Stars of the Night

The Courageous Children of the Czech Kindertransport

Pub Date 07 Feb 2023 | Archive Date 31 Mar 2023
Lerner Publishing Group, Carolrhoda Books ®

Talking about this book? Use #StarsoftheNight #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Sorry friends: eBook not available for Kindle download.

"When we were seven or eight or nine or ten, our home was the old city of Prague."

So begins this powerful story of the children who were rescued from Czechoslovakia on the eve of World War II, as Hitler's campaign of hatred toward Jews and political dissidents took hold. Told from the collective perspective of the children, the narrative starts in 1938 and follows them as they journey to foster families in England for the duration of the war, return to Prague afterward in an unsuccessful search for their parents, and eventually connect with Nicholas Winton, a British former stockbroker who was instrumental in bringing them to safety.

Award-winning author Caren Stelson teams up with acclaimed illustrator Selina Alko to sensitively tell this tale of survival and defiance in the face of tyranny. Learn the inspiring history of the Czech Kindertransport, which rescued 669 children from Nazi persecution.

Sorry friends: eBook not available for Kindle download.

So begins this powerful story of the children who were...

Advance Praise

"A not-to-be-missed, inspirational book about courage, heart, and the necessity of caring for others."—starred, Kirkus Reviews

"This book tells my father's story through the eyes of the children he helped to save from the Holocaust. It is a reminder of the huge difference any one of us can make in the lives of others. Our world depends on it. It is down to people like him, people like us, to make the change we want to see."—Nick Winton, son of Sir Nicholas Winton

"This book tells my father's story through the eyes of the children he...

EDITION Hardcover
PAGES 40

This beautiful story brought me to tears. This is the story of children from Czechoslovakia as they have to leave their homes for safety in England right before WW2 breaks out. The story is told in the “we” voice, which adds to the impact. The story concludes with the children finding out who the man was who organized their escape, Nicholas Winton. He saved over 660 kids. This was the first I ever heard of him and immediately looked him up after reading the book. You will love the beautiful collage style of the story and mourn with the kids as they leave their parents and home. Please read this book. It is incredible!

"There will be times when you feel lonely or homesick. Let the stars of the night and the sun of the day be the messenger of our thoughts and love."

A beautiful children's book about the children of the Czech kindertransport, a group of 669 Jewish children from Prague that were sent away to England during WWII. When the chlidren returned to Prague years later, most of them found that their families had perished or were missing. Many never found their families again. This book is beautiful and bittersweet. I've heard of a lot of things about WWII but never the Czech kindertransport, so it was nice to learn something new! The illustrations in the book are also absolutely beautiful.

Thanks to netgalley for a free copy in exchange for an honest review!