Cover Image: The One That Got Away

The One That Got Away

This book followed the storyline of Clara and Benjamin. It jumps around timelines, where it starts when they meet while they are at university, the present day, and then somewhere in the middle. You get a full view of their lives and their relationship, although there certainly are some holes and questions regarding their lack of communication at many points.

I think the one thing that really bothered me was the dangling the whole reason why they broke up. It was literally at the 88 percent mark that it was finally revealed. It wasn't necessary to keep this hanging - the book already starts with a "cliffhanger" where there is someone who bombs a soccer stadium and we don't know who it is (we do find out by the end).

Overall, I liked the story of Clara and Benjamin, even if I did not like the character of Clara at all. She made some questionable decisions and was hard to like throughout her chapters.
This was an okay story. Nothing that really made it special. It dragged at times and i just needed a little more excitement.
Thank you NetGalley and this published for this arc in exchange for an honest review.
The one that got away was a decent read it wasn’t too much of what I was expecting based off the blurb but I still enjoyed it even though the mc Clara wasn’t my favorite.
This was a fine story, just not what I was expecting.  Looking back at the blurb, I don't know why I thought it was going to be a light-hearted, this-time-we'll-get-right second-chance attempt to reconnect and build a life with your first love.  That's not this story.  Nothing wrong with the realistic, darker story told here, just not what I thought I was signing up for.
Amazing book everything you want in a book is here thanks for the publisher and NetGalley for the arc of this book and wishing the author all the best with this book
The gentle pastel colours of the cover of “The One that Got Away”, and probably the novel’s title, leads you to believe you’ll be delving into a classic romance story, but this has a lot more grit than you might expect.

Read it if: you fancy reliving some of your most awful teenage decisions.

Don’t read it if: you want to avoid stories with triggers of sexual abuse and suicide bombing.

I finished this book in around a day an a half, and in a classic Charlotte Rixon style, the prose is unfussy, to-the-point and fast-paced. We follow the lives of two teenage lovers through three points in time, listening to how they individually experience the ups and downs of university life, through to adulthood.

Many have complained that one of the main characters, Clara, is deeply unlikeable, but I found her manic and unreasonable reactions very evocative of my teenage experiences with relationships! Some of the ways in which she allows people to treat her really hit home.

There are several disturbing twists in this book, and your sympathies jump around too. I still don’t quite know how I feel about it all, but I’m desperate for a sequel, please Charlotte?

With thanks for Netgalley and Aria & Aries for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
DNF at 30%

I was really looking forward to this one, but it ended up making me dread reading. The characters were irritating, especially the female mc (I've already forgotten her name). Both sides of the relationship just felt so overdramatic. Even worse, there was no chemistry between them. I could continue reading this, but I don't want to spend any more time torturing myself

Thanks to Netgalley for providing a free copy in exchange for an honest review
Clara, a well-to-do girl from London, meets Benjamin, a working class boy from Newcastle in their first year at university. They quickly develop a profound, if not quirky, love, doomed to fail.  Fast forward 20 years and Clara  is a reporter in a newsroom, she hears of a bomb explosion at the Newcastle Football Stadium, and knowing that Benjamin would never miss a match, feels compelled to travel there to find him.  Told from alternating time periods and alternating viewpoints, this novel does a nice job going back and forth between the present and the past.  Clara and Benjamin’s love is tangible and seems so solid, we are left wondering throughout what could have happened to their love. I found this book very compelling and hard to put down.  Thank you to the publishers and NetGalley for the advanced copy, which comes out next year.  For romance fans, I would say this is a compelling read.
Wow, I loved this book and honestly raced through it in 48 hours.

Firstly, this book isn't a romance. It's about missed chances, what if's, and how our lives can change in a single moment.

Ben and Clara fell in love at university, but despite the fact they both felt the other was "the one" a freak accident kept them apart for 20 years.

Told in multiple timelines, we learn about events that have shaped each of their lives. Ben, a single father, and Clara in an unhappy marriage.

This book does contain some subjects that may be triggering; suicide bombing, sexual abuse, manslaughter. However for me, it's an absolute triumph with a hopeful ending that left me in floods of tears.
I mean i didn't hate it but it didn't live up to the expectation I had from reading the blurb. It was a pleasant read though.
I’m a bit on the fence with this one, I can’t say I didn’t enjoy it when I was reading it and I was intrigued to find out what was going to happen to the characters but I didn’t really like the main character which I always find difficult, it then makes the book feel just a little less exciting. Still an enjoyable read just didn’t quite hit the spot for me!
Despite some dark topics, the characters were well written and I found myself wondering what was going to happen with the two lead characters. Claire was hard to relate to, coming off as selfish, insecure, and possessive at times. There were characteristics that I could not relate to between the couple, but I still wondered what was going to happen with them.

Thank you to netgalley, the author, and the publisher for the copy of the book in exchange for a honest review.
I gobbled it up despite there being triggering topics. I felt invested in the lives of Clara and Benjamin in a way I haven’t with a story for a good while. Whilst there are lots of sensitive subjects, the author deals with it in a manner that doesn’t put you off ultimately what the story is about. I thought it was superb storytelling and I’m glad I requested to read it.
This story is about Clara & Ben, who met in college. Most of the story takes place during their college years. 20 years later - will they reunite again? This book had some dark topics and was an interesting read.
The blurb sounded great, then I read the reviews and thought it could not be that bad. And while it wasn’t THAT bad-there were some issues with the main character for me. She was not like able. I do not dislike morally gray characters usually, but in this book it just did not work. Plus it felt like it went on 100 pages too many.
“The One That Got Away” got me hooked since the beginning, it starts strong but kinda looses the flow at some point.

Overall, it was good but nothing life-changing for me, definitely check the trigger warnings because on the outside it looks like a pretty rom-com but some very serious topics are discussed through the book.
What a powerful and emotional book. This book left me breathless and speechless by this story of first love and redemption. It is a truth universally acknowledged that anyone who reads this book will find it absolutely stunning and unforgettable! Charlotte Rixen is a new author to me, but I now will read everything she writes, and I will continue to do so. Forever.  I think everyone would this well-plotted love story that is not a love story, but something so much more. Wonderful, captivating writing gives this novel the depth and ability to pull in any reader. Vivid, descriptive story-telling, with interesting characters that have depth to them, and are skillfully rendered. At the end of the book, I actually put it down to sort out my thoughts, then picked it back up and reread it. It was that good. Charlotte Rixen is now an auto-buy author for me, and I can't wait to own this novel in print. Do yourself a favor and get this book - you won't be sorry. This is probably one of my best reads of 2022!
This is definitely not a romance. Instead deeply flawed mostly unlikable characters making bad choices. This book really needed content warnings.

Thanks to Netgalley and Aria books for an eARC.
Not one that I would be picking up again, it wasn't my cup of tea. I tried to get into it, but felt a disconnect from the characters and did not enjoy it.
I loved this book! From the initial trope, obvious from the moment you pick up the book and read the title, to the complexity of the relationships and characters throughout. At times, I found it hard to sympathise, understand, and connect with Clara, laced with what seemed like a slight arrogance, I feel like Clara’s character would have benefitted from more development, but I suppose she fits into the idea that no one is perfect and a person’s flaws do not define them.