The Traveling Camera

Lewis Hine and the Fight to End Child Labor

Pub Date 14 Sep 2021 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #TheTravelingCamera #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

This picture book chronicles the travels of Lewis Hine, who used his camera to document child labor in the 20th century

Stunning visuals and poetic text combine to tell the inspiring story of Lewis Hine (1874–1940), a teacher and photographer who employed his art as a tool for social reform. Working for the National Child Labor Committee (NCLC), Hine traveled the country, taking pictures of children as young as five toiling under dangerous conditions in cotton mills, seafood canneries, farms, and coal mines. He often wore disguises to sneak into factories, impersonating a machinery inspector or traveling salesman. He said, “If I could tell this story in words, I wouldn't need to lug a camera.” His poignant pictures attracted national attention and were instrumental in the passage of child labor laws. The Traveling Camera includes extensive back matter with timelines, original photographs, and a bibliography.

Advance Praise

“A beautiful and heartwarming book—I give it my highest recommendation.” —Kate Sampsell-Willman, author of Lewis Hine as Social Critic

"This book is stunning, both in words and pictures, truly a snapshot of history."—Jane Yolen, author of Owl Moon, Devil’s Arithmetic, and I Am the Storm

“Lyrical writing combines with charming illustrations to deepen the reader’s engagement with Hine and the children he cared about. The Traveling Camera offers a way of looking at history as a confluence of art, activism, and social change.” —Uma Krishnaswami, author of Book Uncle and Me and Step Up to the Plate, Maria Singh

"This book is stunning, both in words and pictures, truly a...

Marketing Plan

Marketing and Publicity Plans Summary Points:

-National publicity campaign, including print and online media

-Pre-publication print and Digital ads in trade publications

-Comprehensive social media campaign including cover reveal, Goodreads giveaways, etc. - Targeted outreach to ABA member stores, including offering review copies via Advance Access

-Pursue events, conferences, in-person & virtual promotional opportunities such as School Library Journal Picture Book Virtual Event, Texas Library Association Conference 2022, California Library Association Conference 2021, Society for Photographic Education Conference 2022, possible local signings in author/illustrator hometowns

Marketing and Publicity Plans Summary Points:

-National publicity campaign, including print and online media

-Pre-publication print and Digital ads in trade publications

-Comprehensive social media...

ISBN 9781947440067

This is excellent! I love the story, rhythm of the words and illustrations and back matter. A great book about how one man and his camera made a difference.

This book captured my attention and kept me engaged until the end. It tells the story of Lewis Hines, who traveled around the country with his camera, documenting young children working difficult jobs with long hours. His pictures were worth a thousand words and showed the public that something must be done to end child labor. While there are beautiful illustrations throughout the book, the real gems are the actual photographs by Lewis Hines found at the back of the book. There is also much valuable information about the history of child labor. My elementary and middle school aged children both loved it! Highly recommended!

This was a really interesting book, looking at the life and work of Lewis Hine, who used photography to explore child labour in the early twentieth century. The book is very cleverly designed, using powerful illustrations alongside text from Hine's own letters and reports. At the end of the book is a comprehensive biography of Hine as well as copies of the original photos of children featured in the book. This part was clearly very well thought out, not just tacked onto the end of the main book, as can sometimes be the case with non-fiction picture books and I enjoyed this as much, if not more than the main part!

Wow! What a book! Definitely a must read, regardless of your age. This book documents the life and work of Lewis Hine in the form of a children's book with the eye-widening topic of child labor. In the early 1900's Lewis Hine (who himself worked at a young age to help support his family after his fathers death); eventually becoming a janitor at a school where he was encouraged to work with students. He (with his students) learned photography and began documenting working youth by taking photographs and taking notes of their age and height. The first (roughly) half of the book is the story, in easy to understand prose and beautiful illustrations. The remainder of the book includes some pictures of Lewis Hine's work and a timeline of his life. Really well done. Very touching. If the book is lacking in anyway, I wish there were more of Lewis Hine's photographs. But all in all, really so thankful to have stumbled across this EXCELLENT book. Very nicely done! Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher (Getty Publications), the author Alexandra S D Hinrichs and illustrator Michael Garland for the opportunity to review this advance read copy in exchange for an honest review. Publication date 14 Sept 2021.

A great book about Lewis Hine and how he used his photography to expose child labor practices in the US. The book is mostly illustrated but includes some of his pictures too.

This book integrates poetic text, quotes from Lewis Hine, and illustrations that are often recognizable representations of Hine’s photographs to tell the story of one man’s crusade against child labor. The text is written as if narrated by Hine. “Notes to the Reader” deal with the use of voice and storytelling in literature, and the role of art in promoting social change. An excellent addition to the literature of social reform.

This is one of those books that shows how complex history can be. Who knows how long it would have taken to establish a safer world for children had it not been for one man and his camera? People tend to be more empathetic when they can see a problem with their own eyes. I've always admired his work and encourage adults to look for more examples. I highly recommend this read to any age!