Our Life in a Day

Pub Date 27 Dec 2018 | Archive Date 30 Apr 2019

Talking about this book? Use #OurLifeInAday #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

One Day meets The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Our Life in a Day is the story of a ten-year relationship told in twenty-four individual hours - and a love story that also explores issues around male mental health.

The rules are simple. Choose the most significant moments from your relationship - one for each hour in the day.

You'd probably pick when you first met, right?
And the instant you knew for sure it was love?
Maybe even the time you watched the sunrise after your first night together?

But what about the car journey on the holiday where everything started to go wrong? Or your first proper fight?

Or that time you lied about where you'd been?

It's a once in a lifetime chance to learn the truth.

But if you had to be completely honest with the one you love, would you still play?

For Esme and Tom, the game is about to begin. And once they start, there's no going back . . .

PRICE £13.99 (GBP)

Send To Kindle (PDF)

Tom and Esme take a step back after ten years to reflect on their relationship. Esme challenges Tom to come up with the 24 most significant or defining moments of their ten years together. Toms reflections will break your heart. Mental health features largely in this book as Tom could be called a typical male in that he has tended to stay quiet and struggle on rather than express his thoughts and feelings. The book explores depression, the spiral of addiction and the impact that mental illness has in those closest But this book has warmth, wisdom, kindness, real soul. To read it is to hold your breath, swallow the lump in your throat and blink away the tear in your eye. Whilst smiling.

Oh my heart. I absolutely loved this book. It's a story about love, about our mental health and of how we need to be true to each other, but more importantly, true to who we are. It's a thought provoking read that l just simply adored it's a beautiful story. Esme and Tom are about to celebrate their ten year anniversary together. Tom arrives home from work to find Esme wanting to play a game of remembrance. She has a stack of post it notes, and on each is written one hour of the day. They both have to take it in turns to write down a significant memory in time, all within that time frame. 24 hours in a day, and Tom decides to play. I absolutely loved this idea of reminiscing about the past, of all those highly significant moments in time, but of course, not everything is good. This is an intense read, in that we get to know both Esme and Tom, warts and all. I love this kind of book, in which you delve into the character's soul to find out what makes them tick. By the end of the novel I felt like they were my friends. I loved them both dearly. Our Life in a Day also doesn't shy away from the realities of a long term relationship and mental health issues, particularly the mental health of men and the fact that they feel the need to hide their feelings and problems that they face. This aspect was written beaufifuly, with great empathy, and insight. It's a book that I feel will help us all to talk more openly about our mental health. This is a modern day love story that tackles the realities of the modern relationship with wit, tenderness and truth. I loved every page. Highly recommended. With thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the Advanced Reader Copy.

At last a love story that's realistic and deals with all the issues of being in a real relationship. I wasn't to keen on Tom's character at the start as he was definitely not the stronger part of the couple and I felt that he gave into Esme for a quiet life. It wasn't until his back story came to light that I saw him as being equally as committed to their future. It's a clever style of writing and I would like to thank the publishers and netgalley for letting me have the book in advance to review.

A quite brilliant book, taking a unique narrative framework to create a story about love gained, love lost and love in general. How society shapes us and how we shape our relationships to suit ourselves based upon our needs. Tom and Esme are a kismet couple who are great for each other until it becomes too much. Fewery writes with a conciseness and clarity, I read the book in less than a week ripping through chapters at will. He has created two very rounded characters - a forthright female with her own ambitions and stubborn as hell, while in Tom he has written a man who has his demons and is wary to share them. This is a great portrayal of mental illness; we as men need to open up and share our problems - when you communicate openly you can share the burden but also find some resolution and consolation in being honest about how you are feeling. At times, the narrative does wonder from first person into a third person telling but that is a minor quibble for a book that is light yet serious, funny yet assured. It should be a major success

What is it about this novel and these two people that made me read straight through, despite its length, without once feeling a drag in plot or character? I found it compulsively readable, believable. Even though not much happens outside the connection between these two people their portrayals are so vivid, I found it hard to break away, and the dialogue snaps off the page. I thoroughly enjoyed this well-written, page-turning, entertaining book. It is both a light and deep character study of two individuals and their strengths and weaknesses, foibles and what turned them onto and off each other, also with some well-drawn minor characters and interesting twists and turns, including one or two really moving episodes. It drew neatly, too, on the background that had helped turn them into what they were. The writing is vivid and captivating. The author brought both Esme and Tom to life, flaws and all. This book is heartbreaking. The only bad thing I can say about this book is that it ended. I could have gone on reading about Esme and Tom forever. I miss them. I want to just go back to the beginning and read it again and see what I missed. I don't want to let them go just yet.

Amazing read! The author wrote a story that was interesting and moved at a pace that kept me engaged. The characters were easy to invest in.

The reason I requested this book is that there was quite a hype on Twitter and I was curious. As it was labeled as "Women's fiction" I expected the usual heartwarming, funny book that is a lot of fun to read. I was wrong, this is an amazing book, heart wrenching and full of emotions. I started and couldn't put it down, I was engrossed in the plot and in the ups and downs of the characters. I loved Tom and Esme, the realistic description of the relationship and how the mental health problems were written. A wonderful reading trip, so full of emotions and so moving. Highly recommended! Many thanks to Orion and Netgalley for this ARC

Thank you Orion and NetGalley for the advanced copy of this book - all opinions are my own. What is there to say other than this book is a gorgeously done, emotional rollercoaster that absolutely crushed me right in the heart. I devoured this story in one very fast sitting, as I fell in love with Tom and Esme and their love story. I completely adore stories that let you really connect with the characters, and Jamie Fewery did amazing work of creating very human, broken, flawed characters who are so easy to relate to, root for and love. I was 100% invested in Tom and Esme - I held my breathe, got mad, cried and laughed right along with them as the story moves through snapshots of their 10 year relationship. I also entirely appreciate the work that Jamie did in very honestly exploring the realities of mental illness and its impacts on not only a person's life and mental space, but the impacts on their relationships. It has been brilliantly done here, and my heart broke over and over for these characters as they struggled through this journey. This book is beautiful and heartbreaking and wonderful, and I cannot recommend it enough. Get this on your winter reading list, it will be well worth the ride.

A peek into a couple's life in 24 hour increments. Many thanks to NetGalley, the publisher, and the author. All opinions are my own.