Miss Unlikely

From Farm Girl to Miss America

Pub Date 01 Oct 2019 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #MissUnlikely #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

From a double-wide trailer on a farm in Georgia to the 2016 Miss America pageant, Betty Maxwell was not a likely contender for the crown. Few people, least of all Betty, thought she’d bring home the title, but she won by being herself—mistakes and all. Miss Unlikely takes you through Betty’s unconventional childhood, the surprising pageant journey, an incredible year as Miss America, a fairytale wedding, and everything in between. She offers wisdom on school, boys, self-esteem, choices, disappointments, insecurities, mentors, cyberbullies, loss, and more. Behind-the-scenes moments and previously untold stories show how her faith and family carried her through. Betty’s personal and sincere account will remind you that the only way to get where you want to go is through God’s unique plan. Find confidence in being you, and turn your dreams into reality.

Advance Praise

When I first heard the name Betty Maxwell, I knew I’d be hearing that name for years to come. I was in Winnipeg, Canada, at the time and on the set of DeVon Franklin’s film Breakthrough to coach its star actress, Chrissy Metz. My associate, Nathan Nesbitt, told me a manager named Steve Ivey was on the line and wanted to discuss having me coach Betty, a former Miss America. Of course, the name Betty conjured up in my mind the image of a perfect, all-American housewife baking an apple pie.You can take Betty out of the kitchen, but you can’t take the heart of the farm girl out of Betty. That’s what makes her so lovable. America’s already fallen in love with her, and it would be highly unlikely for this American Miss—with her incomparable talent and beauty—to accomplish anything shy of captivating audiences from all around the world for years to come. —John Kirby, Hollywood’s premier acting coach and founder of The John Kirby Studio

EDITION Paperback