Perfect Prophet

Perfect Prophet: Book 1

Pub Date 03 Sep 2018 | Archive Date 26 Oct 2020

Talking about this book? Use #PerfectProphet #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

When atheistic death-metal guitarist Alec is shot on stage by a Satanic fan, his miraculous recovery inspires a change in his beliefs about God. But when he returns to his hometown to make amends with his family, he discovers that his strictly religious and abusive father has dark secrets that involve Alec and his role in a local Satanic cult.Perfect Prophet is a dark, supernatural thriller where normal people who question the existence of God must choose what roles they will play in a battle over an unlikely savior's soul.

Book one of the Perfect Prophet series. Look for book two, Prophet Reborn, also on NetGalley for a limited time.

A Note From the Publisher

978-1-54393-949-1 (ebook) (Available 09/03/18)

978-1-54393-949-1 (ebook) (Available 09/03/18)

Advance Praise

Reviewed By Romuald Dzemo for Readers’ Favorite

Perfect Prophet by Diane M. Johnson is dark and gripping, a tale with strong spiritual and physical conflicts. Alexander B. Lowell, also known as Alec or Alexander the Great as he was called by the hippest punters of his fledgling fandom, is shot on stage by a satanic fan, while he is playing the guitar in an underground club. An atheist, he starts believing in God, thanks to his miraculous recovery. But a trip back home opens his eyes to a reality he never imagined, even faintly, about his father. His hypocrite of a father has very dark and deadly secrets and a powerful link to a local satanic cult in which he plays a vital role. When Alec’s life is in even graver danger and the safety of those he loves is in jeopardy, he finds help in unexpected places, but can he survive what is heading his way?

Diane M. Johnson’s writing is beautiful and the characters are awesome. The characters are well explored, including Alec’s father, the prophet Brent Lowell, Alec, Lucas and a cast of other characters. The reader is pulled into a powerful conflict, the fight between good and evil, and themes like family, murder, crime, faith, and hope are written into the story in a brilliant manner. I enjoyed the prose and the author’s gift for descriptive narrative, scenes that are focused and insightful. Character development is top notch and the strong plot points make the story a gripping one. Perfect Prophet melds elements of thriller, horror, and the supernatural into one fascinating tale that is as edgy as it is dark. You can’t put it down.

Reviewed By Romuald Dzemo for Readers’ Favorite

I am the Resurrection, and I am the Light So says Jesus. And Ian Brown. But not Alec Lowell, lead guitarist in ‘The Great’ and the antagonistic protagonist of Diane M. Johnson’s second novel, an atheistic anarchist who finds himself thrust into the centre of the ultimate Light vs Dark battle. This story plays out as a supernatural mystery, fantastical elements of black magic and miracles running alongside the classic ‘Whodunnit’ (or rather, Whoissit) of the true persona of The Man, Ashland’s satanic cult leader. The reader is taken on a journey of theological debate and personal struggle as Alec survives a bullet that should surely have killed him, returns home to his family and begins to uncover the secrets of his devoutly religious father. I found the language and style of writing a little heavy going at times, and this novel took several evenings of perseverance to complete. The subject matter, as any type of theology, requires more than comfy slippers and a mug of hot chocolate to fully devour and appreciate, and I felt the great time leaps between Alec’s major life incidents confusing at times. The idea of an entire town being composed of Satanists, and not knowing who (including law enforcement) to trust came across very intensely, and had me ‘edge of my seat’-ing as if I were watching a Final Girl trying to survive the night in a classic horror film. Overall, I really enjoyed Perfect Prophet, if I could suspend my disbelief at the darkest of dark magicks taking place in a small town in Wisconsin, of all places. And The Great singer Cleo’s propensity to call everyone ‘hon.’ If you’re after something with a little more meat than your standard mystery thriller, I would recommend giving this a try. But keep a clear head and an open mind as you go! I received a copy of this book from netgalley in exchange for an honest review.