The Nature of a Lady

Pub Date 04 May 2021 | Archive Date 11 Jun 2021
Bethany House, Bethany House Publishers

Talking about this book? Use #TheNatureofaLady #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

1906

Oliver Tremayne--gentleman and clergyman--is determined to discover what happened to his sister, and he's happy to accept the help of the girl now living in what should have been Beth's summer cottage . . . especially when he realizes it's the curious young lady he met briefly two years ago, who shares his love of botany and biology. But the hunt for his sister involves far more than nature walks, and he can't quite believe all the secrets Beth had been keeping from him.

1906

THE NATURE OF A LADY is the first novel in the Secrets of the Isles series by ROSEANNA M WHITE, and I cannot wait for the next one! With a history of smugglers, the search for treasure, "sightings" on Samson Island and the far fetched tales of old Tas-gwynn Gilbert, the stage is set for excitement and intrigue. Add to this the confusion between the two Elizabeths and at least two rogue factions who are trying to find the treasure, and you have an interesting and nail biting plot. Lady Elizabeth Sinclair does not have a good self image. Being more interested in science and plants than making an impression in society, she is delighted when her maid, Mabena Moon, suggests they hire a cottagel on St Mary's, an island in the Scillies, for the summer where she can indulge her passion for botany and the outdoors and hopefully give the irritating Lord Sheridan, who her brother has chosen for her to marry, time to forget all about her. Oliver Tremayne, vicar and botanist, who she met two years previously, lives on Tresco Island and they become re-aquainted when he comes to the cottage to look for his sister Beth, who has disappeared. Will he be able to convince Libby that science and faith in God do not need to be at odds? There are so many interesting characters, for example Mamm-wynn, Oliver's grandmother, who seems to live in another world and who takes to Libby immediately. I like to see the way the author contrasts the people of the island, who are all part of one large and mostly loving family, with society families who are tied up in useless pursuits and look down on anyone they feel is beneath them. I will not tell you any more of the story as I do not want to spoil things for you. It is a delightful and inspirational read and one I can highly recommend. I was given a free copy of the book by NetGalley from Bethany House Publishers,. The opinions in this review are completely my own.

"1906 Lady Elizabeth "Libby" Sinclair, with her love of microscopes and nature, isn't favored in society. She flees to the beautiful Isles of Scilly for the summer and stumbles into the dangerous secrets left behind by her holiday cottage's former occupant, also named Elizabeth, who mysteriously vanished. Oliver Tremayne - gentleman and clergyman - is determined to discover what happened to his sister, and he's happy to accept the help of the girl now living in what should have been Beth's summer cottage...especially when he realizes it's the curious young lady he met briefly two years ago, who shares his love of botany and biology. But the hunt for his sister involves far more than nature walks, and he can't quite believe all the secrets Beth had been keeping from him. As Libby and Oliver work together, they find ancient legends, pirate wrecks, betrayal, and the most mysterious phenomenon of all: love." Ah, an idyll escape to Italy, with pirates thrown in!

This. Book. Is. Fantastic. I've read a number of White's books over the years, and a few have stood out as downright exceptional; notably, 'The Codebreakers' and 'Shadows over England' series in particular. 'The Nature of a Lady,' White's newest release and first book in the 'Secrets of the Isles' series (YAY new series!), is absolutely the latest addition to that shortlist. Part mystery, part romance, with a good bit of theology entwined within both--this read is a feast for the senses. A perfect read during a pandemic, allowing the reader to escape their lockdown status if even for a short while (and, perhaps, mentally plan their next post-pandemic trip?). Highly recommended, especially for fans of the aforementioned series. White has hit another high note with this release. (And can I say how beautiful the cover is, too?!) I received an eARC of the book from the publisher. All opinions are my own.

I found the Isles of Scilly in The Nature of a Lady an interesting setting. When Libby escapes the rule laden society she lives in and takes her lady’s maid with her to the islands to explore the flora and fauna, she’s awakened to a life where she can be herself. This book is full of mystery, adventure and romance. With many layers and fascinating characters, Roseanna White has created a tale to savor. The descriptions gave me a feel for the islands, creating an image of life on the sea. The characters, from Oliver’s Mamm-wynn to Libby’s bossy brother, Bram, interlace to make a lovely story of family, faith, and love. I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

The Nature of A Lady by Rosanna White is set in 1906 on the Isles of Scilly. Lady Elizabeth Sinclair is fascinated with microscopes and nature. Which sets her apart from society. She and her maid holiday for the summer on St. Mary's Island. The former cottage resident is also named Elizabeth, who has vanished. Oliver Tremayne, a vicar and brother of the missing Elizabeth, meets up with Libby. Which starts a hunt for Beth and the mystery surrounding her disappearance. There are stories and legends about ghosts and pirates. Which appears to try to draw one in. There was an abundance of explanations that might have been shortened just a bit. But I really enjoyed the third part of the book, with a clear gospel message and enemies making peace with one another. I have enjoyed Rosanna's other books. Her writing style has always been very engaging. This one was nice, interesting setting, mostly good characters and sound faith message. I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book which I received from Net Galley and the publisher. All views expressed are my honest opinion.

The Nature of a Lady, by Roseanna M. White, is a tale set in the early 1900s. Lady Elizabeth Sinclair is looking to escape her brother's attempts to marry her off. Her lady's maid, Mabena, has the perfect solution. A summer vacation on the isle of St. Mary's: a favorite vacation spot for many in the upper class! From the moment Elizabeth (Libby) sets foot on this island, mysteries seems to flourish. First, the cottage that Libby rented has been recently abandoned by another Elizabeth (Beth) and this woman is now missing. Next, she meets Oliver Tremayne, a local clergyman who has come to the island to discover the whereabouts of his sister, Beth. Libby had met Oliver earlier in her life and found in him a kindred-spirit. You soon get the sense that this spirit is still alive and thriving! This is an interesting tale to follow, as these three make their way around the islands looking for Beth. You will learn a lot of interesting truths about all three by the end of this tale! I received an e-copy of this book from netgalley.com.

I have been a longtime fan of Roseanna White's novels. Her Shadows over England and The Codebreakers are a couple of my all-time favorite series. The Secrets of the Isles series promise to have a different type story, yet one that will surely please its reader's hearts. With an eclectic cast of characters and vivid descriptions that will fuel the imagination, this captivating story has set a high bar of excellence for the rest of the series. Ms. White crafts an intoxicating blend of mystery, tales of pirate treasure spun from legends of old, stunning setting and a sweet romance delicately laced with the faith thread I have come to expect in her stories. I loved Libby's strive for independence, her journey of faith. But a couple of other characters that I simply adored were Mamm-wyn and Benna. I definitely treasure the nuggets of wisdom dropped by the older cast of characters, but I also found Benna's strength of character and past intriguing. Hoping to find them both gracing the pages of future stories in the series. It was with a satisfied smile that I turned the last page, knowing I would be able to visit the Scilly Islands again. This is a book for the keeper shelf. Highly recommend! I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book which I received from the author/publisher. I was not required to write a review. All opinions expressed are my own.

"The Nature of a Lady" was an enjoyable read - not precisely as I expected, but it was a good surprise nonetheless! The story takes place in 1906, but it nearly has a more ancient feel as it is based in the Scillies islands (near Cornwall), which is a rather isolated place. Lady Elizabeth "Libby" Sinclair, a young women more at ease in the middle of nature than among the upper class, decides to spend the summer in the Scillies with her maid Mabena (who I am surprised in not mentioned in the summary, for she plays a rather important role). Libby moves into a small cottage who was previously rented by her namesake, Elizabeth "Beth", and soon starts receiving mysterious packages in their name. It quickly appears that "Beth", the sister of Reverend Oliver, has disappeared while looking for a long-lost treasured while a young man is found dead. On her quest to resolve Beth's mystery, Libby gets to know the island and its inhabitants to whom she quickly feels attached - and reciprocally. But back home, her brother doesn't know that she left for the summer, and he will soon come to bring her back and try to marry her off to his friend... Something I especially enjoyed in the book was the description of the islands - I really want to visit them, now! As I am a little curious, I had a look online at the Abbey Garden mentioned in the book, and I am very impressed by their beauty - I understand why Libby and Oliver love this place. I wish they would have spend more time there, though, and that Libby's interest in nature was a bit deeper. I felt it was more of an excuse to give a background (and/or a very nice pun in the title) than a really important part of the story. And although I liked Libby, I felt her character could have also been a bit more intricate - she's rather "flat", apart from her growing interest in religion - which happens rather fast and which is not something I'm personally interested in. Oliver and Mabena were on the contrary interesting protagonists with more interesting personalities. The secondary characters, such as Mamm-wynn, were also nicely developed, although I would have like to know a bit more about Beth. I guess we will get to know her better in the following books of the "Secrets of the Isles" series, which I am looking forward to discovering hopefully soon! The plot was interesting; there wasn't too heavy a mystery but still it gave something to follow all along and made the story a bit more intriguing. I liked that, in spite of the old treasure, there was no alternance between two times in history (apart from the very beginning - I didn't really get why a prologue was included, but why not). Overall, this was an enjoyable read which I recommend. *I received an eARC of this book and this is my honest opinion*

An enchanting story from Roseanna M. White! The Nature of a Lady is inspirational, soul-stirring, and wonderfully romantic. I absolutely loved the charming, intriguing setting, and I can’t wait to continue reading about these characters! I’ll admit, it took a little while for the story to grab me, but once it did I was completely hooked. There were times I didn’t feel like I knew Libby and Oliver as well as I could have, but I grew to love their inspiring personalities and eccentricities. White has an incredible knack for creating intensely relatable characters; I adored the side stories and am so eager to learn more about these people I feel like I know in real life. The Nature of a Lady is not to be missed. Readers will be captured by White’s exquisite prose and impeccable talent for crafting a riveting tale. This is a wonderful beginning to a series I cannot wait to continue. 4.5/5 stars I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

This is one of my favorite authors and this read sure does not disappoint. Quaint island cottages, pirates, treasure, and a free summer before her life is supposed to change forever. This is the freedom that Lady Elizabeth "Libby" Sinclair is offered and approved of by her mother, and the suggestion comes from her maid Mabena Moon [love the name], and we find out why. What an ideal place for this young woman who loves nothing better than to study the fauna in this subtropical climate. We are given a bit of everything here, including a Love of God, and a love of family, along with danger, and a bit of romance thrown in. In the end, I loved the decisions made and how things worked out, and now I can't wait to return! I received this book through Net Galley and the Publisher Bethany House, and was not required to give a positive review.

What a lovely first book in The Secrets of the Isles! The Nature of a Lady takes place in 1909 on the Isles of Scilly, a beautiful place I was not aware existed, now on my bucket list of places to visit! Author Roseanna M White with her skillful pen draws you into this compelling story of belonging, and personal growth, where the main characters encounter mystery, danger, humor, and romance. I loved it! Lady Elizabeth "Libby" Sinclair longs for a break from societal expectations, she has different interests and gifts than most women in her social set. Her mother and brother allow her to travel with her lady's maid Mabena to the Isles of Scilly for a relaxing vacation near Mabena's hometown. Libby is a nature lover and brings her sketch pad & microscope to study the unique flowers and plants that grow there. Here she meets warm and welcoming people who are undeterred by her title and treat her the same as everyone else. She thrives in this setting and meets Oliver Tremayne, another botanist and nature lover. They are drawn into the mystery of finding his missing sister. Excellent character development, descriptions of the beautiful islands, and a great cast of secondary characters. I especially loved Oliver's grandma Mamm-wynn, Mabena, Casek, Sheridan, and Elizabeth's brother Lord Telford. Some of my favorite quotes from The Nature of a Lady: "How lovely to just be who you were meant to be." "I was planted in a garden in which I don't belong. And I don't know how to flourish there anymore." "And so, we learn what we can and make the best decision possible, do the work to the best of our ability, tend it with care. And we pray, trusting that the Master Gardener will bless our efforts." I highly recommend The Nature of a Lady, and I cannot wait for the next story in this series! Thank you to the publisher, and net galley for allowing me to read an early copy. All opinions are my own.

Happy sigh, this was such a good book! I have been loving Roseanna M White’s books, and this book was no different. The Nature of a Lady is the first book in Roseanna M White’s new series The Secrets of the Isles. This was such a cute book with lovable characters. I loved the story line, and I couldn’t put it down. Lady Elizabeth Sincalir, Libby, didn’t fit in with society or those around her. She loved microscopes and science, and she greatly disliked going out into society. She flees to the Isles of Scilly and finds a dangerous mystery left behind by a girl named Elizabeth who mysteriously vanished. Oliver Tremayne, gentleman and clergyman, is determined to find his sister. He’s happy to accept the help of the girl who is now living in the cottage that Beth his sister lived in. As he spends time with Libby, he remembers when he first met her two years ago, a girl who loved botany and science as much as he did. But the hunt for his sister is more daunting than he could have imagined. I loved Libby, she was a lovely person and yet she was also on the edge of society. I think one of the reasons I liked Libby was because she was so relatable. She didn’t quite fit in and that made it hard for her. However, going to the Isles, it was like she found herself. It was super sweet to read about Libby finding her wings. She learned to find her place in life and accept herself. But she also had to learn what it meant to have a Creator who didn't make mistakes. A Creator that loved her for who she was. Oliver was such a good guy, you couldn’t help but like him. He greatly cared for those around him and he felt the responsibility of leading his family well. Sigh, I just really liked him and I wanted him to be happy. It was super cute to read about him with Libby, I feel like he fell for her from the beginning. However, Oliver was also struggling with finding his place. He was looking for the person who completed him. He was weary, and Libby completed him Wow, the story line was amazing! I didn't know what was going to happen or what was going on. I ended up staying up late to finish it, it was that good! Oliver and Libby were surrounded by the mystery of where Beth went and the secrets she was chasing. As they spent time together, they started to fall for each other. But will the secret’s Beth is hiding keep them apart? And will their love survive their different stations? I loved the characters and the hints of other books! I am eagerly waiting for the next books. I need to know what happens next. But don’t worry this does have HEA. I have to say that this was another winner, I am excited to see what comes next in this series! The Nature of a Lady was a wonderful book and I would totally recommend it! The Nature of a Lady is a clean, historical romance with hints of a mystery. I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book which I received from the author. All views expressed are only my honest opinion, I was not required to write a positive review.

Roseanna White is a masterclass is character creation and world building. It doesn’t matter how far fetched a plot may be (centuries old hidden pirate treasure is pretty imaginative), Roseanna has a way of not only making you believe it’s possible but that you are a front row spectator as the story unfolds. The setting for this book was the Isles of Scilly which had never heard of. Through her extensive research and expertly crafted writing I was able to perfectly imagine the islands and they mysteries they hold. I quite enjoyed Libby’s character and watching her blossom during her time on the island. But I have to say Oliver stole my heart. He was a soft hearted, generous, family oriented, tender, imperfect human being that captivated me from the moment he appeared on the page. This was a spectacular read that was incredibly enjoyable from start to end. I received a free copy from Bethany House in exchange for an honest review. The opinions expressed are entirely my own.

"He knows your name. Your true name, the one at the heart of you that has never been spoken. He knows you, and He calls you by it. You, in all your uniqueness...He knows how you fit into this world." What a delightful start to the Secrets of the Isles series! Roseanna White is a master storyteller who weaves a fascinating tale with intriguing plot infused with mystery and suspense, witty dialogue among the 1900 English nobility and commonfolk, lovable characters who are diverse in background and interests, and deeply profound spiritual truths. The central theme of 'to know and be known' is beautifully laid out in the plot and in the characters' lives. This book has more mystery and shroud of intrigue surrounding the plot than her previous books and the plot has some nicely placed twists. If you enjoy historical fiction with a side of pirates and treasure-hunting, you will absolutely adore this book. Libby is an unusual earl's sister - a naturalist with a keen scientific mind and a refreshing innocence, sweetness, and tenderness. She feels lost in her world until she comes to the Isles of Scilly. Oliver is a vicar on the islands who is truly lovely - so compassionate, caring, and loving. They're brought together when Oliver's sister goes missing and Libby becomes embroiled in the mystery and danger surrounding her disappearance. Mabena, Libby's maid, and Casek, Oliver's life-long nemesis, are fun and their relationship adds a different dimension to the plot. I can't wait for the next books in the series to get to know the other characters better. I received a copy of the book from Bethany House Publishers and was under no obligation to post a positive comment. All opinions are solely my own.

When I was asked to join the launch team for The Nature of a Lady I was thrilled, but I also did not know what to expect. I have never read one of Roseanna M. White’s stories, but this story was instantly captivating! I loved how unexpectedly fun it was. I loved the idea of so many girls being named Elizabeth. That was a plot that I have not read before which was wonderful. This story is different from others because it takes the idea of mistaken identity to a whole new level. It combines mistaken identity with adventure and romance which is just an amazing combination. I am always looking for wholesome books and this story definitely fits into that category. The romance is delightful and uplifting! If you love adventure, pirates, nature, romance, and mistaken identities this is the story for you. I highly recommend this story because it is captivating the whole time and uplifting. As one of the main characters is a reverend religion is to be expected, but the religion aspects were uplifting and hopeful rather than forceful. If you want a delightful and intriguing read this is the story for you!

Lady Elizabeth Sinclair and her ladies’ maid, Mabena Moon, escape on holiday to the Isles of Scilly. It’s 1906, and Libby doesn’t fit in. She’d rather look through a microscope than flirt over her fan. But her brother has declared she’ll marry his best friend, Lord Sheridan. Libby abhors the thought of marrying a man who ruins nature to dig for artifacts. When Moon suggests spending the summer on St. Mary, Libby hopes Lord Sheridan will drop the idea of a wedding. As long as her brother doesn’t find out her whereabouts, she should have a carefree summer to categorize, paint, and study. Upon arriving at the tiny cottage by the sea, Libby realizes the former occupant, also named Elizabeth, has left in a hurry. The next day, a mysterious man leaves her a cannonball. Later the same day, a different man delivers a letter addressed to Elizabeth to the cottage. Oliver Tremayne—gentleman and vicar on the Island of Tresco in the Scillies, can’t understand why his sister, Beth, has failed to keep her promise of writing twice a week. Fearing something has happened to her, he goes to her cottage on nearby St. Mary, only to discover his sister missing and a different Elizabeth in residence. An Elizabeth he met briefly two years ago who shares his love for botany, Latin, and categorizing nature. A woman he’s never forgotten. Can Libby, Mabena, and Oliver find the missing Elizabeth before something horrible happens to her? And how can a vicar fall in love with a scientific woman who has big questions about God? What I Love About this Book While not a scientist, I can relate to Libby’s aversion to polite society and love of nature. She struggles to reconcile a personal God who cares with the order science claims comes from evolution. White has created a charming cast of characters fully of whimsy who balance out the scientists. She includes intrigue, mystery, family feuds, and charming details of life on a small group of islands off the coast of Cornwall. Readers will fall in love with both the setting and the characters. I couldn’t put the book down and felt sad when it ended because now, I’ll have to wait for the next book in The Secrets of the Isle series. Fans of Sarah E. Ladd, Michele Griep, and Kristi Ann Hunter will enjoy this book

In The Nature of a Lady, we follow the story of Libby, short for Elizabeth, as she feels stifled by society and her family, and decided to take a break to the Scilly Islands, where she can pursue her biology studies without hindrance. Or at least, that’s what she thought, because soon she discovers that another Elizabeth who stayed in the cottage before her has gone missing, and weird things are happening when some people think she is the missing girl... A trope that never tires is the mistaken identity trope, it’s just so much fun! And very intruiging, as you try to find out what’s going on alongside Libby. It seems everyone has secrets, including her maid who she is actually friends with, and a kind vicar that is the other Elizabeth’s brother, who helps her but seems to hold something back. But it’s not just an adventure, there is much depth in this book. All the characters are fleshed out with their own wants and personalities (and there are quite a lot!) and the feel of this island is just truly magical. You might even begin to believe in pirate treasure... there are spiritual lessons too, as Libby slowly starts to believe and trust in God. And Oliver has so much kindness and love for everyone, it’s amazing to witness. Her fiery stubborn maid Mabena is very much fun, and plays a big role in the story - her heated arguments with her nemesis Casek make me chuckle. Oh, and Mamm-wyn is the sweetest person, she deserves her own novel. I love how Roseanna M. White uses what we think of as disability and shows how she is so much more than her dementia. All in all, I really liked the story. The mystery was really good, the pacing and writing too. I have to admit, I personally liked the Shadows over England series better, those books really spoke to me, where this one feels more like entertainment all in all. Nothing wrong with that though, and I liked it very much! I received a free e-copy from Netgalley but this hasn’t influenced my opinion.

Exciting new series by this author, this one starts us off with a brief prologue set in the 1600’s then starts the regular story off in 1900. We meet Libby (Elizabeth) Sinclair, her mother and her maid Moon (Mabena Moon) as they embark on a boat ride to the Scillies Isles, where they will be staying on the one named St. Mary. There they discover another Elizabeth had been staying in the same cottage but had up and left. We also meet Ollie Tremayne (Oliie), his grandmother (Mann-wyn), grandfather (Tas-gwyn), Casek Wearne, Enyon, Lord Sinclair, Bram Telford (Elizabeth’s brother), Charlotte Wight, (Lottie), Emily Scofield, Oliver’s sister Elizabeth (Beth) and a few others island residents. This story draws you right in with Libby’s interest in flora and fauna and being excited to draw and study specimens on the Isles. Oliver is the Vicar of the island Tresco, where Moon is from. We are quickly brought into the mystery of the cabin that was left, though the person’s belongings are still there. Looking forward to what mysteries the rest of this series bring us. A complimentary copy was provided by Bethany House. A review was not required and all thoughts and opinions are my own.

In the first installment of her newest series, The Secrets of the Isles, Roseanna M. White transports her readers to the fascinating history, culture, and geography of the Scilly Isles off the southwestern tip of England. The Nature of a Lady's heroine, Lady Elizabeth "Libby" Sinclair, hasn't ever felt that she belongs among London's society and decides to spend an idyllic summer in the Isles with her maid. When she arrives at her cottage, however, she discovers its former occupant has mysteriously vanished. Libby and her maid, who hails from the Isles, join with the missing girl's brother, the dashing Oliver Tremayne, to find her. The team wade through ancient legends, treasure maps, and forbidding caves and castles as the search becomes more fascinating and dangerous. What will they discover about the nature of science, history, faith and love? The Nature of a Lady is nothing short of White at her finest. I adored her Ladies of the Manor series (A Lady Unrivaled, The Reluctant Duchess, The Lost Heiress), liked her Shadows over England series, and tolerated her Codebreakers series, but if this first installment is any indication, I may soon have a new favorite. The characters were believable and dynamic, the plot was fast paced and full of adventure, and her overarching theme of finding the difficult balance between faith and science was compelling. I'll be anxiously awaiting the next novel and a return trip to the Scilly Isles! I received a free copy from the publisher. No review was required, and all opinions are my own.

The Nature of a Lady by Susanna White was another great read. I thoroughly enjoy how she makes her characters different and quirky. Libby has a love for nature that makes her not fit in. I enjoyed that her family loved her and wanted to protect her in their own way. Some of my favorite scenes where with her and Oliver’s grandma. Don’t you want to feel that the place knows your name? Oliver was so accepting of her quirks and they seemed perfect for each other. Oliver is trying to find his sister and realizes that Libby has been mistaken for her. White has a unique ability to draw you into the story and care about the characters. My favorite part of the book was when the author shared that their would be more books about the characters and how she came about the story. I received this book from Netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review. You can see my full review at More Than a Review dot com where I rate the level of sex, violence, language and drug/alcohol use in books.

ABSOLUTELY ENTHRALLED WITH THIS STORY Having 4 Elizabeths noted in the story was such a fun concept (especially if one's middle name happens to be that as well -smile). As the layers of the mystery developed and eventually unfolded, getting to know the characters was something I truly enjoyed. What made them more interesting was my initial judgment of some of them changed later on as I came to understand them better; they were not predictable. Oliver's 95-year-old grandmother is something special. And his grandfather, filled with kindness and tall tales was just what you'd want. I also liked Darling, the kitten. Libby and Oliver truly seem to "fit" without even having to try which made the reading of their story all the more pleasant. Favorite Quote: "Everyone in the Scillies knew that when Oliver Tremayne took hold of your arm and looked deep into your eyes, he saw right down to your soul." Tea Quote: "...his hands accepted by rote the mug of piping hot tea someone passed him. Old Mrs. Gillis always had it ready for the racers when they got back." I give this a hearty 5 stars and am happy to recommend it, with thanks to the publisher and author for a gifted copy. All opinions are my own without compensation or expectation. The author has shared some lovely descriptions and photos of The Abbey Gardens that are featured in the book here: https://www.roseannamwhite.com/2021/04/a-tour-of-the-abbey-gardens.html which can only add to the overall impression of the story. In addition to MY BLOG, Reviews posted at: Author’s Website in her shop Amazon Books A Million Barnes & Noble CBD GoodReads [+1 QUOTE ADDED TO QUOTE SECTION AS WELL] Google Play Kobo My Pinterest My IG

The first thing that came to my mind after finishing Roseanna M. White's The Nature of a Lady was that I was so glad that this is going to be a series. I was nowhere near ready to say goodbye to these characters by the end of the story, and I'm only sorry that it's taken me this long to finally pick up a novel by this extremely talented storyteller. Roseanna's newest release is set on the Isles of Scilly in 1906, and the atmosphere is beautifully described and built up to almost be a character in its own right. We follow the plight of Lady Elizabeth Sinclair, who struggles to meet the expectations that her family and society have of her, and instead is more comfortable being known as Libby and studying the earth and all of its secrets around her. When her and her lady's maid Mabena vacation on the Isles of Scilly for the summer, a case of mistaken identity causes a whirlwind of events to come their way that neither could have ever been prepared for. Lost treasure, budding romance and historical legends and stories all become a vibrant part of this beautiful story as Libby must learn how to come to terms with who God desires her to be, and attempt to follow the longings of her heart, despite her family's opinions on the matter. Libby and Oliver's relationship is probably one of the sweetest romances I've ever read, and I loved each and every second of it. Oliver's character adds so much extra dimension to the story, and I love how his faith journey is tied up in needing to learn to truly love his enemies and trust what God is telling him to do. Libby is such an inspirational leading lady, and I found myself rooting for her right from the very first few pages. And as if the main characters themselves weren't enough, the cast of secondary characters all soon endeared themselves to me, and I'm looking forward to reading more about each and every one of them in the books to come. I truly think this one has something for everyone, and I loved how deeply the faith element is wound throughout the entire story, and each character's individual journey. Roseanna M. White has hit it out of the ballpark with this beautiful historical romance, and I can't wait to see where she chooses to take the story in the upcoming books in the series. Part adventure novel, part Christian romance and part tales of pirates and legends, The Nature of a Lady is unlike anything I've ever read before, and I highly recommend checking it out. Final Rating: 5/5. Thanks so much to Bethany House for allowing me to advance read and review this! I voluntarily read and reviewed a complimentary advance reader copy of this novel from the publisher via NetGalley. I was not required to give a positive review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

I am a huge fan of Roseanna M. White's writings and I have only recently come to realize how many of her books are in my collection of favorites. There is not a book of Ms. White's that I have read and not thoroughly enjoyed. The Nature of a Lady maintains that high standard.  I appreciate how Ms. White's works are full of adventure, intrigue, and romance without the plot feeling rushed. Ms. White has excellently developed characters, and I believe the way she slowly leads her characters along the storyline allows the readers to appreciate them more.  I don't think that there are many authors in the Christian fiction genre that have the same skillful writing abilities that Ms. White has. I thoroughly appreciate her writings and I absolutely enjoyed The Nature of a Lady by Roseanna M. White and would highly recommend it. The Nature of a Lady weaves a tale of mystery, romance, adventure, and sweet whimsicalness that is hard to describe in just a few words.  I will try at the very least to share some reasons that I enjoyed The Nature of a Lady as well as a brief summary.  The main focus of the book is on an unusual young woman, Lady Elizabeth Sinclair, who is not the typical high society lady of the early 1900s.  Lady Elizabeth, or Libby as she prefers to be known, loves the exploration of nature and every aspect of science.  I personally related to Libby and thoroughly enjoyed how Ms. White created such a unique, but relatable heroine. Libby is often found with her eyes behind her microscope, examining the world in the only way she knows how.  After Libby is faced with the well-meaning, but unwanted pressure from her family to marry, she escapes to summer in the Isles of Scilly. While there, Libby is quickly entangled into a mysterious hunt for pirate treasure due to a case of mistaken identity. Libby wonders who the other Elizabeth is, where she disappeared to, and what kind of danger she is now neck-deep in.  The mysterious disappearance of the "other Elizabeth" prods Libby's insatiable curiosity and leads her to discover some great adventure, danger, true friendships, and possibly even genuine love.  While I truly appreciate and relate to the characters in this book, another aspect of The Nature of a Lady that I loved was the way Ms. White brought her characters to have faith in God. Some authors include faith into the plot as more of an afterthought, while others add more spiritual references than normal to the storyline. I appreciated how Ms. White brought a balance between the two extremes. She excellently led her readers along with the main character's dilemmas and realizations of faith, without the circumstances and struggles seeming overdone or implausible. I also appreciated the supporting characters that Ms. White brought to Libby's life and how they accepted her and helped Libby find her place in life. I particularly enjoyed the surprisingly perfect counterpart to Libby found in the heroic gentleman and pastor, Oliver Tremayne. What an interesting pairing of the scientist and the spiritual leader as Oliver and Libby join in the search for the missing Elizabeth as well as pirate gold. It was a very unique and unexpected pairing of characters, but the result was very sweet and added to the complexity of the plot. I also appreciated Ms. White's attention to her context and setting for the story. The island setting and historic time was well developed and accentuated the intrigue and sense of adventure present throughout this work. Overall, The Nature of a Lady was an excellent book with wonderfully developed characters, a fascinating setting, as well as enough adventures and suspense to keep the reader always guessing. I highly recommend this work and hope that you have the chance to enjoy it as much as I do. Happy readings! Disclaimer: Bethany House Publisher graciously provided me with a copy of this book through NetGalley. All opinions are my own and part of an unbiased review.

This book is a pleasant and enjoyable read. It is a sweet, Christian HR, which is not something I typically choose to read. I was lured by the promise of a Sicilian setting, which turned out was an Isles of Scilly (off the coast of Cornwall) setting, during the early 1900’s. Though it wasn’t Sicily, as I anticipated, it was a fun and interesting setting. There was a bit of mystery and intrigue to this story, and the romance was smoothly integrated. I liked both the leads, Elizabeth and Oliver. I thought they were fairly well drawn, with human flaws rather than too-good-to-be-true, boring leads. Elizabeth is a lady with an interest in Botany. Her brother is pressuring her to marry, so she convinces her family to let her take a holiday on the Isles of Scillies, where her maid is from, before deciding. Oliver is the Vicar on one of the bigger islands and cousin to Elizabeth’s maid. There was a good cast of secondary characters. The mystery involved a case of mistaken identity, missing persons, possibility of a ghost and the possibility of buried pirate treasure. It was an engaging story, and the narrative was strong. I would read more in this series or by this author. I recommend if looking for a kisses-only HR with some intrigue in the plot. <I>Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a chance to read and review this book. Views are my own.

I am ecstatic about this new series by Roseanna White, with a refreshing new setting and new friends (characters) that I look forward to knowing better over the next few books. Libby is a wonderful character. She's honest about who she is (and who she isn't) and how she looks at life, and she has a kind heart. She can be shy, but she longs for true friends and is stressed out by superficial conversation and conflict. She is a classic introvert and it was so refreshing to read an introverted character who didn't hate people, but longs for a true friend. I could appreciate her and Benna's friendship subplot from two different angles, both as someone who has longed for friendship and someone who has had her heartbroken and thus closed herself off to friendships. It was interesting watching that story unfold. I loved the way they navigated topics of science vs faith and the fact that they don't have to be in opposition to each other. YES! This is not talked about enough in the Christian realm. I am ecstatic about this new series by Roseanna White, with a refreshing new setting and new friends (characters) that I look forward to knowing better over the next few books. Libby is a wonderful character. She's honest about who she is (and who she isn't) and how she looks at life, and she has a kind heart. She can be shy, but she longs for true friends and is stressed out by superficial conversation and conflict. She is a classic introvert and it was so refreshing to read an introverted character who didn't hate people, but longs for a true friend. I could appreciate her and Benna's friendship subplot from two different angles, both as someone who has longed for friendship and someone who has had her heartbroken and thus closed herself off to friendships. It was interesting watching that story unfold. I loved the way they navigated topics of science vs faith and the fact that they don't have to be in opposition to each other. YES! This is not talked about enough in the Christian realm. The importance of names and how God knows us completely. I loved this because of the way the author explained God in a way the scientifically minded heroine would relate to. Between the new characters and setting, the mystery, the treasure hunting, the romance, and the history this made for a super fun read and I am very excited to read the supporting characters' stories in the upcoming books. I received an advanced copy of this book for the purpose of reviewing it. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.

I loved the main characters, Oliver and Libby. Their quirks, how White described their appearances so vividly, Libby’s dislike for society’s expectations and Oliver, the clergyman. Not your typical clergyman. And the setting was just beautiful—the Isles of Scilly. I found White’s note at the end fascinating. While at times I found things a bit farfetched (which I actually don’t mind in fiction) I was surprised and intrigued by what White revealed as fact and fiction in her author’s note. So don’t skip that! I did find the story to be a bit slow moving to start, for me anyway. It took quite a while for the tension to grip me. However, I fully enjoyed White’s way of developing her characters. Not only does White have a fabulous voice as an author, but her characters, in their own POV’s are so distinct. Of course, I did miss spies, secret identities and code breaking from the Shadows Over England series and The Code Breakers series. But there was an identity twist in The Nature of a Lady that was quite fun, and I enjoyed the change from WW1 to earlier in the century. My favorite things about this novel: the sweet love story and the faith thread. When you have a vicar as a main character, you expect a strong faith thread. White always delivers a well thought out (and not preachy, in my opinion) faith thread in her novels and I enjoyed the journey of this one. Note: I received a complimentary copy of this novel from the publisher for my honest thoughts.

*Warnings* #1 This is a long review, so pull up a chair and grab a bowl of popcorn. You’ll be here awhile. #2 When I read a review, I want substantial information. So I will not skimp on the details. Which may mean some spoilers, so watch out. Stars: 5+ Synopsis: Lady Elizabeth Sinclair had planned on running from a marriage arranged by her older brother—only, upon her arrival to the Scillies, she realizes that she may have run straight into the arms of danger...and maybe even the arms of love. Favorite Quote: All of them!!! But if I have to pick just one… “He knows your name. Not Libby, not Elizabeth Sinclair. Your true name, the one at the heart of you that has never been spoken. He knows you, and He calls you by it. You, in all your uniqueness. You, in all that makes you different from others. You, in all that you have in common with them. He knows you, and He calls you by name. He knows how you fit into this world.” I have read all but one of Roseanna M. White’s books. I’ve read her biblical fiction, Love Finds You in Annapolis, Maryland (as in, before it became A Heart’s Revolution), both the Culper Rings and Ladies of the Manor series twice, her two short stories, and for the last four years, I have been quite literally devouring every single new book she writes the moment I can get my hands on it. I know the streets of London like the back of my hand, the ins and outs of high society, the best way to remain hidden in shadows whilst spying on Redcoats. I keep Camden and Lukas and Samuel on my bed because they are hands-down three of the best ever heroes. I’ve done the whole off-again/on-again relationship with White’s novels for so long—loving some, disliking others, being wholly engrossed in everything she writes anyway. After On Wings of Devotion, I thought it couldn’t get any better. And for a while, it didn’t. A Portrait of Loyalty was good, but certainly not my favorite. Dreams of Savannah was amazing, and I loved the portrayal of the Civil War (and, more importantly, Southerners), but it was missing some little something that would have hoisted it to the #1 spot. Then The Nature of a Lady showed up, and boy howdy, it got better! I mean, Oliver isn’t Camden or Cayton. Libby isn’t Ara or Zip. It wasn’t as intriguing as the Culper Rings, as mysterious as The Codebreakers, as exciting as Shadows Over England. It wasn’t as romantic as On Wings of Devotion or A Lady Unrivaled. It wasn’t as raw as A Stray Drop of Blood or as powerful as A Soft Breath of Wind. It wasn’t as political or cultural as Dreams of Savannah. But, y’all. Y’all. Y’all. Y’ALL. y a l l . . . (I will devise a million different ways to write y’all.) this book was perfect there i said it (Now you may dis me for not using periods or proper capitalization.) IT WAS EVERYTHING. All of it, all at once. Raw emotion, Holy Ghost power, mystery and intrigue, PIRATES, sugary sweet, tender romance—times two! I mean, I honestly don’t know what to say. Let me put it like this: Libby was an amazing heroine. No, she was not my favorite of White’s heroines. No, she wasn’t perfect. No, I didn’t feel for her like I do Charity O’Connor or Eliyana Ember. But she was different, unique—but not in an overbearing way. She wasn’t trying to be unique. She just was. And I mean that from an author’s point-of-view. Her character wasn’t forced or contrived. White wasn’t confining her to a strict idea of how her character should be to move the plot along. Libby was natural, graceful, flowing. That’s really what I liked about her. I got a little upset with her over the whole science/evolution thing, but she was never forceful about it—toward other characters or in her own mind. Ugh. I’m not making any sense. Let me just compare her to Margot. Margot is probably one of my least favorite White heroines (I know, I know; everybody else likes her...I just have to be the odd one out, okay?). She wouldn’t depend on God or surrender herself to Him. She forced her opinions and views on other people (no matter if they were right or wrong). She had her strengths, yes. But I couldn’t get past her weaknesses to appreciate her good qualities. But Libby? She was like a Margot do-over for me—same goes for Oliver with Drake. She was a softer, gentler, kinder, more mature version of Margot. Libby was so kind and unassuming—like Arabella. But also intelligent and progressive like Margot—just not to the point of being annoying. Yes, she committed the great sin of rebelling from authority (yes, that’s the great feminist sin in my mind; it’s really a matter of morals and scripture rather than opinion). But I feel like she handled the situation better. And that’s really all I have to say about that. Libby was just better than Margot. There. Can I just say, though, that she had that insightful, tenderhearted air of Arabella that just made her all the more perfect? I mean, can you imagine Margot saying something like this to Drake? “It’s you that see people, Oliver. Sees them truly, sees them clearly. Sees them with purpose—and that purpose is to care.” She truly cared for Oliver and wanted to help him see what a good man he was—and where he needed to change. And she loved Mamm-wynn and Mabena and even her brother (I think). Her compassion and love for people was there, which was so beautiful to witness. And Oliver? Ugh. He was just so...Oliver. Like, I shouldn’t like him, because he’s nice and calm and too perfect. He’s not Cam. He’s another one of White’s too-perfect, too-sweet, too-handsome, too-kind, too-loving, too-darn-beautiful heroes. Like Peter, Drake, Thad, Brice, Samuel—all of those adorable munchkins. (Yes, I just called them munchkins. Don’t give me that look.) But here’s the thing, guys. I liked Oliver. More than that, I loved him as much as I love Peter and Samuel (because those are the munchkins I was referring to, not Drake and Thad). Why? Because he had his faults too. Not his insecurities—Peter and Sam and Brice and all had insecurities, not faults. Oliver quite literally had faults. Not to mention he was extremely sarcastic (which is actually not a fault, believe it or not). To prove my point, cue my favorite Oliver quotes: “Isn’t it tiring, being such a blighter all the time?” “I’m right and they’re wrong.” “Well, if you’re giving me a choice—I’ll take the flirting.” Can it get any better? No. It can’t. Oliver was just everything perfect. Strong, loving, kind, understanding. He didn’t presume (although Casek’s presumptuous attitude was seriously adorable, but we’ll get to that in a second). He didn’t push. He just stood there, a little smile on his face, eyes shining with love, waiting for you to open up and spill all of your woes and tears on his shoulder. Ugh, yes. He was just too perfect. At the same time, he sucked at being friends with Casek. He was prejudiced, prideful, persuasive. (I seriously just wrote that so I could get an Austen pun in. He was really only judgmental toward Caz, which is a terrible offense in my book.) He couldn’t get past the surface to see the man’s soft, teddy-bear heart. Because, y’all, Casek Wearne has a heart! And in addition to his heart, he is currently in possession of mine, ‘cuz, y’all. This man. Caz. Casek Wearne. Mr. Hottest Headmaster Ever. (Can I say my ‘ansum?) I know I should continue gushing about how wonderful and tender Oliver was and how sweet he was with Libby and how cute they were together and how godly Ollie was and all, but Casek is demanding all of my attention right now. With good reason. Quite possibly, he was the best part of this book. And there were a ton of good parts, so that’s saying something. He and Oliver were a lot alike—just like Libby and Mabena had more similarities than differences—which is probably the main reason why they butted heads all the time. And then they contrasted in other ways, of course, so it was fun to see both guys. Even if Casek didn’t get the POV he deserved. Speaking of Benna...she was an awesome character as well! Actually, there wasn’t a single character I disliked even the slightest bit in this entire book—except for the bad guys, of course. Surprisingly, I didn’t like her quite as much as Libby, but her relationship with Caz? Perfection! To wrap up my gushing over the characters...Sheridan was fabulous. I had him enlisted for a story from the moment I met him, so I am beyond excited to see him in a future book! And Bram was just as amazing—though not quite as humorous. The two of them together, however? Priceless! Honestly, if I were Libby, I would’ve married Sher just because of how stinkin’ funny he is! What a guy. What a guy. Oh, wait. I haven’t even gotten started on Mamm-wynn. Here, let me make this short. I want a grandma like Mamm-wynn (no offense to my actual grandmothers, I assure you). Scratch that—I want to be a grandma like Mamm-wynn. On top of that, she is now one of my two favorite fictional grannies (which is a thing, yes). The other is Bernia from Tamara Leigh’s Merciless. That woman stole my heart, let me tell you! And even though Mamm-wynn is slightly different, she is hands-down one of the best grandmas and definitely one of the best characters in history. So there’s that. Speaking of Mamm-wynn, I absolutely loved the spiritual content White included. Ever since reading A Soft Breath of Wind, I’ve been on the edge of my seat waiting for that novel including both her signature historical style and the Holy Ghost power in her biblical fiction… For a time, I thought the book would never be written… But then! The Nature of a Lady. #greatestroseannamwhitebookever Yes, the little vignettes of Holy Spirit were so beautiful! I got the chills multiple times. The wisdom and discernment—dare I say prophetic aspects—that Mamm-wynn and even Oliver possessed made the story so much richer. With my Pentecostal beliefs, it’s guaranteed that I’ll be a hundred kinds of excited when I see authors pouring the power of the Spirit of God into their stories. Plus, the addition of the spiritual world made Libby’s arc so much more amazing. Here, I’ll just let Mamm-wynn explain it for y’all: “He can whisper the future to His prophets. He can send and heal plagues. He can raise the dead.” “We see only in part. But there is more. More to this physical world that your magnifying lenses can show you. And more still beyond it that we need a spiritual lens to see.” So, yeah. That was just the cherry on top. And I haven’t even gotten started on how lovely the setting was. I am seriously moving to the Scillies. So, um, yeah. I think I’ll quit while I’m ahead. If you skipped all the crazy stream-of-consciousness, I don’t blame you. I’ll just sum things up for y’all with one simple sentence: GO BUY THIS BOOK. The End. Disclaimer: A complimentary copy of this book was provided by the publisher, publicist, or author, including NetGalley. All opinions expressed are my own.

Enchanted and intrigued.... I was hooked from the moment I opened The Nature of a Lady. Enchanted by the unique ecosystems and customs of the Isles of Scilly and intrigued by the mystery that greeted Libby the moment she met her summer landlady "Another Elizabeth is it?...May you be more dependable than the last." I can always count on Rosanna M. White to deliver characters of depth, historically accurate details and a well planned storyline that is not predictable. She infuses all with her strong Christian faith. I cannot wait for the next book in this series. I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author and I am willingly offering this review.

The Nature Of A Lady by Roseanna White has it all...romance, mystery, exotic location, and fascinating characters. I loved all of the details about island life, I could imagine being with Libby as she explored the islands. This is the first book I have read about the Scilly Islands and now I long to see them. It was fun watching Libby and Mabena become the friends they already thought they were. I also loved Oliver and the way he was comfortable with who he was. He lived and breathed the islands. Then add in the mystery of pirates, ghosts, and a treasure and you have the makings of a fine book. A case of mistaken identity just adds to the story. So grab your favorite tea, it is England after all, and settle in for a wonderful read. I was given a copy of this book by NetGalley.com with no expectations. All thoughts are my own.

Imagine planning to escape for the summer to a coastal cottage and upon arriving, finding yourself misktaken for someone else and suddenly embroiled in a mystery of a missing person and pirate treasure! Definitley not the makings for a relaxing getaway but most assuredly the makings for an entertaining and fun story! I have been a longtime fan of Roseanna M. White and The Nature of a Lady did not disappoint. I thoroughly enjoyed being whisked away to the Isles of Scilly off the shores of Cornwall. I have not read many books set in this particular locale and found myself thinking how wonderful it would be to actually visit. The cast of characters in Nature of a Lady were all so likeable, but Libby was my favorite. I loved how she wasn't your typical English Lady and she felt more at home among nature than among the English elite. My favorite quote: "He knows your name. Not LIbby, not Elizabeth Sinclair. Your true name, the one at the heart of you that has never been spoken. He knows you, and He calls you by it. You, in all your uniqueness. You, in everything that differentiates you from others. You, in all you have in common with them. He knows you, and He calls you by name. He knows how you fit into this world." What a wonderful reminder to all of us who have struggled from time to time, that our Creator knows us inside and out, He gave us our quirks, foibles and strengths that make us who we are, and He loves us just the way He made us. How awesome is that! Delightful from beginning to end, fans of Roseanna M White will rejocie! I am eagerly looking forward to reading more from this series and the many adventures yet to be had on the Isles of Scillly. Thank you Bethany House and Net Galley for the free DRC of this book. The opinions expressed here are my own.

I loved this book!! It was so engaging, fun, suspenseful, and mysterious. The mystery revolving around the missing Elizabeth, secretly delivered letters, strange notes in a book, deaths, and hidden silver had me guessing and on the edge of my seat the whole time. It was written so well and I fell in love with the characters and story! Mamm-wyn was the cutest little old lady, Oliver was such a kind and sweet guy, Libby was so cool and I loved her passion for science and plants, and Mabena was so sarcastic, I loved her. I love how deep her character went, even though she wasn't the main character. The book was completely clean, as are all of Roseanna's books. The writing and book wasn't the author's best, but I still loved it and can't wait for the next book in this series!

"He knows your name. Your true name, the one at the heart of you that has never been spoken. He knows you, and He calls you by it. You, in all your uniqueness...He knows how you fit into this world." Oh. My. Word!! What a masterful, engaging, unique story this is! The characters, each and every one of them. The friendships, the drama, the intrigue, the setting. You will be pulled into the world of the Isle of Scilly and wish to never return. I can always count on Roseanna M. White to write the most intelligent, unique, absolutely loveable heroines. I don't know how she does it time and time again! And Libby is no exception. Born into high society and being pushed into a marriage she does not want, she talks her mother into letting her escape for the summer to the island of Scilly with her handmaid (who has a tale of her own!). This is where the adventure begins. When she's mistaken for another Elizabeth and left with clues as to where this other Elizabeth has gone, she dives in head first to help "Beth's" brother, Oliver, find his sister before anything happens to her. This story is exactly what we've come to expect from Ms. White...and if this is your first one of her books, devour this one. And then go find yourself any of her previous works! You won't be disappointed. I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley. All opinions expressed are my own.

I do love a good historical fiction book! One thing I really like about this one is that it is in a different setting--not the same old thing!! I also like the main character being interested in something other than what the typical lady of the day was interested in. I like the characters and the plot development. If there's one drawback, it's that it can be a little long in spots, but not too bad. ;) Overall, an enjoyable book, and I think it would be great for younger adults, as that is the age group of most of the characters. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to have an advance e-copy. All opinions are entirely my own.

In a case of mistaken identity, Libby starts receiving packages and letters meant for Beth. At first they don't make sense, but when Beth's brother shows up and finds out Beth is missing, things take an ominous turn. Libby and Oliver are determined to find Beth and figure out what all the secrecy is about. Little do they know what their efforts and curiosity will reveal. This book feels different from White's other series yet the aspect of a great mystery remains the same. It's always fun to read about pirates and lost treasure. I'm curious to know what other secrets the Isles will reveal in future books. The characters were amazing. I loved Oliver's grandmother. She always seems to be looking ahead where others can't see. I appreciated that Oliver didn't have the stereotypical reactions to his relationship with Lady Libby. I enjoyed the whole island camaraderie and wish I could be there for a Wednesday gig race. I would highly recommend this book. It was a great read. Thank you to Bethany House for providing me with a free e-copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

Lady Elizabeth "Libby" Sinclair, with her love of microscopes and nature, isn't favored in society. She flees to the beautiful Isles of Scilly for the summer and stumbles into the dangerous secrets left behind by her holiday cottage's former occupant, also named Elizabeth, who mysteriously vanished. Oliver Tremayne--gentleman and clergyman--is determined to discover what happened to his sister, and he's happy to accept the help of the girl now living in what should have been Beth's summer cottage . . . especially when he realizes it's the curious young lady he met briefly two years ago, who shares his love of botany and biology. But the hunt for his sister involves far more than nature walks, and he can't quite believe all the secrets Beth had been keeping from him. As Libby and Oliver work together, they find ancient legends, pirate wrecks, betrayal, and the most mysterious phenomenon of all: love. All Libby wants to do is to be allowed to study nature. Not be a society lady. Her brother has arranged a marriage for her with his best friend. The problem is that they argue any time they're together. She refuses to marry him. She convinces her mother to let her stay at a cottage in Scilly for the summer. She soon discovers that she is staying in a cottage that had previously been rented by someone else named Elizabeth. Only they disappeared and people think she's that Elizabeth. She meets Oliver, the brother of the missing Elizabeth. She soon discovers that he loves nature just as much as she does. The only negative I can say about this book is that sometimes it went into too much detail about the bugs Libby was studying. Other than that, it was a good book. A little bit of mystery and a little bit of romance. I received a copy of this books from Bethany House Publishing via NetGalley in exchange for an hones review. I was not compensated in any way.

This was everything I've come to expect from Roseanna M White. A cast full of lovable characters with intriguing personalities and interests, a mystery plot which kept me reading to find out what is going on, danger and fear for lovable characters, and not just one, but two sweet love stories for characters I was rooting for. "He has created a universe of order and rules - but He himself is so much bigger. So full of mystery." There was so many characters to love, Libby with her love of science and journey to see how this and God's love for us/her would both fit into her life. Moon with her past hurts and love of the Scillies calling her back, and Oliver with his steadfast faith in God and support for others, but I think Mamm-wynn with her craziness and vision was my favourite. ""Mamm-wynn! What are you doing out of bed? And here, of all places?" Their grandmother laughed. "Saving the day, of course. I had to. All my favorites were here."" The mystery plot in this story was concluded, however, the danger and threats about this mystery has not fully come to an end and I'm expecting a lot more adventures in the future books in this series, as well as a lot of characters introduced which I'm hoping for a HEA for each of them as well. "Love really was like a bird. You didn't know where it might settle, or when. You couldn't tame it, couldn't force it. Couldn't predict it." Wishing the next book's release was around the corner, because the Islands and its people has found a place in my heart. Fans of Roseanna M White will not be disappointed with this one. *I received a complimentary copy from the publisher. All opinions expressed are my own.*

The previous books that I had read by this author were war time books set in Europe. While they were wonderful reads, it was nice to read a different sort of story by Roseanna M. White. The Nature of a Lady is set in the early 1900s in the Scillies, a group of islands off the southwest tip of England. The story follows Lady Elizabeth Sinclair; her lady's maid, Mabena Moon; and Mabena's family and friends on the Island of Tresco, all of whom find themselves in the middle of a mystery involving a missing girl, a case of mistaken identity, a possible murder, and treasure. White makes the most of these plot elements, while also exploring the theme of reconciling Christianity and science. The book is a pure pleasure to read, and I will find it quite difficult to wait for the next book in the Secrets of the Isles series. I am grateful to have received a complimentary copy of The Nature of a Lady from Bethany House via NetGalley without obligation. All opinions expressed here are my own.

Okay, so I totally didn’t request this book on NetGalley entirely due to that beautiful cover... and the fact it’s about pirate treasure... no, that’s a lie, I totally did!! 😂 Well, that and the fact that I keep hearing good things about Roseanna M. White, and I thought it was high time I tried one of her books... So I have to admit this was a slow burn for me. It took me a long time to get into it! I think I was maybe expecting it to be slightly more suspenseful than it was. But once I hit about halfway, I couldn’t get my head out of the book world until I finished... even when I wasn’t reading it! It’s definitely immersive! It’s well written, and both the characters and setting are beautifully rich. And as long as you’re expecting a standard, slower historical style read with a bit of intrigue, you’ll probably love it. And I just have to say that usually I find the ‘not like the other girls’ trope super irritating, but this is a refreshing take on it and I actually didn’t mind it. Oh and did I mention pirate treasure? Thanks @bethanyhousefiction and @netgalley for the ARC. I was only required to provide an honest review in return, and while this may have been my first Roseanna M White book, I don’t think it will be my last!

The Nature of a Lady is the enchanting first book in The Secrets of the Isles series. This story will immediately propel you to the Isles of Scilly, Cornwall 1906. It was a great escape. Lady Elizabeth, Libby, Sinclair decides to “run away” to the Islands of Scilly for the summer in order to escape her parent’s plans for her to marry. Libby decides to stay in the cottage owned by her family. She finds some mysterious notes left behind at the cottage that belonged to some previous guests. But when Libby meets Clergyman Oliver Tremayne, they quickly become friends. Libby helps Oliver as he investigates what is going on with his sister Beth. In the process, the adventures that turn up are so amazingly entertaining. As the story continues Libby and Oliver start to uncover the truths about Beth and all the secrets she’s been hiding. The twists and turns that take place, makes this a wonderful historical fiction with a dash of mystery. I loved this story. It was amazing to me how relatable the characters were in this story. They were very well developed and the detailed description of Cornwall is so vivid that you actually feel like you are there. I am so glad that this is the start of a new series, and I can’t wait to see what happens in the next book. Thank you Rosanna M. White for such a fantastic read. I received a complimentary copy this book from the publishers. All opinions expressed are mine.

This book is a true gem. With characters that leap off the page, an enchanted setting, and a bevy of twists and turns to keep you guessing, The Nature of a Lady has everything I look for in a great read. As with so many of White’s novels, the characters in this book are living and breathing. By the time I’d turned the last page, I felt like I’d known these characters all my life and I wasn’t quite ready to let them go. Libby was a heroine most worthy of the title. She’s a character I think so many can relate to on at least one level. Like so many others, including myself, she often feels out of place among her surroundings. Yet it was heartening to see how much she loved the isles and the way she bloomed there. A certain clergyman’s presence didn’t hurt, either. Oliver has to be one of my favorite heroes in recent memory. His heart of gold, kindness, and varied interests made him a stand out character, as well as a standard by which future heroes will be measured. The supporting characters were delightful, too. I absolutely loved Oliver’s grandmother Mamm-wynn; a sweet and wise woman. Also; Darling! Libby’s cat definitely lived up to his name. I can’t wait to read more about Libby and Oliver’s friends and family in future books! Prior to The Nature of a Lady, I had never heard of the Isles of Scilly. Now, I want to go there! I found White’s descriptions of the Isles charming, with mentions of ghosts and pirates and fairies. The abundance of flora only added to the charm and was a perfect match for Libby’s love of botany. The mystery elements of this book were delicious. I was intrigued by a tale of mistaken identity; a tale of two Elizabeths. Add in legends of ghosts and pirate treasure and you have a recipe for a winning story filled with intrigue! White handles all of this with flair. The Nature of a Lady is a wonderful book that will delight readers across the board. Highly recommended! All opinions expressed are my own. Many thanks to the author and Bethany House for a complimentary copy of this book.

I’m not sure how she does it, but Roseanna White continues to write books that just get better and better! I loved the interesting premise for this novel and the book drew me in right away with its mystery and intrigue. The characters were also easy to like and I found myself wishing that I could be friends with them in real life (I, too, am a lover of biology!). I loved the mysterious aspect of the storyline and was surprised by the many twists throughout the novel. The spiritual truths were well woven without being preachy and the romance is clean and well written. I greatly enjoyed this story and cannot wait for the rest of the series! A most highly recommend read! I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author. Opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.

I admit it: I get more than just a little excited whenever I hear a new book by Roseanna M. White is in the works. I always wonder if her newest novel could possibly live up to my high expectations. With her May 2021 release, The Nature of a Lady, White has once again blown me away! The first installment in her Secrets of the Isles series transports readers to the Isles of Scilly off the coast of Cornwall, England, in 1906. It is a wonderful blend of historical mystery and Christian romance about a bright female botanist, Lady Elizabeth “Libby” Sinclair, and Oliver Tremayne, a gentleman and clergyman. Seeking a break from pressures, Libby ventures to the Isles of Scilly to explore the flora and fauna of the area. Unexpectedly, she stumbles upon some unnerving secrets left behind by the former occupant of the cottage where she is staying for the summer. That lady, who also happens to be named Elizabeth, has gone missing, and Oliver, her brother, is determined to discover what has become of her. He and Libby work together in the search for Beth, which becomes a wild adventure involving everything from castle ruins to pirate wrecks. White is a master of character development, and her pacing is perfect in this brilliantly written, highly suspenseful tale. The depth of research she has done to make her story historically accurate is obvious in the rich detail she provides. I highly recommend The Nature of a Lady to fans of historical Christian fiction. I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.

What if you were looking for a book with a smart heroine escaping an arranged marriage, beautiful islands with a history of pirates, a handsome clergyman, charming local characters, and a mystery involving a hidden treasure? The Nature of a Lady is all of these and more! Not only is the cover to die for, but the setting, characters, and themes are some of Roseanna M. White’s best. First, lets talk setting. The Isles of Scilly are a hidden gem off the coast of Cornwall. With a real history of pirates and gorgeous flowers and fauna, I was drawn to this location right away and googled pictures to satisfy my curiosity. The Isles are as gorgeous as described in the book. The time period is 1906 when women were desiring to be more independent and educated. Second, characters. Lady Elizabeth “Libby” Sinclair is an intelligent woman fascinated by science. She is kind, thoughtful, yet somehow stubborn as well. She’s determined not to go along with her brother’s plan to marry his friend. She struggles with faith, but is open to new knowledge. Oliver Tremayne “Ollie” is a handsome clergyman/gentleman who is funny, caring, yet flawed. He loves nature, like Libby, and appreciates science, but is deeply religious in a friendly, kind way. If he touches your elbow, it is impossible to resist his charms. There are several other side characters whom I loved. Mamm-wynn, Oliver’s grandmother was one of my favorites! She is uncanny with her ability to know just what to say and what is going to happen. Mabena, Libby’s “maid” is a spitfire. She’s strong and sassy, especially with Casek. Casek is another fun character who is strong, self-assured, and patient with Mabena. He knows what he wants and isn’t afraid to go after it. Finally, the themes. These are some of my favorite. One of the best themes of this novel was the battle of science vs. religion. As the story progresses, we see how despite Libby’s skepticism, she gradually comes to see that science and religion can compliment each other and don’t need to be in competition. One of my favorite quotes was “We see only in part. But there is more. More to this physical world than your magnifying lenses can show you. And more still beyond it that we need a spiritual lens to see.” Another theme was accepting yourself for who you are. Libby is sort of an outcast in society because she isn’t the typical female. Yet, that’s why Oliver loves her. She’s intelligent and curious. She surprises and delights him. Oliver isn’t your typical clergyman. He’s prejudiced against Casek. He races boats every week. Yet, his faith is deep and real and he loves the people whom he serves. The main theme is there’s someone for everyone and you don’t need to be something you’re not to find that someone. All in all, this book was thoroughly enjoyable to devour. Can’t wait to see what the Isles of Scilly have in store next. I received a complementary copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher. All thoughts and opinions are my own and I was not required to give a positive review.

Roseanna M. White’s newest release was a delight to read. Set in the Scilly Islands off the coast of Cornwall, Lady Elizabeth is trying to escape the demands of her family for the summer. She’s not your typical society miss and is more interested in flora and fauna than flirting and husband hunting. When her brother tries to marry her off to his friend, Libby devises a plan to visit the islands with her maid Mabena, who grew up there and only recently left. When they arrive, Lady Elizabeth meets Oliver Tremayne, a gentleman vicar. He is looking for his sister Elizabeth who is supposed to be living in the cottage that Libby has rented. More adventure than either could have anticipated follows, including a treasure hunt fraught with danger, and unexpected romance for more than one couple. I loved both of the leading characters and the sweet romance. The island setting was so interesting and I enjoyed learning more about the legends and the close knit community there. The secondary characters added a lot to the story and I hope to see more of them in future books of the series. The message of faith fit perfectly into the story which I thought was well written and engaging. I could hardly put this book down, the story was so compelling. Thanks to NetGalley for the eARC and to the author and publisher for the complimentary copy. A positive review was not required and all opinions are my own.

First off can I say how gorgeous the cover is! I just love purple! This book was utterly fascinating! I'd never heard of the Isles of Scilly before but now it's on my bucket list to visit! Roseanna M. White's beautiful descriptions of the islands created such a longing to go and see them for myself! The Nature of a Lady is one of those wonderful stories that has it all, romance, mystery, adventure, lovable characters, unique setting. Everything you need for a satisfying read. Normally would I have a preference for one character over another but I honestly loved all the characters in this this story. They were all so different, each with their own set of strengths and weaknesses. Being the romance lover that I am, I had absolutely no objection to having two romances play out in the story nor did I object to two first kiss scenes!

This first book in Roseanna White’s new series is brought to life through the beautiful setting of the Isles of Scilly. The descriptions of the islands, island life and the residents pulled me into this story. When Lady Elizabeth Sinclair stumbles upon an unplanned adventure, her life becomes very interesting. I kept turning pages as a mystery unfolded which involved looking for pirate treasure! A wonderfully written romance bloomed amidst all the suspense. I also appreciated the faith lessons within this engaging story. I thoroughly enjoyed these new characters and look forward to learning more of their stories. Fans of White’s writing will love this book. I was given a copy of this book by the publisher. All opinions are my own.

The Nature of a Lady is the first novel I’ve read by this author, and as it happens, it’s  the first novel in her new series The Secrets of the Isles. I enjoy stories of mistaken identity, and with the addition of a mysterious disappearance, two love stories, a brilliant guidebook to life on the Isles of Scilly, and a strong spiritual theme, the book offers a good read. Although I found the pacing a tad slow in parts, overall, I found the novel enchanting. In the upper crust of English society, Lady Elizabeth Sinclair just doesn’t fit. She’d rather lie on her stomach in a garden sketching new insects, peer through her microscope at the unseen world, or read up on a newly discovered plant than take part in the social events required of a woman of her station. Libby chafes at the restraints and wonders at a God who would plant one of His creations in such a mismatched situation. When her brother, the Earl of Telford, begins to arrange a marriage for her with his best friend, Libby has had enough. Her maid, Mabena Moon, suggests that Libby summer in Mabena’s homeland, the Isles of Scilly, twenty miles off the coast of Cornwall. Mabena can visit family while Libby can give the prospective groom some time to discard her brother’s idea. The two women arrive on St. Mary’s to learn they have rented a cottage which had previously been let to a young lady, also named Elizabeth, who vanished unexpectedly. As they settle in, they find the other Elizabeth’s clothes and books still in place. A copy of Treasure Island has been marred with extensive hand-written notes including a peculiar poem that talks of faeries and the sea. Over the next few days, Libby is approached by men who address her as “Elizabeth” and hand over notes, an eighteen-pound cannonball, and money. No explanation arises until another man arrives on their doorstep demanding to know “Where’s my sister?” After two weeks with no letters from his sister Beth, Oliver Tremayne is worried. Her silence and his grandmother’s fretting that “Beth isn’t where she ought to be” have his nerves on edge. Now he’s facing two women, one of whom he knows very well - Mabena Moon, a close friend from the Isles - the other one he briefly met two years before, Elizabeth, the Earl of Telford’s sister. The mystery blossoms as the three would-be detectives begin to piece together clues from tales of pirates and buried treasure, artifacts, and even a treasure map, all the while continuing to look for the missing Beth. The author displays a deft touch in interweaving the romance storylines through the detective work and the discovery of criminals active in the Isles. There’s a phrase of encouragement I’ve sometimes heard: ‘Bloom where you’re planted.’ Despite the location or circumstances in which you might find yourself, look for a way to thrive. The novel suggests that in some cases, a person might need to move to another location to bloom properly. As Libby struggles with her feeling of being out of place, she doubts that the God of her upbringing has a plan for her until she visits Scilly. Living as close to nature as the locals do, they intuit that God’s love and presence are bigger than what the traditional church might describe. Oliver’s grandmother, with her strengthening sight “across the veil” into the divine realm beyond provides more evidence of the breadth of God’s presence. Libby’s time with Oliver, his grandmother, and the bountiful creation in Scilly shows her a broader way to embrace the Divine. The Nature of a Lady also sets up the islands as the location for the next books in the series. The descriptions are lush and set among interactions between characters, the romances, the unravelling mysteries, and spiritual theme. The one thing that kept me from rating this book a DIK was the slow pace in some sections where I wanted less island description and more attention on the mystery and romances. Nonetheless, The Nature of a Lady is an enjoyable read, with a thoughtful discussion of the nature of God. Buy it at: Amazon or your local independent retailer Visit our Amazon Storefront

I thoroughly enjoyed The Nature of a Lady. The adventure plot was engaging and pleasingly twisty, and kept me wondering what was going on. The romance was sweet and gentle, and the friendships and secondary characters were fantastic. I loved the story’s passionate defense of science, and its loving, generous approach to faith. But most of all, I loved the story’s delight in the beauties of the natural world. This book left me with a profound desire to visit the Isles of Scilly, to look for water birds, explore the botanical gardens and investigate the ruined castles (pirate treasure optional). By the end of the story, I was beginning to feel homesick for a place that I’ve never even visited. If you like a story with plenty of adventure, a beautiful setting, and interesting characters, and you don’t mind a bit of theology in your romance, I think you’ll really enjoy this one. My full review will appear on Smart Bitches, Trashy Books closer to the publication date.

This cover is gorgeous!!! This book is ok to “judge the book by it’s cover”! Gorgeous cover comes with a book full of gorgeous scenery, flowers and characters. I enjoyed learning more about these beautiful islands. The landscape descriptions made me feel as though I was soaking it all in with Libby. The multiple points of view added depth and brought even more to the story. The mysteries are intriguing and it kept me thinking about them when I had to take a break for life. Suspenseful events and the unknown send the characters into a crazy hunt for answers. Twist and turns galore! The group of characters were unique and I enjoyed all the personalities that did and didn’t mesh well together. Libby is independent and doesn’t fit into the normal London society. She not only loves scrubs and lacks interest in society, but she is also friends with her ladies maid. Libby refuses to just accept things she doesn’t want and plows her own path. Oliver is caring and a loving vicar. He is worried about his missing sister and opens his heart to Libby. Oliver and Libby’s relationship is adorable and I enjoyed watching it blossom. They helped each other grow and become better people together. They encouraged and strengthened even before the love bug sets in.

This is another excellent story written by one of my favourite authors. The Nature of a Lady is full of good history and romance which we’ve come to expect from this talented story teller. Roseanna M White expands her creativity in this first edition of the Secrets of the Isles series. What begins as a simple summer vacation intended to be an escape from proper English society, ends up full of secrets, old legends, pirates, and buried treasure. The plot builds well. The characters are likeable and relatable. However, the inclusion of certain scientific theories, such as Darwinism, I thought unnecessary. While the science theme was a good one, and one that I support, I would have liked to see a stronger biblical perspective come through by the end. Beyond this one aspect, I recommend this novel to my fellow historical fiction and romance fans. I can’t wait to read book 2! I received a complementary copy of this book. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.

Nature of a Lady is only the second book I’ve read by Roseanna M. White, but let me tell you, I’m a FAN. I loved just about everything about this—the pirate lore, the captivating setting in the Isles of Scilly, the community in those islands, the heroine’s refreshing personality....loved it! The author’s writing style is immersive; I can’t say one negative thing about it. There’s nothing dry, even with the more scientific descriptions woven in. There’s wit and banter and layered characters that you have to take the time to get to know to figure out. A character I especially appreciated was Libby. She’s intelligent and unwilling to conform to society’s norms while also not being brash or headstrong to the point of annoyance. I loved reading about her spiritual journey. Everything about that felt organic to her logical mind. (I ended up loving all of the characters, to be honest.) 4.5 stars all the way. (The only thing that holds me back is a theological mention about Creation that didn’t seem to be clarified by the end.) I’m already wanting the next in this series! These islands were a setting I was reluctant to leave as I finished the book, so I’m eager get back to them. *I received a copy of this book in exchange for participation in a Just Read book tour. All opinions are my own.*

"The Nature of a Lady" is a Christian romance set in 1906 in England. Oliver's sister has gone missing. People keep delivering messages and objects to Lady Elizabeth because she's living in the same vacation cottage and both women have a similar look. However, Oliver's sister promised an archaeological find to some men who now think that Lady Elizabeth is their contact and is withholding their prize. They've already killed one boy to get their treasure. Libby and Oliver must find Beth before more people get hurt. Libby and Oliver shared an interest in science and studying nature. Oliver encouraged Libby to learn more, sharing his knowledge with her. He also respected her intelligence and her courage during their efforts to protect and find his sister. She encouraged him to live up to his faith and forgive a longtime rival. All of the characters were complex, realistic people, and I cared about what happened to the main characters. Libby felt that science explained the world without a need for God. Oliver, a vicar, explained that learning more about God's creation didn't negate the need for God. He helped her to a sense of wonder at Christ's act offering salvation. Based on one sentence, it seemed like Libby still felt that the things she discovered using science should be used to reinterpret the Bible. I'd assert instead that the Bible helps us to properly interpret what we discover through science. After all, God knows how He created everything! There was no sex or bad language. Overall, I'd recommend this enjoyable historical romance with a mystery.

What a spectacular setting! I had never even heard of these islands but fell in love with them — and the hero is quite dashing, too. I could have done without the Darwin references, but this book being the first in a new series of mysteries makes me excited to read more.

The Nature of a Lady by Roseanna M. White Publishing Date: May 4, 2021 Another new Christian author for me! An excellent book that kept my attention! Thanks to her publisher and Netgalley for the ARC. My readers will enjoy this book! 5star

The Nature of a Lady is a captivating novel with the perfect balance of mystery and romance. With compelling characters, rich descriptions, and tales and legends of princes and pirates and treasure, Roseanna M. White has once again crafted an incredible historical romance. I think my favorite part of The Nature of a Lady was the characters, though. All the books I’ve read by White have included a great cast of characters, and this novel didn’t disappoint me. Libby and Mabena’s friendship was the first to draw me into the story. Not your typical lady-lady’s maid relationship, their interactions often left me smiling. And I loved the way White began to hint that things may not be as they seem. But best of all was the way they complemented one another. Libby’s sweet nature paired with Mabena’s spitfire personality to create one of the best literary friendships I’ve read lately. Then you have Oliver’s warmth and steadfastness. I couldn’t stop smiling whenever they were on the page together. These two pair so well I couldn’t help but root for them. And White rounds out her cast with plenty of quirky supporting characters and a love interest for Mabena, even if she doesn’t want it at first. As secrets are revealed and they worked together to solve the mystery, I was engrossed. White does a great job of drawing you in and keeping you on your toes. Especially as they get closer and closer to the mystery and unexpected characters show up. As for the spiritual arc, I loved how Oliver and Libby discuss God and how science can help us better appreciate His creation. Overall, The Nature of a Lady is a beautifully-written, well-cast romance historical fans will love. I can’t help but look forward to the future books in this series. (Review will go live on the blog May 14 at 12 pm EDT.)

The latest from faith-based, historical-romance author Roseanna M. White is a rich tale that combines mystery, romance, and suspense against the beautiful backdrop of the Isles of Scilly. You might find yourself making travel plans to visit! Over one hundred islands, and only five of them inhabited. Where do I start? First of all, this book cover drew me right in (so kudos to the design/art team!). Purple is my favorite color, and I am a long-standing advocate for more book covers with purple aesthetics. Second of all, the heroine’s name is Elizabeth…and how can I not feel a connection and bond with a character who shares my name? Especially after the lovely dedication page where the author acknowledges all us readers bearing that name. And side note: Oliver is fast becoming a favorite hero’s name as well. While her name encouraged a liking to the character, from the beginning I found myself connecting with Elizabeth—her questions, her struggles, her desperate desire to find her place in the world. And very soon into her island ‘get-away,’ the mysteries begin to unfold and draw her in—and me along with her. Along with the mystery of the vanishing of the ‘other Elizabeth’ in this story, who is Oliver’s sister. Both Elizabeths seek adventure and freedom, but danger shadows their steps. I thought this story was a beautiful expression of searching and longing, written in a sometimes achingly poetic way that touched my heart. Especially where it came to addressing a Scriptural truth that I actually have written in its original language on my wall in my own home: “I have called you by name, you are Mine.” To know that, not only are we never truly alone in this world—even should we feel friendless and outcast—but we are known and understood and seen in a way that goes beyond the name our parents gave us, or the nicknames others call us by. It is rather by a soul-deep identity which our Heavenly Father has given to us. As for Oliver, I truly appreciated his character and how he came alongside and complimented Elizabeth (Libby) on this journey. He had a gentle, understanding, and naturally caring demeanor that made their interactions easy and natural. I would have loved to have spent more time in their company, watching their relationship develop and being privy to more of their conversations. Their love story was just so sweet and their interactions so heart-warming! There are just a couple of content cautions. Libby does reference her belief and estimation of Darwin and his evolutionary theories, and that mindset/viewpoint never seems to be challenged or firmly disputed. Some references which tier us alongside ‘animals’ in our behavior—such as attracting a mate and primal instincts/needs. These references are subtle, but no less present, in a few places. The romance is a bit fast-paced, as the characters do not know each other very long before they pursue their attraction for each other, but nothing inappropriate or physical beyond holding hands and kissing. I would recommend this book to older teens and adults looking for a clean and faith-oriented romantic-adventure set in a beautiful and historic setting. In summary, I found this to be a beautiful story that combined soul-searching questions about faith and our place in this world with the adventure and mystery of a treasure hunt, and a sweet and heart-warming romance of finding and fighting for true love. I look forward to continuing this series! I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher and author for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

I really enjoyed this one. It had complexities of family relationships without being tedious or those complexities slowing the story down. Great dialogue. Interesting journey of MC rejecting God in favor of science, and coming to realize God has created an orderly natural world. Sweet romance. Vicar seemed ignorantly unprotective at times, in favor of the plot. Loved the island setting. Loved every side character- well developed and cannot wait to see what happens to them all. Each is flawed but loveable. Pacing was off a tad but that could have been me.

The Nature of a Lady by Roseanna M. White Back of the Book: “1906 Lady Elizabeth "Libby" Sinclair, with her love of microscopes and nature, isn't favored in society. She flees to the beautiful Isles of Scilly for the summer and stumbles into the dangerous secrets left behind by her holiday cottage's former occupant, also named Elizabeth, who mysteriously vanished. Oliver Tremayne--gentleman and clergyman--is determined to discover what happened to his sister, and he's happy to accept the help of the girl now living in what should have been Beth's summer cottage . . . especially when he realizes it's the curious young lady he met briefly two years ago, who shares his love of botany and biology. But the hunt for his sister involves far more than nature walks, and he can't quite believe all the secrets Beth had been keeping from him. As Libby and Oliver work together, they find ancient legends, pirate wrecks, betrayal, and the most mysterious phenomenon of all: love.” Impressions: Oh, I love suspense… but I hate it! Waiting for answers isn’t my strong suit but read on I did (channeling Yoda there) and you won’t want to miss this adventure. Rated: Murder (not graphic) Liked: I loved this book. How can you not like a well written treasure hunt with romance bundled up!? I enjoyed all the characters and their unique personalities😉. Disliked: The fact that I have to wait for the next books… Quotes: “Never in her life had she disobeyed her brother though. Or, before that, their father. The very idea of it made her stomach squirm.” – Ok back story I was the obedient goodie two shoes… I read this and sparks flew. A new reader-character relationship made 😊 “But he prayed every day it would be enough to satisfy her. That she’d come home in September and forget all her fool ideas about needing something more, something bigger, something else. She was always after the else, Beth was. Despite it always disappointing her.” – Ok back story I have a sister… take out Beth’s name and that’s her. Another character spark. “Because it’s by naming a thing, knowing a thing, that you come to understand it. Only when you see its unique traits can you truly appreciate what it is, and what it isn’t…He (God) knows you, and He calls you by it. You, in all your uniqueness. You, in everything that differentiates you from others. You, in all you have in common with them. He knows you, and He calls you by name. He knows how you fit into this world…You are you, which is absolutely perfect.”- 3- in -1 here but it all is relative to the same idea. God named us, knows us (faults and all), and loves us as we are. “Why should she spend the read of her life struggling to fit into a world that couldn’t appreciate her?” -Anxiety, depression… they come easy to me. I struggle sometimes with trying to fit in and trying to be liked. It feels silly as an adult to still feel this way but the more I turn to Jesus the less I feel the pull to be confused in who I am. Do I still feel insecure, frustrated to fit in… yes, but I need to redirect my focus of who I’m trying to impress or be validated by and look to the Lord. From there I see who I am and was made to be. I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for my honest review shared here.

Title: The Nature of a Lady Author: Roseanna M White Ch: 27 Pg: 384 Series: The Secrets of the Isles Genre: Christian Historical fiction, Christian Historical Romance Rating: 4.5 stars Publisher: Behtany House The Nature of a Lady is different from Roseanna’s previous books but I still enjoyed it. Though I have to say it did start out a little slow, but by the fourth chapter I was hooked. I loved the character of Lady Elizabeth Sinclair but then I’ve always been a sucker for heroines who aren’t exactly society’s normal and Roseanna never fells to deliver those heroines. And the hero Oliver what can I say I love slightly nerdy hero. They are the best. And enjoyed seeing a clergyman as a hero as you don’t see that that often. But more importantly I loved the threads of friendship in the book. Of the friendships forged in unlikely places. As with all of Roseanna’s novels the faith element it woven through the story from beginning to end. The mystery element of the story kept me on my toes and turning pages to find out what happened. I loved the ending and I look forward to the next book in the series. I received a complimentary copy from the publishers. I was not required to provide a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone. I received a copy of this book from the publisher through netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.

The Nature of a Lady begins a new series, The Secrets of the Isles, by Roseanna White. Set in the Isles of Scilly it tells the story of two Elizabeth's. Lady Elizabeth just wants an escape from the expectations of home so she rents a summer cottage. What she finds instead is a missing boarder also named Elizabeth, a treasure hunt, and love. The Nature of a Lady starts out slow as books sometimes do when they're laying the foundation for future books. What was immediately clear was that Lady Elizabeth wasn't like other women of her class and desperately needed a friend. I like how the mystery unfolded slowly while being intertwined with the coming alive of Lady Elizabeth. Libby bloomed on the Scillies. She learned more about who she was and what was her purpose. She also learned more about God. It's interesting to note that like many of us, Libby initially had a one-dimensional view of God--a God so like us, He could be kept in a box. Under Oliver's tutelage she learned more about her Creator and how big He is. The romance between Libby and Oliver began as a friendship and was strengthened by common interests.  Oliver saw Libby in  a way others didn't. I would have liked to see more of their relationship played out on the pages but what was portrayed shows what could become a strong marriage. There were a number of secondary characters that were introduced in this book whose stories I'd love to hear so I look forward to the next book in the series. The major theme in The Nature of a Lady is that God knows your name. He created us and we are His. Even when the circumstances of our lives aren't ideal, God sees us and has a plan for us. The Nature of a Lady is a complete story but there are some issues that were not resolved in this book and will be continued in future books. I received an advanced reader's copy from the publishers through NetGalley; a positive review was not required.

Roseanna M. White’s newest release, The Nature of a Lady, has all the elements I love in a good book. Intelligent woman, science, islands, overbearing family, beloved underdog who captures the heroine’s heart, mystery, and intrigue. Libby is someone I can wholly relate to as a science minded person. There are multiple lines and quotes that reverberated with me because they approach the experience of God from someone with a mind that is more logically oriented. Oliver does an excellent job of using science to help point her towards God and uses her own reasoning and logic to help her see things. I love intelligent conversations! Beyond all this, there is the tender romance that Roseanna is known for, in addition to the mayhem and mystery created by there being two Elizabeths. I highlighted multiple lines and plan to reread many sections. I love the descriptions of the island and the way of life in the Scillies. I learned a lot about the area and customs as well. I cannot recommend this one highly enough. I received a complimentary copy from the publisher via NetGalley and all opinions expressed are my own, freely given.

The characters were fantastic! This may be my favorite book by Roseanne White. This story took me on quite the journey, secrets, mystery, pirates, treasure and murder all keep the reader in a whirl wind. There is a sweet romance that is a added bonus to the story. I loved watching Lady Elizabeth mature over the summer. God was woven so beautifully into the story and flowed nicely with the story, not overbearing but a beautiful growth. Forgiveness from hurt whether friend or foe, truth and learning to let go of the past and find that place you belong is wrapped in a story that is filled with excitement and energy leaving any reader truly captivated. Was given a complimentary copy. All opinions are my own.

The Nature of a Lady is the first book in Roseanna M. White’s new series The Secrets of the Isles. Mistaken identity, pirate treasure, and budding love, this book has it all. If you’ve followed me for long, you’ll likely already know I’m a big fan of Roseanna M. White’s work. The Nature of a Lady is another wonderful addition to her collection (or my collection of her books!) I loved this story. The spiritual truths, the science, the pirate lore, the sweet, sweet romance – it was so good! It’s also a story I’m happy to have on my shelves because it’s one I know I will reread. The characters were endearing and made me excited for the rest of the series. None of the characters are from previous series, so if you’re new to Roseanna M. White’s stories, this is a perfect place to start. And I hope you will pick up a copy. It’s a lovely story in every way. --- I received a complimentary copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with FTC guidelines.

Love, Love, Love!!! I was totally swept away to the islands off the coast of Cornwall in The Nature of a Lady! I have loved Roseanna White's previous books but I think this may be my new favorite! I was so enchanted by Libby, Oliver and the islands. I can see how one could fall in love with this place and not only want to visit but have a peaceful, happy life there. There is romance and intrigue, beautiful gardens and rugged men racing boats...what more could I want?! I'm quite excited that there is more to come of The Secrets of the Isles! Thank you Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review. All opinions are my own.

I am a confirmed fan of Roseanna M. White’s novels and must read each of her latest as soon as they are released. The Nature of a Lady has just hit bookstore shelves and I encourage all readers to grab a copy soon, even if the author is unknown to you. Unless I miss my guess, she will soon be a favorite. Like many other readers I had never heard of the Isles of Scilly off the coast of Cornwall. This book has brought them to my attention and although I will probably never be able to travel there I have already enjoyed browsing through photos of them. What a beautiful place filled with history that includes pirates, smuggling, hidden caves, and all manner of beautiful flowering gardens. Although this story is not set during a war as so many of White’s books are, it has its share of mystery and suspense woven into a delightfully romantic tale of mistaken identity. What better hero than clergyman Oliver whose gentle touch of one’s elbow tends to make all things right with a person’s world. I like to think that it was the Holy Spirit working through him. And Libby, a pampered daughter pulling at the bit of her parents’ expectations, takes matters into her own hands and escapes for a relaxing summer in a cottage by the sea with her maid where she can sketch native plants to her heart’s content. Secrets abound and Libby finds herself right in the middle of a mystery that includes a missing young woman and even the possibility of hidden treasure. I absolutely loved this wonderful tale filled with so many quotable passages. A story of finding one’s perfect place in the world and a message of the power of forgiveness, The Nature of a Lady is a keeper and I already want to read it again.

To Save a King (True Blue Royal, #2 by Rachel Hauck is an enjoyable read. It is the second book of the series but I was able to connect with it even without reading the first book. I do plan to go back and read it because this book was so good. It's a fairytale and who doesn't love a fairytale. Gemma Stone runs a rescue ranch for hurting animals back in her home town. She has returned with secrets and hurts from trying to make it in the movies. Prince John is in Hearts Bend to heal from a broken engagement. They get thrown together by mutual friends in a three legged race. Healing, friendship and maybe more. A fun read by a talented author. You will enjoy this story. I received a complimentary copy this book from the publishers. I was not required to provide a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.

The secrets of the Isles... the Lady definitely loved nature and wanted a quiet life to study it. Perfect title for this story. I enjoyed this story of two Elizabeth's that were similar in size and easily mistaken for the other. Exciting and fast moving when they ended up being hunted by the same people. The characters were so entertaining and full of secrets and lies. Kept me guessing on who was doing the hunting ri