Cover Image: Scions

Scions

As someone who loved the original series, this was an amazing read. Truly had a great time with this one.
I’m an avid reader of Josephine Angelini. And my favorite part of her writing is ALWAYS her characters. The depth, the development and the ability for the reader to connect to each and every one. And this is regardless on if you even like the character or not.

Scions is perfect for both new readers of the Starcrossed series and those of us that have loved the original trilogy for years. Scions is a prequel novel so there is no need to have read the original series. But I can guarantee you’ll want to pick them up after you finish Scions. For fans of the original trilogy, we get a lot of easter eggs, answered questions AND more questions... obviously.

This book is fun, fast paced and intrigues the reader from the very beginning. So pick up the book and immerse yourself into this world. Its beautiful and has its own artistic feel that any imaginative reader will adore.
I loved everything about this book!

The forbidden love and family feuds are very Shakespearean like.

I am greatly looking forward to reading the next instalment of this series!
Back when I first read this series all those years ago, I wished that it had more books, and finally my wish was granted. We got not only one, but two new books!!!

This one follows Helen's mother Daphne and her love story with Ajax, so it's sort of a prequel to the original trilogy.

You can read it before or after the main series. If you choose to read it before you'd have no trouble getting into the world because everything is explained well and the mythology is compact.

But I'd still recommend you read it after, because some things happen in Scions that also happen in Starcrossed, so if you read the former first you won't be as surprised when you read the latter.

Also, I think this book is even better when you already know most of the characters and have an existing attachment to them, but feel free to do whatever you feel is right for you.

I'm really glad to see that Josephine Angelini hasn't lost her touch when it comes to this series, and that this book feels natural. It's as if she started writing it immediately after finishing Goddess. Perhaps she did?

The writing style was so beautiful at times that it made me cry (in combination with my love of the characters). There was this description of the light reflecting off of Daphne that really got me. Seems silly when I say it, but you'll know it when you get to it.

Scions is darker than the other books, due to the themes present, so please do check the trigger warnings, in case you need them. I actually wasn't expecting it to be so dark? I knew Daphne had a hard life but all those things with her father...

And the way that it ended is making me hope we'll get a sequel to the prequel? Because there are still some unanswered questions. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED NEXT. Even though I know what happened next-next BUT YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

I enjoyed this book so much, and I absolutely cannot wait for the next one. KEEP 'EM COMING MRS ANGELINI UNTIL I'M OLD AND GRAY. OKAY? OKAY.

*Huge thank you to the publishers and NetGalley for providing me with an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review*
I loved the Starcrossed books as a teen, so this was an excellent revisit to the world!
I think it'll be a great starting point for people who haven't read the trilogy. I liked the characters, they didn't have as much as an emotional hit as Helen did in the original series but still well written and had their own personalities. And the plot was enjoyable.
Overall an enjoyable read but it didn't have the same emotional hit as Starcrossed for me
This book was okay not really my style of reading however I still enjoyed it and liked the writing style
I have not read any titles in the Starcrossed series by Josephine Angelini but plan to rectify that.

It did take me a little while to get hooked when reading Scions, but I soon appreciated the plot line with all the integrations of the familiar Greek gods and goddesses woven into the mix. There is good character development and the plot moves at a reasonable pace for the storyline. I enjoyed the budding romance between Daphne and Ajax as well.

Definitely a book to recommend to young adult readers or even adults (like me) that appreciate good storytelling.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this novel. I encourage you to check this one out! Really solid read.
Gahh, what a great book! I ended up binging this after getting out of a reading slump and it was amazing. I definitely missed Josephine Angelini and it was such a pleasure to revisit her Starcrossed world. It has everything you'd want in a Greek mythology retelling, withforbidden romance, intense plot, and just spellbinding writing. I was so happy to be reunited with some of the characters from Starcrossed and can't wait to see what else Josephone Angelini has in store for this series!!!
The Starcrossed Trilogy was one of my favourite series when I was a teenager, which is why I was excited about the news that more books will be released. I must admit I don’t remember a lot about the plot of the trilogy, other than it’s Greek Mythology with star-crossed lovers, family feuds, and mysteries to be solved – and that I loved it a lot, which made me request Scions because of nostalgia. It is a prequel to the Starcrossed trilogy, but you don’t need to have read it before going into Scions. It will, of course, add to the experience if you do. I liked the book, and the story it was telling, though it was repetitive at times, and the writing felt a bit “young” – but I’m also ten years older now.

Scions is set in New York City, in 1993 (be aware of 90s misogyny!). The main characters, Daphne and Ajax, played a role in the trilogy, and this is their origin story. Getting to know teenage Daphne and Ajax was interesting, both beautiful and bittersweet; to see how history repeats itself over and over: the four Houses (ancestors: Zeus, Apollo, Poseidon, Aphrodite) are enemies, and if they meet, the Furies will make them fight and kill each other. The Furies and also the Fates are basically using them to achieve their own goals, all relating back to the Greek Gods, and Helen and Paris from Greek Mythology. Daphne’s House is thought to be extinct, which is why she has to stay hidden from the other Houses to make sure this stays that way. This seems easy in a huge city like New York, where every House has their own part of the city to call their own, but her appearance, more specifically her face (she has the Face of Helen of Troy), attracts the attention of every man wherever she goes. This causes a lot of problems, especially at home with her father, and in a high school full of teenage boys. Daphne’s struggles were well written, and I’m horrified by what she had to go through day in, day out due to her having the Face. The little easter eggs were also nice, and I’m now looking forward even more to reading Timeless once it’s released.
"Tell me your favorite colour Daphne, and I'll paint the sky with it" - Scions, Josephine Angelini.

"Scions" is part of the long-awaited sequel to Josephine Angelini's Starcrossed series and tells the story of Daphne and Ajax.

I would recommend reading the Starcrossed series (Helen and Luca´s story) first.
When I saw that there would actually be more books in the Starcrossed series, I was so happy! What will Daphne's story be like? That's a question I've asked myself constantly. She wasn't exactly a sympathetic character in Helen and Luca's story. But one with a tragic love story that everyone wants to read. So can Daphne's story convince me?

Daphne hates her looks or better said she hates the curse that weighs on her much more. She has the face. Men can't resist her and women hate her. Daphne is actually a very lovely and kind 17-year-old girl. And to be honest, I can't put this in with the Daphne from Starcrossed.
I can finally understand why everyone loved Ajax and why he is nicknamed "The loveable". Ajax is so so adorable. He loves his family, always does the right thing and is simply someone you have to take to your heart. Also, is super poetic and leaves Daphne messages that are like poems. So he's not just an artist.

The more I delved into the story of the two, the more I realized that it's just so different. Maybe because they are both so young? Unfortunately, I didn't really like the plot 100% this time. The story dragged at some points because it was developing so slowly and in this story, Josephine failed to play with the suspense this time. Still, I liked the story! I really liked the scenes with Ajax and Daphne. Ajax is a real heartbreaker and I really hope there's more to come about these two because for me the story isn't finished yet.

"Scions" gets 3,5 out of 5 stars from me.

Thank you to the author and NetGalley for providing me with ARC.
I haven't read the original Starcrossed trilogy this book is a prequel to, but I was able to easily understand everything going on with the Houses and demigods. I'll admit this one was hard to get through. There were cringe worthy scenes and there should have been some trigger warnings at the beginning. I don't want to spoil anything for those who want to read it, I'll just say it wasn't for me.
11 years after the original trilogy was published, Scions takes us back to Helen’s mother Daphne’s childhood and her own Starcrossed lovers situation which made the Delos’ despise her so much.

Daphne lives a sheltered life as one of only three remaining descendants of Aphrodite; who everybody assumes is dead. Moving to New York she makes her first ever friend and meets Ajax who she is cursed to not be able to be close to, yet falls in love with.

The whole series is based on characters from the Trojan war being reborn generation after generation as descendants of the Greek Gods. They are all chunky books at 400+ pages but I must say this was the most enjoyable of the four.
This was a wonderful prequel of this series that I have loved since I picked up Starcrossed.  I can not wait to see where this all goes. I hope to see more of the characters we have fallen for in this series and even more as the books go on.
Thank you Netgalley and Ms. Angelini for the ARC copy. This is my first Starcrossed novel so I have no idea what it is about when I started. I liked the chemistry between Daphne and Ajax. Their chemistry was undeniable and electrifying. I loved reading about them. However. that's the one thing I liked but find other story plots weird and not that well though of. I don't know if I need to read the other books to appreciate it more but judging from the summaries the characters are different. I'll try to read the other novel and maybe might appreciate it more.
Absolutely yes! I really enjoyed reading this novel. The characters were fun, it held my interest, and provided an escape from reality. I would definitely recommend!
Thank you NetGalley for the chance to read and review this book.

While I'm normally a huge fan of anything greek mythology inspired, this particular approach did not appeal to me. I just didn't like the characters, even if the concept was initially interesting; although at some point the whole no one can resist thing becomes a bit too much.

I can see that there will be a lot of people who like this; it's just a matter of personal preference. Ultimately, I decided to not finish the whole book.
I received my copy of Scions as an ARC, and I also bought my own copy as well. This book was phenomenal. I read the Starcrossed trilogy when I was 11-14 and loved it but I always felt like I couldn’t make up my mind about Daphne. Sometimes I liked her and other times I just could not figure out why she made the decisions she did. This book changed that for me. I understand why she made the choices she did with Helen and I now love her as a character more than I ever have before. Her story was one of many I was curious about and seeing the origins of so many of the characters from the trilogy was everything I’d hoped it would be. I highly recommend this book even if you haven’t read the Starcrossed trilogy because Daphne (and Ajax’s) story is one worth reading about. I laughed, I cried, I screamed-I honestly can’t recommend it enough.
Ten years ago, I read a series called Starcrossed. It was a retelling of Greek Mythology in Shadowhunters style and until these days is my favorite Greek inspired series (sorry Percy!). So, I can’t explain to you how happy and excited I was when the author announced a prequel and another trilogy in this world. 4 new books?? Are you kidding me?! Of course I had to put my hands in an ARC of it. And I did it, starting with Scions, the prequel.

This book brought me so much nostalgia, it was like coming back to a place where you were happy once. I loved this world, I loved how the myths are used, I loved the concept of the families and the Houses, I loved the tragic atmosphere we live in these pages. That, the writing, the worldbuilding, were there, were exactly how I remembered it. But the complex plot? I didn’t see it. And that ruined it for me because I knew Josephine was capable of more than that.

The plot was fast paced and full of action, the romance was not bad but all was too plain and simple. The author didn’t used the rivalries, the starcrossed and tragical lovers thing, the fateful tragical destiny in the full potential I know she is capable of. And was sad because the characters are lovable, I loved to see this generation in a younger version. Even Daphne that I hate, I could see her human fragile sweet side. Even if the romance was too rushed. And the Easter eggs! That was the best part actually.

So I will forget this book and I still will read Timeless because is with the Starcrossed’s characters and I have faith that it was to be better. Please, read Starcrossed anyway because is really worth it 💜

* Thanks to @netgalley UK for providing me an arc of this book in exchange of an honest review
Very interesting story. I really like it, considering I haven’t read the previous book, but this book made me want to read the first books and then come back to this one. I recommend it!