Cover Image: Arya Khanna's Bollywood Moment

Arya Khanna's Bollywood Moment

I very much enjoyed this Bollywood-inspired YA romance. A fun, laid-back, and episodic read, "Arya Khanna's Bollywood Moment" kept my attention from start to finish.

With drama occurring within her family, her friendships, and at school, Arya's senior year is not going the way she'd hoped it would.

Arya's sister Alina is home for the first time in three years for her wedding, but Alina and their mom keep clashing. While Arya is happy to have her sister back, she can't help feeling bitter towards Alina for being gone.

Arya also finds herself caught in the middle after her two best friends break up and is unsure how to proceed, especially when one of them starts to purposely distance herself.

At school, Arya still resents Dean for winning student body council president but tries (and sometimes fails) to work amicably with him instead of bickering like they have since they’ve known each other.

"Arya Khanna's Bollywood Moment" is a welcome addition to the YA sphere. The story exhibited a realistic teenager with realistic and relatable problems. I liked all the characters, the drama, the setting, and the cultural experience. The romance was nice and didn’t overtake or become the focus of the story. Overall, this was great!

I thought it was a cute story I really love books I introduce things about other cultures without feeling like it’s a documentary or a nonfiction book and this was a cute read for Ya audience

Fairly predictable rom com but it was still a good read that I enjoyed. And I did enjoy learning about another culture.

3.5 stars! This was such a fun read. I really enjoyed it. The one thing I didn’t love was the ending. It felt like there should have been a little bit more. I wanted to see a little more after some things were resolved near the end. I enjoyed Arya’s journey through the first part of her senior year, and seeing how she grew to be a better communicator with her family and friends. I did enjoy the young romance as well.

This is a great example of the enemies-to-lovers trope. The story is cute, and the characters are sweet and likable. Even Dean turns out to be a much more admirable character than he appears at first. Aside from Arya and Dean, there are a lot of other interesting, well-drawn, and mostly likable characters in the book as well including Arya's sister, Alina, and various other friends and family members.

The book is full of great family vibes. There is plenty of real family as well as the found family of deep friendships. The author does a good, realistic, and relatable job of showcasing the highs and lows of both familial and friend relationships and how they can go wrong and still manage to be salvaged in the end.

The author also shares a lot of information about Indian traditions, customs, etc., particularly those regarding weddings throughout the book. While this information is interesting, it is not very well explained, and it leaves the reader wanting to know more which takes away slightly from enjoyment of the book. It would be better if there was a glossary of terms for readers who might not be at all familiar with these traditions, customs, etc. Other than that the book is a delightfully engrossing read.

I was excited to read this book, I loved the summary of it, I think it just did not stick out for me as a diverse YA read besides the main female as an Indian lead and the main male as a Jewish character, but neither of these identities really were that present in the plot. It didn’t feel like there was a ton of plot in the novel, and the characters also unfortunately fell a little flat for me. But I could definitely see YA readers enjoying it, it just did not do anything different for the genre in my opinion.

This was a fun romcom read that read YA. I enjoyed the relationship development from enemies to friends and then lovers. Fashion, Bollywood and food had me living every second of this hilarious heart warming book.

Arya’s trying to navigate her senior year of high school while dealing with her sister’s wedding, her sister’s return home, her mother’s depression, a part-time job, college applications, her best friends breaking-up and the snotty but cute boy who beat her in the student election. It’s a lot. Everything is changing around her and while Arya seems to want everything to stay the same, she’s forced to face these changes head on.

She’s a bit stubborn and maybe not the most instantly likable character I’ve ever encountered but you certainly wanted to root for her just because of the sheer number of things the girl has going on. She needed the win.

The synopsis suggests this is structured like a Bollywood film but I didn’t really get that. My interaction with Bollywood films are limited, particularly in the last few years so perhaps I’m ignorant and if I’m wrong please do correct me. It seemed to be structured like every other teen novel I’ve encountered. There were certainly no musical numbers or fights and well there was a dance scene that really had no bearing on the plot. It also lacked the melodrama that I often associate with Bollywood films. To me, the characters seemed very realistic in terms of their personalities and the problems they were facing. I guess the comparison had me expecting something a little different and as a result I was a little disappointed.

It still was a cute contemporary young adult novel that I would feel confident handing over to any teen to enjoy.

Thank you Wednesday Books for providing an advanced reading copy through NetGalley. All opinions are my own.

Arushi Avachat's "Arya Khanna's Bollywood Moment" is like a Bollywood dance sequence in book form – full of energy, drama, and a whole lot of fun! Arya takes us on a wild ride through the glitzy world of Bollywood, and Avachat keeps it real with a perfect mix of glamour and relatability.

The book is a spicy masala mix of dreams, drama, and a dash of chaos. Arya is not just a character; she's your Bollywood BFF, and you can't help but root for her as she navigates the ups and downs of the film industry. Avachat's writing is like a burst of confetti – lively, colorful, and impossible to resist.

What I love most is how Avachat captures the essence of Bollywood while adding her own flair. The characters are like your favorite movie stars, and the plot is as unpredictable as a classic Bollywood plot twist. It's not just a book; it's a joyride through the Bollywood rollercoaster.

So, if you're in the mood for a dose of glitter, drama, and a whole lot of laughs, "Arya Khanna's Bollywood Moment" is your front-row ticket to the most entertaining show in town!

A young adult Bollywood drama with enemies to lovers, complicated family dynamics and a bookstore setting. I was transported by the clothes, food, films and traditions described so beautifully in this book. A very cute rom com centered on Anya who, as many teenagers do, finds herself making mistakes in the name of fixing things. I loved seeing Anya’s relationship with her boss, friends, sister, mother and her cute rival develop and progress. Set against the backdrop of holiday celebrations and wedding festivities, this was a cute and quick rom com and I am so glad I read it! Thank you to NetGalley for my earc!

This was a cute, sweet young adult book. I wasnt sure what to expect at first but I throughly enjoyed it.

There was definitely the warm fuzzies of romance in it and I liked all of the Pride and Prejudice mentions.

This was a perfect coming of age story. The enemies to lovers plot was good too. I liked how the romance happened.

Thank you Netgalley and publishers for allowing the chance to read. This was a four star rating.

Due to the ongoing marketing boycott of St. Martin’s Press because of their continued failure to address an employee’s harmful and offensive remarks on social media, I will be withholding from reviewing this title. I sincerely hope the company takes action soon so I may resume promoting the diverse stories that SMP ought to stand by,

Thank you to Netgalley for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed Arya as a main character and her relationship with her sister. Their whole family dynamic is quite complicated and I enjoyed how the author portrayed it realistically. That sets the tone for pretty much everything else in the book including the romance aspect. I do think that certain aspect of Arya and Dean’s relationship was a bit rushed at the end but the did an amazing job creating an organic but cute romance. Also I loved all the Bollywood movie references!
Overall it was a cute read and I would definitely recommend it!

This was such a great debut novel! Arya Khanna’s Bollywood Moment was a super fun YA Romance. Arya felt like an authentic high school senior, which is what I want in a YA book!
This book has a LOT of drama. We have side plots with her sister, mom, leadership club, senior formal, two best friends… it’s a lot for poor Arya to juggle! I thought the story flowed very well and balanced all the side plots.
I enjoyed the romance in this book a lot. It wasn’t the main plot, but I appreciate how genuine it felt. There was a nod to Pride and Prejudice when Arya was asked how Lizzy went from hating Darcy to loving him to which she responded “very naturally”, and I saw this mirrored so much between Arya and Dean.
Overall this book was so fun and sweet. I wanted a bit more from some of the side plots, but I was satisfied with how everything tied up, especially considering that this is a YA book and not an adult romance or literary fiction.
I love seeing young faces in publishing and I cannot get over the fact that this author is still in college. I can’t wait to read more of her books in the future!
Thank you to NetGalley, the author and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

I love a good Bollywood movie but Bollywood shenanigans in a book? Even better! This was adorable and fun to read and honestly I will read any YA romance with a wedding setting. The romance was also so so cute and I loved reading Arya’s journey throughout this book. Very wholesome. Definitely recommend!

Arya Khanna's Bollywood by Arushi Avachat is a cute young adult romance that transported me into a bollywood movie. Interspersed with the wedding festivities, this novel is a very light-hearted story revolving around the teenage life of Arya. Picturing this book as a movie is not hard at all.

Arya Khanna, a senior, is getting ready for her sister's wedding. But she is dealing with family tensions as well as conflicts between herself and her best friend. When I picture this story, I can see Alia Bhatt of The Student of the Year (a bollywood movie). Being a desi, I was transported to those wonderful songs and movies that the author referred to in the book. It's a wonderful feeling and left me with a smile. I really hope this book gets picked up for a hindi movie and gets its own Desi girl song :)

Thank you to the publisher for this book.

A wonderful, modern, coming-of-age story with realistic teenage problems, featuring many diverse characters. This book is a great representation of a young adult title for today's teenagers!

I'm always down for a cute Bollywood romance and this one was sweet and fun. The writing was very captivating and I loved all the dancing, sounds, and colours. I felt the energy leap off the page. I think that Arya was very kind and handled everything with such grace as a teenager, which is not always the case, especially in fiction. Thought this was a fun read.

4.5. This was such a delight to read; it's structured like a Bollywood movie, complete with cultural references and song allusions (plus the end credits scene was fun to imagine). Arya's enemies-to-lovers romance with Dean develops organically with just a hint of Bollywood drama to make their chemistry pop; readers will love seeing their relationship develop. I do wish some of the fractal family issues had been addressed more, but that would have made it a much longer book.

This book was such a lovely debut! I love a cute YA romcom and this one certainly delivered. I get so genuinely excited when I read things that are relatable to me growing up and the Bollywood references were top tier in this book. A K3G reference in the first couple pages is a win in my book. I grew up watching the same movies and making the same references as Arya and to see that on page was so cool. I too would love to have my Bollywood dupatta moment someday. I really liked Arya's character. She's a senior in high school, trying to figure out how to balance preparations for her sister's wedding, the growing rift between her mother and sister, navigating her own friendships and relationships on top of that, and planning for her future after high school. I felt for Arya at times because she genuinely is trying her best to make everything better. However, she is quick to judge at times and did tend to avoid confrontation, although part of that is just being a teenager.

I really thought Arya and Dean's romance was so sweet and wholesome. I love how they started off as rivals and slowly learn that that's not the case at all. I loved the backdrop of Arya's sister's wedding and all the preparations that went into it (also there's a character named Sheila Jawani which I thought was amazing). I would have a liked a little more from the complex family dynamics, although, I'm happy that there is some resolution in that aspect at least as it pertains to Arya and her sister. Overall, this is a great YA debut and it was a quick read. The romance is so adorable and I liked the characters. I would definitely recommend this book and I can't wait to see what Avachat writes next.