Cover Image: Face of Greed

Face of Greed

This is a fast paced debut novel for a detective series. The author develops the storyline with preciseness. I was still piecing the evidence and clues together as the novel reached its resolution. The police procedural aspect of the novel is strong and realistic.

The characters are well developed. The interactions between Emily Hunter and Javier Medina demonstrate that they are natural partners in this line of work.

If you are a fan of Law & Order you will thoroughly enjoy this one.

Thank you Netgalley. This was a different read for me and I was excited by the description. It did not disappoint! The story was great and characters were engaging. This book was a definite eye opener for me to start reading more books with a " political" story.

I had stopped reading this ARC because I thought the main character was over the top in her rebelliousness. But somehow I got sucked back in and it was a mediocre okay. Again cops doing things that they never would do in a 100 years annoys me. The trite banter not impressive. Kinda wish I hadn’t started it again but….
I was given a copy by NetGalley opinions are my own.

There is much to enjoy in a book by L’Etoile, and this new one introducing Detective Emily Hunt and her partner Javier Medina is no exception. It has terrific dialogue, an intriguing mystery, and relatable characters.

The story involves an all-too-common trope in police procedural mysteries - the corrupt city official who is exerting pressure on the police to back off from certain suspects. In this case it’s the mayor. The man who was killed was not only the mayor’s campaign manager, he’d donated a considerable sum of money to Mayor Stone’s last campaign. So, the mayor makes it clear how he thinks the investigation should proceed, and the cops are to stop questioning the deceased’s widow, Lori Richardson.

Of course, Detective Hunt doesn’t back down in face of the pressure from her boss, who is getting all the pressure from the mayor. That establishes her as a strong, independent, woman who is going to go after the truth no matter what, a characteristic that is very endearing and will sustain her for a series.
The subplot of Emily’s mother, Connie, and the dementia is handled well, and the author made it all believable. At times, I was more concerned about what was going to happen with Connie, than I was in knowing who killed Richardson.

The ending was a disappointment to me. I can’t say much about why without a spoiler, so I won’t do that. Suffice it to say a storyline that was holding together quite nicely for most of the book, started to unravel

Oh wow this was GOOD! I love police procedural crime thrillers and this was a great one! I loved the writing, characters, plot and it had good twists!

This is my first by this author, but after Face Of Greed, it will not be my last!

This police procedural is the first in the Emily Hunter detective series.

Emily Hunter is a detective and works long, irregular hours. She has just moved her mom in and trying to take care of her as she is in the throws of early onset dementia. I have to say, I just loved the charter development of Emily and her mom. It was grounded, authentic and just beautiful.

Emily’s partner Javier is equally loveable as is his mom. L’Etoile clearly has a gift with suburb character development and free flowing, relatable dialogue.

Emily and Javier are tasked to solve a home invasion, where everything is not really as to seems. With the mayor and top government officials wanting this crime solved and hung out to dry ASAP both detectives have their work cut out for them.

I loved all the characters in this book and cannot wait for the next instalment. Highly recommended 🤩

Many thanks to @netgalley @oceanviewpub @partnersincrime and @wbfrompa for your patience in this very behind review ❤️

"Face of Greed" by James L'etoile presents a riveting and layered narrative that plunges readers into a world of greed, corruption, and betrayal within the city of Sacramento.

Detective Emily Hunter and her partner, Javier Medina, are tasked with unravelling a brutal home invasion that has far-reaching implications and hidden motives.

L'etoile skillfully crafts a high-stakes investigation that not only delves into the complexities of the crime but also delves into personal struggles faced by Emily as she navigates the challenges of caring for her mother, who is dealing with early-onset Alzheimer's. This adds a compelling layer of depth to the narrative, as readers witness the protagonist's emotional and personal turmoil alongside the demanding professional pressures of solving the case.

As the investigation unfolds, a web of dark forces, including the political elite and shadowy criminal elements, emerges, casting doubt on the true nature of the crime. The novel expertly captures the intricate dance between greed, deception, and retribution, delving into the shadowy world of gang violence and power struggles that further complicates the case.

"Face of Greed" delivers a multifaceted exploration of crime and its impact, intertwining personal and professional challenges with the relentless pursuit of justice. L'etoile's storytelling prowess, coupled with the compelling portrayal of the characters and the layered dynamics at play, firmly establish the novel as a gripping and thought-provoking addition to the crime thriller genre. This high-stakes, tension-filled narrative promises an immersive and unpredictable journey, keeping readers on edge as the investigation takes unexpected turns and risks for the protagonist!

This is my first novel by this author, but it intrigued me right from the start. The pragmatic main character was richly written and easy to love so rooting for her throughout every twist and turn written was an easy choice. I devoured this in one sitting because i needed to see it all the way through from start to finish. Excellent start to many more reads by Etoille

Thank you NetGalley for this arc.

If you love books about corrupt politics, this is a read for you. I felt frustrated for the main character because of all the politicians with their hands in the pot that blocked actual progress on this latest murder. The twist was good, the book kept my interest and I found myself staying up way too late to read it. I would keep reading this series because I am invested enough in the lead character to see where her life and cases take her! Thank you NetGalley for the arc!

This is the first book I have read by this author and really enjoyed the fast-paced detective story. This book was full of crime, corruption and betrayal with gang related violence. An extensive research project had to be completed to be able to place the clues and detectives in the right places. Impressive writing!

Ooh I love a strong female lead and Detective Emily Hunter is exactly that. I love Emily!

Emily is investigating a violent murder; and the victim is friends with the mayor. Who is also on the investigation scene. The victim is the man who ran the mayor’s re-election campaign. The mayor inserts himself into the investigation and blocks Emily’s efforts. Ugh.

This book started off intriguing and maintained my interest throughout. I could totally relate to Emily and was cheering for her the whole way. Love this this also included her personal life and her dealings with her aging mother.

Thank you NetGallery for a complimentary copy on exhange for an honest review.

Lots of twists and turns. Character development is great. Good interaction between the two main detectives. I hope there are many more books to come. Good read and I recommend it.

I had never read anything by this author before this book. I also don't usually love police procedurals because I work in a police department. That being said, I enjoyed this book.

It was faced paced, so it kept me going and wanting to know where the turns were taking us.

I liked the characters and Emily and Javier's characters worked well together. I also enjoyed that there were multiple plotlines going at the same time, so it kept me on my toes.

I will keep an eye out for this author in the future.

A well -structured book with a solid plot and relatable characters.
I have to be honest, it didn't 'wow' me but as a police procedural thriller it does chug along nicely and mad for an excellent Sunday-on-the-sofa read.

While I have read a couple of L'Etiole's novels, this is the first one featuring Detective Emily Hunter. I really like her feisty nature. She continues to pursue a murder investigation even when powerful city politicians want her to stop. It seems corruption might be the reason for her being shut down. I like her character because she comes across as a real person too. She has issues with the care of her mother, something many readers can relate to.

This is a good police procedural where persistence in the face of opposition pays off. There is a good deal of action and the pace is consistent and kept me reading. I hope we'll see more of Emily Hunter.

I received a complimentary egalley of this book from the publisher. My comments are an independent and honest review.

Emily Hunter and Javier Medina are detectives and partners investigating the home invasion and murder of Roger Townsend. Amidst this, Emily has to balance her personal and work life, she has a mom who has onset of Alzheimer's who needs care 24/7. It starts with one murder and as Emily and her partner continue to investigate, they find there is more to it than initially thought.

This is my first book from the author. I liked the female lead Emily who is very spontaneous and keen on her job. I also liked the way the story was told. It was like watching a crime/cop tv series in my head the whole time i read. and when you think you are done with the climax, there is another plot keeping you on the edge. The partnership between Emily and Javier was amazing, would love to see more of it coming if the author wishes to write a sequel.

Overall, the book was a page turner. I completed it in 1.5 days.

Face of Greed is a police procedural featuring detective Emily Hunter and her partner Javier Medina. They are called to the scene of the murder of a prominent business man. The Mayor and Chief of Police want this case wrapped up quickly, but Emily is determined to solve the case no matter where it leads.

I thought this was a really enjoyable mystery. There were a of of twists and turns. I had one of the suspects pegged from the start, but the rest of the story was a surprise. I read this in one sitting. I really liked Emily's character. She was a great detective because she was smart and took her job seriously. What I loved the most about the book was Emily's relationship with her partner Javier. Their banter was effortless and just really fun. I would definitely want to read more about this duo in future cases. I hope if there is a next book, we get to see more of Emily and Brian. That seems like it would be a cute relationship. I definitely recommend this one.

Thank you to James L'Etoile, Oceanview Publishing, NetGalley, and Edelweiss for providing me with an ebook copy of Face of Greed for me to read and review. What an intriguing start to what I hope will prove to be a long running detective mystery series! The main character immediately spoke to me with her authentic, real-life struggles, and no-nonsense attitude. I can't wait to hopefully read more about her. The main character's detective partner was also a gem of a character with a traumatic backstory and a sassy sense of humour. The plot was full of twists and turns and puzzle pieces that didn't quite seem to fit and drew me in as a reader constantly questioning what had truly happened and who was really the "bad guy". I cannot wait to read more by L'Etoile.

Sacramento Police Detectives Emily Hunter and Javier Medina are assigned to investigate a home invasion. Roger, the husband is murdered during the invasion. The investigation leads the detectives through political and criminal powers determined to stop the detectives. The story reads like a police procedural with plot twists, action and suspense. Strong female characters written authentically kick the story up a notch. I especially liked the balance of their home and work lives. I found the ending to be very satisfying. Thanks to Netgalley for the opportunity to read this advanced copy of Face Of Greed in exchange for my honest review.

An excellent police procedural novel with a strong female protagonist. Emily Hunter is a confident, sarcastic, tenacious police detective with the Sacramento police department. I hope this is the start of a new series because I love the characters, the fast paced plot, and the myriad of twists along the way to the dramatic conclusion. The characters are all fully developed and the plot is propelled along at a nice clip. Highly recommended

Thanks to NetGalley and Oceanview Publishing for an advanced reader copy.