The Book of Massively Epic Engineering Disasters

33 Thrilling Experiments Based on History's Greatest Blunders

Pub Date 05 Sep 2017 | Archive Date 01 Sep 2017

It’s hands-on science with a capital “E”—for engineering.

Beginning with the toppling of the Colossus of Rhodes, one of the seven wonders of the ancient world, to the destructive, laserlike sunbeams bouncing off London’s infamous “Fryscraper” in 2013, here is an illustrated tour of the greatest engineering disasters in history, from the bestselling author of The Book of Totally Irresponsible Science.

Each engineering disaster includes a simple, exciting experiment or two using everyday household items to explain the underlying science and put learning into action. Understand the Titanic’s demise by sinking an ice-cube-tray ocean liner in the bathtub. Stomp on a tube of toothpaste to demonstrate what happens to non-Newtonian fluids under pressure—and how a ruptured tank sent a tsunami of molasses through the streets of Boston in 1919.

From why the Leaning Tower of Pisa leans to the fatal design flaw in the Sherman tank, here’s a book of science at its most riveting.

It’s hands-on science with a capital “E”—for engineering.

My mom received a digital copy of this book from Netgalley and gave it to me to read. Thank you to Net galley to the Author and the publisher. I liked a lot of the experiments, they were cool. I was really busy in the summer, so I only had time to look through the book, and didn't have time to do any of the experiments. I want to try some of the stuff now that I have more time.