Cover Image: Manga Classics: Emma

Manga Classics: Emma

I love that this manga adaptation of one of my favorite classics kept somewhat closely to the original story, even using some of the original dialogue. Jane Austen is one of my favorite classic authors, and "Emma" is my favorite of all her books, so I was really excited to read this one!

The artwork is really lovely and the characters are all so distinct. I love their costumes and the pretty scenery. Sometimes I think the drama goes a little bit overboard though, as though the characters are shouting at each other with wild expressions, or looking dramatically shocked and amazed with wide eyes and open mouths. It just ends up looking a little silly!  But most of the time, the characters expressions match the dialogue in a more demure and subtle way.

I enjoyed this manga so much, and it's a great way to revisit one of my favorite stories!  Can't wait to read more Manga Classics!

Disclaimer: I received an ecopy of this book from the publisher in exchange for a free and honest review. All the opinions stated here are my own true thoughts and are not influenced by anyone.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I have a full review on Goodreads but I would like to say that I did enjoy it, even though I haven't read the original Jane Austen work. Classics are hard for me to get into so I was excited to give this a try. It did not disappoint.
Classics in manga form are always fantastic. I love to read any classic that's made into a manga. Jane Austen is one of my favorite classical authors and seeing Emma as a manga is wonderful. I would buy this even though I all ready have a hardcover print. Something about classics and manga together. It works.
I received an ARC for this book from UDON through Netgalley.

I rather enjoyed this rendition of Jane Austen's Emma. (Something I never thought I would ever say or write, I have a love/hate relationship with the original work.)

The mangaka and writer beautifully adapted the story, staying very close to the original. A lot of parts are skimmed over or shortened (which is unavoidable), but they managed to let a lot of the subtext come through in the details of the drawings. I guess the old addage is proven right once again, a picture can say a thousand words...
It's a great introduction to the classic work of literature.

I'm looking forward to read the other Classics adaptations.
Emma Woodhouse thinks she's a great matchmaker. The story opens on the wedding of her former governess, Miss Taylor, marrying Mr. Weston. Emma's father is devastated that Miss Taylor will no longer live with them but Emma assures him this is a good match for Miss Taylor. Emma meets Harriet, a young girl who lives in the school in town. Harriet never knew who her parents were, but Emma is sure that her father had a high standing in society. When Harriet gets a proposal from a farmer, Emma insists that she turn it down because she can marry someone better. Emma sets Harriet's sights on Mr. Elton, who ends up falling for Emma. Meanwhile, Mr. Weston's son comes to visit. Mr. and Mrs. Weston want Mr. Weston's son, Mr. Churchill, to marry Emma so their families will be joined. However, when Harriet confesses to being in love with Mr. Knightly, Emma's brother-in-law, Emma realizes she has loved him all along.

I really like this adaptation of Emma. Some scenes are interpreted differently to accommodate the graphic novel format. For example, the novel starts with Emma and her father sitting in their house, discussing Miss Taylor's new marriage. However, the graphic novel opens with Miss Taylor's wedding, with Emma and her father speaking in the pews of the church. This makes the opening of the graphic novel more active, since pictures of people just sitting and talking in their home would be a boring way to start it off.

At the end of this book, the author describes some of the changes she made to the original story. The story still unfolds in the same way as the book. There are some twists at the end of the story, which could have been demonstrated earlier in the book for people who have read the original. But she kept these surprises a secret for new readers, who haven't read Jane Austen's original, so they will experience the twists for themselves.

This was a great adaptation of Emma. I will be posting more reviews of Manga Classics from UDON Entertainment in the coming weeks.
Jane Austen's Emma is one of my favorite stories, and reading the manga version by Stacy King and Po Ste was awesome!  Loved this adaptation!  Here we follow Emma Woodhouse and all her match-making schemes.  Filled with family dynamics, humor, friendships, and romance! You don't necessarily have to read the novel version first to enjoy the manga adaptation. This manga can be read on it's own as it follows the story-line, relationships, and plot pretty closely. Another favorite Austen classic of mine is Persuasion. I would love for King and Tse to create that story into a manga version. This is the last Austen adaptation in this manga series. I recommend this to anyone who loves Jane Austen and/or regency historical fiction romance.
Emma was an incredible book, I had not read the novel but the Manga classics have justified the story. I thought that since I have not read the original book may be I will not able to understand the story well but i guess I was wrong.
This book was really interesting. I look forward to reading more from this author!
I picked this up hoping that this would finally help me like Austen's work. Unfortunately, it seems like it just isn't for me. I enjoyed the art style, though.
*I received this book through Netgalley, but all opinions are my own*

Once again, I haven't actually read the original, but I think I might actually like it. This was a very good story (even if Emma was a bit annoying and bad at match-making lol).

There was a lot going on in this story, with many different characters, but the author and artist really did a good job with making them all look different and pleasing to read.

I thought this was a good adaption and it has encouraged me to read the original ^_^
I love manga illustrations and when you combine that with classics it is a wonderful match!

Ideal for people who are beginning their foray into classics and people who move manga.

Highly recommended.
As someone who spends a lot of her time reading shoujo manga, I am excited to find that classic literature, such as "Emma," have been turned into manga. While I haven't read the novel by Jane Austen, I feel like the artist/author has done an amazing job condensing and illustrating the story.
The art, even in low resolution, is beautiful and very detailed. I especially love the characters' reactions to Augusta, and how well the artist conveys her personality. The detail put into the backgrounds and outfits is amazing, and though it may seem random, the inking and shine on Jane's hair is absolutely beautiful. The eyes are very expressive.
The story and the character interactions are very enjoyable, though I did cringe slightly when Emma started questioning whether Frank was in love with her. The sentence phrasing is perfect, and all but Augusta's feels very elegant and refined. Considering her personality, this is intended. The story is a good length, as it is not under-explained or dragged out. The pacing is excellent, and continually held my attention without lingering on unnecessary details.
In conclusion, "Emma" is highly enjoyable, and I would recommend it to fans of Jane Austen, shoujo manga, or graphic novels.
A classic story i always enjoy reading full like mischief, and romance
Loving these manga classic adaptations. This is my least favourite Austen novel but it's portrayed here with real flare anf feeling. Thouroughly enjoyed.
Very beautiful Manga. I really enjoyed how wonderfully drawn this was and how well it actually followed the story of Jane Austen. It's got a very wonderful sort of whimsical drawing style, and those who have read the original classic, you will really enjoy this Manga. Also, if you aren't a fan of classics I can see you having a new love for it, and possibly even pick it up just because of this Manga.
My first foray into Manga Classics was with Pride & Prejudice. Emma is actually my favorite Austen story, but I preferred the manga adaptation of Pride & Prejudice more.

With Emma's adaptation here, I feel like Emma was made to be more annoying than she has been made in previous adaptations as well as the original book itself. She wasn't awful, of course, and could even be adorable at times. I think part of it may be how young she was drawn. She had the appearance of a 14-15 year old girl, so it made some of her immature antics seem even younger. Another character's depiction I had a slight problem with was Knightley. His goatee was too pointy and silly; it made him look like a villain.

That said, I do always enjoy the plot of Emma, and this manga adaptation did well with keeping it true to the original book.
<i>Thank you netgalley for the digital copy.</i>

Emma was never one of my favourite Austen classics, but I did enjoy the manga classics version by Stacy King.  It was lovely, well drawn, and pretty.  There is always nothing better than a manga adaptation of classics like Austen in my opinion.
I was not able to veiw this title through netgalley
This is a mediocre adaptation, nothing really stands out. I did enjoy the ending.