Conscious Caregiving Guide

Caregiving Starts Here

Pub Date 05 Nov 2019 | Archive Date 31 Jan 2020
Blue Moon Publishers, Next Chapter Press

Talking about this book? Use #ConsciousCaregivingGuide #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

What kind of caregiver are you? The Doormat? The Fighter? The Judge? What if you knew which style would be best for your own health and the health of your loved one? It is THAT important to decide now... on the way IN to the caregiving journey, one that often begins abruptly.

Lise Leblanc carefully constructs a step by step, easy to absorb plan for working through the illness of a loved one in Wish I Knew: Conscious Caregiving Guide. Here are: concrete examples self assessment quizzes real-life stories practical but quick exercises insights and strategies

Wish I Knew: Conscious Caregiving Guide will provide the help you need to tackle the caregiving role and achieve optimum wellness for yourself and your loved one.

Advance Praise

For better or worse, caregiving is simply part of everyday family life for most of us, sooner or later. So, as you explore the wonderful stories and lessons learned that are shared by Lise Leblanc in this book, I wish you peace, joy and most of all, increased awareness that will make the time you spend looking after a loved one as stress free, effective as rewarding as possible for as long as you shall live. - Caroline Tapp-McDougall, Founder of CanadaCares

EDITION Paperback
ISBN 9781988279916
PRICE CA$21.95 (CAD)

When a super-speed reader doesn't have a car for a month due to a predatory car insurance industry, you can get a LOT of reading done!! I received a temporary digital Advance Reader Copy of this book from #NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they do it better than I do 😸. What kind of caregiver are you? The Doormat? The Fighter? The Judge? What if you knew which style would be best for your own health and the health of your loved one? It is THAT important to decide now... on the way into the caregiving journey, one that often begins abruptly. Lise LeBlanc carefully constructs a step by step, easy to absorb plan for working through the illness of a loved one. As a therapist, she has seen the exhaustion and devastation this honourable role can cause, and she has also experienced caregiving first-hand in her own life. When she was a caregiver for her grandmother, Lise didn't know the things she knows now: who and how to ask for help, where and what to do when you run out of energy, love, and time, and especially when and how to take a break. Lise lived through her own journey and chronicles how you can avoid all the same mistakes as she writes in Wish I Knew: Conscious Caregivers Guide. Here are: concrete examples, self-assessment quizzes, real-life stories, practical but quick exercises, insights and strategies. Wish I Knew: Conscious Caregivers Guide will provide the help you need to tackle the caregiving role and achieve optimum wellness for yourself and your loved one. This book is the ideal companion to other books in the "Wish I Knew" series. This book could not be more relevant to my personal journey in taking care of my elderly parents - in fact, I am going to suggest that everyone in my Alzheimer/dementia course buy this book and work through it. I kept seeing myself and my sibling's roles in their caretaking and assigning the doormat/fighter/judge to us. NOT SO funny story - when I leave my parents' home (we live 60 miles apart and I am there all the time) I always strip the ned and wash the sheets and leave them to put on the ned for my next visit. Last time I was home, my brother/"the chosen one" was visiting in two days' time and I had to re-make the bed WITH THE GUEST SHEETS as "he is a guest and I am family". That did not go over well. (Nor does my sister lying and saying she is there every single day from late morning to after dinner - mom says she is there less often than I am - now I have tools to deal with that lie as a result of this book. Where is the caregiver title "lying drama queen?) The book is well written and the ideas concrete - I now need to see what other "Wish I knew" books will apply to my life as, well, life is complex when you deal with your family and people coming into the resource centre/library in desperate need of help with what is going on in their lives (and a good book!) If you have to take care of anyone with health issues, no matter what their age is, buy and read this book. Suggest that your local library buy it as well and suggest it to everyone you know who is in the situation. I am actually going to pass on the suggestion to my local LHIN, Alzheimer's Society, Cancer Society, Ronald McDonald House (I live in a city where the biggest employer is a world-class hospital system), etc. etc. etc. as they NEED to read it and suggest it to people. All their people! Decidedly, 5 out of 5 stars.

Conscious Caregiving Guide is a great book. Anyone who is a caregiver should read this book. It has great information and advice.