The Miracle of Meditation

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 21 Aug 2018

As someone who frequently meditates, whether it is by sitting down or when I practice yoga, I went into The Miracle Of Meditation expecting to find insights into why meditation work and how to get back to basics. What I received was a few very interesting thoughts mixed in with a lot of face-palming.

Lets start off with what got me face-palming so much, “connect to a higher world, and receive inspirations and guidance to live a better life” i.e. heaven. Whilst I understand that it does say this on the blurb, I did not realise how much Okawa was going to rely on it to convey everything. The only good thing that I found from this is that it will hopefully make people realise that meditation itself is not spiritual, you can make meditation suit your own spiritual needs.

Aside from the continuous mentions of heavy spirits and relevant things, I personally found only a few lines here and there to be truely useful for anyone. Okawa explained how breathing does help calm you down if you get frustrated and annoyed, which I found very helpful as I could never understand why it worked.

Whilst a handy guide for meditation, very few people will truely benefit from this.

An interesting and inspiring book that looks at the subject of meditation from many aspects. The book in fact talks more than just meditation – it includes e.g. advises on how one should think and act when dealing with challenges and anxiety. It is also a book of religion - leading to believe in God but not exactly Christianity as I understand it.

The introduction to various meditation techniques like Reading Meditation is useful, and the introduction of divine spirits through meditation was new to me.

A book worth reading and can help achieve inner peace from our usually troubled everyday life.
Just when I thought I understood meditation, I read "The  Miracle of Meditation" I have only viewed it from a perspective of quiting my mind. Never realizing it can go much deeper than that. This book opened my eyes to a whole nother level of Meditation. Thank You, Ryuho Okawa
I enjoy volumes on yoga and meditation and even where books on the same subject overlap, I can often find new nuggets to hold onto. The point of view in this book is quite different from others I've read. Firstly, this book insists on a higher power and calls this God in the monotheistic sense. So, if you follow a Buddhist tradition and are offended by monotheistic references, skip this one. Some of the book indicates a connection between meditation and the law of attraction and might be appealing to those practitioners. There are several prompts for visualization suggestions during meditation which were unique and interesting as well.
A nice primer for a newcomer to the subject. Well presented.
A  definitive guide to the wonders of meditation. This book is all encompassing as the author explains the various health and mental benefits of meditation. It is a must read for everyone who meditates, or is considering a meditation practice. I particularly recommend this as a learning tool, a health guide and a go to book for all who meditate.
I have used meditation as a tool in my health tool kit for over 40  years and found this book a critical way to improve my own practice and incorporate many of the authors suggestions. Every reader will benefit from this as meditation improves mental and physical health. With this book as a guide you cannot go wrong beginning a practice, learning about proper techniques and the benefits behind meditation.   I highly recommend this book.
The ARC did not influence my review.
A good bookand a pleasant read, with some interesting nuggets like the chapter on meditating in Nature. However, with too many books on midfulness and meditation published every day it isn't really the one which stands out of the average.
As someone who practices daily meditation, this book was rather a refresher course in some ways and another in a learning environment. I use meditation relive anxiety, stress, depression and chronic pain in my daily life, some situations are just for encouragement and others is to look within to find a solution or to boost my creativity.  I would really highly recommend this book to anyone who is just starting out practicing meditation.
This was disappointing to me. It was more a lecture on the author's experiences and philosophies. I was hoping for a practical guide to learning meditation. Perhaps my expectations were in error.