Manga Classics: Emma

Emma

Pub Date 03 Jul 2015 | Archive Date 05 Sep 2017

When her former governess finds happiness as the bride of a local widower, the brilliant and beautiful Emma Woodhouse — one of Jane Austen's immortal creations — flatters herself that she alone has secured the marriage and that she possesses a special talent for bringing lovers together. The young heiress next busies herself with finding a suitable husband for her friend and protégé, Harriet Smith, setting off an entertaining sequence of comic mishaps and misunderstanding in thissparkling comedy of English- village romance. Beneath its considerable wit, the novel is also the story of a young woman's progress toward self-understanding.

A Note From the Publisher

Please note that Emma is presented in the Manga back-to-front format.

Please note that Emma is presented in the Manga back-to-front format.

Marketing Plan

Pitch to major review media
Target marketing to Jane Austen fan community

ISBN 9781927925355
PRICE CA$26.95 (CAD)

'Manga Classics: Emma' is another stellar addition to the Manga Classics line. The illustrations are by Po Tse, who also illustrated Manga Classics: Pride & Prejudice, and the story adaptation is a spot on adaptation of the Jane Austen classic. Emma Woodhouse is intent on matching up her friends and avoiding getting married herself. Her newest project is poor Harriet. Harriet doesn't know her background, but Emma is sure she is better than the farmer that Harriet seems to like. Emma's friend Knightley watches from the sidelines and shakes his head as Emma makes one blunder after another. Along the way, will Emma find herself the victim of love or will she be able to dodge Cupid's arrows? I didn't realize it, but this year is the 200th anniversary of the book 'Emma.' It's really no wonder that this story has endured, and it's seen a lot of incarnations over the years, from faithful movie productions to Hollywood teen movies to this manga. The story is told faithfully and lovingly here. The art is good, and it's easy to keep the characters separated since Po Tse has designed each to be unique. There are character model sheets scattered in between some of the chapters, and the book finishes with some good critical analyses of the book. Don't worry if you don't know how to read manga, this book gives you a perfect guideline (as do all the Manga Classics). You will find it easy within no time to comfortably adapt and read these great classics. I received a review copy of this manga from Udon Entertainment, Manga Classics, and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you for allowing me to review this wonderful manga.

I must say I am a huge Jane Austen fan and this adaptation of one of her iconic novels did not disappoint. The drawings were very detailed and the scenes drawn around the characters not only kept in line with the common features of a manga but, they were able to incorporate exquisite 1800s style settings that Jane Austen was so famous for. The Dialogue within the manga was a great aid as it anchored the story and Emma's personal thoughts that were expressed in much the same style kept the story grounded to its original trajectory. This Manga edition will not only be a great edition to manga but also to the classics world. Stacy King has equipt younger readers and general readers, who struggle to force themselves through a dense classic, the opportunity to experience the grandeur and great eloquence of this beautiful classic. No one shall ever have miss out on experiencing the true glory and greatness of iconic classics with Stacy King and those similar to her being so talented at transforming a dense and quite inaccessible piece of literature for some into a beautifully crafted edition of the novel that simplifies the tale yet does not allow it to lose any of its message or right as a literary classic. Truly extraordinary and I cannot wait to read more of them.

This book is such a great image based book for such a great classic. The art style is absolutely amazing and part of the reason why I was drawn to this book in the first place. Every page blew me away with the art and just how easy it was to understand the book with the manga style. I think this book was a great idea and I highly rate it 5 out of 5 stars and hope everyone who loves classic novels and manga (like myself) picks up this book and reads it

Another classic that gets the manga treatment. Following in the series after Les Miz, Pride & Prejudice, The Scarlet Letter & Great Expectations comes Emma. Read in the usual format of back to front, Right to left and anticlockwise, this one like all the others in this series sports gorgeous artwork and illustration. 'Emma' coincidentally happens to be one classic that is quite easy to get into as well and her attempts at matchmaking have always been hilarious to say the least. So it was a bit disconcerting at first to see the characters sporting such outrageously hilarious expressions but I got used to it quickly and enjoyed reading Emma's escapades throughout the story. Another great offering to all readers alike looking to re-discover something in this timeless Jane Austen classic. Great job by Stacy King, Po Tse and Crystal Chan translating Miss Austen's manuscript into this fun and intricately detailed and gorgeous adaptation. "A gorgeous and funny manga adaptation"

Having just finished reading the Marvel Illustrated version of Emma, I figured why not try the Manga Classics version! I received a copy from Udon Entertainment in return for my honest opinion with no compensation. And let me tell you, I am very glad I requested it! The closest thing I've ever come to reading manga is watching Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z in high school and I never thought I would actually read one. I'm glad however, that I happened to listen to this Good Job, Brain! podcast the week before I read this! I felt so knowledgeable going in. This won't be a side-by-side comparison of the two graphic adaptations of Jane Austen's Emma, but I'm sure I will refer to the major differences between the two. But first, let's start with how to read manga. 2015 05-04 How to Read Manga (Screen shot of the "how to page") I knew going in that you read back-to-front and right-to-left, but the editors at Udon entertainment were very savvy and gave a quick how-to guide at the actual front of the book (not the manga front). This was great because you might know back-to-front, but not right to left! It was a two page spread and was really nice to see. There was one layout problem in that one of the first traditional pages said to go to the back of the book, but then when I finished reading I couldn't figure out how to read the about the author, editor and illustrator pages.I wasn't sure which to read first or where to flip as I'd spent the entire book flipping "backwards." I almost wish it would've had instructions for that too! (This may have just been a problem as it was on my iPad and not a physical book. Now for what I REALLY enjoyed about this adaptation: 2015 09-05 Manga Emotions (Screen shot of Emma) Obviously not the boobage, but the super dramatic over-the-top emotions and spotlights. I mean they were so ridiculously over the top you couldn't help but appreciate the amount of emotions Austen put into the original. King, Chan and Po Tse (is it one name like Madonna, a first and last name or what?) put into this adaptation. I read most of the about sections and I actually appreciated that they put more emphasis on the subtle story you're not supposed to know until you've read the book the first time. It made the story that much better, to me at least. Where this version pulls ahead of the Marvel Illustrated Emma is in the amount of the story they get into the adaptation. The Manga Classics version doesn't stay as true to the dialogue, but it fits so many more of the minor details of the original into the story. These aren't details that are vital to the story, but that add flavor to the various characters' personalities (like Mrs. Weston's pregnancy or Mr. and Mrs. John Knightley's other children). Aesthetically, I preferred the Marvel Illustrated version. I think this is because it is full color (see the podcast about why manga isn't in color traditionally), but also because I find the rounder faces to be more attractive on the male characters. That being said, the manga version read a lot faster and I felt flowed a lot better even with chapter breaks and change of scenery. I think all of these graphic adaptations are excellent additions to the classics. I don't think someone should read one in place of a classic, but I think they are an excellent tool to introduce people to the classics. I have no doubt some people will read any number of the graphic adaptations and want to know the full stories and thus go on to read the original work, so kudos! Recommendation: Definitely check it out! It was a fun and very quick read. I can't wait to get my hands on the Manga Classics: Pride and Prejudice. I hope they adapt all of the novels because I'd love to see their take on Mansfield Park and Persuasion, neither of which Marvel Illustrated adapted :-(

I received a copy from the publishers via Net Galley. Emma Woodhouse and her father now live alone now that her governess, who she helped set up, has married. She has set her sights on trying to set up her new friend Harriet. Emma is concerned about people’s status, and although the social class Harriet is unknown, Emma is determined to set her up with someone in good standing because she believes that Harriet’s character shows she has a similar background. Mr. Knightley, a friend of Emma’s, encourages a farmer to pursue Harriet, but Emma has other plans in mind. Emma, herself, as vowed never to marry because of her father’s particular way of liking to live. Will Emma’s matchmaking schemes backfire? I have only read a few classics and have never finished one by Jane Austin. When I was about thirteen or so, I tried reading Pride and Prejudice, but I think I wasn’t at a mature enough level to truly enjoy reading a classic. When I was about eighteen, I started to read a small handful of classics and enjoyed them quite a bit. I was so excited when I saw this cover on Net Galley. I love reading manga and thought this would be a good way to reintroduce myself to Jane Austen’s world. I truly loved the artwork, and the artwork is one thing that draws more to manga. I can get really picky about drawings in manga and was not disappointed by the artwork. Mr. Knightley was my favorite character in this book. He is one of the only ones that even tries to reign in Emma. I really didn’t like her at first because of how she viewed people’s standing. She does at least know she has that problem and does apologize once in the book when Mr. Knightley points out what happens. I hope there are plans of doing Jane Eyre because that is my favorite classic that I have read so far. Hopefully, if readers like reading the manga, they will try reading the original.

Emma has never been my favorite Jane Austen novel - that title belongs to Pride and Prejudice (with Northanger Abbey coming in at second place). Emma always seemed like a spoiled brat to me, and I never really connected with her as a heroine. What the manga did that the original did not was make Emma a relatable character that I actually liked. By literally seeing her expressions and reading her thoughts, she turned from a spoiled brat into a more misguided character who was actually trying (for the most part) to do the right thing. What makes it a great romance is that Emma, as fallible as she is, is honestly likable, and it's easy to understand why Mr. Knightly has fallen for her. Plus, we get to see more of Mr. Knightly, as he realizes his feelings, and deals with jealousy and concern. It's great. I love Mr. Knightly. What I like the most is that the illustrations fully enhance the story, rather than just retell a classic. 4.5 out of 5 stars - would have gotten all 5 if Emma was truly my favorite.

Manga Classics: Emma by Jane Austen, Stacey King and Crystal S. Chan Star rating: ★★★★★ 5/5 stars Format: ebook galley Summary: A manga adaptation of Jane Austen’s book Emma, Emma Woodhouse believes herself to be a skilled matchmaker but her matchmaking is more meddlesome than anything else. Review: I received a galley for review from Udon Entertainment via NeyGalley. While I’m not as familiar with Emma as other Austen works I thought this was a really good adaptation. It was fun to read and the art was great. I don’t think anything significant to the story was left out which is important. I think the art made it more clear how meddling and ridiculous Emma is for most of the book. I liked the character designs and the clothes were great. As a fan of Jane Austen I thought the manga was a great new media to enjoy. I could see myself rereading this several times. I would recommend this to my friends that enjoy Austen to read. Definitely cool and I would like to read more from the Manga Classics series. Recommendation: If you’re a Jane Austen fan this is some great new media to enjoy her stories.

Very beautiful Manga. I really enjoyed how wonderfully drawn this was and how well it actually followed the story of Jane Austen. It's got a very wonderful sort of whimsical drawing style, and those who have read the original classic, you will really enjoy this Manga. Also, if you aren't a fan of classics I can see you having a new love for it, and possibly even pick it up just because of this Manga.

My first foray into Manga Classics was with Pride & Prejudice. Emma is actually my favorite Austen story, but I preferred the manga adaptation of Pride & Prejudice more. With Emma's adaptation here, I feel like Emma was made to be more annoying than she has been made in previous adaptations as well as the original book itself. She wasn't awful, of course, and could even be adorable at times. I think part of it may be how young she was drawn. She had the appearance of a 14-15 year old girl, so it made some of her immature antics seem even younger. Another character's depiction I had a slight problem with was Knightley. His goatee was too pointy and silly; it made him look like a villain. That said, I do always enjoy the plot of Emma, and this manga adaptation did well with keeping it true to the original book.

Another great story comes alive by the amazing artwork of this team. You could feel Emma's jealousy and anger. But also her love and kindness came over greatly.

Emma is a young woman who has convinced herself that she shall never marry, for she is content with the way her life is. She is also convinced that she is a kiler matchmaker, and is determined to help friends and aquaintances find their true love. She has made a new friend, Harriet, who has unknown social standing, but Emma convinces her that she deserves a high standing husband. Emma sometimes fails to take others feelings into account, which leads to heartbreak and misunderstanding in several cases. Frank comes to town, and Emma is excited to see him, for he is surounded by much mystery and intigue, and Emma tells herself that if she were to marry someone it would be someone like him. Jane is another person who comes to town, but Emma greets her with much less enthusiam. Emma's matchmaking schemes unfold, and create much trouble for everyone. I give this 4 out of 5 stars. I did not give this the last star, because the story was somewhat predictable, and I like to have a bit more surprise, but overall the story was rather enjoyable. I really loved the plot line. I love stories where there are rather independent girls, and they are totally oblivious to who is in love with who. Once again the art that acompanies the story is magnificent. I loved that Emma was so sweet and trying to make things better, but was really oblivious, and made things worse. I didn't really like that there wasn't much surprise in the story, but I still really enjoyed the novel. I would reconmend this to those who enjoy classic books, and want to see a fresh take on Emma, or to those who want to read Emma, but can't get around all of the outdated writing and language, or don't like to read, for this requires minimal reading. Quote of the book "If a woman doubts wether or not she should accept a man, then she certaintly ought to refuse him." (Austen 269)

The older fashioned art added a much needed touch to this classic story told in Manga form. While Classics aren't my chosen go to reads I did find that the change to Manga made the story a bit more interesting to me. More interesting to someone who struggles with longer genre books, especially for a slower reader like myself. Plus the visuals help on some things you may not understand like types of items that have a different name than we're used too. I very much enjoyed this and will pick up a copy when I'm able to add to my Manga collection.

My story with Jane Austen began with the cinematographic adaptations of her works. I watched Emma's movie in 1996, I found it very romantic , but I created a certain impatience with the character because of this I never got excited in reading the book, but now I saw that there was the Manga and I risked... I did not regret !!!!! The manga transmits much more interestingly the anxieties and joys of Emma, ​​a girl who finds herself somewhat lost after the marriage of her confidant and governess Miss Taylor, a marriage that Emma attributes to herself the powers of cupid For having helped the couple to approach . It is in this moment of discouragement that comes the naive Harriet that enchants by the spontaneous and eloquent way of Emma and ends up becoming the new objective of life of Emma. Because of Harriet's inexperience, Emma takes responsibility for directing Harriet, even in terms of love. From this point on, the writer throws us into Emma's ventures and misadventures toward her self-knowledge and discoveries along with her best friend Mr. Knightley, a gentle and dedicated man who tries to make the girl stop wanting to Control the lives of the people around her. His explanation of how Harriet sees Emma is fantastic in the manga .... The story is extremely fun and light and the richness of detail of the plot is presented in graphics full of symbologies and elements that enrich the understanding of the central message, highlight to the pages in which the designer presents the physical characteristics of the characters. What I also found interesting in this version was that the writer who adapted the work (Cristal S. Chan) makes a point of explaining all the nuances of the story at the end of the book, such as: the symbols and mysteries of love and the questions of being Considered a work with elements of a detective story. Which made the story much more attractive than the film for cinema, and made me lose my initial suspicion with Emma, ​​because as the story here is presented more fully with much more scenes and moments that explain several situations, it was Very easy to understand the character. Emma's manga is much more expressive, and thanks to it, I lost that impression that the girl was futile, self-centered and egotistical. I could see how she was only immature and dreamy, and gradually I saw all the maturation of her throughout the story and began to hope that the protagonist had the end of dreams. Also, thanks to the manga, I was able to understand the character Jane Fairfax, a girl who in the film is not presented in the correct way implying that out of nowhere she is involved with Frank Churchill, their relationship is much stronger and was built over the years In which they are known. The emblematic scene in which mr. Knightley quarrels with Emma on the day of the walk in the countryside, generating all character anguish shows subtly the involvement of Jane and Frank and why Emma's attitude angered Knighley. The cover is a real invitation to the work, showing well the cupid slope of Emma and all the romanticism of the plot, with hearts, flowers, aura and the typical arch and arrow of the mythical character. Recommended for everyone, especially for those who like this genre and for those who have difficulty reading the original work because of all the formalism of writing. Kisses, Myl

Yet another classic favourite of mine retold as a manga. The artwork is stunning and it's such a delight to see all the beloved Austen characters come to life on the pages. The story remains true to the original but it felt very fresh and modern. I would definitely encourage Austen fans to read this because they're missing out on a treat!

Excellent graphic style, the script however did not manage to liven up what is basically a not very stimulating plot. So, if you love anything Austen this comic is for you, if you look for something more engaging than English countrylife in the early 19th century that does not however entail the social clashes and sometimes angsty atmosphere of "Pride and Prejudice", you might try other titles. I personally hope another Jane Austen's novel like "Persuasion" will be the next pursuit of this publisher.

Not set

This is a very interesting and new way to enjoy Austen's work. We approached this title with an open mind and found that it was a very fresh take on the classic 'Emma' story. Firstly the artwork in the book is fantastic and really brings to life the personality's of each of the characters. This is an ambitious piece of work as the story of 'Emma' has so many twists and turns that we thought it could be difficult to convey the story in this style. But we were happy to find that all of the major plot points were there and that this manga style has a lovely charm all of its own. We would recommend that you give this book a chance, especially if you are a fan of Jane Austen.

Not set

I have a medical condition which can mean that I find reading difficult sometimes (I know, ironic for a book blogger!), so I have avoided denser texts and classic books over the past few years. However, I really enjoyed the way that this comic maintained the classic feel while modernising it. I read it very quickly and enjoyed it immensely. I would recommend this to anyone who may not have engaged with classics before, someone who wants to read a classic more quickly, or those who may struggle to read sometimes. The graphics were STUNNING. I would love a poster of the front cover to this. So much effort was put in to every single character and there was an incredible amount of detail throughout.

Another great addition to the Manga Classics series! The twists and turns of love in Emma make it a perfect story to tell in manga style. I haven't actually read the novel Emma, so I can't speak to how faithfully this book re-presents the story. This Manga edition is a fabulous read & a good addition to any Jane Austen or manga collection.

This is a fantastic, engaging, modern way to bring a classic to the next generation. It was a wonderful adaptation come with me if he changes, and a quick easy read. I will be sending copies of this to my nieces, and highly recommending it to bring Jane Austen to a whole new generation. Please keep up the good work turn classics into Manga.

I must begin by stating that this graphic novel has beautiful artwork. Emma, while not my favorite of Jane Austen's works, is an intriguing story nonetheless, and it is told beautifully in the manga format. This format is a quick and easy way to read and understand this wonderful classic. It brings out Emma's selfish nature and Knightley's caring one. Despite never having liked the character Emma, she is illustrated in a way that gives her more depth. Knightley was also well developed, although it being no fault of this adaptation he could use a bit more page time. Overall this story was well formatted for this medium. I recommend it to Austenites and those who would like to read the classics, but just don't have the time. The graphic format makes it a much quicker read. I received this book from the publisher, via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

We've owned this adaptation of Emma for almost a year and it's pretty consistently checked out! The art matches the story nicely and the adaptation is pretty flawless. As always, the Manga Classics from Udon are a big hit!

I received a copy of Manga Classics: Emma from NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review. I can’t say enough positive things about Manga Classics. I adore the idea of taking the classics and putting them into new and potentially more approachable mediums. With any luck this will help get more kids (and adults!) to read the classics, which is a worthy goal if I’ve ever seen one. I’m still not-so-secretly hoping for a Secret Garden version, or perhaps a Little Women one; though honestly at this point I’ll take anything that is offered to me. I have to confess, even though I’m a huge Jane Austin fan, I’ve never been able to get through Emma. I’m not sure if it just wasn’t keeping my attention, or something else. I’ve tried the book multiple times, and even the audio book version. No luck. Even the movie failed the hold my attention (though admittedly I can be a bit of a snob when it comes to movie adaptations for novels). When I saw the manga version I knew I had to at least give it a try. Reading Emma in manga form…it changed everything for me. Suddenly I found myself enthralled, and ended up reading the whole thing in one sitting. I am so grateful for Stacy King and Crystal S. Chan to have made this for us. It really proved that the concept does work – sometimes a change of medium is all you need to add a whole new level of appreciation to a work. From my multiple attempts at reading Emma, I have a pretty decent understanding of Emma’s character (which I suspect is the reason I ended up giving up so many times). I believe that her slightly silly and shallow manger was portrayed perfectly here, as were the rest of the characters. Despite the fact that there’s a rather large cast in Emma, the artist managed to make all of them distinct and easy to recognize (for which I’m very grateful for). Second to the character designs were the clothing designs, which were perfect. The dressed were simple or exquisite, depending on what was called for, and status was easily identified based on the clothing style and type. While I don’t think I enjoyed Emma quite as much as Pride & Prejudice, there’s no doubt in my mind that it was due to the original story, as opposed to anything else. I’m so happy I finally managed to get all the way through a version of Emma. I can’t wait to start reading the next Manga Classics book!

Manga Classics Emma was such a great read. Although I have never read the story before, I found it really easy to follow. I absolutely enjoyed the story and loved the characters. The graphics were drawn so nicely and I loved all the dresses. Emma’s character really shone out in the story and her thoughts and feelings were very well portrayed. Although her audaciousness was extreme at times, her intent to good and to help others really resonated with me. She (almost) made it seem reasonable to meddle with other people’s love lives. I loved how the characters and plot slowly unravelled as the story went on. Nothing was a shock and turns of the events were pleasantly predictable. Through making some of the subtle hints more obvious in the manga, the writers made it a lot easier to understand the characters and to fully appreciate the plot. Overall, I enjoyed reading the graphic novel and am eager to read the classic! I definitely recommend manga classics to readers who are still hesitant to pick up the real books (I totally understand because I am one of those readers). They won’t disappoint!

Emma is my favourite Jane Austen novel together with Northanger Abbey. This book had a different person doing the story adaptation (aka selecting and writing the text and discussing with the illustrator what scenes to include and how they should look) and I could notice it from the very start. It feels more like Austen. More of the original text is included in this one than in S&S and P&P. The parts that aren't straight from the book have the same feel as parts that actually are from the book. Because of this, all text feels natural. I did not have that feeling with the other two, the original text felt so awkward between the more modern new parts. They changed some minor things to make it more suitable for a manga adaptation and I can understand and accept that. I also totally appreciate the less dramatic poses and roses. This one focuses more on the characters, just like the original novel, and it felt more like a true Jane Austen adaptation because of that. They wove the romance in it in such a nice way with little hints here and there. There are no abrupt endings here and with the exception of Harriet's parentage all things were nicely concluded. This is by far my favourite adaptation.

This story revolves around Emma Woodhouse-a beautiful, spirited and big hearted young woman of stature who is dead set on play my Cupid to anyone around her. With her confidence in other matches that were successful by her meddling she decides to take on a new project when she meets Harriet Smith-a shy young woman who is new to the area. Emma's neighbor, Mr. Knightley, thinks her frivolous actions are appalling but will be find himself caught in the kind cupid's crosshairs as well? Follow Emma through mysteries, adventures and mishaps while she makes her own discoveries about herself. This is the third 'Manga Classics' adaptation I have read. They have yet to disappoint me! The artwork and dialogue continues to enchant me while none of the sentiment from Jane Austen is lost. Great YA manga to share with any Austen fan or young lady discovering Jane Austen for the first time! This book was given to me by NetGalley and and Udon Entertainment in exchange for a fair and honest review.