✨ 𝐑 𝐄 𝐕 𝐈 𝐄 𝗪 ✨⁣

“‘Nobody else is ever going to care as much as you do about the things that you want, Gwendoline. So it’s up to you - you can put them aside forever, if you can live with that, or you can put on your big-girl girdle and demand more for yourself.’”⁣

𝘎𝘸𝘦𝘯 & 𝘈𝘳𝘵 𝘈𝘳𝘦 𝘕𝘰𝘵 𝘪𝘯 𝘓𝘰𝘷𝘦 by Lex Croucher⁣
☆ ☆ ☆⁣

Today, I have for you a very late and short review.⁣

I finished 𝘎𝘸𝘦𝘯 & 𝘈𝘳𝘵 𝘈𝘳𝘦 𝘕𝘰𝘵 𝘪𝘯 𝘓𝘰𝘷𝘦 back in March, but let’s not discuss how long ago I 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘦𝘥 reading this book. 🤦🏻‍♀️⁣

𝘎𝘸𝘦𝘯 & 𝘈𝘳𝘵 is cute and delightfully queer, but I honestly think it could stand to be either cut down or spiced up (not in a dirty way because yes, I know it’s YA) because the middle of it is so intensely boring that I simply had to step away from it for…several months. Despite my break, I still wound up enjoying the end and thinking it is a pretty cute, queer read for the teens out there.⁣

At the end of the day, I’m glad I read it, but it was just okay. Too many lengthy detail passages where the reader is told instead of shown and not really a whole lot of kindling of romance. Once again, I say this knowing it doesn’t need to be spicy romance. But like hello, you can have romance through conversation, too, and I felt like the love interests had very little of that. 🤷🏻‍♀️⁣

Thank you so much to @wednesdaybooks for my digital and physical copies of this book! 🤩

So, rom-coms aren’t normally my jam, but I knew I had to read this one. It did not disappoint. As a student of medieval literature, I was drawn to this one because of it’s ties to Arthurian myths, which I’ve always loved. The book starts hundreds of years after the rule of the mythical King Arthur and follows the ill-fated engagement of Arthur and Gwendoline. The pair have been engaged since birth and have nothing but derision for each other. There’s a running bit about when they were children Gwen broke Art’s arm. The two are forced to spend the summer together, in an effort to bring them closer together as eventually they will have to marry. No matter how much they both are trying to avoid it. Within the first day of being together, Gwen catches Art kissing a boy, and he digs up her diary and her crush on the only lady knight in the kingdom, Lady Bridget. Eventually, they do decide to lookout for one another, and try to care for each other. Gwen gets swept off her feet by a knight at the summer tournament, confusing her feelings for Lady Bridget, and Art falls head over heels for Gwen’s brother. This book was full of sarcastic humor, found family, classic rom-com misunderstandings and mishaps, and of course, epic sword fighting scenes. I really loved this book. There wasn’t anything to not like about it. The twist on the classic Arthur tale with LGBTQ characters felt totally natural, and not forced in any way. Lady Bridget was one of my favorite characters, and I loved the storyline that surrounded her. This book is a great example of a YA romance that gets things right- positive examples of relationships and boundaries, and great representation of what teens in love feel and act like. It was like a breath of fresh air that there weren’t any toxic romantic relationships in this book. By the end of it, I really just wanted to be in the friend group of these characters, they are so lively and fun you can’t help but be invested in their story. I’d recommend this one if you like twists on classic tales, LGBTQ romances, witty and sarcastic characters, or medieval settings with modern mindsets.

Entertaining and Humorous! Expectations were met and would most likely reread again! The story has a lot of Arthurian references but definitely wished it had more magic moments. If you love cozy LGTB stories READ THIS BOOK!

I've loved every Lex Croucher book I've read and this is no exception. Thrilled that they're now putting books out for a YA audience. We need more titles like these!

4⭐️

I often go into books totally blind, so all I gathered was that this would be a medieval YA rom-com. I was very excited to learn that it is that, except <i>both</i> Gwen and Art are queer, and are not each other’s love interest. I loved the humor, the characters, and their unique stories. I’m excited for whatever the author writes next!!

Our young adult patrons have been asking for "cozy queer" books similar to Alice Oseman's Heartstopper and The Princess and the Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Deya Muniz, and this book fits the bill! A fantastic and affirming read, and an excellent book to add to an "adventure begins at your library" summer reading display, Gwen & Art Are Not in Love is the perfect summer read.

In this laugh-out-loud funny historical-inspired YA, Gwen & Art enter into an uneasy alliance after they discover that neither of them wants to honor their betrothal, not only because they hate each other, but because they're both very queer. Would recommend for fans of My Lady Jane and the found family trope.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. I really wanted to love this one because it sounded so cute and fun, but it really wasn't for me. The writing and pacing were boring, and I didn't feel invested enough to finish after reading 20% of if.

This was absolutely delightful. Sometimes you have a book that just makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, and this is one of those books.

I have no idea why I took so long to actually read this book, because it was DELIGHTFUL. It follows Gwen and Arthur (but not THAT Gwen and Arthur) who are betrothed to one another...but also hate one another. This leads to a fake dating situation that does NOT lead to romantic love--at least between the two of them.

Lex Croucher is a wizard and I loved this book. It was funny, charming, and sweet. There were also some truly stressful moments and I found myself racing through it because I needed to know how everything would work out for Gwen and Art. I LOVED Gwen and Art, and I will root for them, their friendship, and their loves (ahem, Bridget and Gabriel) forever. Gwen and her brother Gabriel struggle with their sexuality when faced with the rigidity of being royals and the expectations that come with that. This is set in a medieval period, and I loved the exploration of what it takes to accept yourself for who you are and how to find happiness for yourself.

If you like fun, sometimes absurd, and heartful historical-ish novels, I highly recommend!

3 Stars. I enjoyed the beginning half and the overall vibes of the story. However, something about the characters felt flat to me. I eventually lost interest and put the book down. I still think this could be a story I enjoy at a future time. It may have been a case of right book, wrong time because the premise sounds amazing to me. I may pick it up in the future.

I love everything Lex writes but this one fell a little short with me. It seemed like almost everything was revealed by the back of the book and I wish that the fake relationship aspect went a bit farther. It was quickly started and revealed which confused me as it seemed like it would be a larger part of the book. The book took a very serious turn at the end with really intense war and battle that seemed out of place. In general, the tone seemed like it was all over the place.

Unlike in their previous books, I never felt like I really got to know or relate to the characters. My favorite was the MC's brother though. I also really loved the setting and wish as a reader that I got to see more of it.

I still think this is worth the read and I in no way hate the book, but I think maybe it could have used a bit more refining. I would also say for a YA book it had very adult content (but that may just be my American viewpoint lol - maybe in the UK drinking young is way more normalized).

3.5
So gay I love it. King Arthur spin off (not really a retelling). Found family in the best way. Didn’t feel like high stakes, but the plot had a lot. Cozy and reaffirming and happy. I’m here for it.

This was so fun to read. It was mostly light hearted, with witty banter and likable characters. Although there is romance, it is very sweet and the friendships really shine. The audio is recommended for listeners!

Gwen was a princess, already betrothed to Arthur since she was still a kid. One summer when Gwen almost 18, Arthur ordered by his father to spend the summer at Camelot castle to get to know Gwen better. Soon its discovered that they both had crushes to other people, despite their betrothal. Then they agreed to keep their charade and keep each other’s secret.

Honestly i couldn’t really connect with the story. Sure it was funny sometimes, but they seemed to be just fucking around without any concerns about other stuff. All that matter were their romantic affairs. And the fact that they’re all barely adult????? I know that’s because the book’s age range is YA but it didnt sit right with me somehow.

Then suddenly after 80% mark its action packed. At that point I couldn’t care less about the book, thought about dnf it but didn’t want my time wasted for nothing. So here we are.

This was a fun YA queer romance.

I think it works perfectly for the demographic and still manages to resonate with an older crowd.

I really enjoyed this one! I liked the medieval setting, and the characters were a lot of fun. It was a great dual enemy to lovers/friends to lover's story.

The romance was a small portion of the story compared to the friendships that were made throughout, which I found to be the best part.

I had a lot of fun from beginning to end and would definitely recommend it!

The comparisons to A Knights Tale are perfectly apt for this irreverent medieval rom com. Years after King Arthur, a princess betrothed to the person she loathes most discovers they share a secret that might just bring them together: neither of them is straight. And as they try to woo their crushes and withstand threats to Camelot, they realize they might not hate each other as much as they thought. Enemies to lovers friend edition!

A Knight's Tale is literally my favorite movie of all time, and I have it pretty much memorized. I felt a bit nervous to read this book because it was marketed as a cross between A King Arthur retelling (another genre I love) and A Knight's Tale-it felt like super big shoes to fill. Ultimately I enjoyed this book and had a really good time. I do wish that it wasn't YA, not because of spice or lack thereof, but it felt like there were issues that the characters were dealing that could have been managed with a tad more maturity. YA felt right in the beginning but as it continued I started to feel like something was missing.

4.25/5 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️✨

I did not expect to have such a good time with this book but I enjoyed this read so much! Very much a coming of age, discovering yourself type of story for Gwen. For Arthur, it’s more about finding purpose and love. I loved them both! Such opposites with very different kinds of main character energy!

I found the sarcastic, dry humor to be so entertaining with these young people but it was fitting for their circumstances. I liked how it was dual pov though obviously not with the characters falling for each other. Gwen and Art’s friendship was so good once it gets to develop! In terms of romance, it does read more like a single pov since their love interests don’t get narratives. Not spicy and slow burn. The HEA was very sweet!

A rather interesting take on the story of King Arthur but one I really liked. This is not a retelling of any kind though! I would recommend this to historical fiction lovers for sure!

If you’re recommending this to a young person I would be mindful of the heavy drinking and violence in this story!