Cover Image: The Murder After the Night Before

The Murder After the Night Before

The book literally starts with a bang, and it kept me gripped from there. Wonderful funny feminist, murder, mystery – even better than her first book! Katy Brent will be a must read from here on out!

This is a brilliant read; clever, dark, witty and poignant. I really enjoyed the way the layers of truth are gradually peeled away and the ending was a total surprise. The bad/good of social media is also shown here, as is the fact that despite the years of feminism, not enough has changed. Great heroine, honestly this is a book to savour.

𝐬𝐲𝐧𝐨𝐩𝐬𝐢𝐬
Something bad happened last night. I've woken up with the hangover from hell, a stranger in my bed, and l've gone viral for the worst reasons. But I can't remember a thing... My best friend Posey is dead. The police think it was a tragic accident. I know she was murdered. There's only thing stopping me from dying of shame. I need to find a killer.

𝐦𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐬 💭
I am OBSESSED with the main character Molly, her humor, her sarcasm and her realness. I‘d love to be friends with her 🤭
In this book you can trust no one, however Molly wants to know who killed her best friend Posey. She is doing her friends‘s credit by investigating one of Posey’s cases about a missing girl, as if her life depends on it. Nevertheless, she has to handle a lot of own problems too. I loved how social media comments related to her viral video introduced every chapter, nice detail :)
Moreover, I could really feel her emotions, it was such a page turner (I literally couldn’t put it down)!
Jack is one of the cutest male characters I know 🥹
The ending was indeed shocking and profound (maybe a little too shocking for my taste). However I was stunned and will be thinking about this book for a while since it touched on lots of different topics!
If you‘re looking for a quick and hilarious read, this one‘s for you!

Thanks to NetGalley and HQ Stories for the ARC, I appreciate it. The Murder after the night before is out on the first of February.

Brilliant. I love the writing style, so easy to read and really keeps your attention.

Molly’s world is falling apart, her work Christmas do has ended in her becoming the subject of a viral video…and that’s not the worst thing that happens that night!

Molly finds herself embroiled in a murder investigation. Who can she trust? Will she get through this alive?

Great characters, gritty plot and fast paced. I was hooked start to finish!

Having loved Brent’s first novel, I was super excited to get my hands on her second… and it really didn’t disappoint!

Clear your schedule for this one, I could happily have sat and devoured it in one sitting if adult life hadn’t rudely gotten in the way.

Our main character, Molly, is really having a terrible time, waking up with what can only been described as one hell of a hangover, she’s trying to piece together her night, and doesn’t like what she finds out. That’s not even the worst of it, coming home to find her best friend dead.

This sets up a wild ride of trying to figure out what happened, both to Molly & Posey - a duo desperate to find out the truth!

Every time I thought I had it figured out, Brent through in a curve-ball! & Molly was such a great main character, flawed and so real in the best of ways, with a healthy dose of humour thrown in.

Go and get your pre-orders in, I’m already waiting impatiently for her next book!

Well that was unexpectedly enjoyable. I chose it recognising the name of the author and liking the title. I didn’t read the blurb but it was a really good read. A light hearted murder mystery so to speak, a who dunnit with some extremely serious issues thrown in alongside the main plot and yet enjoyable and on the few occasions funny in a dry wit type of way. My favourite being “Joshua Jackson”. IYKYK. I was definitely be recommending this book to everyone and I will now be looking out for Katy’s next release.

Thank you NetGalley, Katy Brand and the publishers for the opportunity to read this in return for an honest review.

I loved How to Kill Men and Get Away With It, well…, The murder After The night Before was even better!!

Oh Molly!!!!
After a Christmas works do, Molly wakes up next to a man she has no idea who he is, her day gets even worse from then on!
Molly is a great character and lots of twists and turns throughout the book. I binge read it, hard to put down.
Quite dark in places and certainly makes you think about how online content and perceptions of people.
I cannot wait to read what Katy Brent brings out next a definite go to author for me.
Thanks to NetGalley and HQ for a copy of this book.

Thank you so much to HQ Publishers and NetGalley for providing me with an ARC for this book! This was my first time reading Katy Brent and I really enjoyed her writing. It was engaging and fast-paced and fun. Molly was such an interesting character, and though her circumstances were unfortunate, they are a very real possibility in our world. I liked the way the author handled it, and how much Molly managed to accomplish and overcome in spite of it. However, I felt like the ending left something to be desired. Again, I understand the realities of being a woman, but I was hoping the actual murder reveal would be more rewarding than it was. Still, I can confidently say this was a great book and I had a good time reading it. I look forward to reading more of Katy Brent's work!

Thank you to #NetGalley for this ARC.

Loved this. Maybe even more than her Brent's first book "How to kill men and get away with it".

What's stuck with me the most since reading this story is how unrelentingly sad it is. It is sometimes quite funny too, but at it's core it is about a young and lonely woman who goes through a heartbreaking loss. The mystery aspect of the novel is quite farfetched, but where many a story never acknowledges its own farfetchedness - this one actually uses how strange the plot is as one of its core features.

Brent's first book is more of an outright wild ride, and while this one has the same humour and some of the same strangeness it feels more grounded. It's a bit like if "How to Kill Men and Get Away with It" was a person, she has now grown up and is trying to be like everyone else.

Main character Molly embodies much of what it is like being a young woman today, and does it in a way that resonates with me on a personal level. I see myself and people I know in the characters, and even though we don't have murder mysteries to solve, or a video of us being sexually assaulted online(...), I feel for us. Being an adult is HARD.

Thank you so much Katy Brent - already looking forward to whatever you read next!

This was enjoyable. I was definitely missing the spark I got from reading Brent’s other book.

There were a few things I didn’t love. The story was semi predictable, and everyone was either a total asshole or severely incompetent which made the plot line seem unbelievable. Also, the main character has total and complete trust in another character that doesn’t really make sense.

I did like the twist at the end with her dad and also I loved her happy ending. It was well deserved.

I have no bad words to say about this book. Katy Brent is a new to me author and I got this on ARC so thank you to @netgalley and @but_katy_did_it for this beauty!

I was hooked. I read this in 3 sittings. I couldn't wait to read more but was gutted when it had finished. I am very proud of myself for figuring out 2 of the twists very early on but to be honest this was bloody full of them!!!

The humour in the opening chapter alone killed me off (sorry bad choice of words given the theme haha) but also the way this book deals with grief and shame and anxiety is absolutely brilliant!

Love a bit of civilian detective work. Finally a 5 star thriller!!!! Excuse me while I go and get her other book immediately!!

Another great read from Katy Brent, author of How to Kill Men and Get Away With It (which I also really enjoyed), in this novel we’re following Molly Monroe, who wakes up one morning with an almighty hangover – but things get a lot worse as she realises her flatmate is dead. It seems Posey died accidentally in the bath, but Molly isn’t so sure…

I really liked the characterisation in this novel. Molly is good fun, likeable and entertaining. She may cock up sometimes but at heart she is a good person. I liked her investigation into what happened to Posey – it slowly unfurls as you discover more about what Posey might have been caught up in, and there are some satisfying twists (though one twist I saw coming from a mile off… but it was still good fun!)

This novel has plenty of dark humour, and although it touches on some serious topics, I think it deals with them well. I liked the ending and felt the novel stood out amongst other similar books in the same genre.

I really enjoyed The Murder After the Night Before and would recommend it to anyone looking for a fun, fast-paced, and mysterious read.

After Molly goes viral after a work Christmas Party, she wakes up to find her best friend, Posey, dead. To discover who killed her, Molly must solve the missing person’s case, Posey has been working on, to find out the truth.

This book was addictive and so easy to read. From its cover, I thought it looked fun and light. Whilst it had its lighter moments, once I started reading, I was surprised at the presence of the points Katy Brent made around misogyny, not just in the media and justice system but wider society. It made me angry. The author does a great job at balancing the heaviness of the themes with the pace of the story. A definite must-read.

I loved this book. It’s like a funny murder mystery of who killed Posey Porter. There were so many twists and turns in this book and so many possible suspects almost reminded me a bit of midsummer murders in that respect lol. Everytime I thought I knew who had done it, it couldn’t have been them, really kept me on my toes and I just couldn’t put it down!!

I’ve received this as an ARC to review with my honest opinion. I wanted to read this book because I read and loved her first book, How to Kill Men and Get Away With It. Thank you to @NetGalley and the publisher for giving me this opportunity.

Molly woke up shit faced and had a strange man in her bed and had gone viral for all the wrong reasons. Whilst still in a tailspin dealing with that, she discovered her best friend murdered. They think it’s an accident but Molly thinks murder. She has to find answers! How to Kill Men and Get Away With It was one of my favorite books last year and this one isn’t too far behind it. It’s laugh out loud funny with its dark humor while also having you feel what this poor girl is feeling. It’s very relatable as a woman in this day and age.
This story is about the manipulation and pull the wealthy, the power of social media and how a short clip of you doing something regrettable when drunk could have dangerous repercussions. It was very fast paced and gripped me right from the start. The twists and turns were pretty unpredictable and I appreciate that in a murder mystery. I was constantly trying to figure it out and just when I thought I had, nope, another puzzle piece was thrown at me taking the story in another direction. Everytime I thought I figured it out, I was wrong and that very refreshing because I’m usually very good at figuring out who dun it! That twist at the ending was a definite shocker! I highly recommend to all of my thriller loving friends. You won’t be disappointed!

I've read Katy Brent's "How To Kill Men And Get Away With It" and absolutely loved the dark humour in her writing. Her new novel "The Murder After the Night Before" is every bit as dark with the perfect amount of humour to balance out the raw emotions of the plot.

I tore threw this book in 2 afternoons, which is quite something for me. The plot completely reeled me in from the first chapter and I just had to get to the end to find out what happened to Molly and Posey and why. I felt so connected to these characters it was almost like I was right there in the thick of it.

I loved that this story was part thriller, mixed with murder mystery and comedy. Katy is a talented writer to pull off balancing this mix of genres and still making this a credible story. The social media aspect of the plot made the book relatable and relevant. It's easy to see how these things can quickly spiral out of control.

All in all I thought this was an entertaining and gripping read. I can't wait to see what Katy Brent will bring us next but I will definitely be first in line to read it.

Thank you to @HQStories and @netgalley for providing me with an ARC to read and review.

It's been a while since I've read something so laugh-out-loud funny whilst being incredibly contemporary in its stance towards women.

Brent is a sensational storyteller with a vibe that keeps you wanting more.

Holly Jackson meets Sophie Kinsella. It was a shame to have finished it.

My expectations were really high as her previous novel was so good and this one did not disappoint. Molly wakes up with a stranger in her bed and a starring row in a national "scandal". To rub salt in the wound her best friend/flatmate has also been found dead by her.
And so begins this dark twisted mystery which drew me in completely

If you suffer from hangxiety read this book because at least you’ve never done THAT on a night out ! After reading her first book ‘How to kill men and get away with it’ I knew I wanted to read more from this author and this book did not disappoint! This book is a dark humorous twisty murder mystery that you won’t be able to put down it had me gripped right to the very last page !

Thanks to NetGalley for the arc! The murder after the night before is out February 2024

Milly Monroe wakes up with the hangover from hell, a stranger in her bed and she’s gone viral for the worst reasons. She has no memory at all and to top it off, her best friend is dead. The police say it was a tragic accident but Molly is determined to find out the truth. It’s a fast paced read and you find yourself going through all the emotions with Molly’s character. She’s brash, funny, annoying but also addictive. Dark humour with a twisty murder plot, I would rate this book 4 stars. Thank you to NetGalley, HQ and the author for the chance to review.