What's Down There?
A book about girl bodies for curious kids
by Alex Waldron
Pub Date 31 Oct 2019
Talking about this book? Be sure to tag it using #WhatsDownThere #NetGalley
All the grown-ups make up cute little names. But nobody seems to call it the same. In their Fantastic World, Stevie and her cousins, Fred & Woody, discover there is lots to learn about girl bodies with some help from Big Nan, who knows everything!
• Huge talking point right now - the charity, Eve Appeal, says girls need to use the right words ‘from the start’, that opening up conversations gives women the best chance of a healthy life, and that 44% of parents regularly use euphemisms such as ‘front bottom’ and ‘fairy’ instead of correct terms: https://dailym.ai/2kT9FNp
• Funny, engaging text and cool, hand-drawn illustrations – injecting humour through honesty to break through any nervousness around the topics covered by the Fred & Woody series
• Designed to be read-alone, or read-together, at home and in the classroom
• Initiates honest, realistic, helpful conversations from an early age
• Incredibly useful section at the back of each book packed with tips and ideas for the grown-ups to get the most from the book for their little ones, written by a highly-trained Relationships and Sex Education Trainer (Relationships Education is compulsory in UK primary and secondary schools: http://bit.ly/GovGuidelines)
• Boosts body confidence, awareness and understanding of health and hygiene, safeguarding and consent. Shows children that we are all different and perfect in our own way, in all shapes and sizes, and that their body is just that – theirs!
The Fred & Woody books are perfect for all parents, carers and pre- and primary school educators who wish to initiate honest, realistic and age-appropriate conversations with young children about their private parts and the important issues of consent and staying safe.
“I can’t wait to use the Fred & Woody books in my delivery of Relationships and Sex Education training with teachers, parents and carers!” – Mandy Lancaster, Relationships and Sex Education Trainer, Public Health Cornwall
Available in hardback (ideal for schools) and paperback (ideal for families), this is the first book in the Fred & Woody's Fantastic World series.
The second, due for release at the end of October too, is That's My Willy: A book about boy bodies for curious kids.
The next two, out in spring 2020, are: 'Our Uncles The Guncles’ and ‘Big Nan’s Last Adventure’.
A marketing and PR campaign is currently running in the UK. For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.