Caregiving Insights

Lessons Learned

Pub Date 05 Nov 2019 | Archive Date 01 Feb 2020
Blue Moon Publishers, Next Chapter Press

Talking about this book? Use #CaregivingInsights #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Focusing on what other caregivers have learned, from setting boundaries and self care to being vulnerable and taking time to listen, the short stories in Caregiving Insights offer gentle advice from a trusted friend who has been there. Each story shines a light on just one facet of the process, so you can return to this book when your story begins to coincide.

A Note From the Publisher

You don’t need to learn about caregiving all on your own. Related titles: Conscious Caregiving Guide by Lise Leblanc (9781988279916, November 5 2019, $21.95 CAD)

EDITION Paperback
ISBN 9781988279930
PRICE CA$21.95 (CAD)

When it is snowy and cold outside (and my car is buried under 2ft of ❄️ ), superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL I requested and received a temporary digital Advance Reader Copy of this book from #NetGalley, the publisher and the author in exchange for an honest review. From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they do it better than I do 😸. Caregiving can be lonely, no matter what stage you’re at. Millions of people worldwide struggle with caring for loved ones while still trying to care for themselves. You don’t need to learn about caregiving all on your own. In Caregiving Insights, author Lise Leblanc has compiled brief stories and lessons from experts in the field and people just like you who have been caregivers themselves. Focusing on what other caregivers have learned, from setting boundaries and self-care to being vulnerable and taking time to listen, the short stories in Caregiving Insights offer gentle advice from a trusted friend who has been there. Each story shines a light on just one facet of the process, so you can return to this book when your story begins to coincide. This book is edited by Lise Leblanc and features stories by the following: Lina Miranda, Amanda Gagne, Penny Tremblay, Lise Leblanc, Karen Hourtovenko, Bonnie Mulvihill, Wendy Hill, Sandi Emdin, Carole Tessier, Lynne Golding, Kimberley Rivando-Robb, Theresa Albert, and Caroline Tapp-Macdougall. Having already inhaled Wish I knew: "Conscious Caregiving Guide - Caregiving Starts Here" and "Wish I Knew: Conscious Caregiving Guide Workbook" I was weirdly excited to read this book as I was really wanting to know what others were going through. Yep, it's an easy day in my house but I am cringing at what is down the pipe with my mom and dad. The is excellently written and presented and a must for every LHIN, Health Unit, Alzheimer's Society, etc. etc. in the world. This is not an easy book to read nor is its subject, but if you are a caregiver, you need to read this book and the previous two: treat yourself to all three of them or give them to someone you know who is in this boat: add in some fuzzy slippers, some great tea and it will be a welcome addition to the intended's life. As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it ☕☕☕☕☕

This book could easily be called Chicken Soup for the Caregiver's Soul. It's fluffier than I was hoping for, though I still learned from it. A collection of essays from people who have experienced different phases of care giving and receiving, all the writing has a gentle, positive tone. It's full of personal anecdotes and reflections. And while the blurb describes that clearly, I was still looking for some hard and fast Do's and Don'ts, because my own journey as a caregiver has been a rollercoaster. After reading this book, I realized my journey is similar to others' and it's going to be unique because my family and I are unique, with our own specific set of challenges. I recommend this book for caregivers looking for support and insight, and I'll definitely look into the author's other books.

This is really good. Lots of helpful perspectives on many relevant topics related to caregiving. Not every contributor will click for every reader (not should it), but I think most will. There is a lot of helpful info and advice and wisdom here. Recommended. Thanks very much for the review copy!!