The Book Knights

An Arthurian Fantasy

Pub Date 05 Jul 2017 | Archive Date 01 Jun 2019

Talking about this book? Use #TheBookKnights #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Knights wield words as weapons, librarians are wizards, and books can change the future!

When her parents are condemned to death by Morgan Fay for the crime of reading, Arti Penderhagen becomes a fugitive. Hunted by Mordred, the sadistic police captain who recites poetry to enhance his physical strength, Arti escapes to the Isle of Avalon, a sanctuary for outlaws. There she meets an old librarian named Merl who tells her about the Grail Tome, an ancient book in Morgan Fay's possession that can alter the course of history. Can Arti steal the book in time to save her family?

A Note From the Publisher

***THE BOOK KNIGHTS is available for purchase on Amazon in both paperback and Kindle editions, and in paperback on Barnes and Noble (see links below)***

Advance Praise

Eric Hoffer Book Award Winner

"This dynamic, fast-paced story begins on page one with punch and intrigue. Just a few pages with Arti and we are fully invested in her struggle, her spirit, and her fight against the Corporation." The Eric Hoffer Book Award

Short-listed for the Eric Hoffer Book Award Grand Prize.

Montaigne Medal finalist for most thought-provoking book.

Eric Hoffer Book Award Winner

Marketing Plan

Booksellers, reviewers, educators, librarians, and media professionals are encouraged to contact the author directly at www.jgmckenney.com for interviews, features, and promotions.

Loved this book so much. So different from everything I have been reading. Arti is a girl who can read whose parents were arrested for owing and reading books. So the story starts off with her fleeing her house as it burns. Anyone who is found to have books is arrested and their libraries are burned. Arti sets out on adventure to free her parents and to stop the burning of books. "Any good librarian knows the reader doesn't choose the book, the book chooses the reader." I couldn't put this book down. The pages flew by and I wasn't satisfied until I finished the book. This is one book I see myself reading over and over again

I received a complimentary ARC copy of The Book Knights by J.G. McKenney from NetGalley and Victory Editing NetGalley Co-Op. …a wonderfully unique plotline, compelling characters and an interesting and terrifying (reading and books are outlawed *shudders*) world! … I absolutely loved this book! The author has created a brilliant and unique take on Arthurian legend. Filled with a wonderfully unique plotline, compelling characters and an interesting and terrifying world (where reading & books are outlawed *shudders*😲)! The story begins with Arti, our protagonist, on the run after her parents are arrested for being readers and having a hidden library brimming with books in their home. A neighbour has reported them and their home is raided. Hiding behind a shelf Arti barely escapes the destruction of her home and is on the run for her freedom. Morgan Fay, the head of “The Corporation” is an acting government of sorts and has banned reading and books throughout the land. Arti is being hunted by The Flames (Fay’s enforcement officers) who will stop at nothing until they bring readers to justice. Scared, lost and on the run Arti meets a young street smart girl named Gal who helps her navigate her new life on the run. Gal unable to read is moved and they bond when Arti introduces her to the beauty of reading. With her world in danger and at risk of having any readers annihilated, Arti teams up with some interesting characters along the way. She meets Merl at an abandoned Garage called “Camel-Lot” when they stumble upon his motor home hidden in one of the Bays. Peeking in the window they notice him reading an ancient looking tome. Arti knowing he is one of “them” decides to talk to him and their lives change forever. Merl who has been looking for the “chosen one” who can read the hidden text in the tome and is elated when he realizes there is hope for the world. One by one her knights are drawn to her. Along with Merl, Gal and Arti, Lance and Gwen join them on a crusade to restore reading to their world. A fun fast-paced and interesting take on a classic story that I would highly recommend for young and old alike.