The Chronic Pain and Illness Workbook for Teens

CBT and Mindfulness-Based Practices to Turn the Volume Down on Pain

Pub Date 01 Aug 2019 | Archive Date 17 Dec 2019

Talking about this book? Use #TheChronicPainAndIllnessWorkbookForTeens #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

In this powerful workbook for teens, pediatric pain specialist Rachel Zoffness offers evidence-based strategies to help you turn the volume down on chronic pain and illness and get back to living your life.

Living with chronic pain and illness can be difficult, scary, and sometimes lonely. But if you’re one of the millions of teens who suffer from chronic pain, you should know that there are real tools you can use now to help you feel better. Blending cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR), this workbook provides proven-effective solutions to help you take control of your pain and get back to being you!

With this powerful and easy-to-use workbook, you’ll learn how pain affects both your mind and body, how negative emotions can make pain worse, and strategies to help you turn the volume down on your pain, so you can go back to enjoying activities that you love. You’ll also learn mindfulness and relaxation exercises, including belly breathing and body scan to help manage pain in the moment.

The exercises and strategies in this book are rooted in research, fun to learn, and easy to practice. And the best part? You can carry them with you wherever you go. Take them out into the world and take charge of your pain—and your life!

Advance Praise

“This workbook is stronger and more effective than any medication I know of for treating chronic pain.”
 —L. Stephen Long, MD, pediatric anesthesiologist; medical director of complex pain, UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland

“This phenomenal workbook aimed at strategies for empowering teens with chronic pain to take control of their path toward well-being is based on both clinical experience and a foundation in science. Rachel Zoffness has created a strong self-help workbook that is a ‘must-read’ and ‘must-use’ for all youth suffering from chronic pain. It is a highly impactful workbook for any teen with chronic pain and for their parents.”
Lonnie Zeltzer, MD, former director of the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) pediatric pain and palliative care program; UCLA distinguished professor in the department of pediatrics, anesthesiology, psychiatry, and biobehavioral sciences; pain researcher; and author

“I was sure that I would spend the rest of my life miserable with migraines, yet you taught me how to cope with pain rather than wallow in it. I can’t express in words how much you helped me. You gave me the hope to start striving to live my life with or without chronic migraines.”
 —Teen chronic pain survivor and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) program graduate

Send to Kindle (PDF)