Cover Image: Lies and Weddings

Lies and Weddings

Rufus would be happy to live out his life in a surf shack in Hawaii, creating art and lifting up local artists, but as the future Duke of Greshambury, his family has different plans for him. His mother & sisters have cooked up a scheme for him to marry a French heiress with a royal bloodline, despite his feelings for the girl next door (literally). When it is up to him to save the family name and fortune, who should he pick: royalty, venture capitalist, or doctor?

Another funny and binge-worthy read about high society by Crazy Rich Asians author Kevin Kwan. I just love his style of writing -- a plot I want to devour in one sitting (I read until 6am, took a nap, and finished it immediately upon waking up) mixed with humor, fashion, and escapism. Such a fun read, full of twists and turns along the way. I have no idea if this has been optioned or not, but I truly hope I get to see it unfold on the big screen.

Thank you to NetGalley and Doubleday Books for the digital advance reader copy.

So, I think you're either a Kevin Kwan fan or you're not.

His books are about the ultra-uberwealthy - people so fantastically wealthy that ordinary folks can't even imagine their lives. He name drops artists and fashion houses and architects and more throughout the story. He creates unbelievable settings that are truly beyond belief, and yet you can almost imagine someone somewhere spending money this extravagantly.

In short, if escaping into a romantic satire of the very, very rich isn't your cup of tea, don't pick this up.

I'll be honest, I didn't love it, but I did enjoy the completely escapist nature of it.

Eden Tong has lived an ordinary life in a cottage on the Greshambury estate, growing up alongside the uberwealthy Gresham children. Now, things are falling financially apart for the Greshams, and the oldest son, Rufus, is being pressured by his mother to marry rich - very, very, very rich - even though he wants to marry Eden, who is now a doctor. The story moves from Hawaii, the UK, LA, and Venice, as Rufus and Eden find their way to each other and survive the wild escapades of their friends and family.

There are villains to hate, a romantic hero and heroine to root for, and a story opener that may have your jaw dropping.

It's over-the-top. It's a soap opera on steroids. It's Jane Austen antics with Elon Musk money.

While it does explore the systemic racism of the wealthy and the ethics of being uberwealthy, it does so with a satirical, and sometimes, heavy hand.

All in all, I enjoyed it. I find Kwan's book to be almost pure escapism and I enjoy the excessiveness of his stories, but your mileage may vary depending on how many rich-people-problems you can take.

*strong language throughout, graphic sexual references

Another fun, crazy and over-the-top book from Kevin Kwan! I am a big fan of Kwan since reading the Crazy Rich Asians trilogy and really love his style of humor mixed with real and genuinely good plot.

On its' own, this was a fun and entertaining story. A true romcom that starts off with a wedding next to an actively erupting volcano. This story centers around Doctor Eden Tong and the esteemed and wealthy Gresham family she's been beholden to her whole life. Kwan takes us on a wild ride that is wonderfully humorous and unpredictable.

As a part of Kwan's repertoire, I loved the easter eggs and references to his other novels that anyone who has read them will appreciate, and would make anyone who hasn't curious. This definitely falls strictly in the romcom category, which is why I personally rank it below his other books which felt like they had more of an underlying message.

While Kevin Kwan may never top CRA, this is definitely one you won't want to miss.

In classic crazy rich Asian style, Kevin kwan again brings us into the lives of a high society family, this time an English lord who is secretly broke, his Chinese model wife who wants to marry their children well to be accepted in European society, the oldest daughter who would rather her wedding be a simple beach affair instead of the party of the century and opening to her mothers new resort, the youngest daughter with her Instagram following, and the prodigal son who’s in love with the girl next door but whose family want him to marry rich and titled. Plenty of drama, name dropping, and exploring if family expectations are really the way to live your life.

I'll admit, I haven't read much of Kevin Kwan after the CRA trilogy, but this book seems to be back in that same vein. It's full of drama, scheming, and secrets.

This reminded me a bit of Crazy rich Asians here and there but that could also be because it is always on my mind because it is a favorite. No matter what Kevin Kwan wrote another amazing book and I enjoyed my time while reading it. Of course who wouldn’t when there is an active volcano that is going on in a resort in during the book! From Hong Kong to Hawaii all the fun will be had. It also kept my attention going to and from the flashbacks from the beginning of the book (time line beginning in 1995) to the present day. All the characters were likeable, except Rufus’s mother Arabella who even laid out his clothing like he was a child and told him not to even change out his shoes! I really can’t wait to see what Kevin Kwan does next!

Kevin Kwan is my guilty pleasure. He takes me back to my teenage years when I devoured Jilly Cooper and Jackie Collins in a single sitting. I dreamed of a glamorous life filled with riches and dreamy men. I have my own dreamy man now and a very comfortable life but I still love to be whisked away to the excess lifestyles of the Uber wealthy. And Kwan has not disappointed with his new novel.
More scary Chinese mothers, (mostly) complaint children, and weddings that scream decadence and ridiculousness in equal measures. Eden is at the center of all the crazy but manages to remain pure of heart, gentle in nature, and appalled by the squandering of millions on things like ice palaces on Hawaiian volcanoes.
Written in the same dry humor as his previous books, you will be amazed and amused in equal measures. Kwan excels at describing rich, elaborate scenes that draw you into the mega millionaire and billionaires world.
Thank you Netgalley for the ARC. I thoroughly enjoyed every page.

These books all have a bit of a pattern, but this was significantly better than Kwan’s last standalone book, and the characters were fun.

As usual, the weddings were over the top, the name dropping was constant, and there were secrets aplenty. I kinda love the opulence and extravagance in these books and the East-meets-West drama he is starting to bring in has been a fun twist.

I did like the main character and appreciated that the central relationship was relatively free of drama, which is one reason I like his books (I’m not a big fan of romantic tension because it usually involves miscommunication which always annoys me).

The upcoming release from Crazy Rich Asians author, Kevin Kwan is another delightful read and will be a perfect summer reading list book! The Gresham family is headed up by their father, the Earl of Greshambury and their mother, a former Hong Kong supermodel who is the one who has taken on the responsibility of positioning her family for the future. Unfortunately for the Greshams, while they are British aristocracy, their funds have been completely depleted. Rufus, the son and future Earl, is feeling the heat from his mother to marry and marry well. Rufus turns to his long time best friend and literal girl next door, Eden. The book is all the fun and luxury of Crazy Rich Asians with the cars, clothes, travel combined with British country homes and aristocracy. If you loved Crazy Rich Asians, put this on your list!

I'll read anything Kevin Kwan writes. After being slightly disappointed by Sex and Vanity, it seems he's back in Crazy Rich Asians form. It's the perfect amount of decadence, fun, fashion, and petty. And the plot hums along nicely.

I eat up the rich setting and the crazy people that inhabited it (hello The Real Housewives of ____) But Kwan has a knack of making his characters likeable and his stories are just hilarious. I really enjoyed this and would recommend it!

“It’s just that I’m in love with you."

Lies and Weddings is a whirlwind tale of family drama, jet-setting, opulent lifestyles, and love stories that will have you gritting your teeth in frustration, cackling in laughter, and gasping in shock non-stop.

while it follows many different characters and perspectives, I did find the book to be a little slow at times, but it didn't take away from the grandeur of it all!

this and that:
♡ art
♡ childhood friends-to-lovers
♡ fashion
♡ globetrotting
♡ high society
♡ hot air balloons
♡ money on money on money
♡ secrets

☞ microagressions
☞ racism
☞ toxic parents

notable quotes:
・When someone has seen you empty your bowels into a hole you have just dug in the sand with your bare hands, I don’t think they have to call you ‘Serene Highness’ anymore.”

・Rufus couldn’t seem to take his eyes off the nobody.

・“Not a chance, I’ll be loyal to you forever. There’s no one in the entire world I’d ever marry except you. You’re going to be my countess.”

・“It’s just that I’m in love with you.”

・“I’m utterly, crazily in love with you”

・“Beauty attracts fortune. Your greatest asset now is your beautiful son.”

・He had a sense that this woman...was somehow going to change his life as well.

・This whole city, she realized, was tinged with sadness.

・“You’re not rushing. I’m in love with you, silly rabbit.”

・“It’s time you realized something, Mother. The only woman I will ever marry is...”

thank you to Doubleday Books for sending me an early copy for review!

Fantastic book! Great story told in movements that capture the intricate and overlapping stories of multiple families and generations. Kwan makes funny and biting observations about money, class, race and their effects on people. It’s just a fun read and a great book. I especially loved the ridiculous endnote notations and school listings.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an ARC in exchange for my honest review.

As always, Kevin Kwan’s writing is a delight. The author knows how to create endearing characters, crazy opulent settings, and heart-rendering stories that make you want to keep flipping pages to find out what happens next. And it seems like the season of crazy rich wedding books, as I just read this on the heels of Paradise Problem by Christina Lauren, both of which I would highly recommend to everyone. And on the heels of my very own, the opposite of opulent wedding! I read this book on my honeymoon.

I can’t wait to see what Kevin Kwan does next. His books are autoreads for me and this new book cements his status on this list for me. Can they also make this book into a movie or tv show? It lends itself well to the screen. Can’t wait to see what’s next!

Absolutely love this author…he never disappoints!
Highly recommend this hilarious Rom-Com. I couldn’t put it down and read the entire book in a few hours.

Kevin Kwan is back with his stories of wealthy Asian families trying to manage their wealth, social appearances, and family lines. Much of it is hilarious, and I love the window into cultural norms. Grab this one for a lighthearted, outside-of-the-norm beach read.

I was thrilled when I received the galley for "Lies and Weddings," and it certainly lived up to my expectations. It embodies the classic Kevin Kwan style, reminiscent of "Crazy Rich Asians," yet it ventures into new territory of its own. Once again, Kwan presents characters who are delightfully over the top, accompanied by his trademark hilarious footnotes, and set against stunning backdrops. Whether you're a fan of "Crazy Rich Asians" or simply seeking an immersive escape, "Lies and Weddings" is a must-read. Many thanks to Netgalley and Doubleday for providing the ARC.

This was a fun read that feels exactly like "Crazy Rich Asians" but with enough new elements to differentiate itself. All of the characters seem to have a CRA counterpart, but the two stories feel sufficiently different. I enjoyed the flashback portions at the beginning of each section, which heightened the mystery. The variety of ways in which some chapters were written was also entertaining. The book does highlight and hint at some commentary on very serious and real, pressing issues, but the overall tone is fun and lighthearted. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoyed the Crazy Rich Asians series, and anyone looking for a light read with lots of drama and scandal.

Lies and Weddings is the first book that I've read by Kevin Kwan. While a little slow moving at times, I enjoyed this story about Eden and Rufus, and their families. The book takes you all over the globe to observe British aristocracy and Hong Kong billionaires as they travel between the English countryside, Hawaiian resorts, Venetian palazzos, and everywhere in between. Characters include a mother who just wants the "best" for her children, down to Earth billionaire who helps her friends, doctors for the NHS, an artist/viscount, and many more who take you on this journey to exotic locations. (4.5/5 stars)

I loved this book! I wasn’t sure what to expect going in, but it sucked me in. It certainly had many similarities to crazy rich asians, but since I loved that series, that wasn’t a bad thing.