Flash Fire

The Extraordinaries, Book Two

Pub Date 13 Jul 2021 | Archive Date 15 Feb 2022

Talking about this book? Use #FlashFire #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

First editions of the Flash Fire hardcover come with a reversible jacket!

Flash Fire is the explosive sequel to The Extraordinaries by New York Times and USA Today bestselling author TJ Klune!

Through bravery, charm, and an alarming amount of enthusiasm, Nick landed himself the superhero boyfriend of his dreams. Now instead of just writing stories about him, Nick actually gets to kiss him. On the mouth. A lot. But having a superhero boyfriend isn’t everything Nick thought it would be—he’s still struggling to make peace with his own lack of extraordinary powers.

When new Extraordinaries begin arriving in Nova City—siblings who can manipulate smoke and ice, a mysterious hero who can move objects with their mind, and a drag queen superhero with the best name and the most-sequined costume anyone has ever had—it’s up to Nick and his friends Seth, Gibby, and Jazz to determine who is virtuous and who is villainous.

And new Extraordinaries aren’t the only things coming to light. Long-held secrets and neglected truths are surfacing that challenge everything Nick knows about justice, family, and being extraordinary. Which is a lot to handle when Nick really just wants to finish his self-insert bakery AU fanfic.

Will it all come together in the end or will it all go down in flames?

First editions of the Flash Fire hardcover come with a reversible jacket!

Through...

Marketing Plan

Marketing Campaign

- National print and online publicity campaign

- National author tour

- Extensive national print and online advertising campaign, targeting readers of YA fantasy, YA LGBTQ romance, and fanfiction.

- Prepublication buzz campaign, including trade and consumer advertising

- Early-reader review programs via NetGalley, Shelf Awareness, Goodreads, Book Riot, and YA book festivals

- Major e-galley distribution to media, booksellers, YA influencers, and industry big mouths

- Indie Next campaign

- Major digital marketing campaign to include partnering with YA LGBTQ influencers, content reveals, author videos, newsletter promotions, sweepstakes, custom social assets, and extensive coverage on Tor Teen’s social media platforms

- Preorder sweepstakes with limited edition promotional item

- Digital preview

- LGBTQ promotions for Pride month

- Promotions tied with Mental Health Awareness month

- Cross promotions with We Need Diverse Books

- Extensive school and library marketing including conference promotions

Marketing Campaign

- National print and online publicity campaign

- National author tour

ISBN 9781250203687

Nicky, yes! Perfect sequel is perfect. The tone is a little different than The Extraordinaries; as the plot has a bit more seriousness and serious topics discussed. BUT the comedic writing and dialogue is still very much there. The heart of the story so pulled me in. Klune's storytelling is so refreshing. He knows what's what and I mean look at the characters he's given us and their relationships. I love Nick and Seth and Jazz and Gibby. And I absolutely adore Nick's relationship with his dad. And something I find so much fun is that most of the plot is pretty obvious(where it's going), and it's so very much on purpose. Because we as the reader are like Nicky, open your eyes. But that's Nick, in a nutshell, can never see what's right in front of him(ahem, Seth). All the feels here. I cannot CANNOT(!!!) wait for the finale(and quietly hope that this series is going to turn out longer than a trilogy).

A great continuation for Seth and Nick. A positive representation of the LGBTQ+ community. This book doesn’t stand alone without book 1. Read that first. I’m looking forward to book 3.

Another mind blowingly brilliant book from TJ Klune, Flash Fire is the perfect follow up to The Extraordinaries. Fun and irreverent, this superhero series seems to be going from strength to strength. Very little actually happens until the last chapter of the book, but the characters are so funny and engaging that I really didn't care. After finishing the last book, I said I wanted a book totally devoted to Nick dad, and this almost delivered that, providing pages and pages of Aaron being an amazing Dad. Even if the rest of the book weren't phenomenal (which it is!), I would recommend it on that basis alone... This book has such immense heart, it feels like a warm hug. Everybody should be running to pick it up! I received a copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This is a sequel to The Extraordinaries, which was also a book that I really enjoyed. This book continues to follow Nick, who is a nerodivergent, superhero enthusiast, fan fiction writer. I always love Nick and his humor and the on brand humor of a T.J. Klune book. I don't want to go too into depth with this review since it is a sequel and so most if what I would discuss would be spoilers if you haven't read the first book. I will say, I really enjoyed this even more so then the first book. I loved that some of the foreshadowing that was done in the first book was revealed in this book and I love being right about my suspicions. I love that we had more growth of all of the characters and this also widened the family circle to include more of the parents, who are notthing but loving and supportive. I loved that we also had a whirlwind cliffhanger that makes me need the third book immediately. Honestly, this was SOOOOOO enjoyable and just brought me to a really happy place emotionally. I feel like T.J. Klune's books always feed my need to feel the acceptance and love they radiate. This author has nourished my heart and left me feeling light and excited for the next book in this series.

So happy to have gotten the sequel to the amazing first book! I was so excited to read this one. First of all let me just say the characters were absolutely amazing! I especially loved getting to see Nick again in this book, and his character is as good as I remembered from book one! The relationship was amazing, of course. I could not put this book down. Often times, I read books for the characters, and the plot is just an added bonus. However, in this book the plot was so good I felt so drawn into the story (of course the characters were amazing too, don't get me wrong)! Overall this book is amazing, and will completely draw you in from the very beginning. Great characters, plot, and a story you will not want to put down.

What a great sequel to an amazing YA superhero story. TJ Klune has such a way of creating characters that pull at your heart and stomp on it. Um, I need the last one NOW.

Thank you to netgalley and publishers for allowing me access to this E-Arc for an honest review. With this being a sequel I won’t say too much regarding the plot as spoilers are awful. 4.5 stars from me. I just loved this book. It felt like the great sequel it’s still got laughter and heart that all of Klune’s books have and within the first few pages I was crying with laughter. Then a few chapters left I was crying with sadness, the ability to do this is why I love Klunes writing style. This book is definitely more gripping as it focuses a lot on accountability. Especially regarding the ‘pro-cop’ issues the first book had. And dealing with cops and racism We are introduced to a few new heroes in this one which is an added bonus. Especially meeting Miss Conductor. She steals the scene!! The ending however let this book down for me. I feel like that added bonus part should have been kept for book 3 and made a better revelation (even though it’s not a massive one if you guessed while reading it) 4.5 stars from me.

I love this so much. It's so ridiculous in some places, but the camp is part of the charm. Nick and his friends are loveable and fun. There were some laugh out loud parts that had tears coming down my face (like when Nick forgets to turn his Bluetooth off and blasts...a movie...into his dad's car and Aaron proceeds to give a very embarrassing demonstration to the boys. I also appreciate how Klune approaches real life social issues, including how he shifted some of the attitudes regarding Nick's dad and his occupation. I thought things were handled well. Overall, this may not be for everyone, given the narrator is a teenager with ADHD who tends to be clueless and all over the place, but it was my brand of ADHD, so I appreciate the rep and found it to be a very enjoyable read.

So happy to be back with Nick Bell! He is one of my favorite characters. This book is a must purchase for any high school library.