The Final Chapter

An absolutely gripping psychological thriller with a jaw-dropping twist

Pub Date 12 Aug 2021 | Archive Date 14 Jun 2021
Hodder & Stoughton, Hodder Paperbacks

Talking about this book? Use #TheFinalChapter #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Whatever you do, DON'T give away that ending...

"Terribly addictive" * * * * *

Three good friends.

One tragic summer.
A book that tells it all.

"A tremendously compelling page-turner" * * * * *

Whatever you do, DON'T give away that ending...

"Terribly addictive" * * * * *

Three good friends.

One tragic summer.
A book that tells it all.

"A tremendously compelling page-turner" * * * * *

When...

PRICE £9.99 (GBP)

Send To Kindle (PDF)

#TheFinalChapter #NetGalley Psychological thriller with an outstanding final twist. Superb plot. 1986, Julie goes missing in summer 1986, David and Samuel share the terrible secret of her disappearance. Thirty years later, David has become a famous author and Samuel his publisher. Both receive identical manuscript chapters telling the story of what really happened that tragic summer.Chapter after chapter, the author reveals their darkest secrets. They know the book will end with its 12th chapter. A race against time begins: will David and Samuel expose the mysterious author's identity before he exposes them? And did one of them kill Julie? To know more, just read it. It's really worth your time. I loved it's narration. Thanks to NetGalley and Hodder Straighten for giving me an advanced copy.

Guilt can slowly eat a person from inside out, well if you feel any guilt that is. Samuel and David have done their best to forget what happened to Julie in 1986, they were so young at the time. Really, who could blame them? Thirty years on and both men work in publishing, Daniel writing books while Samuel acts as his publisher. Then one day, both men begin to receive identical manuscripts, a chapter at a time, each telling the real story of that long ago summer.

The Final Chapter by Jerome Loubry is a fast-paced mystery filled with intrigue that keeps you hooked! The plot is intricately created through flashbacks and discussions interwoven with the writing of three manuscripts – all identical except for the last chapter which holds the clues to solving the mystery. I enjoyed the way in which the story was crafted and found this style interesting. The characters are relatable and well developed and I felt I got to know them through their childhood memories, such that I understood them in present day. The writing flowed smoothly and quickly, and the transition between the manuscripts and present day created a tense atmosphere which kept my interest and kept me turning the pages. I thoroughly enjoyed the ending which was completely unexpected! Even with all the clues presented, it remained unpredictable. A great novel and an author I will be reading in future. #netgalley #thefinalchapter #jeromeloubry #hodder&stoughton

This book has an interesting premise I really enjoyed. A mind-bending thriller where even you are not sure whose responsible. I highly recommend this fast paced book.

When little Julie goes missing in summer 1986, David and Samuel share the terrible secret of her disappearance. Thirty years later, David has become a famous author and Samuel his publisher. Both receive identical manuscript chapters telling the story of what really happened that tragic summer. This book was not what I was expecting! The character were so real and believable! The story is what kept me hooked from the beginning such awesome writing. Very enjoyable quick read!

France 1986. Sweltering heat. Twelve-year-olds meeting a girl. Infatuation. Factory workers gathering mysteriously. A girl missing. And meanwhile, there’s so much tension under the surface. This story is about David and Samuel, mostly told from David's perspective. Friends from childhood and still friends 31 years later when they both receive a manuscript describing what happened that summer in 1986. But one chapter is different, the final chapter. Another book by Jérôme Loubry has been translated into quite a few languages, including my native one. And now this one has been translated into English. And I’m glad Hodder took the opportunity to do so. Because this is such a well-written book that deserves a much larger reading public. Like I said above, this story has a very tense atmosphere, especially in the flashbacks in the first half of the book. The writing is captivating and vivid, and therefore I could see those kids on the beach, playing in the arcade, feeling the tension but not knowing how to deal with it. Because of the tension in 1986, I liked the first half of the story more than the second half. The second part wasn’t bad at all, but I guessed the major plot twist that made the story a bit more predictable. For me, at least.

Wow what a great read this was, gripped me from the first page, loved everything about this story and a great ending x

The Final Chapter by Jerome Loubry begins with childhood friends David and Samuel both receiving a manuscript that has been pushed through their doors. David is a famous write of crime thrillers and Samuel is his publisher. The manuscripts tell the story of a holiday they took in the Summer of 1986 with their parents and the other employees, and their families ,of the factory where they worked were having the annual holiday paid for by the their Boss. On this holiday the boys meet and befriend Julie , a girl their age, whose disappearance is just part of the terrible events of one horrific night. David and Samuel's manuscripts are identical apart from the final chapter and they are told a third person has also received one. Each final chapter is specific to the recipient and their memories of the events of 1986 From there the story is told in 2 timelines, the build up to Julie's disappearance and the events that the manuscripts and what they contain bring about. It becomes very obvious that someone doesn't want the truth known while the author of the manuscripts wants exactly that. This is an entertaining story,in both timelines the suspense mounts in 1986 as the reader already knows something deeply unpleasant is about to happen and in the later era events escalate and threaten to derail the lives of those sent the manuscripts. There's an overall sense of menace throughout the book. My only disappointment was that I figured out a major plot twist a long time before the main characters did and as I read on "why can't see what's in front of you?" was in the back of my mind. David is also quite an irritating character. That aside it's a great read and I'd like to read more of Jerome Loubry's books.

Terrific plot here, centring on three children meeting on holiday in the idyllic setting of a French beach. Their families are not as innocent as the children, and this becomes increasingly apparent as the story unfolds. Arson, murder, suicides, lies and secrets consume the lives of not just the main characters, but of the many other people involved in the terrible events of that Summer. The plot was more convincing than the writing style for this reviewer, with the narrative suffering from a lack of flow at times, and an occasional confusion over whose voice was telling the tale, but the ending was excellent, drawing all the various strands together and was not predictable until very close to the final paragraphs.

I like the idea of a story in a story or a book in a book. So this grabbed me from the beginning. It is a very tense story with a mystery that happened long time ago and now creeps back into the lives of those involved. The grande finale is a perfect ending for this one which meets all the points for a perfect psychological thriller! Thanks #NetGalley #Hodder & Stoughton for this ARC

The final chapter is a very tense and thrilling read, which will keep you on the edge of your seat! I could not put this book down, I had to continue and finish it until the very end.

I was lucky to receive an advance copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review and opinion. This was the first time I've read anything by this author and I will say he will be added to my list of must reads going forward. This book starts out fast and grabs you from page one and keeps you engaged until the very last sentence. Loved it!

🌅Well & truly hooked on a tragic summer beach story😍 I could not put it down! I loved the slow piecing together of a halcyon summer vacation for young David, Samuel and their new friend Julie that ends in horrific tragedy. Thirty-one years later the scapegoat for murder is about to be released from prison and someone wants to set the record straight. There are so many elements to the mystery of what happened, why and by whom that, while I guessed correctly about a few, I was eagerly glued to my e-reader until the twists come together and to light at the end. While the frequent change of perspective and back and forth from the past to the present was occasionally confusing, The Final Chapter was an excellent, riveting read! Thanks to publishers Hodder & Stoughton and NetGalley for providing a complimentary advance copy of the book; this is my voluntary and honest review.

A different premise with varied characters told in two timelines. The initial part of the story is very captivating and realistic. The story of the children and their different background and friendship are all engaging. But the later part of the story became a tad predictable for me.

An absolutely wonderful , chilling and compelling read. It was very intriguing and would appeal to all of those readers who fancy trying their detection skills!! There are two timelines in this story, 1986 and 2017. Events from 1986 are set in France, in the Vendee area, in the coastal resort of St. Hilaire de Riez, on the Atlantic coast. Julie goes missing in 1986. Her holiday playmates David and Samuel, share the secret of her disappearance, but each has a guilty secret, that has relevance to the case, unbeknown to the other. 2017, David is now a famous writer, and Samuel is his publisher. One day, they both receive identical manuscripts that reveal the real truth of that summer day, chapter by chapter. It is apparently written by someone who was possibly present when the crime was committed, but the titular last chapter is not identical, but aimed specifically at the reader. The last chapter must be puzzled out so the killer can be revealed, but the killer doesn’t want to be found, and is willing to take the secret to the grave, and both men could be in danger. A suspenseful book, the perfect book to play detective, with a real sense of menace throughout. There is Arson, murder, suicide, mental problems, haunting, violence, ghosts, alcohol and violence, almost a full house!! All this takes place against the beautiful backdrop of the Vendee, a place mostly associated with happy holidays, sunshine, beignets and glacé desserts. My family have enjoyed many happy holidays in that area, Sainte Jean - de- Monts and Les Sables d’ Olonne, and it never seemed a place for Murder!! Very addictive reading! I am going to search out the other books from this author. I will leave reviews on Goodreads and Amazon, and will recommend this to my local library and book groups when we are allowed to meet again. A definite 5 star read. Thanks to Netgalley and Hodder and Stoughton for my ARC in exchange for my honest review.

A real mystery - a great plot - the end was not what i was expecting at all - if you like a thriller which twists and turns then this is for you.

I love stories with bookish elements, and there was just something about the blurb of The Final Chapter that made me want to read it immediately. I hadn't realized initially this was actually a translation of a story that was originally written in French, which made me even more excited to read it as I always love discovering new international authors. And I'm so glad that this story caught my eye, as I ended up having excellent time reading it. First of all I have to say that the translation seems flawless and really makes the story flow naturally. There were some abrupt POV changed that made me reread certain parts, but that was most likely just a layout issue in the ARC... As a whole, I definitely loved the concept of a book within a book and having the chapters of the text that is sent to the three characters fully incorporated into the story itself added an unique touch. These chapter work as flashbacks to 1986 and the mystery around the different final chapters and what they hide added a healthy level of suspense to the story. I enjoyed learning more about the different characters and what happened during that summer in 1986. The small French holiday town made for a great backdrop and I liked how the different characters were woven into the plot. I did guess part of the final reveals, although the big twist did come as a surprise for me... I'm not sure how everything was wrapped up would be actually credible though. I mean, wouldn't there be more percusions for hiding the truth for that long?! That said, it was interesting to see everything come together at last. I ended up having mixed feelings about the different characters in play, but I liked that they all had their flaws and it was intriguing to see them develop as well as to learn more about their past. I do always love a bookish main character, although David did come over as a bit of a cliche... But he works well in the plot I guess. In short, The Final Chapter turned out to be an intriguing and quite unique take on a book within a book that has quite a surprise for you in store before you reach that final page.

I’ve been so keen to read this book so when I got approved for it on NetGalley on Saturday I immediately started reading it and I read the whole thing in one sitting! The Final Chapter follows David, a famous writer, who one day receives a typed book in the post and it turns his world upside down. The pages he receives detail what happened in the summer of 1986 when a young girl he knew was murdered. It then turns out that his childhood best friend received the same book but with a different ending. David is determined to work out what the book is trying to tell him about that fateful summer. This novel is so fast-paced, with short chapters that make it impossible to put it down as you keep thinking that you’ll just read one more chapter! This novel grabbed me from the beginning and I was enthralled all the way to the end. It’s a book that doesn’t always add up but it’s such a fun ride and I loved every minute that I spent reading it. I recommend this one if you want an addictive, fast-paced and fun read.

This is a brilliant read. Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the start. Love the well fleshed out characters and found them believable. Great suspense and action with wonderful world building. Can't wait to read what the author brings out next. Recommend reading. I was provided an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher. This is my own honest voluntary review.

The summer of 1986 was a summer to remember. The local factory was going to permanently shut its doors putting a lot of people out of work. He wanted to give all his employees week of rest and relaxation for them and their families. David and Samuel were good friends. Both their fathers worked at the factory. They had other things in common .. how their fathers viewed them, how they and their mothers were treated. They make a new friend, Julie, who was just a tad younger than them. But then Julie goes missing. Its been 30 years since that summer. David has become a famous author ... Samuel is his publisher. Neither of them have ever discussed that summer .. but someone knows exactly what happened. David and Samuel each receive a manuscript written by an anonymous source. The chapters each tell the story of what really happened that summer. It also states that it was sent to one other person... but who? and why? The story takes us back and forth .. from one person to another. An explosive fire, a child's body, dark secrets. There are many suspects with varied motivations... and there is at least one person who knows the truth of what happened. Twists and turns keep the suspense high until the most unexpected conclusion. Many thanks to the author / Hodder & Stoughton / Netgalley for the digital copy of this crime fiction. Read and reviewed voluntarily, opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.

Wow, I was really impressed with this novel. At first I wasn't so sure if I was going to like it based off of the first couple of chapters but then I got into it and was definitely a fan! The writing is incredible and the author did a great job at the ending.

I was provided The Final Chapter by Jerome Loubry as an ARC through NetGalley in return for an honest review. All opinions are my own and thanks is extended to the author, publishers and NetGalley for allowing me to do so. David, Samuel, and Julie were childhood friends in the Summer of 1986. Until she disappeared. Thirty years later, David is a famous author and Samuel is his Publisher. Each receives a Manila envelope with the first chapter of what will be twelve, of a manuscript exposing the TRUTH about what happened that Summer. There will also be a third recipient. Each is receiving the document because of his or own failure in the Past. One failed to listen. One failed to report what he saw. One should have spoken out. And, the sender wants the truth to finally be exposed. But who knows all of their secrets? I was grabbed from the very start by this book due to the idea of a story within a story and it totally worked for me, I was hooked from the beginning. The narrative is carried out perfectly and the characters are relatable, likeable and well written with the use of childhood memories along with present day really allowing readers to get to know the characters as they develop through the story. The plot is complexly created through the use of flashbacks and discussions intertwined with the three manuscripts, all of which are identical except for the last chapter which holds the clues to solving the mystery. I found this style unusual and really enjoyable. The best part that was the ending was unpredictable right up to the last which is a rarity in crime fiction. I cannot wait to read more of Jerome Loubry’s work.

This is a really great summer mystery read. Highly recommended for the perfect escape read. I was hooked and loved the ending. The way the book is written is fantastic enjoyed the characters xx

David and Samuel met Julie in the summer of 1986 on what was to be the last stay at the company's holiday village. They bonded well for 12 year olds. But Julie tragically died that summer. We meet David and Samuel again in 2017 when the story of that summer emerges through the manuscripts delivered to the 2 friends plus an ex policeman. They are identical except for the last chapter. We follow the story back and forward as the mystery unravels. It is interesting, well crafted and gripping.

I was drawn right in to this tense thriller.A true page turner kept me guessing from beginning to end.Characters that come alive so well written will be recommending.#netgalley #hodder&stoughton

Summer 1986. David, Samuel and Julie meet on vacation by the sea. The three teenagers become inseparable, but Julie suddenly disappears. 30 years later, David has become a writer, Samuel is his editor. Since the tragedy, they never spoke about Julie again. One day, everyone receives an envelope. Inside, an enigmatic manuscript recounts the events of that tragic summer, shedding a whole new light on the case. Strengths: A dark and addictive novel that keeps you going and a cleverly constructed puzzle.

David and Samuel return every year to this village for a summer holiday courtesy of their parent's employer. They look forward to the relaxed fun they have and for two twelve year olds this was a good time. David had issues, severe abuse issues with his stepfather and Samuel had problems at times with his elder brother. In 1986 they met for the first time Julie, whom they befriended and who very quickly became one of their very close friends. Julie goes missing and so does Emilie another twelve year old and it marks the end of those carefree days. Fast forward thirty years and David and Samuel are still carrying a secret which is haunting them and getting heavier by the day. David is now a successful author and Samuel his publisher. When they both get a manuscript outlining what happened that fateful day, they do know a reckoning is coming. They have to learn now how to deal with it. The sender has sent three manuscripts out, and he wants an outcome. The story is tense and complicated with flashbacks. I liked how it went back and forth between the time lines (there were three here) but it did not distract or detract from the story.

Thank you to Net Galley, the publishers and the author for an ARC copy for an honest review A unique book completely different from any other book read. A quick way to explain this is a book within a book. David, a writer, and Samuel, his publisher receive identical copies of a manuscript. Thirty years before, a girl they both knew was murdered. Now someone has put pen to paper and they seem to know everything, and someone has a third manuscript, but who? David is a famous write of crime thrillers and Samuel is his publisher. The manuscripts tell the story of a holiday they took in the Summer of 1986 with their parents and the other employees, and their families ,of the factory where they worked were having the annual holiday paid for by the their Boss. Well, almost identical. The final chapter is different for each and that’s the crux. On this holiday the boys meet and befriend Julie , a girl their age, whose disappearance is just part of the terrible events of one horrific night. The book is told in two timelines, one present, one 1986. The author has created a unique situation, but the book pace is a little slow, building up to the Final Chapter/Chapters, the book last 30% in fast paced and gripping with some great twists, this lifts the book to a four star. A very different kind of thriller, clever and unique.

I've just this minute finished the unputdownable The Final Chapter and what a masterclass in storytelling. I always admire authors who set out to essentially write two stories and present it as a story in a story, and this was no exception. I guessed the twist fairly early on, but that just kept me racing to the end to see if I was right. A heartbreaking narrative of ruined childhoods, growing up too quickly, and the long-term effects of guilt. This is sure to be a summer reading hit.

When he was 12 years old, David and his best friend, Samuel, spent a week at the beach on holiday. They met a girl their age named Julie and they all became instant friends. By the end of the week, terrible things happen and everyone leaves the beach suddenly to head back home. Now an adult who has put these memories behind him, David is brought back to his childhood and that week, when he receives a manila envelope with a story in it. It's his story - the story of his week at the beach that summer long ago. Who sent him this story and why are they dredging up painful memories? This thriller is really a mystery that has the reader trying to figure things out the entire read. Even if you think you have the mystery solved, it's more complex than you think. You definitely won't want to put the book down until you've reached the conclusion. Thank you to #NetGalley for an ARC copy of #TheFinalChapter by #JeromeLoubry

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Extremely well written and jam packed with secrets and deceit. Told through the present and flashing back to the summer of 1986, this story is unique in its plot is actually very sad.