Cover Image: The Other Half

The Other Half

Detective Caius Beauchamp is on an early morning jog across Hampstead Heath when he stumbles across a body lying half hidden by a bush. Once he's assigned to the case, he learns that the woman in question had come from a party held by Rupert Beauchamp, no relation <em>thank you very much</em>. They don't even pronounce it the same way! Rupert and Caius are not destined to be friends, as their existence is antithetical to the other. Rupert is a spoiled rich kid from old money, and Caius is mixed race, hard-working, a little insecure and trying to educate himself more thoroughly in order to win back his French girlfriend. The shared name is a stroke of brilliance; every time someone says "Are you two related?" it is a shorthand way of referencing years of race relations and unfair advantages gained by one group at the expense of the other.
To celebrate his 30th birthday, Rupert had come up with the precocious idea of having his party at a McDonald's, a black tie affair serving burgers and nuggets with top-shelf champagne, BYOC (bring your own coke). Caius is unimpressed. Rupert seems the obvious suspect--it helps that he's so obnoxious!--but try as they can, nothing seems to stick. Meanwhile the police investigation is continually hampered by the privilege and protection that wealth brings. As Caius and his partner investigate art galleries (was the dead women having an affair with the owner?) and auction houses, several suspects emerge, and before long there's another body!
There are really two protagonists, and the other is Nell. Rupert loves her but she's not sure about Rupert. Nell has her own secrets, plus a delightful sense of style. I loved the sections told in her voice, and she is an intriguing character.
I thoroughly enjoyed this glimpse into how the other half lives--or to be more precise, I loved the characters of Caius and Nell, and enjoyed being annoyed by many of the others.The Other Half skewers the modern class system in Britain, and is a delightful combination of social satire and police procedure. I loved it! Highly recommended!

I would like to thank NetGalley and Anchor for providing me with an advance e-galley of this book in exchange for an honest review. Look for it now in your local and online bookstores and libraries.

This was a fun classic mystery read with a slightly bumbling detective with a mysterious past informing his drive to solve murder cases. The suspects in this novel were delightfully posh and snobby, which was an enjoyable aspect and made this novel easy to read. I didn't guess the killer which is a win in my book!

I thought this was a fun read! A mystery novel with aristocrats and instagram influencers.. you know this will be an entertaining read. I thought the writing was great and this was my first novel from Charlotte Vassell. Definitely will recommend this to friends!

I thought this was fun and moved quickly. It was a great mystery set in an interesting world. Really enjoyed.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for granting access to this book in exchange for my review.

I enjoyed this book. I thought it had both humor and drama. I thought the characters were very well developed. I would definitely consider reading another book by Charlotte Vassell in the future!

My blog is https://bookreviewsbyjules.blogspot.com/

Goodreads https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/44083250-julia

Instagram/bookstagram https://www.instagram.com/bookreviewsbyjules/

I couldn't decide if this book wanted to be a romp through the British countryside or an actual thriller. A murder occurs, and the characters are all pretty well written cliches of British stereotypes, but something about it fails to make it particularly interesting or compelling.

This book was just “meh” for me. I felt like I was reading it because I had to finish it instead of reading it because I wanted to finish it. I can’t quite put my finger on what it was.

Something to pick up if you're a murder mystery reader, I enjoyed this book, with mysteries of who dun it.

The author does a really good job of introducing these characters with extremely extravagant and dislikable personalities but writes them in a way that the reader continues to want to read from the perspective of these insanely rich characters.

Detective Caius Beauchamp is on an early morning jog when he discovers the body of a dead woman in the park. He’d just stumbled into the world of “the other half” as the woman was later identified as Clemency (Clemmie) O'Hara, the longtime girlfriend of Rupert. Who killed Clemmie? well, you have to read it to enjoy it. I did, Thank you.

The story line of Rupert who has his 30th birthday party as a black tie party at a McDonalds in London. The next morning his girlfriend is found murdered. While Detective Caius Beauchamp is on his morning jog he finds her body. This book takes on a humorous/satirical storyline of the British class system with mystery vibes. Everyone at the party has an alabi, but who did it? Honestly, I didn't really enjoy most of the characters and struggled to feel connected to them. This book just isnt my type, and thats okay

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an ARC in exchange for a review. This book hit the shelves on 11/21/23

I loved this book so much! It was my 3rd favorite book of 2023 and it's my favorite book of this genre. I have not stopped talking about this book since I read it and I am so excited to see Charlotte Vassell's next book. I loved the ways that this one touched on class while still being such a page turner and I will definitely be buying a physical copy to keep on my bookshelf.

This book sounded so good and I really wanted to enjoy it, but if we are being completely honest, I did not finish it. I tried the e-book and the audiobook and I could not get into either of them. I was bored and I didn't want to be.

This was a good read - I really enjoyed this book. I'm so glad that I got the chance to read it early and will definitely be recommending it to multiple people who enjoy these types of novels. I enjoyed the characters and especially enjoyed the writing by this author. I'm excited to see what the author comes out with next as I'll definitely be reading it! Thank you to the publisher for my early copy of this book!

A couple of chapters in, I considered just closing it up and being done with it. Wow, these people are overly pretentious and the author is pushing Posh-ness on us. Ahhhh, that's the point. They are overly pretentious - it's a story about class and culture. Once I stuck with it, I got into the flow. I had an idea early on who the murderer was (maybe I was supposed to?) but quite a few aspects about Clemmie, the murder, Rupert ended up taking all sorts of twists.

Many thanks to the author and NetGalley for a complimentary copy of this book. My opinions are my own.
If you are looking for a mystery about the British class system, this mystery is for you!

As we age it becomes increasingly unbelievable that the bizarre young people we read about are actually normal young people being culturally normal. For example, I recently met a federal employee with tunnel plug earrings in his ears and lavender nail polish on his fingers. Not my style but I found it amusing that I was startled.

Here we realize that the London Police force must also have young people in it. These young people are interested in the same things other young people are interested in - designer furniture, vegan food, and running regimens - and that their being young and from a different world does not interfere with their ability to solve crimes.

This book is about young coppers solving crimes involving their chronological contemporaries who happen to be filthy rich.

This book was enjoyable, but it was very England-specific which made it challenging for this American to read. It made me realize how many books I read set in England that are probably “Americanized” a bit. The way that references were used was challenging for this American reader (i.e. implying a certain context from shopping at Waitrose’s that I didn’t pick up on until Google told me that it was similar to Whole Foods.)

The pace was somewhat uneven. It was slow in the beginning but then felt like breakneck speed towards the end. There is a flashback right at the end that was incredibly confusing - it said it was five years ago but then referenced two things that had just happened in the present. It didn’t ruin the book for me, but it was distracting right at the end.

I liked Caius as a character and I will be open to checking out future installments in this series.

Thank you to the publisher - I received a complimentary eARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Thank you to NetGalley and Vintage Anchor for the ARC!

Rupert has his 30th birthday party at McDonald’s - you read that right, McDonald’s! He made it black-tie filled with champagne and cocaine. The morning after, his girlfriend Clemmie is found murdered. Who killed Clemmie?

This was a fun, satire-filled read, but I did find it predictable.

I really liked the beginning of this book and the lead investigator. The mystery was intriguing. However, the plot got a little too convoluted for me and the main character made some bizarre personal decisions on the latter half of the book. I did like the detective and would try another in this series again.

I must have missed the funny parts - I especially found Rupert to be insufferable; I couldn’t stand the way he treated anyone. There are many serious subjects touched upon in this book, I honestly am surprised that it is supposed to be humorous.

3 1/2 stars. This is a very solid debut book by this author. There were parts of it that I loved, and parts of it that made me shake my head. The character that I suppose would be considered the main female made some of the oddest decisions that I’ve come across in all of my years of reading. Overall, I enjoyed it. I don’t know that I would tell everyone I know to read it. I would give the author another chance though.