Cherokee Summer

Pub Date 21 Jan 2019 | Archive Date 30 Sep 2021

Talking about this book? Use #CherokeeSummer #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

When Ace leaves home to spend the summer in Cherokee, North Carolina the last thing she expects to find is a boyfriend—until she meets Cherokee Tribe member John Spears. As Ace and John's friendship blossoms, they find their life experiences mirror each other and they fall in love. Despite hurdles thrown by well-meaning family members and jealous frenemies, the star-crossed lovers remain committed to their mutual belief that the universe has drawn them together. However, when Ace sends John a strange text and then suddenly disappears, the two must rely on their trust in each other to save both their lives and their love.

EDITION Ebook

I want to thank Netgalley for providing me with this book in exchange for my honest review. This book was so good! I was honestly addicted from the first chapter. Ace and John are the cutest couple I have ever read about. I loved everything about this book the plot was amazing the writing flowed perfectly and I found myself smiling The whole time reading this. I did not expect what happened at the end and I was pleasantly shocked by the twist it was perfectly done. This book has been added to my favourite reads of 2019 and I look forward to reading more from this author in the future! 5 fully deserved stars.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to read this book. I didn't love this book, but I didn't hate it either. It was just sort of...meh. Ace and John are two 18 year olds struggling with difficult family lives. Even though they come from different backgrounds, they have a lot in common, and quickly fall for each other. There is a lot of drama going on. There's the weight of familial expectations, an autistic brother, racial tensions, and a psychopath. I sometimes felt that the author was trying to fit as many different elements into a fairly simple story. The dialogue was a little unrealistic as well, and just didn't feel authentic. Nothing really gelled together to make this novel great.

The characters were very realistic and mature for their age. It is a wonderful, heartfelt coming of age story. I really felt for John and Ace because pretty much anything that could go wrong for them along the way did.

I want to start of by thanking Netgalley for providing me a copy of Cherokee Summer for an honest review. Cherokee Summer is about two teens who come from two different worlds and fall in love. Ace and John might come from different backgrounds but both face similar experiences. Both teen face a mother who is an alcoholic and a father who isn't around much or not at all. I found the story to be a fun read with some laugh out loud moments. I found some of the experiences the characters face to be realistic especially when it came to like racism, families, and friends. I did have some issues with the story at the same time. I did not like the mothers character and how she tried to push this other boy on her daughter. Even though the daughter made it clear she wanted nothing to do with him. I found the fathers interactions with his daughter more like a older brother like if you won't tell I won't tell situation. Then I also found the story some what cheesy. The characters only knew each other for a short time and fall in love. Some of the things they said to each other made my eyes roll. But over all it was an easy read and enjoyable enough to finish. www.goodreads.com/mandi1082 www.instagram.com/aperry1082 Litsy- mandi1082

I have such a soft spot for stories like this and this one didn't disappoint! Exactly the kind of book I needed while being stressed about uni constantly. Easy to read and takes your mind off of it. Also I really liked the writing in this one!

Cherokee Summer by Susan Anthony reached me on several levels. The reader is taken into the lives of Ace and John. From different worlds these two young adults are brought together during one summer in North Carolina. Ace is a rich girl from New Jersey and John an American Indian who lives on a reservation in Cherokee, NC. Like West Side Story they need to deal with prejudices from both sides in addition to parents with addiction issues. The depths of Ace and John’s hopes and dreams constantly take second place to what everyone else wants and expects. I found myself caught up in their lives and at times laughing with them, crying with them, and often angry on their behalf. Dreams are difficult to steal if the dreamer is strong. Both Ace and John are over-comers. I recommend Cherokee Summer and hope you will be as touched by the story as I was.

I requested this book from NetGalley because I was in the mood for some YA and summer was in the title. Pretty simple stuff – but the story I got was anything but. I thought it was going to be a quick little fluff read, but this book dealt with some heavy, important themes that affect today’s teenagers. Alcoholic parents, racism, autism, abandonment, divorce, mental illness, personal safety, teenage sexuality. I wasn’t expecting the depth of the story that I got, but I loved it. Taken apart, you might think it tried to cover too much, but Antony handled it all brilliantly and with great balance, sensitivity, and mindfulness. The main character, Ace (love that name for her!), is mature far beyond her years. Her dad has checked out of the family, and is there but not really there. Her mother is an alcoholic, a family secret. Her younger brother has autism. And Ace is the glue to hold them all together, forgetting about her own needs, to tend to her family. Until this summer, when her father relocates them to the casino at Cherokee, North Carolina for the summer, and Ace meets John, a member of the Cherokee tribe, and another teen with more on his plate than he should have, and they find themselves drawn together as if they were meant to be. These kids are dealing with issues they should never have to, and are doing it well, and try to carve out something for them as well. However, things start to fall apart and unravel, and things come to a head when Ace disappears suddenly. I really enjoyed this read, and read not just the responsibility that these characters bore, but also their fear, their desperation to have a typical life, even guilt over wanting to have something for them. This book was fantastic, and I highly recommend it!

So it actually took me a few chapters to get into this book. However I am glad I gave it a chance. It was a very good book when I got into it. So if it starts slow for you give it a chance.

Thank you to Netgalley for providing me a digital ARC of this in exchange for an honest review. I was really excited to read this because I have always been fascinated by Native American culture. I greatly enjoyed that aspect of the book and wish even more of it had been included. I also enjoyed the different points of view in the book and Ace's love for her autistic little brother. I struggled with the insta-love between Ace and John and Ace's mother constantly forcing her on Cameron. The dialogue was pretty cheesy a lot of the time but who's to say that it wasn't just a product of being teenagers.

I received this book from NetGalley ik exchange for an honest review. What a perceft summer read.I love this kind of YA!! This is the story of Ace & John, two young adults that are going to make you laugh & cry with them!! It’s a beautiful well written book. You should check it out. Definitely recommend!!

The writing style of this book is what keeps pages turning, its free-flowing, making scenes blend into the next seamlessly. the characters are great, showing a range of things that families have to deal with, in a unique way. I enjoyed the representation of the native american people, the inclusion of their culture, language and beliefs.

I'm giving this book 4 stars I was excited when I got the book and after I opened it I was sort of disappointed. I tried getting into the book but the way it was written in present tense genere and it flip flops it just wasn't my cup of tea. I still recommend the book to someone else for y'all might like it My thanks to Netgalley for this book NO compensations were received. All opinions are my own

Complementary copy given for honest review. I enjoyed this book. It had me turning page after page. I must say that I did not like the past tense to present tense back and forth. It was difficult to follow at times. But as a whole, this was a sweet book that makes you smile.

I wanted to love this book. It wasnt a bad book and I liked it, just was more hopeful that it would be a new favorite.