Sun Dragon's Song #2

Pub Date 01 Mar 2017 | Archive Date 03 Mar 2017

Yo Hi's life's dream has finally come true: He's been accepted into the Dragon Riding Academy. While his life will never be the same, unfortunately, some things may never change.

EDITION Ebook

YES! I was so happy when I heard Sun Dragon’s Song #2 released on NetGalley. Thank you to Glaiza @ Paper Wanderer for letting me know about it. It has been a hard couple of days so I was excited I can relax and enjoy a diverse comic about dragon riders. Without further delays, let’s get down into the second issue of Sun Dragon’s Song! As in reviewing any sequel, there may be spoilers from the first issue. Check out my review of Issue #1. We are back on the Dragon Farm where Ho Yi just got the news he was accepted to the Dragon Riding Academy. The news spread around the farm and all of a sudden, the other students started including and wanting to hang out with him. This panel was particularly powerful to me and how marginalized folks are often treated -> pushed away until dominant culture deems they have some value. But it is not all fun and games for Ho Yi as he faces the consequences of pushing against the status quo of what a dragon rider ‘should be.’ We are taken through Ho Yi’s first ride on a sun dragon as he is taken to the academy. On this ride, he mentions their used to be a land of matriarchs, where only women would train and ride dragons. I look forward to learn more about this matriarchal society of dragon riders and this directly addresses my first review talking about the number of women of color in this comic. We get our first look at the academy – a place of privilege in the world of sun dragons. Ho Yi experiences amenities he has never had before… plumbing, a room to himself, and glassware. As the new trainees are touring the academy, there is interesting information about the sun dragon’s biology. Sun dragons can pick the biological sex and depending on their diet, can become a particular dragon. This is the first time Ho Yi is confronted with thinking about dragons in terms of biological sex. Ho Yi starts his physical training and finds it very challenging since he is differently abled. While some trainees are rude to him, there are others, including his instructor, that empathizes, supports, and stands with Ho Yi. Ho Yi goes through situations similar to what most marginalized people have to do: explain themselves and their existence to others. His friends (with good intentions and maybe a bit bluntly without regard for the students) shows Ho Yi the diversity of ability within the dragon rider community -> blindness, deafness, and more. Ultimately, this is about how Ho Yi is struggling with the question: do I fit in here? This is the question of marginalization and I think it holds a powerful theme in this comic. I love the artwork and the story continues to be charming, although takes an ominous turn at the end. Look for Issue #2 of Sun Dragon’s Song out in March! Final Rating: 4/5

ARC. Received from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. I read book 1 and his one picked up where that one left off. The illustrations are wonderful and helps tell the story beautifully, the dialogue goes with the images and the page frame direction is clearly identifiable. A wonderful story of overcoming adversity.

Not set

I’ve read the first, and more importantly remember it; that doesn’t happen often. Despite now being a dragonrider in training—or more likely because of it—Ho Yi is still getting bullied. Before he was just an easy target, but now jealousy gets added and he gets a huge beatdown. Much more endearing is how much he likes his new digs: not having to share a room, his own bathroom, so on. That changes quickly as training sets in, leaving him homesick and in pain, but with new friends. You can’t be a dragonrider if you’re afraid of heights; maybe shoulda thought about that beforehand. . . I like the artwork here more than I did in the first one. I don’t remember if the first was so watercolor-y, but it definitely works here. Ends in a cliffhanger, but since it’s the 2nd of 4 chapters that’s to be expected. 3.5 pushed up to 4/5

Not set

Title: The Sun Dragon's Song #2 Author: Joyce Chng Artist: Kim Miranda Genre: Comics, Fantasy, Kids Series: The Sun Dragon's Song Verdict: I received a free review copy of this book from Rosarium Publishing, via NetGalley, as an opportunity to provide a fair and honest review. First of all: if you haven't checked out Rosarium Publishing before now, I recommend you do. They rock. I read and reviewed The Sun Dragon's Song #1 a while ago, and loved it, so figured I'd do the same for #2! Just like the first part in this series, this was a) cute as all get-out, and b) ABSOLUTELY STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL. Seriously. Every panel of this comic is worthy of hanging in a gallery. I can't stress enough how stunningly gorgeous the artwork is. This one also seemed more developed - in terms of both character and world-building; we get to learn more about the dragon rider's academy, and see more of Ho Yi's determination and strength. Occasionally the dialogue is still a little stilted - but there is some improvement from the last issue. Our young protagonist, disabled Asian boy Ho Yi, is strong but realistic (well - as realistic as something with dragons gets) and is truly becoming a great li'l character. :) And dude - there are awesomely drawn dragons!!!!!! (I mean, come on, isn't that an excellent reason to read something?!) (...ok, maybe a little coffee. But not much!) A couple of warnings: there's bullying, in particular ableist bullying, which may be distressing to some readers. Obviously, since there's ableist bullying, there's also ableism.