Raven Dock

Pub Date 02 Oct 2018 | Archive Date 08 Nov 2018

Talking about this book? Use #RavenDock #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Seventeen-year-old Harper Duncan never fit in anywhere her family moved…and they moved a lot. But after her parents and brother die in a tragic accident, she finds out she’s adopted, and her birth mother lives in a remote retreat called Raven Dock. Harper ventures north and discovers a dark family secret: her birth mother is a witch. And she’s one too. As Harper Learns about her own hidden powers, will she choose to embrace her chilling heritage, or return to the safety of the ordinary world?

Send to Kindle (PDF)

I'm so glad Raven Dock is just the first of a whole series. The only downside will be having to wait for the next volume. Sara Caldwell's handling of intrigue, mystery and suspense is nothing short of masterful. Raven Dock is page turner and will make you stay up too late at night trying to find out what happens next. The main character, Harper, a teenage misfit, is very real, supremely engaging, and outsiders with special powers have been a winning combination from The Ugly Duckling to Superman to Harry Potter. Raven Dock is no exception. Teens and tweens will surely find a hero in Harper Duncan but (as with Harry Potter) you don't have to be in any particular age group to identify. Harper had my empathy from page one. I wanted to go with her on her amazing, often scary, ultimately rewarding journey and was so glad I did. Can't wait for Book Two!

Raven Dock is character-driven and energetic writing. It’s youthful and perfect for readers who enjoy supernatural fiction.

A great read for the fall season — along with many other seasons.

Thank you to BooksgoSocial for the arc of this book.
For such a short book, it was full of intrigue and mystery.
It was well written and full of background knowledge, with an ending I didn’t see coming look froward to the next book!

I really enjoyed this, definitely worth a buy and a re-read of a physical copy (i am a sucker for a real book over an e-book). I enjoyed the story line and found the book well written. Would reccomend.

When I first picked this up I was expecting a fairly light read about a teenage girl discovering she was a witch and learning how to use her powers from a loving aunt. Looking back at the cover now, I am not sure why I ever thought this. It was in fact much darker than I had expected, and I loved it!

Even before Harper discovers her true identity, the book is filled with plenty of little hints of things to come, from the strange daisy pattern that appears wherever Harper lives, to the strange rituals of her father, with his habit of keeping peacock feathers in the house and salting entryways.

When Harper arrives at Raven Dock, she gets a lot more than she bargained for and that's where this book really get interesting, as she finds out the truth about her heritage.

I had no idea that this book was part of a series when I started reading it, but I am so glad it is, and I can't wait to get my hands on the next book.

As I'm into witches and everything paranormal, I found this an entertaining read. I was a bit annoyed over the ending, but hopefully things will change a little bit in the rest of the series.