The Prince & The Apocalypse

A Novel

Pub Date 11 Jul 2023 | Archive Date 25 Jul 2023
St. Martin's Press, Wednesday Books

An American teen stranded in London is forced to team up with the British crown prince if she wants to make it back home before the end of the world in this delightfully rompy high-stakes rom-com.

Wren Wheeler has flown five thousand miles across the ocean to discover she’s the worst kind of traveler: the kind who just wants to go home. Her senior-year trip to London was supposed to be life-changing, but by the last day, Wren’s perfectly-planned itinerary is in tatters. There's only one item left to check off: breakfast at The World’s End restaurant. The one thing she can still get right.

The restaurant is closed for renovations—of course—but there's a boy there, too. A very cute boy with a posh British accent who looks remarkably like the errant Prince Theo, on the run from the palace and his controlling mother. When Wren helps him escape a pack of tourists, the Prince scribbles down his number and offers her one favor in return. She doesn’t plan to take him up on it—until she gets to the airport and sees cancelled flights and chaos. A comet is approaching Earth, and the world is ending in eight days. Suddenly, that favor could be her only chance to get home to her family before the end of the world.

Wren strikes a bargain with the runaway prince: if she’ll be his bodyguard from London to his family’s compound in Santorini, he can charter her a private jet home in time to say goodbye. Traveling through Europe by boat, train, and accidentally stolen automobile, Wren finds herself drawn to the dryly sarcastic, surprisingly vulnerable Theo. But the Prince has his own agenda, one that could derail both their plans. When life as they know it will be over in days, is it possible to find a happy ending?

...

PAGES 320

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Thank you Netgalley, St. Martin’s Press and Wednesday Books for providing me with an eARC in exchange for an honest review. All the opinions and views expressed in this review are purely my own and not affiliated with any brand.

This book was AWESOME! I enjoyed it so much. It was full of adventure, fun and wit. I loved the characters and the way they interacted with each other. Kara McDowell does an excellent job of writing a story that’s fun and witty against such a heavy backstory. The writing is beautiful!

I would absolutely recommended this book to a friend. Do yourself a favor and read this book!!

I devoured this book in one sitting. It was so much fun that I could not put it down!

I loved both of the main characters and felt like they were extremely relatable. I am very much a planner and like a firm itinerary, so Wren was my type of girl. It was so satisfying to watch her break out of her comfort zone and learn to have more fun. Theo was nothing like I would have expected a prince to be like, but in all of the best ways. He was so kind and put others before himself, and he was shockingly emotionally intelligent for a royal.

The action portion of the story felt like a Bourne Identity and Armageddon mashup, and I couldn’t get enough of it. I don’t want to give anything away, so I will come back in July and add more thoughts on the crazy situations that happen. So much fun!

Overall, I highly recommend this book and humbly beg for a sequel!!

Thank you so much to St. Martin’s Wednesday Books for this ARC.

I am OBSESSED with this book! Kara did not disappoint!! I adore Wren and Theo’s relationship, especially their initial meeting and of course, their wedding. The ending absolutely wrecked me, and I am dying (in eight days, apparently) for a second book. Seriously, I would either die from laughing at the ending, or die from the suspense. THE WORLD IS ENDING IN EIGHT DAYS AND IT ONLY TOOK ME A FEW HOURS TO READ THIS BOOK. And if this review sounds like madness that’s because it’s early morning and I stayed up all night because I couldn’t out this book down. Go read it!!

I was not expecting to like this book as much as I did. Completely caught me by surprise. The character were so likable, perfectly flawed, and utterly adorable. However, I was not expecting that ending and now I’m absolutely devastated. Please tell me there is a sequel! I know it’s the end of the world, but there has to be more!

This was a really cute romance novel, I loved the concept of the story and I loved that the cover is so eye-catching. It was what I was hoping for when I read the description and loved the characters in this story. Kara McDowell has a great writing style and it's done so well in the romance going on, it didn't feel rushed or faked. I was glad I was able to read this and look forward to more from the author.

“Chuffed to hear it. Can’t have my bodyguard feeling poorly on the job.” His eyes twinkle mischievously as one hand slides off my shoulder and settles on my lower back. Desire blooms in my chest. The weight of his touch feels electrifying—until I remember what Brooke said about European boys charming girls out of their pants. I jump back, determined to put more space between us."

This book has the most insane premise and I DEVOURED it. Savored it. Hardly came up for air. The Prince & The Apocalypse is everything you'd ever want in a contemporary YA all tied up behind a cute little cover. I loved the characters. I loved the adventure. I loved the runaway prince who Just Wants To Be Normal. When I started this book I thought it would be an average, just okay, forget-about-it-in-a-month read, but I'm telling you now all I'll be able to think about for the next year is going to be That Ending. Faxing Kara McDowell as we speak and demanding a book 2.