The Show Girl

A Novel

Pub Date 10 Aug 2021 | Archive Date 24 Aug 2021

ISBN 9781250200150
PRICE CA$37.99 (CAD)

Again, Harrison has written a beautiful, rich novel that details tge life of a young woman during the 1920’s. Her earlier novel, MONTAUK, was a favorite of mine. The protagonist is Olive who comes to NYC for a career in the theater after dealing with tumultuous experiences earlier. She represents the suppression of women and the totality of a woman’s dependence on husbands and fathers. Olive is successful and rises to fame as a ZIEGFELD GIRL. Despite her success, she faces censure from her family and much of society. As we read about Olive, we also view the lives of the very wealthy and visit the famous camps of the Adirondack Mountains. The author has done a truly remarkable job of research, combined with her writing skills, which brings us to these “camps.” Sometimes mistakes can be fixed, so this is a story of hope. I found this book interesting and highly readable. I think book groups will enjoy it. Thank you Netgalley for another wonderful book by Nicola Harrison.

Date reviewed/posted: February 5, 2021 Publication date: August 10, 2021 When life for the entire galaxy and planet has turned on its end, you are continuing to #maskup and #lockdown to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation as the #secondwave is upon us, AND it is a loverly minus 26 degrees, snowy and icy where I am currently stuck living, so superspeed readers like me can read 300+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. I requested and received a temporary digital Advance Reader Copy of this book from #NetGalley, the publisher and the author in exchange for an honest review. From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they do it better than I do 😸. Nicola Harrison's The Show Girl gives a glimpse of the glamorous world of the Ziegfeld Follies, through the eyes of a young midwestern woman who comes to New York City to find her destiny as a Ziegfeld Follies star. It's 1927 when Olive McCormick moves from Minneapolis to New York City determined to become a star in the Ziegfeld Follies. Extremely talented as a singer and dancer, it takes every bit of perseverance to finally make it on stage. And once she does, all the glamour and excitement is everything she imagined and more—even worth all the sacrifices she has had to make along the way. Then she meets Archie Carmichael. Handsome, wealthy—the only man she's ever met who seems to accept her modern ways—her independent nature and passion for success. But once she accepts his proposal of marriage he starts to change his tune, and Olive must decide if she is willing to reveal a devastating secret and sacrifice the life she loves for the man she loves. What a great read - I loved the mix of history and the ladies we used to call showgirls as they were almost the Kardashians of their time ... they were that famous. (But not full of implants, Botox,plastic-sugeried to death nor fake tanned within an inch of their lives!) The story was well researched and it will be a wonderful and entertaining read if you have never heard of the Zigfield Follies before. I will suggest it to friends, family, patrons and strangers on mass transit alike as it is that good. Unfortunately, you cannot read it until August - Take this book to the beach (or your back yard, porch or balcony) and enjoy it - just wear a tonne of SPF110 as you will lose track of time as you read this. - If we are in the 3rd or 4th wave/mutation of COVID19 by then, stay inside: no tan is worth dying for. As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I simply adore emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube Millionaires/snowflakes / literally-like-overusers etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🦚🦚🦚🦚🦚

I adored Harrison's novel Montauk so when I was offered this ARC, I jumped at the chance. And it was lovely! Olive is a young performer who moves with her family to New York and joins the Ziegfeld Follies. She's dynamic and fans love her. When she meets suave and handsome Archie, she believes she has found the man of her dreams. But she's hiding a secret from her past that prevents them marrying and having children. There are lots of surprises and the book is deftly written, revealing the inequities and hardships for young women in the 1920's. But the best part is that redemption is possible and some mistakes can be rectified. This is a sure-fire winner in my eyes!

I didn’t want this book to end; I loved it! I loved Olive’s dedication and perseverance to reach her dream of stardom. The story was so moving, it was beautifully written. I look forward to more books my Nicola!

Show Girl is one of the best books I’ve read this year. I loved going along with Olive in her journey to bring a Ziegfeld girl and beyond. Couldn’t put it down!

The Show Girl was the first book I have read by Nicola Harrison and I loved it! I loved seeing life through the eyes of a Ziegfeld girl and all the glitz and glamour that was associated with being one of Ziegfeld's chosen. Olive was such a strong and independent female character. I didn't always agree with her choices and behaviors, but I enjoyed watching her navigate through the life she had chosen for herself. Archie was such a kind soul and I appreciated how he accepted Olive for who she was. Not only is this is a beautiful romance, but also a story about never giving up on you dreams and passions. Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the opportunity to read this book for an honest review.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for generously granting me an ARC of this book for a fair and honest review: I loved it. Loved, loved, loved. I have a bright spot in my heart for stories of showgirls back in the Hollywood golden era, and Harrison has put so much effort into delving into the life of a striving showgirl. We get to tag along in her realistic and fulfilling rise, and Harrison makes sure that we are fully present in that world, in that time, belonging alongside the characters. What a smart and slippery trek through the evolving relationship, and without giving away too much, this is one smart journey, so realistic in how the marriage starts its reveal as not all you think it is. Where other novels lose a reader by zipping through relationship dynamics, The Show Girl shows 'em how to do it right. I loved living in this book. This is a beach read, for sure.