Out of the Cave

Stepping into the Light when Depression Darkens What You See

Pub Date 25 May 2021 | Archive Date 18 Jan 2022
Nelson Books, Thomas Nelson

Talking about this book? Use #OutoftheCave #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Do you feel guilt and shame about negative thoughts and emotions and your inability to overcome them? Bestselling author and pastor Chris Hodges helps those struggling with depression find liberating solutions by drawing from the life of the prophet Elijah.

You might be asking, Should a Christian even be having these struggles?

Depression is the number one health issue in the world today, yet those who suffer are still sometimes stigmatized—especially followers of Jesus. Many assume God's peace, power, and protection should prevent us from ever feeling anxious, depressed, and afraid. But the Bible teaches otherwise, particularly in its depiction of the life of the Old Testament prophet Elijah.

In Out of the Cave, Chris Hodges uses Elijah's life to show us that everyone is susceptible to depression. Even when we're walking closely with God, we can still stumble and get lost in the wilderness of tangled emotions. But we don't have to stay there, because we serve a God who meets us in the darkness. Out of the Cave helps us

remove the stigma of depression and realize we're not alone;understand the ways our temperament and view of God affect the way we handle depression; andlearn a comprehensive approach to wellness—mind, body, and soul—from Elijah's journey.

With his trademark blend of Bible-based wisdom, practical application, and vulnerability in sharing his personal struggles, Hodges explores the causes of depression we can't change, the contributors we can conquer, and offers transformative hope and spiritual power to help us win the battle.

Send to Kindle (PDF)