Cover Image: Manga Classics: Emma

Manga Classics: Emma

I must begin by stating that this graphic novel has beautiful artwork. Emma, while not my favorite of Jane Austen's works, is an intriguing story nonetheless, and it is told beautifully in the manga format.

This format is a quick and easy way to read and understand this wonderful classic. It brings out Emma's selfish nature and Knightley's caring one. Despite never having liked the character Emma, she is illustrated in a way that gives her more depth. Knightley was also well developed, although it being no fault of this adaptation he could use a bit more page time.

Overall this story was well formatted for this medium. I recommend it to Austenites and those who would like to read the classics, but just don't have the time. The graphic format makes it a much quicker read.

I received this book from the publisher, via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.
This is such an interesting way to get classics into kids hands!
If you have read Emma by Jane Austen then you know what this book is about. And if you haven’t read it, then you still probably know what this is about. I enjoyed reading this and it was an interesting format to give me a good change of pace. If you haven’t read this well loved classic because you either tried and couldn’t get into it or this doesn’t seem like your type of read, then I recommend giving the Manga version a try. The pictures give it a whole other level to the story.
This is a fantastic, engaging, modern way to bring a classic to the next generation. It was a wonderful adaptation come with me if he changes, and a quick  easy read. I will be sending copies of this to my nieces, and highly recommending it to bring Jane Austen to a whole new generation. Please keep up the good work turn classics into Manga.
Another great addition to the Manga Classics series!  The twists and turns of love in Emma make it a perfect story to tell in manga style.  I haven't actually read the novel Emma, so I can't speak to how faithfully this book re-presents the story.  This Manga edition is a fabulous read & a good addition to any Jane Austen or manga collection.
The style is very shoujo and I like it very much. The only thing that I disagree with is the story itself but since this is based on a classic, I will not put it here.
True to story manga adaptation of the classic novel, Emma.  Characters are tastefully drawn in the traditional manga form.  I enjoyed seeing this classic story in a different format. It didn't scrimp on the story in the slightest, running over 300 pages long...if you know the classic story, this will be quite familiar...if you've shied away because of the of the old English format and verbiage...this might be a good way to see the story in a new light. The images can help bring together things that might have been confusing in a straight read.
At times the art can feel a bit heavy and distracting, but overall it's a beautiful and faithful rendition of the original tales.
Emma is one of my favorite Austen novels and the gorgeous art drew me into the story and made it much easier to digest than the plain novel. I am a very visual reader and so it really helped keep my attention and understand the novel better as a whole. I loved how the art was used to further show the personalities of the characters. Overall, a fantastic edition to those who love classics but can find novels dry or boring.
I was really looking forward to reading this Manga Classic story but ended up being a little underwhelmed with it. I didn't/still don't really know much about the original Emma by Jane Austen and i might still give that one a try. the story was a fast read, but to much happened too soon that it became confusing.
Emma is only the second Manga Classic rewriting that I read (the first one was Pride and Prejudice) and I must say that I liked Pride and Prejudice better. I think, however, that this slight preference of mine is due to the fact that the story and the tone of the original Pride and Prejudice are better suited for a comic adaptation. Adapting Emma in this form was no easy task at all, and truth be told, once again I am really impressed with Po Tse's and Crystal S. Chan's work.
Another recommended little jewel from Manga Classics.
Reallly great...as always Emma is a know it all and won't listen to her own advice lol. She also is a bit of a bully I've always thought.  I loved it.
I have a medical condition which can mean that I find reading difficult sometimes (I know, ironic for a book blogger!), so I have avoided denser texts and classic books over the past few years. However, I really enjoyed the way that this comic maintained the classic feel while modernising it. I read it very quickly and enjoyed it immensely. I would recommend this to anyone who may not have engaged with classics before, someone who wants to read a classic more quickly, or those who may struggle to read sometimes. The graphics were STUNNING. I would love a poster of the front cover to this. So much effort was put in to every single character and there was an incredible amount of detail throughout.
This is a very interesting and new way to enjoy Austen's work. We approached this title with an open mind and found that it was a very fresh take on the classic 'Emma' story.
Firstly the artwork in the book is fantastic and really brings to life the personality's of each of the characters.
This is an ambitious piece of work as the story of 'Emma' has so many twists and turns that we thought it could be difficult to convey the story in this style. But we were happy to find that all of the major plot points were there and that this manga style has a lovely charm all of its own.
We would recommend that you give this book a chance, especially if you are a fan of Jane Austen.
Loved this adaptation. Brings a classic to life in a way that is easier for my students (middle school English language learners) can understand. Beautiful illustrations  I will recommend books in this manga classics series to my students for sure!
Like Pride and Prejudice, this is a fantastic introduction to the classic for learners at the K-12 level. The manga adaptation makes it both accessible and appealing for a younger audience. I would absolutely adopt this text for the classroom.
I don't think I enjoyed this manga classic as much as the others as I started off reading it with a bit of confusion and I didn't like the protagonist at first either. But gradually I started to like Emma and hoped she would realise her feelings for Mr Knightly.

Overall, nicely portrayed in manga form.
I was surprised by this combination: english classic literature with  japanese popular culture in the form of manga comics. It was strange to read backwards (the correct way to read manga is explained in the book) but I got used to it. I read Pride and Prejudice and Emma by Jane Austen and Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë. The stories are all true to the original, mixed with the expressiveness of the characters drawn with the typical manga big eyes. There's also humor in the illustrations. It's a different reading. It's fun to see the classics you know translated in a different art form.
Excellent graphic style, the script however did not manage to liven up what is basically a not very stimulating plot. So, if you love anything Austen this comic is for you, if you look for something more engaging than English countrylife in the early 19th century that does not however entail the social clashes and sometimes angsty atmosphere of "Pride and Prejudice", you might try other titles. I personally hope another Jane Austen's novel like "Persuasion" will be the next pursuit of this publisher.
I’ve been pleasantly surprised to discover that I enjoy a good graphic novel. A few years ago I would have thought that statement was an oxymoron. I really like how Manga Classics both retells and illustrates great works of Literature. Emma is my favorite Austen work and I found this edition of the story to be most charming and a treat to read.
After reading a couple of the books in this Manga Classics collection, I decided to take a look at the other titles available on NetGalley. I've never read the original novel by Jane Austen, but I hadn't read Great Expectations either before reading the manga adaptation.

As usual with these adaptations, I'm not going to focus too much on the story as that was down to the original author, not the author of this particular adaptation. Here's a quick synopsis though, in case you're not familiar with the novel:

Emma Woodhouse is a single young lady living with her father. She prides herself for her ability to see into the hearts and minds of others, and her matchmaking capabilities. Her governess has just recently married a man Emma set her up with, after all. When she acquires the friendship of Harriet, she believes herself capable of matching her with a suitable gentleman. But it turns out to be a lot more difficult than she anticipated.

And her own mind - once set on remaining single and unmarried forever - is suddenly rather confused...

It is, clearly, a romance novel. But it's not just a boy-meets-girl kinda thing. It's a typical Austen novel, I think, with all the misguided affections and complicated love stories all tangled up.

This adaptation is wonderful; I'm a big fan of this collection. As I've said before, it helps you understand the story and characters a lot better, and is really useful for people who aren't that fond of classic literature. The author manages to keep the original tone and language (mostly) intact, while still making it a lot easier to understand and relate to. The art is fantastic, too; it really expresses the different moods and scenes, and the feelings of each character.

I'd easily give this 4 stars out of 5. I really think this collection is worth looking at, whether you're interested in classic novels or not.