This is How it Ends

A Novel

Pub Date 13 Mar 2018 | Archive Date 01 Mar 2018

Talking about this book? Use #ThisIsHowItEnds #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Three hundred gone. Just six left.

The building was once home to families, friends, children, couples, love, life. Now, almost every apartment is empty, the inhabitants forced out by the developers tearing down the old social housing to build luxury homes.

Only a few of the inhabitants have fought back against the attempts to evict them from their homes and their histories. And they have been joined by passionate student protester and would-be journalist, Ella, who is leading a high-profile media campaign to protect those who refuse to leave.

One night, Ella returns home to find a horrible scene awaiting her-the dead body of a mysterious man. Panicked, she calls her neighbor Molly, who convinces her that the police won't believe she's innocent. Together the two women concoct a gruesome plan to hide the body.

But the secret won't stay buried for long. As truth hangs in the balance, a neighbor tells Molly he had heard Ella arguing with a man in the hallway and mistrust grows between Ella and Molly, as repercussions of that night threaten to change both women's lives forever.

Three hundred gone. Just six left.

Send To Kindle (PDF)

Wow, not the ending I expected! This was much more a "whydunit" as opposed to a"whodunit"! I had trouble getting into this one initially as I think I was reading too quickly, assuming I knew what this was about. But when I slowed down to savor it, I realized there was so much social commentary as well as the plot shadowing Ella and Molly as they work to cover up a murder committed by Ella in a hasty altercation. Because they are both protesting the gentrification of the area in which they live, we see tenants being forced out of their building with nowhere to go. We also witness police brutality as protestors become violent and volatile. The novel raises the question, is there a fine line between good and evil? Can someone we think we really know be a different person underneath? You may think you know what is true, but the end may surprise you. I have great respect for this author and will be reading her other books as well!