The Facts and Legends of Callie Catwell

Pub Date 13 Apr 2021 | Archive Date 05 Apr 2021
GenZ Publishing, Zenith Publishing

Talking about this book? Use #TheFactsandLegendsofCallieCatwell #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

#1 New Release for YA LGBTQ+ Fiction on Amazon

Being a teenager can be hard, especially if you’re Callie Catwell.

She already has plenty of worries in her life—a father struggling with anorexia, a friend with an abusive stepfather, an ex-boyfriend who won’t let their relationship go, and questioning her sexuality and new feelings for her best friend— and that’s not even taking into consideration the struggles that just come from growing up. Things suddenly take a strange turn when she sees a monster in the Lost Lake one morning.

Finding that monster soon becomes an obsession, one that distracts her from the anxieties in her life. While she initially welcomes the distraction, Callie soon has to decide if she is ready to face her struggles or ruin her relationships with her family and friends—and the monster’s strange magic—forever.

#1 New Release for YA LGBTQ+ Fiction on Amazon

Being a teenager can be hard, especially if you’re Callie Catwell.

EDITION Ebook
ISBN 9781952919190

4 stars I loved this. This is lovely. Not sure how to sum it up, but it’s beautiful & real & awkward & honest. I wish I had this book to read when I was 17. [What I liked:] •The narration is first person which is not my favorite, but it’s so well done in this book. Callie’s voice is natural & believable, yet poetic at touches. It’s a really great blend of awkward teen inner monologue & eloquent wistfulness. •Every character is important & means something to the story. Each one feels unique & real & has their own voice. That’s hard to achieve. •Callie is so three dimensional & real—her awkwardness around people, her frustrations in figuring out her sexuality, her struggles to support Raf & her dad & Mei but not push them too hard. I don’t know, but the whole story really resonated for me. •I think the weightier issues (eating disorder, domestic violence, sexual assault, unhealthy relationships) were handled sensitively but I think realistically; and without getting melodramatic or just adding trauma to manipulate reader emotions. I respect that. •Yay for queer characters! There are 5(?), including the 3 MC’s, & including an ace character. [What I didn’t like as much:] •I’m not sure I have anything major to critique? At points Callie’s denial & trying to force herself to like someone & something she obviously didn’t was painful. Like it felt like it dragged out a bit too long. But then again, those things are confusing when you’re a teen & still figuring stuff out (been there, know that), so maybe that’s an unfair criticism. CW: eating disorder/anorexia, sexual assault, domestic violence [I received an ARC ebook copy from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review. Thank you for the book!]