Cover Image: The Prince & The Apocalypse

The Prince & The Apocalypse

This was so cute! The Prince & The Apocalypse by Kara McDowell fits in well with this niche I love that also includes American Royals by Katharine McGee, Prince Charming by Rachel Hawkins, and Royal Blood by Aimee Carter. I love books that focus on the British royal family and this fit into that very well.

Thank you to NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review. A fun romcom in an end-of-the-world setting. What do you have to lose when the a comet is hurtling the future to a halt.

This is a very fun and enjoyable YA romance despite the impending threat of a comet that could mean the end of the world. Wren and Theo are both appealing characters and the ending sets up a twist and a cliff hanger. I look forward to the continuation of their story.

Wren is excited for her trip to London. She has a perfect itinerary and wants to show her family that she is just as good as her older sister. Unfortunately, nothing goes as planned. On the last day of her trip, she goes to the final stop and finds it closed. Dejected, she winds up helping Prince Theo escape. To thank her, he gives her his number and tells her to call if she needs anything. When she finally makes it to the airport, she has missed her plane. To make matters worse, a meteorite is heading towards earth and it will hit the planet, destroying all life. Realizing that her only way home to her family before the apocalypse is Theo, she calls him. Theo wants to escape as well to his family’s island home in Santorini. He agrees to help her if she will help him get to the island. What happens next is an epic road trip across Europe. As Wren and Theo spend time with each other, they start to develop a deeper friendship. Wren also begins to suspect that Theo is hiding something given the massive manhunt by the palace to find him.

This is a quick paced romantic comedy that despite the apocalypse manages to find some humor as Wren and Theo try to navigate friendship and love while each trying to get what they think they want most.

STOP IT!! I am obsessed.

I devoured this book in just two days and couldn't put it down. The pacing was quick and I was entirely engaged throughout the entire story. This book would be PERFECT for getting out of a reading slump. It's the perfect combination of funny and romantic, with so much heart.

The strangers to friends to lovers to enemies trope as *chef's kiss* and I cannot wait for the next book. This was a joy to read and I'm so mad at myself for only just now getting to it!

This is a cute YA romcom with an apocalyptic twist. Definitely not my usual go to because I'm not the target audience, but it was a quick read.

Anytime I come across a romcom featuring royalty I am instantly hooked. However, the apocalypse story line wasn’t really for me. I loved the characters but the plot was subpar.

The Prince & The Apocalypse by Kara McDowell was a fun and brilliant escape from reality. I have been a huge Kara McDowell fan since One Way Or Another and although this is a shift in genre, the elements of a cute love story that made her writing stand out to me is still apparent in this book. I lived for the meet cute Wren and Prince Theo! I'm very glad that I read the book when I did because with that twist ending, I'm beyond excited for the sequel to release later this year.

Thank you to St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for providing me with an ARC of The Prince & The Apocalypse in exchange for an honest review.

I will not be rating on public platforms about this book or any others under the St. Martin's Press / Wednesday Books imprint until the BIPOC reading community hears a satisfiable response from your company.

I have been provided with a review copy of The Prince & The Apocalypse from NetGalley for an impartial review. This book was just so easy to get lost in. I completely got lost in the story and I just loved getting to see these new characters come together. I just absolutely love this story and I just didn’t want to put it down. I can’t wait to see what’s next from this author.

As soon as I finished The Prince and the Apocalypse, I sent my friend a long, rambling voice memo. Her response?

“This is peak feral, Michaela. The SIGHING.”

Honestly, this book did make me go a little feral. It was phenomenal and romantic as heck. I laughed, cried, screamed, and got highly invested in these two fictional characters and their connection during the end of the world.

Wren and Theo were complex characters. Theo especially had a depth you don’t often see in male, YA love interests. Their romance? One of the top 5 of my year. They grew so much because of one another. With a comet hurtling toward earth, there isn’t time to mince words or not call someone out on their nonsense. I’m impressed at how many tropes were thrown into the mix here (one bed! road trip!) without it ever feeling like too much.

Kara McDowell handled the high emotions of each character well. If faced with the end of the world, who would you want to see before it was all over? How would you spend your last moments? It was fascinating to see everyone’s priorities and emotions in the face of global disaster. I definitely cried alongside our protagonist. This novel was more perceptive and emotional than I expected, and it blew me away.

This book was so much fun, stressful in all the best ways (I had to know what would happen next!!), and unexpectedly emotional at all the right points. I absolutely loved following these characters and the twists and turns just kept coming. So excited for the sequel!

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for granting me free access to the advanced digital copy of this book, as this book has already been published, I will not share my review on Netgalley at this time.

There are some books when I read the description, the premise seems ridiculous, and this is one of those. However, as I read the book, I was hooked; I could not stop reading it. McDowell took an unbelievable premise, and filled it with realistic characters struggling with belivable issues. The relationship that emerges between Wren and Theo was sweet and engaging with moments of humor that made me keep reading. I can not wait to revist these characters in the sequel.

A thoroughly enjoyable, super-fast paced late night read . . . until you fall over the cliff at the end.

This was a new author for me. I really enjoyed this book and getting to know her characters Wren and Theo. I am hoping there will be another book out as I want to find out what happens next.

Such a fun concept for a book. I wonder how McDowell would pull off the happy ending — and she knocked it out of the park! And that ending! I can't wait for book two!

I loved this! I thought it was so cute, and the pace was perfect - I read it in two sittings. Theo and Wren are so well-suited for one another that I can't imagine them not meeting in real life. Their journey doesn't require any suspension of disbelief on my part because Theo is a royal. I feel like the ending might set up a sequel? But I can't imagine Wren being happy as a royal (or Theo, for that matter).

I absolutely loved this! It was such a fun YA book (and I love a book with royals). A chance meeting with someone Wren doesn’t realize is famous/noteworthy that turns into a fun adventure/romance where the prince (Theo) is finding a bizarre way to get Wren home to her family before the apocalypse while increasingly strange dystopian things are happening.

The way this ended definitely means a follow up is coming and I’m so excited!

Five stars

⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Thank you to NetGalley and Wednesday books for the E-ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This was requested when I first found out about NetGalley and I had requested so many ARCs that I could not get to all of them before they were archived. I really wanted to get to this one, as it seemed interesting. If I can find this somewhere for a reasonable price, I will try to get it! I am giving this book three stars, as I don't want to give it a good or bad rating, since I did not get to it and we have to leave a star rating.