The Perihelion: Complete Duology

Pub Date 08 Jun 2018 | Archive Date 15 Apr 2023

One doomed city. Six inhabitants—some human. All fighting for survival.

A newly-combined edition of the critically-acclaimed duology: The Perihelion and An Obliquity. Also contains the prequel novelette, The Rue Cler Decommission.

It is Thursday, January 3, 2069: the eve of the perihelion. Night is upon Bluecore 1C (what used to be known as the city of Chicago, before the riots). Snow is falling, plans are being made, and within hours, everyone in 1C will be changed forever.

Narrated from the vantage point of six residents of 1C, The Perihelion: Complete Duology is a work set against the dystopian backdrop of near-future events. As the modern trappings of their bluecore fall apart, each must strike his or her own separate path towards salvation. Their interlaced stories become a compelling exploration of moral deviation and ultimate redemption.

One doomed city. Six inhabitants—some human. All fighting for survival.

Advance Praise

"A massive, thoughtful sci-fi saga, weighty in more ways than one but rewarding."
 - Kirkus Reviews

"Literary, character-driven science fiction at its best."
- Self-Publishing Review

"It's clear that D.M. Wozniak's future in science fiction shines bright."
- IndieReader Discovery Awards

"An intelligent, superbly written, creatively unique and complex, supremely imaginative story."
- Readers' Favorite (Five Star Review)

"One of the more innovative literary dystopian sci-fi novels you'll ever read."
- Self Publishing Review

- Kirkus Reviews

"Literary, character-driven science fiction at its best."
- Self-Publishing Review

"It's clear...

EDITION Ebook
ISBN 9781720330639

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

A very solid dystopian tale with well-written characters, an innovative plot, and good dialog. This is a talented author. Recommended.

I really appreciate the copy for review!

A well written book that I thoroughly enjoyed reading. Set in the not too distant future and following 6 main characters who's paths criss cross in the events unfolding in the book. I feel that the characters were developed well as the story progressed and the way the author interlaced their individual stories was well done. A good book based in the future that doesn't feel unrealistic. Thanks to Netgalley for giving me the opportunity to read this book.

I am very glad that I read this in this form that I did. The first book ends on a cliffhanger so being able to just continue on and read the next book was wonderful. From the very beginning, I was impressed by how quickly I was sucked into this story and the characters. I was intrigued by the descriptions of the future and learning small bits about what caused the rift in the United States resulting in BlueCores and Redlands. The reason this wasn't a 5 stars book for me is that parts of the story didn't seem to flow smoothly. Overall, I was intrigued by the storyline and characters.

A different kind of tale of darkness that will definitely give you goosebumps at several scenes along the journey of these six inhabitants of a dystopian Chicago. Layers of descriptive fantasy that hits a little too close to home in some ways will have you spending the whole weekend with The Perihelion. These characters work their way through the streets where their one goal is to stay alive. As their paths diverge, their stories intensify and their options narrow. A wonderfully different book than my "normal" reads. Loved it!!!!

I received a free copy of this book from the author. I had the opportunity to review or not.

Enter the world of the future. A world of total control. In There are people with insect DNA, wasps specifically who are great successes and perform above expectations. There are people with leopard DNA that are frightening failures. Some people voluntarily become mutilated in order to have animal capabilities unique to their own special skills and desires. But are humans really ready for this kind of manipulation.

The Perihelion explores the penchant of man to interfere with nature. But in the need to exceed what nature has crafted, man, who is not omniscient, somehow manages to create chaos even in the midst of his quest for order. This is where we find four unique creations and the people who surround them. Completely engrossing, this tale of man’s foibles a lesson in humanity. Do not underestimate the needs of the creatures we make. If we do not learn from failures of the past, we ware doomed to fail again. Or have we come far enough to have learned enough?

If you want a look at some answers, grab this book and be prepared for a fascinating read. The author’s characters are fascinating and very real. The world they live in is familiar and foreign. Their desires are so very human it is hard to remember they are not naturally created.

Great read. Great book. I would love to read other books by this author. The description was great and the characters seemed real.

Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC.

I came into this edition having already read the two main pieces of this book. This collection of Perihelion stories features: The Perihelion, An Obliquity, and a bonus novella: The Rue Cler Decommission. The books are set in a alternate version of Chicago that Wozniak has dubbed Bluecore 1c, I mean if that does not get you going what will?!, and set in the not to distant - distant - future. Its a cyberpunk dystopia where daily survival is the main objective of life. Among the many moving parts in these stoires is the utterly fascinating crew of characters. There are six main characters and they are not 100% human our six main people are part animal. The animal parts of our main characters imbue them with amazing abilities as to be expected though this creates other problems. For instance there is Leo who is part leopard and the writing in those scenes is sharp and tense and, I suppose leopard-like, in any-case it works and Wozniak does an effective and thrilling job going at all the angles here with the animal-people abilities.

The concepts that Wozniak weaves are compelling and as the story lines merge and and the characters begin to intertwine this book will be in your hands to the end. UNPUTDOWNABLE. Immensely readable and deep and lyrical and just totally beautiful. This is special science fiction. The sci-fi effects are not all that wholly original per say but what Wozniak does with them is truly special. It is full of bold beautiful writing.

Deep. Immersive science fiction.

** Thank you NetGalley and Publisher for giving me a free electronic ARC in exchange for an honest review. **

It has taken me a while to finish this book, and for that I apologize. I enjoyed the complex lives of the characters and the world, but I had a hard time sticking with the story. I found myself putting it down and not thinking about it for several days. Nevertheless I finally sat down and read through the book and I was not disappointed in the slightest, it’s beautifully crafted and I’m glad that I received the duology so I wasn’t left with a cliff hanger.