Crackerjack Jack

Pub Date 15 Mar 2018 | Archive Date 11 Jun 2018

Talking about this book? Use #CrackerjackJack #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

This is a book about a robber—a wisecracker, firecracker, knucklecracking crook named Jack. Jack devises a ploy to rob a bank, with a duck as his unlikely accomplice. This villainous duo bumbles their way through a robbery, in which Jack ends up knocked unconscious, arrested for the crime, and thrown in jail. Meanwhile, the duck makes off like a bandit, escaping with all the dough to live a life of luxury in the tropics.

Rhyming text, onomatopoeia, and an energetic beat paired with comical illustrations make this a fast-paced read that guarantees laughs. The playful language will entice young readers to follow along and repeat sounds and phrases in this outrageous and unapologetically reckless tale.

A Note From the Publisher

– Debut picture book written in rhyme with rhythm and onomatopoeia
– A wild, purely fun story with read-aloud appeal
– Enticing language and wordplay will appeal to kids learning to read

– Debut picture book written in rhyme with rhythm and onomatopoeia
– A wild, purely fun story with read-aloud appeal
– Enticing language and wordplay will appeal to kids learning to read

Send To Kindle (PDF)

Cute and thoroughly entertaining read for children. The illustrations compliment the text. The rhythm of the text is sure to keep the attention of children, while the vivid colorful drawings with keep them engaged from one page to the next.

This is a cute and entertaining read for children. Yes, the duck gets away with the money and lives a life of luxury, but that is not the purpose of the book. It is a silly story with a lot of wordplay that can be used for entertainment or as a mentor text for older students learning about various speech elements. The illustrations compliment the text and are large and colorful. They alone can tell the story. A cute book for a school or class library.

The illustrations are amazing! I loved the twist at the end!  Anything that rhymes that good is entertaining! Surely even you can comprehend! Crackerjack the safecracker, Was cracked by his only friend. Now lies in prison cracker jacker,  Remembering the days as a wisecracker, With no other business to attend. The End! ......what? I couldn't help it okay! It doesn't have to be good. I just wanted to have fun! That's how good I felt after reading this fun story! Everything about this was wonderful. The illustrations complimented the story brilliantly. I would definitely recommend it!

Okay I am totally in love with the duck. I kid you not. This book was hilarious and the flow of the wording was awesome. I loved the illustrations and I can see kids coming back to it time and time again.

I am in love with this funny book. This would be a hit at Storytime. Jack is a thief. He likes to crack safes. But it will take a duck and a firecracker to crack the toughest bank ever. It rhymes, it has a lovely cadence. It works. On all levels.

Crackerjack Jack is a robber, a wisecracker, a firecracker, a knucklecracker. He plans to rob a bank, using a duck as his accomplice. What Jack isn't? Terribly good at being a robber, a wisecracker, a firecracker, or a knucklecracker. He bumbles his way through the robbery, ends up knocked out cold and is arrested. The duck, however, is living life on an island vacation, already plotting his next crime. This book is a hilarious slapstick story, great for read-alouds. There's repetition, rhyme, and wacky, bright illustrations that make this playful book perfect for pre-readers and beginning readers. (Pair this one with Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type and talk about the use of deviously brilliant ducks.) Crackerjack Jack has a starred review from Kirkus.

Crackerjack Jack is a colorful, fun read-aloud about safe-cracking. I like the fact that the story will lead to so many other discussions, from figurative language to morals. There is something to inquire about on every spread of the book. And, the illustrations are awesome! I know my art teacher will be eager to point out the use of patterns on the pages. Wilker was witty with this one.