of my favorite cozy series are food adjacent and in this one Delilah’s process for developing new recipes is mouthwatering. I’ll be waiting for the next book !

Cozy mysteries are like food for the soul for me.  When they're food themed, it's even better.  While I'd never make it as a detective, I'm actually a pretty decent cook.  Throw in a Chicago transplant and some good old deep dish pizza and I was sold.  Oh, and did I forget to mention the tubby kitty named Butterball?  Well, his furry self only added to the allure.

Delilah is very much a Type A personality, which drove me crazy for the first couple of chapters.  Once Sam walks out, she starts listening to her friends and loosens her grip on the reins a bit, making her much more likable.  She still has that need to control, but it's softened into a more manageable quirk.  This is when her real personality starts to shine.  The way she interacts with Biz and Butterball show her true self.

I thought I was going to like Sam, but his conflict avoidance bordered on pathological.  I hate conflict myself, but I face up to it when necessary.  Not Sam though.  It's surprising that they managed to make it three years before imploding.  That said, he does seem like a nice guy and I hope that he pops up in future novels.

Calvin Capone has to be my favorite cozy detective to date.  He was handsome (of course), descended from a notorious mobster (fitting), and absolutely adorable around both Butterball and his granddaughter.  He won me over the first time he interacted with Delilah's cat, honestly.  But he also had more patience for Delilah than most cozy detectives have.  He doesn't let her get away with much, but he's not on her case 24/7 either.

The group that Delilah has working with her at Delilah & Son are a great bunch.  Her best friend, Sonya, is both a hot mess at times and the most loyal friend ever.  Rabbit is the one I'm most interested in seeing in the next book.  He has so much potential for growth and fun.

Overall, Six Feet Deep Dish had one of the best mysteries for a first in series novel.  I honestly had no idea who was responsible for the murder, although I had several suspects.  The actual reveal of the murderer and the depth of the suspicion around the dead body was a surprise.  I'm greatly looking forward to the next in this series, and hopefully many more in the future.

A terrific start to a new cozy mystery series! Delilah is opening a new pizza restaurant in a lake resort town in Wisconsin. Since it’s not far from Chicago, the specialty is deep dish pizza. Delilah has loved this lake community since she was young. Her great-aunt Elizabeth (“Biz”) lives there and has a live-in caretaker named Jeremy.

Delilah and her fiancé Sam have really different personalities: Delilah is driven and Sam is super-laid-back, so you can imagine the conflicts they have. On the night of the restaurant’s soft opening, Sam leaves in a huff after a big argument. That same night, Auntie Biz’s caretaker is found shot to death and Auntie Biz is holding the gun!

I loved the people who work in the restaurant, especially her best friend Sonya and newcomer Rabbit. I hope further books in the series will continue to highlight them, along with Daniel and Melody. And we definitely want to see more of Detective Capone! As often in cozy mysteries, pets play a large role and this one features Butterball, an aptly named cat.

Delilah’s driven personality could be grating, but it often made me smile. There’s a scene in the hospital where she tries to relax and breathe, trying to remember the calming, centering techniques she was taught with Sam on a yoga retreat. I completely related to this: “the first thing that came to mind was my feeling of supreme antsiness at the memory of having to sit still in those stupid workshops and do nothing for hours. Hours that could’ve been spent accomplishing something.” Ha!

There are several recipes at the end, written in a chatty way, which fits the book.

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for the opportunity to read an advance readers copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

I loved this book. This book grabbed me and kept me reading till the end and I had to finish it in one sitting. I could not put it down. It moves along at a great pace making for an easy and relaxing read. The characters are awesome and you find yourself wanting to be there with them no matter what happens. By the end of the book you are loving them. This book is a must read, there is no doubt about it.

I will DEFINITELY read any more books in this series. I quickly fell in love with the quirky characters, the fun insight, and the twists and turns of "Six Feet Deep Dish." Cozy mysteries can easily become bland, but I thought this one was full of fun and spice. Such a great, unexpected novel.

Dee O’Leary moved to the one place that was a constant for her and her sister, Geneva Bay Wisconsin. She and her fiancé, Sam, moved up with their cat, Butterball to live Dee’s dream of opening her own restaurant. The nigh of her soft opening, not only does her fiancé leave her, one of her guests is murdered at the event. With Auntie Biz left holding the smoking gun, it seems that Geneva Bay isn’t all that Dee remembered.

To save Aunt Biz from prison and her restaurant and life from ruin, Dee realizes she must solve the case to keep everything from crashing down around her. With a murderer on the loose and several suspects that are prime for the picking, Dee has to avoid Detective Capone from finding our she’s sleuthing, all while avoiding a killer.

What a great start to a new cozy series. I love the use of O’Leary and Capone as the main character and one of the supporting characters. The irony wasn’t wasted on me with them both being from Chicago and it’s just one of the little bits of humor that are sprinkled throughout the book. With a plus size cat, Butterball, who sheds like nothing anyone has ever seen, you’re going to fall in love with him too. Check out the recipes as the end…my hubby can’t wait for me to make him a deep dish pie after reading the recipes!

I enjoyed this story very much. It is a character driven murder mystery which is done very well. Delilah O'Leary is a chef who has accomplished her dream on the eve of opening her gourmet pizzeria, just before everything goes downhill. A murder investigation is underway and Detective Calvin Capone is investigating her elderly aunt!
I read a lot of mystery books and love figuring out 'who dun it' but this one got me and it made perfect sense. I love how the author worked the plot with this.
This is the start of a new series and I am looking forward to reading more. I love that the author had characters give recipes at the end of the book.
I received this book as an advanced reader's copy from the publisher and NetGalley. This is my own unsolicited opinion.

Brought to you by OBS Reviewer Jeanie

I thoroughly enjoyed this funny, exciting, suspenseful opening to the Deep Dish Mysteries series! It has many things I appreciate in cozy mysteries: engaging, likable characters, a complex mystery, cats, pizza, and summer in a Midwest lakeside town. It has recipes, including Chicago-style deep dish pizza.

Delilah had paid her dues as a chef, having worked with the best, most temperamental, and most eccentric talent in the fine dining industry. She recently moved from Chicago to Geneva Bay, Wisconsin with her fiancé, Sam. She wanted to be near her beloved great-aunt Biz and keep eyes on her live-in help as her health declined. Sam had earned a ridiculous sum of money for an app he created in college, so he offered to pay for their move and invest in a restaurant for Delilah. Living in a town she loves and opening her own upscale Chicago-style deep dish pizza restaurant is a dream come true. They named it Sam and Delilah’s Deep Dish Pizza, and her Type A+ personality made her check every detail, except the tasks Sam wanted to handle.

One of those things was getting the new sign installed on time. When the sign arrived saying Deep Dutch pizza…Sam did what Sam did best. Delilah’s perfectionism and upset at the situation messed up his serenity, so he packed his bags and left. The Prohibition-era Queen Anne mansion he purchased and was remodeling wasn’t ready to move into yet, and he didn’t tell her where he was going. She and her staff were on their own for that evening’s soft opening.

The evening’s opening began very well. Auntie Biz’s caregiver, Jeremy, dropped her off in her wheelchair and disappeared. When Jeremy reappeared, Delilah asked him to take Biz out for some fresh air. Only minutes later, Jeremy lay dead, with Biz leaning over him. In her hand was the handgun she kept in her purse, but she had passed out before Jeremy was shot, and had no idea what happened. The Grand Opening, scheduled for the following night, was not going to happen until the crime scene was cleared. Biz could be arrested for a murder she was incapable of committing, and if Sam didn’t return to pay the vendors and make payroll for the new staff, they might never open.

The author has given us a wonderful cast of characters who were described with care. Delilah is a breath of fresh air. She is like many of us, with positive traits, flaws, and scars. At times, being privy to her thoughts was like listening in on my own internal dialog. Once her shock and anger wore off, Delilah got into action, refusing to play victim. She listened to suggestions from best friend Sonya and took stock of her own shortcomings while trying to find the killer. Auntie Biz was a feisty little thing! After years of teaching high school and volunteer teaching at a nearby prison, she cared enough about others’ future to tell them what they needed to hear. It was hard for Delilah to see her mental decline.

Delilah had not known about Sam’s huge bank account until they dated for months. There wasn’t enough money to keep someone unreliable around. When the going got tough, he went to yoga retreats. Delilah tried to have a good, solid staff, and with one exception, was successful. One wild card, the very handsome Detective Calvin Capone of the famous Capone family, was intelligent, listened to Delilah’s ideas, and was determined to solve the case. I was rooting for him from the first scene he appeared in. I love Butterball, the overweight orange tabby, Sam’s cat who began to adore Delilah.

Plot twists kept throwing in surprises while adding and subtracting suspects. Delilah wanted the killer caught, knowing her auntie didn’t do it. When Biz was hospitalized in serious condition, she wanted whoever was responsible for that caught, also. She, Sonya, and their staff couldn’t re-open yet, so what did they have to lose? Detective Capone didn’t want Delilah involved with the investigation, but it wasn’t his auntie on the suspect – or hit – list. This is such a good mystery that kept me guessing throughout, yet I didn’t want to see it end! I was fully satisfied with the resolutions and conclusion, and am eager to read the next in series. I highly recommend this cozy mystery!

Six Feet Deep Dish
Deep Dish Mysteries, Book #1
Mindy Quigley
5 Stars

Synopsis:

Delilah’s trouble deepens when she discovers a dead body and finds her elderly aunt holding the murder weapon. Handsome local police detective Calvin Capone, great grandson of the legendary gangster, opens an investigation, threatening to sink Delilah’s pie-in-the-sky ambitions before they can even get off the ground. To save her aunt and get her pizza place generating some dough, Delilah must deliver the real killer. (Amazon)

Review:

The characters are well rounded and well developed. We meet Delilah, Sonya, Daniel, Melody, Rabbit, Aunt Biz and Butterball. I really liked all of them and they make a tight group of characters and I enjoyed them all. Delilah has the soft opening planned for her pizzeria , but it does not go as planned. For one thing, before the night is over, she breaks it off with her fiance. And to make matters worse, Delilah’s aunt’s caregiver is killed with her aunt’s gun. Her aunt and Delilah are considered persons of interest. With the help of her friends, she will have to figure out who the culprit is.

The author is very talented in her descriptive writing and these descriptions pulled me into the story from the very beginning. The writing style flows smoothly and the book is an easy read. The mystery was well plotted and I was surprised at who the culprit was, which is how I like my mysteries.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who likes a well crafted cozy mystery. I really enjoyed this book and I am looking forward to the next one when it is released.

I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book provided by the publisher, St. Martin’s Press, and NetGalley, which I greatly appreciate.

I like new mysteries set in Wisconsin I jumped at this mystery. It started off slow but then picked up.

Delilah O’Leary is about to open her new gourmet deep-dish pizzeria in Geneva Bay, Wisconsin. Engaged to a Sam who is financing her, Just before opening night, though, Delilah’s plans fall through when she and her fiancé fight and he leaves her which puts her finances on the skids. Things get worst when she discovers a dead body and finds her elderly aunt holding the murder weapon. Handsome local police detective Calvin Capone, great grandson of the legendary gangster, opens an investigation, threatening to sink Delilah’s pizza opening plans before they can even get off the ground. To save her aunt and get her pizza place generating some dough, Delilah looks for the real killer.

As I said the murder mystery also got off to a slow start, but it was pretty interesting and kept me on my toes once it got going. I was also thankful that Detective Capone wasn’t a decent detective and was actually doing a good job of trying to solve the mystery but just happened to be a little slower than Delilah half of the time.

Once the story got going, I found it to be a good entertaining mystery, and I can’t wait for the next book. Hopefully Capone will show up as a regular love interest.

I enjoyed this book, and thought it was nicely done for the first book in a series. The characters were lovable and relatable. The plot moved along at a good pace.

One of the better new cozy series I have started in a long time. This book made me want pizza something awful though so I had to order some while reading.

Delilah O'Leary has moved to the small town of Geneva Bay, WI to open a deep dish pizzeria. She moved because the small town has fond memories for her and to be closer to elderly aunt Biz, whose memory seems to be declining rapidly. On the night of her soft opening, Biz's caregiver is murdered and Biz is left holding the murder weapon, which she happens to own. As Delilah worries about her restaurant's future, she decides she needs to solve the murder so she can stay in business and keep her aunt out of jail. Except it turns out the caregiver has a lot of enemies and the suspect list just keeps growing.

There are a lot of laugh out loud parts of this book. The author's descriptors are clever and I appreciated her writing style. Deliliah and Sonya are definitely people I would want to be friends with and that is how I would define a good story. I hope for more in this delicious new series

I am excited to have found a new series! The book has my two loves: cats and pizza. While I enjoyed the mystery, I most enjoyed hearing about the chef and amateur sleuth, Delilah, open a restaurant. The romantic portion is also a new approach, which I appreciate. I look forward to buying the second book!