Cover Image: Stars of the Night

Stars of the Night

I am a firm believer in the need of history to be told again and again, and more, and from various points of view, and children need to know what happened in the world and what is happening in other parts of the world.
This story was just this. Told from a child’s point of view, war and fear and everything.
It also gives a great opportunity to tell about Czech Republic now – and how it used to be two countries into one, even if you or your child have never visited any of the two countries. It also gives an opportunity to talk about antisemitism and racism in general.
Also, illustrations in this book is just pure art. Beautiful, so beautiful.
A worthy addition to the picture books we have about WWII. The illustrations give the impression that the children are telling the story themselves. This, along with the use of "we" focus the story on the many children in the kindertransport and their experience. It could have been the story of Nicholas Winton but instead, seemingly as he would have preferred based on his own actions, it is the story of the children and their families. Well done.
A very effective telling of the process and impact of the Czech Kindertransport that rescued 669 children from Nazi terrorism and death. Told from the point of view of the children--what they saw, heard and thought--and accompanied by emotionally packed illustrations, this book captures both the information needed and the feelings of those involved. Because of the hard work of one individual, Nicholas Winton, a man who never sought reward or recognition, these 669 children lived to tell their stories and ultimately recognize this dedicated man. This is an important story, well-told and illustrated. An excellent choice for reading and sharing. Highly recommended.
As I read this book to my children, I held back tears. The gradual change of the artwork and the child’s voice depicts the story so well. The book is very well written and the mixed media illustrations bring another element of history and a “scrap book” look that feels familiar. This book would fit into the category of “living books” for me. A compelling story that brings up emotion in both children, and the adults who will read them this depiction of a true story. Well done. A beautiful memorial of a tragic, yet beautiful story.
Excellent nonfiction picture book on an important topic. Great illustrations. I’m considering adding it to my children’s literature course syllabus.
This book literally gave me chills to read.  I think it is SO important to share the stories of those who experienced the Holocaust.  This book is beautifully written and details those children who were sent alone to safety, and uncertain of their future.  The art is beautiful throughout the book and the message of save one life, save the world will stick with you long after the story is over.
I had never heard about the children of the Czech Kinder transport. this was a heartbreaking story, yet so enlightening! This was from the kids point of view, but it was hard for them to understand war. This quote really stood out to me, "There will be times when you'll feel lonely and homesick. Let the stars of the night and the sun of the day be the messenger of our thoughts and love". This could be used as a primary/secondary resource. The collage/acrylic paint/colored pencil illustrations are beautiful.
This is a lovely book. The illustrations were both gorgeous and heartbreaking, but would draw young readers in. It’s a serious topic and story that needs to be told and was done in a gentle way. I loved it.
I received a copy of this book through Netgalley. This is my honest review.

The language in this book is pretty simple, or least felt very simple to me considering the subject matter. But I recognize that it's simple to be relatable for children. I am absolutely biased on this point, because WWII has always fascinated me, but even with simple language, I would have read this book to my children over and over again. It is longer than many children's books I've read, but I feel the story is so important. I also think the simple language would help children to understand what happened back then without raising questions parents might not feel comfortable answering depending on the child's age. I could see this book making kids want to learn more about that time in our history.

The illustrations were different than I'm used to seeing as well. It was almost like a collection of mixed media pieces bundled together. Some pages featured cut-out and painted newspaper articles. Others look like oil or water color painted notebook pages. It was an interesting collection at the very least, and I wonder if those choices were made to replicate the way the children whose stories are being told would have created art.

Overall I give this book 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Stars of the Night is absolutely gorgeous.
Not only is it a story that needs to be told, it is incredibly well written for a child's point of view.
This is so beautifully designed and presented.
All the stars for this book!
Thank you to the publisher and to NetGalley for the eARC!

It was very interesting to read about the children who traveled to escape the war alone.  This is a great text for young readers who are beginning to learn about the Holocaust. It is very informational and easy to understand. I like the timeline in the back of the book along with real pictures of Nicholas Winton, the man who saved all the children. This is a great resource for children and even adults!
What a fascinating story! This one should be added to classroom libraries for grades 3 and up. Middle schoolers would especially enjoy and be inspired by the bravery of this individual and others involved in the selflessness of the Kindertransport.
This beautiful story brought me to tears. This is the story of children from Czechoslovakia as they have to leave their homes for safety in England right before WW2 breaks out. The story is told in the “we” voice, which adds to the impact. The story concludes with the children finding out who the man was who organized their escape, Nicholas Winton. He saved over 660 kids. This was the first I ever heard of him and immediately looked him up after reading the book. You will love the beautiful collage style of the story and mourn with the kids as they leave their parents and home.  Please read this book. It is incredible!
"There will be times when you feel lonely or homesick. Let the stars of the night and the sun of the day be the messenger of our thoughts and love."

A beautiful children's book about the children of the Czech kindertransport, a group of 669 Jewish children from Prague that were sent away to England during WWII. When the chlidren returned to Prague years later, most of them found that their families had perished or were missing. Many never found their families again. This book is beautiful and bittersweet. I've heard of a lot of things about WWII but never the Czech kindertransport, so it was nice to learn something new! The illustrations in the book are also absolutely beautiful.

Thanks to netgalley for a free copy in exchange for an honest review!