Member Review

mica r, Reviewer

Last updated on 13 Sep 2017

I Recommend This Book

Strongly

See full review on https://poshtofu.wordpress.com/2017/02/05/review-stranger-things-have-happened-by-jeff-strand/

This story contains oppressive themes like bullying, death, and murder or threats. Although these are expressed in a very light manner, I think people who go to review sites need to know about this to be warned of theses unwanted triggers.

At first, I thought I wouldn’t enjoy this book because I’m not a huge fan of magic but I did because the author is freaking talented and has successfully put everything together perfectly! This book is one of the most entertaining and comical books I’ve ever read. I enjoyed reading the side stories that I think improved the plot of the story to a greater extent.

I’ve heard a lot of complaints about the dialogue being unnatural to some, but this didn’t bother me at all. I think books like this call for dialogues like that. If you know what I mean. I enjoyed the hilarious exchange of words between the characters. I enjoyed the word sequence, writing style and everything related to that.

The characters, villain or not, are interesting even though there is only a few information revealed about them. They are young but very smart for their age. I adore their growth and progress in this story. Let me explain:

Our Marcus started out as a very anxious boy with a very low self-esteem but he turned out to be the opposite in the end. He’s easily one of my two favorite characters.

The other one is Peter. Peter is a huge but gentle teenager. He lets other kids bully him in school to protect his secret identity, which is very funny by the way, but at the very end of the story, he decided not to take craps from his bullies anymore.

And the best transformation of all is Seamus’s. He went from being Sinister Seamus to becoming Snuggly Seamus. Awww! (I was kidding when I said transformation because *spoiler alert* his story didn’t have a nice ending. But it’s for the good of everyone though.)

The only thing I didn’t like much in this story is that the entire planning for the magic trick thing was very long and the performance itself is short. Other than that, this story is almost flawless and simple yet unforgettable. Especially for me!

This is the first Jeff Strand book I’ve read and I think I’d like to read more of his works. I recommend this to anyone who’s interested in magic, looking for a good/easy read, and simply wants to read a book because I’m sure you won’t regret picking up this one. 😉